• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wait! Where's your wedding ring? An Oct. 2013 Disneymoon TR Updated 5/7!

I think I read you had the same issue I did for May 21. I woke up at the crack of dawn to secure a BOG ADR, but only could get a super early one. If this happened to you, drop what you are doing and go now to make an ADR, as they have several later evening options for that day. Maybe I will see you there...oddly enough I have an early morning CP on May 21 at 8:20! Great minds.....

I haven't read the whole report yet, but congratulations on your marriage!! You looked beautiful on your wedding day and your entire wedding was just gorgeous :love: I love the colours and all of the little Disney touches. I look forward to getting caught up on the rest :)

Missy, after reading all your TRs, I feel like I know you, and thus, sent good thoughts your way on the big day! Congratulations, you and the hubby look so happy and beautiful together, surrounded by friends and family.

We stayed club level at Yacht Club maybe 5 years back, used our DVC points for an impulse trip. We loved the decor, and the perks of concierge level. But after years of DVC we are spoiled, and found the confines of a hotel room a little restrictive. But can't beat it for location!

Looking forward to more TR!

Congratulations to you both!! The wedding pictures are spectacular. You both look so happy and in love. :lovestruc

LOL that you divided and conquered upon arrival but I enjoy the DME ride too. And what a score on YC being the first stop. I think that is pretty rare!!

Thanks for the pics of the new California Grill. I can't wait to try it although am disappointed to hear that service was noticeably different.

How cool to see "your" wedding singer and even cooler that he was so gracious. Now I am wondering if he gave you a shout out in a performance...

Your room is gorgeous!

I am very intrigued to see what new photo tricks Franklin has in store for us!!

Looking forward to more and congratulations again! :goodvibes

Hi.:wave2: Congratulations to you both. Your wedding pictures look beautiful. What a great start to your Disneymoon. :) I can't wait to read more of your trip report. :) We just celebrated our 27th anniversary at Disneyworld...Its just so magical.:)

I recently finished your proposal story and followed you here to read more!

Like another poster stated, I really feel I have gotten to know the two of you through your storytelling and Franklin's photographs!

Thanks for sharing your love for each other and love for Disney with us!

I am looking forward to reading more!

My DH is an amateur photographer like Franklin. He has several Digital SLR cameras and lots of lens that he likes to use. Right now he uses his Nikon D5000 the most. Of course, he has his eye on another camera and lens for Christmas but it probably won't happen.

I have my own Nikon D60 that I use. I enjoy setting up photos and playing a bit with the settings but do not know what I am doing, whereas, my DH would love and be interested in all of Franklin's comments. He is not really a fan of WDW though so, he hasn't read the trip report himself.

We will be heading to WDW in Feb. when my DS's high school band marches in the parade at MK. So, my DH, DD and I are meeting him there to see him march down Main Street USA. I plan on showing my DH Franklin's MK parade photos so he can get an idea for a possible place to set up to capture the parade.

I want to let Franklin know I have thoroughly enjoyed his photos, especially his night ones. The colors just seem to really jump out and capture the total magic of Disney.

Every time I make ADRs, I always remember how much easier it is to call and make my ADRs vs. doing them online. They take your credit card once and apply it to all your ADRs, plus they can look for broader parameters than we can online. I did get locked out of Be Our Guest at first, but found a much-too-early 4 p.m. dinner reservation for one of my days. So that's a start. Here are what my plans look like so far:

May 19:
Arrive at BWV
Lunch in World Showcase
Dinner at 'Ohana
MSEP and Wishes at MK

May 20:
Breakfast and pool time at BWV
Afternoon/evening at DHS
Dinner at Hollywood Brown Derby
Fantasmic

May 21:
Pre-opening breakfast at Crystal Palace
MK character hunt all day
Dinner at BOG
Wishes

May 22:
'Ohana breakfast
Epcot character hunt all day
Dinner at Via Napoli
Illuminations

May 23:
MK all day until I meet Franklin at BWV upon is arrival
Dinner at Tokyo Dining
Illuminations

May 24 and 25:
Star Wars Weekend!!!

May 26:
Breakfast at Grand Floridian Cafe
MK for a few hours
Head home :(
For the dates we have that overlap our plans are:
May 19:
Sleep in, lounge around BWV and pool then DTD
lunch at Fulton's Crab House
the back to EPCOT and dinner at Rose and Crown

May 20:
relaxed morning again the HS
lunch at 50's PT
dinner at Brown Derby

May 21:
breakfast at Captain's Grille then day at EPCOT
lunch at Biergarten
dinner at Monsieur Paul

May 22:
breakfast at Grand Floridian Cafe
day at Universal, probably IOA
dinner at Flying Fish

May 23: check out BWV check in AKV
day 2 at Universal, probably USO
dinner at CA Grill

May 24:
breakfast at Kona
DTD then lunch at TRex
MK then dinner at Citrico's and back to MK

May 25:
relaxed AK day breakfast at Boma
hang by pool, lunch at Sanaa,
head to AK, dinner at Jiko

May 26:
DTD lunch at Raglan Road
head to MK and dinner at Be Our Guest

I love your pictures flying out over DC! What a bonus to flying through there.

The Yacht Club is looks gorgeous! I can't wait to go explore it when we stay at BWV.

CA Grill is gorgeous after the refurb! I'm sad to hear that the food isn't as great, but I'm still looking forward to trying out the "new" CA Grill.

Very exciting about you meeting Wanya! And about him being so cool! I always get really excited when I meet a celebrity who seems "normal." My most recent normal celeb is Dane Cook. We had a great encounter.

Yay! So glad to have you here Linda. I need to go catch up on your August TR because we're going next August and I haven't been to Disney in the dead of summer since I was a little kid! I'm a little worried about the heat. :scared1:

Please do come on over and be sure to say hello!! It's nice to know when people are reading along.​

Sounds like a wonderful arrival day!!
I was wondering how CG would be. We were sad to miss it this year. We had a meal there last year during our Mom's only during Food and Wine and I was hoping they would do some "soft" openings while we were there to try things out, but no such luck. Maybe I didn't miss too much after all.

The fireworks photos from CG are so cool. You really get a great perspective on the location they come from.

Your room looks lovely. Can't wait til daylight to see the view!

Don't get me wrong, it was still a lovely meal at CG. And we'll definitely go back. The service just isn't as spectacular as it used to be. They had set the bar pretty high for themselves.

Wow what a brilliant start to married life :goodvibes Love that you partied the night away with your wedding guests and still managed to look all bright and breezy for Disney :) You and Franklin looked gorgeous on your big day! Brilliant photos as always from your other half. Love that you had the courage to tell Wayna about your first dance song choice and good job on getting the request in :rotfl:. Gotta say I'm more than awe bit jealous of your room and that plateful of chocolate covered strawberries!! Yum

Cant wait to hear more :goodvibes

Thank you! It was a whirlwind couple of days, but the best few days of our lives!

i just started on your TR (and read the proposal and totally teared up), but this made me tear up even more. i LOVE flying into reagan for this exact view. it's so beautiful.

looking forward to reading more :)

:welcome: Thank you for joining us! And there is plenty more ahead...

So I have never heard of Firefly - how was your experience with them? Your dinner looks very tasty! It's somewhat disappointing about the service but hopefully that changes in the future! We have had some wonderful meals there....

The firework shots! So awesome!!! It's crazy how small Cinderella's castle looks from up there!!

Your room is gorgeous and what a wonderful surprise from the staff. How wonderful. Also, Boyz II Men, not a fan of that style of music and honestly have no idea what the song is. However, how thoughtful and truly appreciative for them to play the song for you. So perfect!!! So absolutely perfect!!

Such a perfect day!! Love it! Can't wait to read more!!!!

Firefly is brand new to the U.S. (the brand had previously been in Europe, but Hertz bought the name and brought it here). Orlando was the first location that opened and it opened in mid-September.

We had an okay experience. It was WAY cheaper than any other options for that week. The car we got had its share of dings and scratches (and had plenty of miles on it). But it ran fine and got us everywhere we needed to go. Basically, we'd use them again but only if they were vastly cheaper than its competitors.

You're right about how small the castle looks from the top of CR. But the coolest thing about staying at CR or BLT, you can hear the music and sounds from the park!

We'll be there May 16 to the 24th. :thumbsup2 We should plan something. At the moment, we're also staying at the Boardwalk. We're going to wait list the Beach Club, but the Boardwalk is great too.

That's so funny that you took DME and Franklin rented the car! That's awesome.

Wow, Franklin is an impressive clean plate club member!

How cool that you met Wanya from Boyz II Men! He sounds like he was really awesome to meet. Glad that he was so nice.

What a great way to start your Disneymoon.

Yes! We will have to make plans! :woohoo: I love BW, but I can totally understand wanting BC. That pool is so cool (especially during the hot temps in Florida in May).

Franklin is the KING of the Clean Plate Club.

I think I read you had the same issue I did for May 21. I woke up at the crack of dawn to secure a BOG ADR, but only could get a super early one. If this happened to you, drop what you are doing and go now to make an ADR, as they have several later evening options for that day. Maybe I will see you there...oddly enough I have an early morning CP on May 21 at 8:20! Great minds.....

Thanks Elena! Yep, I got shut out of everything but a 4 p.m. ADR when my 180-day window opened. But I hopped on that day that the new ADR times magically appeared and managed to get a more-normal dinner time. And I've even been able to change days and times since then! So, so awesome.

We will have to meet up at CP, our ADRs are at the same time!

I haven't read the whole report yet, but congratulations on your marriage!! You looked beautiful on your wedding day and your entire wedding was just gorgeous :love: I love the colours and all of the little Disney touches. I look forward to getting caught up on the rest :)

Thank you so, so much! :goodvibes I can't wait until I get to share more details from the wedding, you guys will just love some of the stuff we came up with.

Missy, after reading all your TRs, I feel like I know you, and thus, sent good thoughts your way on the big day! Congratulations, you and the hubby look so happy and beautiful together, surrounded by friends and family.

We stayed club level at Yacht Club maybe 5 years back, used our DVC points for an impulse trip. We loved the decor, and the perks of concierge level. But after years of DVC we are spoiled, and found the confines of a hotel room a little restrictive. But can't beat it for location!

Looking forward to more TR!

Thank you so much! I love writing these reports, it's such a joy to get to share our trips with people.

It's funny, we really liked CL. But I did have moments when I wished we had the DVC kitchenette and had done a grocery delivery. DVC just spoils you that way!

Congratulations to you both!! The wedding pictures are spectacular. You both look so happy and in love. :lovestruc

LOL that you divided and conquered upon arrival but I enjoy the DME ride too. And what a score on YC being the first stop. I think that is pretty rare!!

Thanks for the pics of the new California Grill. I can't wait to try it although am disappointed to hear that service was noticeably different.

How cool to see "your" wedding singer and even cooler that he was so gracious. Now I am wondering if he gave you a shout out in a performance...

Your room is gorgeous!

I am very intrigued to see what new photo tricks Franklin has in store for us!!

Looking forward to more and congratulations again! :goodvibes

Thanks! I was shocked when YC was the first stop, it seemed like I had just settled in for the ride! :lmao:

Franklin's special photo project will blow you guys away, I don't want to give any details away though. He might kill me!

Hi.:wave2: Congratulations to you both. Your wedding pictures look beautiful. What a great start to your Disneymoon. :) I can't wait to read more of your trip report. :) We just celebrated our 27th anniversary at Disneyworld...Its just so magical.:)

Thank you so much! It is a magical place, isn't it? We hope to spend many anniversaries at Disney.

Like another poster stated, I really feel I have gotten to know the two of you through your storytelling and Franklin's photographs!

My DH is an amateur photographer like Franklin. He has several Digital SLR cameras and lots of lens that he likes to use. Right now he uses his Nikon D5000 the most. Of course, he has his eye on another camera and lens for Christmas but it probably won't happen.

I have my own Nikon D60 that I use. I enjoy setting up photos and playing a bit with the settings but do not know what I am doing, whereas, my DH would love and be interested in all of Franklin's comments. He is not really a fan of WDW though so, he hasn't read the trip report himself.

We will be heading to WDW in Feb. when my DS's high school band marches in the parade at MK. So, my DH, DD and I are meeting him there to see him march down Main Street USA. I plan on showing my DH Franklin's MK parade photos so he can get an idea for a possible place to set up to capture the parade.

I want to let Franklin know I have thoroughly enjoyed his photos, especially his night ones. The colors just seem to really jump out and capture the total magic of Disney.

Thank you!!! I'm glad you enjoyed the proposal, Franklin created a pretty special morning for me. :goodvibes He'll be along soon to talk cameras, but I just wanted to say to have a great trip. We love winter trips to Disney, the parks are so quiet in January and February.

For the dates we have that overlap our plans are:
May 19:
Sleep in, lounge around BWV and pool then DTD
lunch at Fulton's Crab House
the back to EPCOT and dinner at Rose and Crown

May 20:
relaxed morning again the HS
lunch at 50's PT
dinner at Brown Derby

May 21:
breakfast at Captain's Grille then day at EPCOT
lunch at Biergarten
dinner at Monsieur Paul

May 22:
breakfast at Grand Floridian Cafe
day at Universal, probably IOA
dinner at Flying Fish

May 23: check out BWV check in AKV
day 2 at Universal, probably USO
dinner at CA Grill

May 24:
breakfast at Kona
DTD then lunch at TRex
MK then dinner at Citrico's and back to MK

May 25:
relaxed AK day breakfast at Boma
hang by pool, lunch at Sanaa,
head to AK, dinner at Jiko

May 26:
DTD lunch at Raglan Road
head to MK and dinner at Be Our Guest

I love your pictures flying out over DC! What a bonus to flying through there.

The Yacht Club is looks gorgeous! I can't wait to go explore it when we stay at BWV.

CA Grill is gorgeous after the refurb! I'm sad to hear that the food isn't as great, but I'm still looking forward to trying out the "new" CA Grill.

Very exciting about you meeting Wanya! And about him being so cool! I always get really excited when I meet a celebrity who seems "normal." My most recent normal celeb is Dane Cook. We had a great encounter.

Oooooh! It looks like we'll definitely overlap at DHS on the 20th, maybe even at dinner at Brown Derby! You should definitely try CG, you won't be disappointed. Dane Cook always struck me as someone who would be fairly normal in real life, glad to hear he was!

Please do come on over and be sure to say hello!! It's nice to know when people are reading along.

I will be sure to join in on the conversation. :thumbsup2

Welcome back friends! Sorry it’s taken me so long to check back in. But I have a pretty good excuse! You see, since I started editing full-time at my newspaper, I haven’t really had time to write articles (writing was my first love). But one of our reporters was on vacation last week, so they asked me to write an article for the Sunday NBA package in our section. And since the NBA is my absolute most favorite sport on the planet, I just couldn’t say no! Here’s the article if any of you are curious about it. But, long story short, the time I was going to devote to TRs over the Thanksgiving weekend, ended up going toward my story.

But I’m back now, so on with the show -- er -- trip!

We last left off with a whirlwind arrival day complete with a fabulous meal at California Grill and Hallowishes. The first full day of the Disneymoon began with a signal for just how different a Disney trip this would be for us, WE SLEPT IN!

The goal was to make it to Epcot by 11 and we made it by the skin of our teeth. But, man, did we need that sleep. Luckily for us, we were just a hop, skip and jump from the park du jour.

DSC_0098-L.jpg

I just love the International Gateway entrance!

DSC_0099-L.jpg

Since we were already in the World Showcase, we decided to blow off our 11-12 Soarin’ FP+ reservation and head for the Chase Pavilion in the American Adventure.

DSC_0101-L.jpg

We learned that even though there’s no longer a rope drop in Future World, the rope drop is alive and well in the World Showcase.

Once they let us free in the WS, we headed for America. They had moved the lounge for Chase credit card holders from its previous home in the Food and Wine Festival Center.

DSC_0118-L.jpg

It was an awesome upgrade of venue, lots more room. We headed straight for the wristband line. If you are a Disney Visa holder you could get a wristband for prefered seating for one of the Eat to the Beat concerts and also for Illuminations. We nabbed wristbands for the last Boyz II Men concert of the evening but passed on the Illuminations wristband, we had a late dinner at Tokyo Dining planned for that night.

After grabbing our wristbands, we scoped out the lounge. There were Coke machines to grab a drink.

DSC_0108-L.jpg

Places to charge your phone (and apparently any other device ever created).

DSC_0114-L.jpg

And did I mention the view?

DSC_0110-L.jpg

With our wristbands safely ensconced on our wrists, we headed out into the WS. It was time to get our Food and Wine on. It was a truly beautiful day, a perfect first day at Disney.

DSC_0120-L.jpg

We started at Poland, where we got a kielbasa and pierogi.

DSC_0123-L.jpg

We grabbed a shaded bench and chowed down. Where were the bride and groom off to next?

DSC_0125-L.jpg

Germany. There was beer.

DSC_0128-L.jpg

And a bratwurst on a pretzel roll.

DSC_0131-L.jpg

Caramel corn and a chocolate and caramel dipped pineapple spear.

DSC_0133-L.jpg

We grabbed a table in the grass next to the Brewmaster’s Collection.

DSC_0134-L.jpg

And someone offered to take photos of us, those bride and groom ears are real conversation starters!

DSC_0136-L.jpg

We continued to move around the lagoon, hitting up South Korea next. Franklin tried the Kimchi hot dog, which he LOVED. Things are never spicy enough for him, but actually said this was really spicy!

DSC_0140-L.jpg

You know I can’t visit Food and Wine without stopping at China, I need my potstickers.

DSC_0143-L.jpg

DSC_0141-L.jpg

I also got Franklin the tiger shrimp, which came with a ton of lo mein. If you’re looking to make a meal out of F&W items, start with this!

DSC_0142-L.jpg

Franklin stopped at Mexico for a shrimp taco.

DSC_0145-L.jpg

And I grabbed a lamb chop from Australia.

DSC_0146-L.jpg

We were so full, but there was one more booth on that side of the lagoon that I was dying to try… Brazil. I desperately wanted to try the pork belly.

DSC_0147-L.jpg

And Franklin had the scallops.

DSC_0148-L.jpg

The pork belly was amazing! So tender and juicy and Franklin loved the scallops too. Here’s the thing, whenever anyone asks me for advice when it comes to visiting F&W, I have one simple thought to offer them: Go during the week and as soon as the WS opens. There is nothing better than flitting from kiosk to kiosk, trying foods with absolutely no lines to speak of. It’s our favorite way to visit F&W and it worked out well for us that day. By the time we were stuffed, the crowds had only just begun to stream into the WS.

That’s where we’ll leave off for now, but there’s lots more Epcot fun ahead. For those of you who visited Food and Wine this year, what was your favorite snack?

Congrats on your writing assignment! You wrote about my Bulls! Nice job!

We always save up our snack points and make a meal off the Food & Wine offerings. My favorites are the ravioli and margarita from Italy and the potstickers from China.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! How are the plans coming? Have you found a venue? Or a dress?

Fair warning though, this isn't a typical Disney trip for us. There were practically no rides -- I think we rode a total of 10 rides in five+ days. We spent lots of time eating, drinking and soaking up the Disney atmosphere we love so much!

Thank you! The plans are coming along pretty good. I have everything "major" - the dress, venue and caterer, photographer, and DJ.

Six months to go! Which means I just made my ADRs this week! SO exciting!

Sounds like you had a nice relaxing Disneymoon! I have a lot planned for ours, but I did leave a lot of time open to just spend together, relaxing. :lovestruc

Food and Wine sounds delish! I hope to make it back to Disney for that sometime. It's on my ever growing list of things to accomplish!!

I love your matching t-shirts. I bought some Disney-inspired Mr and Mrs appliques for t-shirts as well. I'm not totally sold on the ears though, I don't like the headbands, they tend to hurt. I'm making us baseball caps with ears instead. Fingers crossed they turn out looking good!!

Can't wait to read more!! :hyper:

Great job on your article in the Post! Chicago makes news all the way East!! How about that?!

Loved the update! Food and Wine is a great time to be at WDW. Beautiful weather (most of the time), great food, wonderful atmosphere, music. It's a favorite time for me as well. Your food choices look interesting. Somehow, I can't get past my old faithful's!! :lmao: Stuck in Canada, US, and Germany.

Sometimes skipping the rides in favor of the atmosphere is a good idea! There are so many other things to do at Disney. We discovered this the summer before last when we didn't even go into any parks. We just enjoyed all the resort areas and all they had to offer.

Thanks for joining in! Our very first trip report, A Failure to Launch but Scaling a Mountain, I borrowed a friend's D5000 to shoot with. It's still a very good camera. The camera I had at the time, D70s, was getting a little rough around the edges. For the next two trip reports, I bought the D7000. Which is an amazing camera. It's currently on sale at many outlets, since the latest and greatest is the D7100. But, I highly recommend the D7000, if you are on a budget. From the engagement trip on, I use the D600. The other equipment I use with it are listed in my signature.

If you have any questions on a specific photo, feel free to ask. I would love to give background on the thought process and settings.

A great way for anyone getting started with photography is to read the book Understanding Exposure. That will help with explaining how each setting affects the photo. For all the beginners out there listening, this will help you take better photos than a new camera or other gear.

Missy & Franklin - congratulations on the wonderful wedding! I love how amazingly happy both of you look! I've read most of your reports but don't think I've ever commented - but your encounter with Wanya of B2M was so sweet and I found myself getting all emotional and whatever... I love music lyrics and writing like you do, Missy and I'm a sports fan also - I'm more NFL but writing and sports? What a great job! Can't wait to read the rest - wishing you both a future of wonderful trips and countless blessings!

gina

Thanks for joining in! Our very first trip report, A Failure to Launch but Scaling a Mountain, I borrowed a friend's D5000 to shoot with. It's still a very good camera. The camera I had at the time, D70s, was getting a little rough around the edges. For the next two trip reports, I bought the D7000. Which is an amazing camera. It's currently on sale at many outlets, since the latest and greatest is the D7100. But, I highly recommend the D7000, if you are on a budget. From the engagement trip on, I use the D600. The other equipment I use with it are listed in my signature.

If you have any questions on a specific photo, feel free to ask. I would love to give background on the thought process and settings.

A great way for anyone getting started with photography is to read the book Understanding Exposure. That will help with explaining how each setting affects the photo. For all the beginners out there listening, this will help you take better photos than a new camera or other gear.

Franklin, thanks for sharing your experience with the different cameras. My DH has been looking at the D7000 for awhile now, but we just couldn't justify the 2000 cost for the body alone when it came out. You are right that this year there are some good deals on it. I checked into it and got a great deal online body and an extra lens for less than $800. Sill pricey but much less. So, he will be very happy on Christmas.
I will have to share some of your photos with him and then you two can compare notes on settings.

Thanks also on the book recommendation for beginners. I will have to pick up a copy.

PS: In the previous trip report about your proposal, you had a link to your panoramic photo of your view from the Boardwalk Resort. I thought it was really cool how you could pan around the scene and even zoom in areas. Thanks for sharing it!

We visited F&W for the first time this year; mostly due to your incredible trip reports and pictures! What was our favorite snack?? So hard to choose. Loved the Steamed Green Lip Mussels and the Lamb Meatball at New Zealand. And the Seared Scottish Salmon at Scotland. My favorite drink was the Sparkling Pomegranate Kir at France. Great way to spend a leisurely afternoon, visiting the booths, eating our way around the world.

well, a bit late to the party, but joining!

What a lovely looking wedding - you looked beautiful and the shots of your ceremony overlooking the capital were amazing. Also, I bet that is not the last time the guys figure out a way to get dressed up like that ;)

That story of meeting Wanya from Boyz II Men i such a Pixey Dust moment!

Glad you enjoyed California Grill - I was really worried about it for our past trip after hearing the less than stellar reviews following the redo - but we too had a great meal. Cool that you like the new view - definitely get what Franklin is saying about the angle of the view to the castle

Great start to your F&WF adventures - we went twice during our trip and the difference in the lines b/w Saturday and Thursday was just incredible.

I actually think my favorite thing I tried was the Mongolian Beef in a Steamed Bun from China, but very closely followed by the Pork Belly. We also really liked the items from Scotland - including the Vegetable Hagis :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter