Waiting in line?

I would just simply say to the people in line behind me, "do you mind if they leave the line to keep the kids occupied and then hop back in with me?". Who would have a problem with that????

Hmmm, my friend told me she had to fax an RX explaining his problems when she booked. Maybe they wanted it for liabilty issues? Now I am really confused. But hey, that's pretty normal for me!

That makes two of us! Check out the DISability section...there's lots of info on it there.:)

THIS IS SAD...THAT THIS MANY PEOPLE ARE "OFFENDED"...do whatever you want to with your kids when the time comes...if they are having a hard time, let them do something else for a while while they are waiting. I am a teacher, and NOT EVERY CHILD had the patience or ability to wait for something like that!

One thing I would like to point out is that I think Disney has done a GREAT job to keep kids of all ages occupied while waiting in line. There's always stuff to look at or watch while you're in line, so it helps time go by faster. If your kids understand what a Hidden Mickey is, you can always play a game of trying to find Hidden Mickeys while you're in line, too.

I can see both sides of the opinions on this topic...some children do not have the patience to wait in line...I sure wouldn't want to be in front of or behind those kids in a 45 minute wait. On the other hand, I wouldn't want my kids to wonder why they had to wait in line while the kids in front of or behind us got to go do something else while we waited in line all that time.

One more thought...some DISers have stated that if your child can't handle the lines to just not take them to the parks...what if those parents have a child (or children) who does not have the patience to wait in line (due to ADD/ADHD or some other condition), should that child be kept from riding a ride or seeing a show at a Disney park?

Anyway, I just thought I'd give the OP some other suggestions about the line waiting.

Please no flames...as I stated, I can see both sides...and thought I'd throw out that last scenario to those of you who think there should be no exceptions to the rules...when sometimes there is a medical condition that would constitute an exception. (Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't use ADD/ADHD as an excuse for anything OR use it to my benefit for selfish reasons...my brother was diagnosed with it 25 years ago before it became the "epidemic" it is today, he REALLY has it, and he was NOT fun to grow up with NOR was he fun to stand in lines with!!) But I love him...he's my baby brother!! :hug:

:disrocks: So, let's all try to get along here!!

This is the problem we have, my son was diagnosed 2 yrs ago with ADD, with some sensory issues. It is VERY hard for him to wait in a traditional line with several stangers all talking and pushing against him (He looks and for the most part acts normal). He does very well in lines for shows, but the lines for a traditional ride is very hard for him. We have taken his gameboy because this does help him focus on something other than the strangers, but I have actually been criticized for this by numerous mothers or whispered about AT DISNEY. But these people are also the ones who are going to be complaining about my child and his "different" behavior if he had nothing else to focus on.

I feel that if you need to leave and your children are not yet old enough to understand waiting in line (2 and 3 fits that bill) then by all means leave - take care of your business, be polite when entering the line again to join the rest of your family.

I also think that some parents with children old enough to understand waiting in line, should also be able to explain to that child why a mother is rejoining her family with small children in tough. This teaches understanding, which is just at important as "fairness" - which we all know - "Life isn't always fair".

JMHO

Jennifer

I think I'd start out with them in line with me. If and when it becomes apparent to others in line that your children are bored, then let them run off. Everyone within site of you will know that the kids & parent will be coming back and likely won't mind.

I'll mind. There are 15 years between my oldest and youngest child. The interesting thing is that when my oldest ones were small, I never saw any parent do this. Now it happens every time we go. There were times when we had to leave the line for various reasons when my children were small. On those occasions, we all left the line and when we returned, we all got back in the end of the line. It wasn't an issue that people debated; it just wasn't something anyone considered doing.

Disney policy doesn't allow for saving spots. So in theory a CM should not allow you join your family. I think in your case I'd try to pick a time of day when the line is likely to be shorter or join close to showtime in hopes that the wait will be shorter understanding that our seats won't be as choice.

I think the point of whether it would bother me is irrelevent because the policy is clear.

Wow,:sad1: now I'm really upset that we're not staying at a Disney hotel(Grandma planned the trip)...so we cant get a "FastPass"....or at least thats my understanding. If anyone gives someone a piece of her mind about line cutting it will be my DD-5years old:rotfl2:

Also I just figured that some of the most popular attractions would implement a "pager system" like they use at the mall during the holidays when we're waiting for a picture with Santa. Heck even restaurants use these pager things that way people can go off and occupy themselves until the pager lights up....then they will know its time to head back.:sad2:

I'll mind. There are 15 years between my oldest and youngest child. The interesting thing is that when my oldest ones were small, I never saw any parent do this. Now it happens every time we go. There were times when we had to leave the line for various reasons when my children were small. On those occasions, we all left the line and when we returned, we all got back in the end of the line. It wasn't an issue that people debated; it just wasn't something anyone considered doing.

BINGO!!!!!!:woohoo:

To mel373, entitlement is defined as the belief that one is deserving of special priviledges. Because you have a toddler does not entitle you to the luxury of leaving the line and coming back.

Everyone today seems to feel that they have a "special" situation or circumstance that allows them to take advantage of the niceness of those around them. It is great if you say to the one family in line behind you, I'm going to take the kids to the store while DH waits, do you mind? But when you come back, are you going to go and ask the same question to the 20-25 other families that may have joined the line while you were gone.

The problem is that a lot of the kids who were raised to believe that rules are there, but there are exceptions for many different circumstances, are parents now. If my kid has to pee, is thirsty, is hot, is cold, is whiny, the folks around me are not going to suffer. They do not owe me anything. I owe them the decency of not letting my little one make their wait time more miserable. My whole group will leave the line, or the ones that leave the line, will not be coming back. While I appreciate that those around me might be ok with me coming back, I don't feel it is right to expect that priviledge.

We were raised to pee on demand, and not to expect special treatment. When we were on a road trip, and made a pit stop, you went to the bathroom then. If you didn't go then, you were waiting until the entire group needed to stop again....That is, unless it was a border line "classic case of kidney blow." (Dr. Hippert, the Simpsons) :rotfl2:

Wow,:sad1: now I'm really upset that we're not staying at a Disney hotel(Grandma planned the trip)...so we cant get a "FastPass"....or at least thats my understanding. If anyone gives someone a piece of her mind about line cutting it will be my DD-5years old:rotfl2:

I really shouldn't post this.:sad2:

Anyone can use fastpas. Fastpass is free. Walk up to the fastpass machine. Insert your park pass. You will be issued a faspass which shows the time you should return to ride. It will also show the time when you can obtain another FP.

You don't have to stay onsite to use fastpass.

UNLESS YOU'RE THERE MARCH 19-30, 2008 OR SEPTEMBER 1-7, 2008. AT THAT TIME ONLY ON SITE GUEST WHO LIVE IN BROOKLYN NEW YORK, WILL BE ALLOWED TO USE THE FASTPASS SYSTEM.:rotfl2: :cool1:

I didn't read through all the responses, but when we went to Nemo this summer, we walked right in at 4:30 for the 4:45 show. The line had already gone in, but there were still seats. I would recommend seeing these shows later in the day and getting there about 15 minutes before the show starts. My guess is that you will be able to get a seat and not have all that time in line.

It actually DOES make a difference, and it's not an etiquette thing (I see that's being addressed already :teeth: )

Each theater/show/arena has a certain capacity. The Cast Members are unobstrusively keeping count of the number of Guests approaching and waiting for the next show. They will not count the other four people until they reach a certain point. If, by the time they arrive, the capacity has been reached - too bad. It won't matter that mom and dad, or grandma and grandpa, are already in the theater. There's no more room. Period. Out of luck. If they were in the 'holding' area, and left, they will be removed from the count - and no, telling the CM they'll be back before the show starts doesn't help. Other Guests arrive and get counted and again, once capacity is reached, it's reached - even if the doors haven't opened.

It is a TWO year old and THREE year old. It is not unusual for children of this age not being able to entertain themselves. Maybe your children have bladders of steel but some children like my own go every 20 minutes.
The question wasn't about bathrooms, it was about having two adults wait for a show's doors to open while two other adults take toddlers off somewhere else to keep them entertained. That's VERY different from leaving the line for a few minutes to go potty.

I can see both sides of the opinions on this topic...some children do not have the patience to wait in line...I sure wouldn't want to be in front of or behind those kids in a 45 minute wait.
Then talk to the kids. Pick them up. Play with them - yes, IN line. Interact with them. Bring distractions. Play games. Or, just wait until the doors open before getting in line. Voila! No wait. Sure, by that time there may be no more room at that show, but you can't have everything.

KorieDNutt said:
It wasn't like I left to go do something better than wait in line.
And THAT'S the big difference. Necessity (potty, medical issue) yes. Distraction (character, drink, play, a different ride) nope.

No, you need to keep your whole group together. You will NOT be the only party waiting to enter FotLK with active toddlers. You'll be at Walt Disney World, remember? Dozens of other families will be in your exact same situation, and will be waiting in the 'holding' area as a group for admission into the theater. They will have or find a way to entertain the children while they wait. It has been done. It is done. It is doable.

Note to Disneyjunkie: Guests from Massachusetts arriving prior to September 1, 2008 whose trips overlap with that date are grandfathered in to FastPass access.

BINGO!!!!!!:woohoo:

To mel373, entitlement is defined as the belief that one is deserving of special priviledges. Because you have a toddler does not entitle you to the luxury of leaving the line and coming back.

Everyone today seems to feel that they have a "special" situation or circumstance that allows them to take advantage of the niceness of those around them. It is great if you say to the one family in line behind you, I'm going to take the kids to the store while DH waits, do you mind? But when you come back, are you going to go and ask the same question to the 20-25 other families that may have joined the line while you were gone.

The problem is that a lot of the kids who were raised to believe that rules are there, but there are exceptions for many different circumstances, are parents now. If my kid has to pee, is thirsty, is hot, is cold, is whiny, the folks around me are not going to suffer. They do not owe me anything. I owe them the decency of not letting my little one make their wait time more miserable. My whole group will leave the line, or the ones that leave the line, will not be coming back. While I appreciate that those around me might be ok with me coming back, I don't feel it is right to expect that priviledge.

We were raised to pee on demand, and not to expect special treatment. When we were on a road trip, and made a pit stop, you went to the bathroom then. If you didn't go then, you were waiting until the entire group needed to stop again....That is, unless it was a border line "classic case of kidney blow." (Dr. Hippert, the Simpsons) :rotfl2:

Well said...:thumbsup2

I don't have a problem with an adult or two taking the toddlers out of line, as long as they don't wait until the last minute to get in line. It's def. not the same as people saving spots for adults.

Note to Disneyjunkie: Guests from Massachusetts arriving prior to September 1, 2008 whose trips overlap with that date are grandfathered in to FastPass access.

NOOOOO I don't want to share:lmao:

To answer the OPs question, I agree with those who say bring something to keep the kids busy.

I can understand leaving the line to take a child to the bathroom, but going off to another ride, nope.:sad2:

I don't think you will have to wait in line. I went to see FOTLK last week on AUgust 16th for the 4:30pm show. We walked over to Camp Minnie and Mickie by 4:25pm and were at the show by 4:30pm the CM said just walk on in and so we did. There were pleanty of good seats. My husband came in a joined us at 4:35pm as soon as the shwo was starting and the still let him come over and sit with us.

Also I just figured that some of the most popular attractions would implement a "pager system" like they use at the mall during the holidays when we're waiting for a picture with Santa. Heck even restaurants use these pager things that way people can go off and occupy themselves until the pager lights up....then they will know its time to head back.:sad2:

Disney's Fast Pass is available to all park guests, there is no on site requirement.

Details here: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/fastpass.htm

TJ

I'd say it is rude. Everybody else waited however long so they should too.

They might get bored but waiting in lines are a part of life, especially at WDW, and I would think it is better to teach the children that at a young age. Have coloring books and other things handy to entertain the kids.

What else would you like to teach these toddlers thats part of life, as if that would be any of your businessl!!??:confused3

I would not be bothered in the least, and neither would 95% of the other people, as long as it was small children , and not just a few adults by themselves. We've had plenty of long waits, and my wife and kids would go get some drinks or find some shade for a little bit, and no one ever minded the least little bit. And if that bothers someone, tough, its none of their concern. Too many people like to think everything is their busniess, and let every little thing anyone does bother them. I say lighten up and just enjoy yourselves, and you'll be much happier. If I offended anyone that is bothered by toddlers being occupied elsewhere than in line, good.:thumbsup2
Heck, I remember when my wife was nursing when we were at the zoo, and 2 or 3 people had mentioned how offended they that she would nurse a baby in public. Well she was completely covered up, and no one could see anything offensive, so I sure told them where they could go. I just don't understand why anyone thinks these things that other's do is any of their concern.

What else would you like to teach these toddlers thats part of life, as if that would be any of your businessl!!??:confused3

I would not be bothered in the least, and neither would 95% of the other people, as long as it was small children , and not just a few adults by themselves. We've had plenty of long waits, and my wife and kids would go get some drinks or find some shade for a little bit, and no one ever minded the least little bit. And if that bothers someone, tough, its none of their concern. Too many people like to think everything is their busniess, and let every little thing anyone does bother them. I say lighten up and just enjoy yourselves, and you'll be much happier. If I offended anyone that is bothered by toddlers being occupied elsewhere than in line, good.:thumbsup2
Heck, I remember when my wife was nursing when we were at the zoo, and 2 or 3 people had mentioned how offended they that she would nurse a baby in public. Well she was completely covered up, and no one could see anything offensive, so I sure told them where they could go. I just don't understand why anyone thinks these things that other's do is any of their concern.

Why is it ok for small kids and big kids? Where do you draw the line? What if you think the cut off should be 4 and someone else thinks it should be 9? Which person is right?

Does the number of kids matter at all? If it's one parent and 2 kids is that ok? What about 1 parent and 5 kids?

What happens if the parent and children leave the line to enjoy another ride or grab a snack and other guest refuse to allow them back in?

It's so much easier if you just take care of your needs before getting into line. Better yet, use fastpass and avoid the lines as much as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter