Waiting in Line?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to me it just sounds smart, not entitled. And your tone is getting pretty close to snarky.

And when we travel to the extreme heat ands humidity of Florida, yeah, sometimes it is DANGEROUS for children, so I guess I'll take that hit for protecting my kids from elements that we aren't used to. We live where Uncle Sam decided they want us to live and right now that is Southern California, so my kids don't do well when we travel to Florida, which is the only time they get to see their grandparents and cousins, so again, I guess I owe everyone an apology for actually trying to enjoy ourselves. Try a little compasion sometimes, it goes a long way.

And so for another apples to apples comparison, all of those who would NEVER think of not having your child wait in line... I hope that you also don't swnd a Fastpass runner to gather the fastpasses for your family Imagine how unfair it is to those in the fastpass distribution line behind you when you pull out a handfull of tickets and not just one. And by the skewed logic of this thread, it isn't fair that your children should be on another attraction while you are getting the fastpasses. They are not ENTITLED to fastpasses they didn't stood in line for.
There is usually NO line for fastpasses, and when there is CM's instruct you to send in one person. It makes the line go FASTER, not slower like having one parent stand in line for 3-4 kids at a character. AS to the heat, keep your kids hydrated and coated in sunscreen , like those of us who deal with it every day do. They will be fine. Our kids are not magically impervious to the heat because we live here. It effects them just as much, but they manage to stand in line. It all boils down to excuses as to why they shouldn't have to. By rights, everyone that wants to meet the character should stand in line to do so. No one's kids are more special than anyone else's.
So, I'm really surprised by this... but I only have one child that is character age and it really does take 1-2 minutes for our interaction, so maybe that's why I can't equate it with child abuse. So I ask, out of curiousity...

Is it wrong to send one parent up to a CS restaurant to order for the rest of the family while everyone else finds a table and waits? You know how you get behind that one person and you're waiting and find out he's ordering for an army? Shouldn't the whole group stand in line for food so I can better judge how long my wait will be?

(btw, this does not bother me at all, as my husband will often order everyone's food while I get condiments and the table set up, but I do not want to be thrashed for it on my next trip. I'd hate to be cussed out over something I was unaware was so wrong...)
On our last trip CM's instructed us to do just this at peak dining times to cut down on congestion. They were standing at the door directing people to tables while one person stood in line to order for the party, so it seems Disneyt would rather we do it this way. It worked nicely, and you could actually get away from the counter with a tray of food without risking spilling it in the mob.

I have been a long time reader but not poster and I really should keep it that way because really this whole thread cracks me up. We go to Disney at min 6x a year bc we live in FL.

My oldest is 4 yrs old and he says thank you, may I, please, sorry, mam/sir, hold doors (that he can handle) for people, has no problem waiting his turn in line or at his mothers day out program he attends 3 days a week. He of course is told NO and even given time outs even at Disney. Does he have his meltdowns of course he is 4! But he has not waited in line at times for numerous reasons and that is my choice as I'm his mother. Also I don't think by not making him wait in a line is making him spoiled, entitled, self-absorbed/centered or that the world revolves around him.

Oh and this is not to make sure he will look perfect for a picture I really could care less if his precious little face was red or his hair messed up!

I agree with whom every posted I have never had an issue with any of this and like I say we go to Disney and many other theme parks numerous times in the year. And all I can say about people get upset at other people holding tables is LOL!!!

Really have more problems with people taking a million pictures with characters to get the perfect picture. But honestly that is my problem and shouldn't stop them at all and I realize that.

Theresa

Sorry to me it just sounds smart, not entitled. And your tone is getting pretty close to snarky.

And when we travel to the extreme heat ands humidity of Florida, yeah, sometimes it is DANGEROUS for children, so I guess I'll take that hit for protecting my kids from elements that we aren't used to. We live where Uncle Sam decided they want us to live and right now that is Southern California, so my kids don't do well when we travel to Florida, which is the only time they get to see their grandparents and cousins, so again, I guess I owe everyone an apology for actually trying to enjoy ourselves. Try a little compasion sometimes, it goes a long way.

And so for another apples to apples comparison, all of those who would NEVER think of not having your child wait in line... I hope that you also don't swnd a Fastpass runner to gather the fastpasses for your family Imagine how unfair it is to those in the fastpass distribution line behind you when you pull out a handfull of tickets and not just one. And by the skewed logic of this thread, it isn't fair that your children should be on another attraction while you are getting the fastpasses. They are not ENTITLED to fastpasses they didn't stood in line for.

I may be snarky, but hello pot.......kettle calling!

My ds11 gets migraines. Bad ones. Excessive heat and humidity aggravate them. We don't expect any special consideration for him. We do travel at a cooler time of year. The one time he got one at Disney, I took him back to the room to ride it out. Fortunately, we've hit on a medication combo that seems to do the trick and as he has gotten older he is more attuned to the symtoms.

We have a medically diagnosed health issue. I guess we should get special treatment.

Excuse me - I am not a militant. I just don't see why it is so difficult for the entire family to stand in line for a character or an attraction. The "excuses" given by some parents are so laughable. I have a clue for you, most kids have short attention spans and don't like to wait in line and are self-centered. It's the job of the parent to teach them how to behave in society, not to make excuses that the kids are tired or bored or sweaty.

:confused3

It's not "so difficult." I think you may be misunderstanding those of us taking the opposite position -- my DDs aren't in a chariot being fanned and fed grapes while I'm off waiting on them hand and foot and saving a place for them in every line. To the contrary -- they are standing in lines with me 99% of time.

BUT, I don't see the problem with in the odd circumstances having my 1-year old run off to the shade or to grab a drink with DH while I stand in line alone or with elder DD. Or vice versa (I have jumped out of lines to go nurse DD and then come back.)

To me it is about using common sense -- the OP asked about 1 young child and a character meet & greet scenario. In that scenario I see nothing wrong with holding a place -- and it certainly isn't "line-cutting."

And holding such a position certainly doesn't justify calling ones children "snowflake,' "princess," etc. and intimiating that ones children are spoiled brats if you do. I wonder what you are teaching your children by jumping to conclusions and holding such preconceived notions.

I have been a long time reader but not poster and I really should keep it that way because really this whole thread cracks me up. We go to Disney at min 6x a year bc we live in FL.

My oldest is 4 yrs old and he says thank you, may I, please, sorry, mam/sir, hold doors (that he can handle) for people, has no problem waiting his turn in line or at his mothers day out program he attends 3 days a week. He of course is told NO and even given time outs even at Disney. Does he have his meltdowns of course he is 4! But he has not waited in line at times for numerous reasons and that is my choice as I'm his mother. Also I don't think by not making him wait in a line is making him spoiled, entitled, self-absorbed/centered or that the world revolves around him.

Oh and this is not to make sure he will look perfect for a picture I really could care less if his precious little face was red or his hair messed up!

I agree with whom every posted I have never had an issue with any of this and like I say we go to Disney and many other theme parks numerous times in the year. And all I can say about people get upset at other people holding tables is LOL!!!

Really have more problems with people taking a million pictures with characters to get the perfect picture. But honestly that is my problem and shouldn't stop them at all and I realize that.

Theresa
Does he not wait in line becuase he doesn't want to do those things, or do you wait in line for him? I can totally see saying," it is not worth waiting in line for", we do that all the time, but I cannot see a parent waiting in line for the child. Our rule is, if you want to do it, you wait in line for it. Period. If it
is not worth the wait, then we don't do it. I don't see why that is a bad thing?
I do think, regardless of what any parent does in other situations, not asking achild to wait in line for things they want to do sends a message I don't want to give my DD. On some level, it says that they are not like those other kids that have to wait in line becuase Mommy will take care of it for them, and even if you are not seeing them now, perpetuating that attitde WILL eventually have consequences.

It's not "so difficult." I think you may be misunderstanding those of us taking the opposite position -- my DDs aren't in a chariot being fanned and fed grapes while I'm off waiting on them hand and foot and saving a place for them in every line. To the contrary -- they are standing in lines with me 99% of time.

BUT, I don't see the problem with in the odd circumstances having my 1-year old run off to the shade or to grab a drink with DH while I stand in line alone or with elder DD. Or vice versa (I have jumped out of lines to go nurse DD and then come back.)

To me it is about using common sense -- the OP asked about 1 young child and a character meet & greet scenario. In that scenario I see nothing wrong with holding a place -- and it certainly isn't "line-cutting."

And holding such a position certainly doesn't justify calling ones children "snowflake,' "princess," etc. and intimiating that ones children are spoiled brats if you do. I wonder what you are teaching your children by jumping to conclusions and holding such preconceived notions.
I don't think anyone is saying taking a toddler to the potty or making sure they get adequate water is a problem. It is the idea that the op had to send the kid to go on other rides, ect while a parent holds thier spot. Going to the potty or getting a drink of water to meet a need is completely different than going off to have fun while Mom or Dad waits in the line for you.

Again, I think this is a bit militant. Do you never do anything for your children? Never let them sit in the shade while you go get them an ice cream? Maybe you don't -- and that is your right.

I guarantee that my kids have manners and are well-behaved. That doesn't mean that I don't indulge them every once in a while. You don't have to have a spartan upbringing to be a good adult -- to the contrary, it is usually those kids that were brought up in a super strict environment that end up having coping issues later on in life.

So your 3 year-old gets near the front of the line after waiting for 30 minutes to see Mickey and needs to go to the bathroom or is super thirsty. You tell them too bad. I say, fine let's go to the bathroom or grab a drink and come right back. Again, your right, but to act like the alternative, which is not inconveniencing you in the least, is somehow rude, is ridiculous.

I do many things to indulge my children, but not when it affects others. That's the difference between what you're saying and what many on here feel is the 'entitlement' attitude. You'll indulge your children whether you have people in line behind you or not. I'd never, ever do that.

If a 3yo has to go potty, that's one thing. But the 3yo being thirsty, they'll honestly live being thirsty while they're waiting. I'd never get out of line for a drink and expect to get back in our old spot. And if the kid is close to passing out from dehydration, then you as a parent haven't done your job of hydrating them properly, and they medically shouldn't be waiting to see a character. They should be in the cool shade hydrating for a good amount of time. Getting them a drink the moment they said they're thirsty if you're in a line sounds soooooo spoiled to me.

Of course I'd get my kids an ice cream, that's not inconveniencing anyone. But I'd never do it while we were on a line for something. That's the difference.

If it is so dangerous for the children to wait in the heat, I suggest going at a different time of year or skipping the characters all together.

Does he not wait in line becuase he doesn't want to do those things, or do you wait in line for him? I can totally see saying," it is not worth waiting in line for", we do that all the time, but I cannot see a parent waiting in line for the child. Our rule is, if you want to do it, you wait in line for it. Period. If it
is not worth the wait, then we don't do it. I don't see why that is a bad thing?
I do think, regardless of what any parent does in other situations, not asking achild to wait in line for things they want to do sends a message I don't want to give my DD. On some level, it says that they are not like those other kids that have to wait in line becuase Mommy will take care of it for them, and even if you are not seeing them now, perpetuating that attitde WILL eventually have consequences.

(just answering the question and making a general response not directed to above statement)Myself or DH have taken my son out of line when it has been blazing hot. He actually was fine in line! But I felt as a mother there was no need to keep him in the blazing sun when he could sit under some shade. Actually there has been plenty of times CM have sent families to shad areas as 1 person stayed in line. I then called them back over when there was 3 families in front of us for some pictures. I have let my child out of line *GASP* to go potty, get a drink, sit in the shade and even *DOUBLE GASP* get ice cream!

Honestly, if you think my child will be self-absorbed then assume (and you know where that word gets you) all you want bc honestly it doesn't bother me because once again I'm his mother and will parent and do what I think is best for my fanily!

we're going the end of August which is lower season but I will definitely have to leave a line and come back at some point. I have a 5 year old, 3 year old and an 18 month old. Potty/drink breaks for the older kids, yup might get them an ice cream or something, an antsy 18 month old... If we waited in line and had to leave at some point due to the kids and DH is holding the spot with the other kids I'll definitely go back up to our spot. I don't care what other people think is "fair", I don't think its "fair" to stand in a line for an hour for something and have to start back over again because one of my kids is going to wet his pants or the 18 month old's head is going to start spinning around. Yeah, I'll tell him to be patient :rolleyes:

And if after standing for a half an hour, I want to take a kid to run and grab an ice cream so be it, we've been waiting, our party is continuing to wait, so I honestly don't care about anyone elses opinion on the matter :rolleyes1

we're going the end of August which is lower season but I will definitely have to leave a line and come back at some point. I have a 5 year old, 3 year old and an 18 month old. Potty/drink breaks for the older kids, yup might get them an ice cream or something, an antsy 18 month old... If we waited in line and had to leave at some point due to the kids and DH is holding the spot with the other kids I'll definitely go back up to our spot. I don't care what other people think is "fair", I don't think its "fair" to stand in a line for an hour for something and have to start back over again because one of my kids is going to wet his pants or the 18 month old's head is going to start spinning around. Yeah, I'll tell him to be patient :rolleyes:

And if after standing for a half an hour, I want to take a kid to run and grab an ice cream so be it, we've been waiting, our party is continuing to wait, so I honestly don't care about anyone elses opinion on the matter :rolleyes1

Wow - and what do you say to the child of a single parent when he/she has to leave the line for a potty break and return.... yes to the end of the line.

Yes, we have left lines, great parade spots and other things to take care of my kids needs and always return to the end of the line.

Once we were in a great parade spot only to have to take my youngest to the bathroom. After which it was pretty close to parade time and at that point we were hoping for a 2nd/3rd row spot anywhere only to be "yelled" at by guests that we should have lined up sooner. Yep after waiting almost an hour on the curb.....

In summary, for me (with obvious exceptions for potty and other issues) I do think that if a child wants to do the experience then they should wait the line. If it is too hot or the child is too young then perhaps that isn't a good choice right then?

I would never not allow anyone past me olr make a fuss and I don't make judgments but if your asking "should I" I would say no.

You may not care what anyone else's opinion is, which is certainly your right. But be advised that the people you need to pass to get back to your original spot also have the right to not let you through. :rolleyes1

Only one time did I do a park by myself with son and he was at the end of potty training. Everytime he had to go potty I simply explained the issue to the people behind us (don't think I really had to explain it as my son was doing the dance and saying mommy I have to potty bad now) and asked when we came back could be get our spots back. I have to say I never had one person say no, give me an eye roll or an attitude. Most where families and where like go we totally get it.

Sorry you left spots and went to the back of the line...but i'm sure if you would ask people in the spots next to you they would hold your space.

Only one time did I do a park by myself with son and he was at the end of potty training. Everytime he had to go potty I simply explained the issue to the people behind us (don't think I really had to explain it as my son was doing the dance and saying mommy I have to potty bad now) and asked when we came back could be get our spots back. I have to say I never had one person say no, give me an eye roll or an attitude. Most where families and where like go we totally get it.

Sorry you left spots and went to the back of the line...but i'm sure if you would ask people in the spots next to you they would hold your space.

Yes, but then they would have to give up the self righteous "better than you" attitude that they are clinging to so dearly. :cutie:

Yes, but then they would have to give up the self righteous "better than you" attitude that they are clinging to so dearly. :cutie:

Since you are referring to me when and where did I show that attitude?

I do think that what the OP asked about is line cutting, I said that I wouldn't do it or recommend it.

I also said I was fine with resaonable exceptions, a potty break or other accomodations for various issues and that I would allow others to pass without issue. Unfortuantely I can't take advantage leaving the line and returning.

I never said it was bad parenting or anything of the sort so why the name calling?

Sorry you left spots and went to the back of the line...but i'm sure if you would ask people in the spots next to you they would hold your space.[/QUOTE}

Don't be so sure - you don't know that we didn't. FWIW the family aside of us did try but it was too close to parade time and they were unsuccessful. And as I said we were fine with finding new spots - even in the background.

Since you are referring to me when and where did I show that attitude?

I do think that what the OP asked about is line cutting, I said that I wouldn't do it or recommend it.

I also said I was fine with resaonable exceptions, a potty break or other accomodations for various issues and that I would allow others to pass without issue. Unfortuantely I can't take advantage leaving the line and returning.

I never said it was bad parenting or anything of the sort so why the name calling?

i wasn't referring to you, I was referring to many of the posters on this thread in general, nor am I the one doing the namecalling, that is all coming from the other side.
My position is that what the OP is suggesting is not line cutting, because anyone behind him in line is no further from the character whether his daughter is in line with him or not.

Wow - and what do you say to the child of a single parent when he/she has to leave the line for a potty break and return.... yes to the end of the line.

Yes, we have left lines, great parade spots and other things to take care of my kids needs and always return to the end of the line.

Once we were in a great parade spot only to have to take my youngest to the bathroom. After which it was pretty close to parade time and at that point we were hoping for a 2nd/3rd row spot anywhere only to be "yelled" at by guests that we should have lined up sooner. Yep after waiting almost an hour on the curb.....

In summary, for me (with obvious exceptions for potty and other issues) I do think that if a child wants to do the experience then they should wait the line. If it is too hot or the child is too young then perhaps that isn't a good choice right then?

I would never not allow anyone past me olr make a fuss and I don't make judgments but if your asking "should I" I would say no.

that's what YOU'D say, I say let the parent back in, I'd even be willing to hold their spot!!! I just don't see the big deal, I think people are too stuck on what's "fair" and not just understanding that STUFF HAPPENS, kids have to pee, they have to get a drink if its scorching... I just think its another example on how our society just isn't nice!

And how did you feel when the people yelled at you after you'd been waiting forever at the parade? Probably not good! Why would we want anyone to feel like that?

i wasn't referring to you, I was referring to many of the posters on this thread in general, nor am I the one doing the namecalling, that is all coming from the other side.
My position is that what the OP is suggesting is not line cutting, because anyone behind him in line is no further from the character whether his daughter is in line with him or not.

You quoted a response to me asking why I didn't just ask a family to hold my spot (which I had) and said:

"Yes, but then they would have to give up the self righteous "better than you" attitude that they are clinging to so dearly."

Clearly name calling -

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter