• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wagon for Autistic Son

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloeve

Earning My Ears
Don’t jump me for asking! We have an autistic son, he’s 5. He’s getting to be too big for a stroller, however he still needs something while we’re at the parks to keep him comfortable/limit meltdowns. We also have a toddler, so we typically get a double stroller. Is there an exception for push wagons for situations like this? Thanks!

Don’t jump me for asking! We have an autistic son, he’s 5. He’s getting to be too big for a stroller, however he still needs something while we’re at the parks to keep him comfortable/limit meltdowns. We also have a toddler, so we typically get a double stroller. Is there an exception for push wagons for situations like this? Thanks!
From what I have read/seen on the internet, getting a wagon approved for use at WDW is up to the CMs at the park. It mostly occurs when there is a large quantity of medical equipment involved, like oxygen tanks, pumps, etc.

There are larger strollers out there, BTW.

I think you will have a up hill climb to bring a wagon in the parks.
You will not know till you get to park.
Start looking for bigger style of stroller that you can bring from home.
At least you will be able to use it in your day to day life.

From what I have read/seen on the internet, getting a wagon approved for use at WDW is up to the CMs at the park. It mostly occurs when there is a large quantity of medical equipment involved, like oxygen tanks, pumps, etc.

There are larger strollers out there, BTW.
I realize that, but they’re typically hard to maneuver.

Last time I went (early December) there was a family in front of us at DHS arguing with a CM to let them in because they had a wagon and had been dropped off by someone and so had nowhere to store the wagon if they couldn’t bring it in. The CMs were unwilling to make an exception for them but their child didn’t appear to have any medical needs so it maybe different for you. I second the larger stroller idea, they have many kinds and not all are hard to maneuver.

My favorite double stroller (and single) was the Baby Jogger City Mini. DD was definitely still ok in the single until 6-7. We moved up to a Bob after that, and she could still fit in it now if needed (she’s 10), though it would be a tight squeeze. Both were super easy to maneuver.

With the Bob (and the city mini) sometimes DS would sit in the front if he needed a break. We also occasionally would put both in 1 seat, but that would be tough if your son is autistic and doesn’t want to be touched.

If you will have another adult with you, I highly recommend 2 single strollers. There are a variety of "special needs" strollers that will fit an older/larger child if he truly is uncomfortable in a regular stroller. My DD was about 7 when we bit the bullet and located a used Maclaren Major Elite stroller which fit her for many years. We really only used it on vacation or special events/festivals, and insurance wouldn't approve it, so getting a gently used one was a great savings.

You can also rent them. Orlando Medical Rentals has several different styles and sizes. Some of the other more "traditional" stroller rental agencies may also offer something.

I agree with others that a wagon is questionable because you won't know if it'll be allowed until you arrive at the park. And even if CMs allow it one day at one park you could be turned away at another. I'd pursue other options instead.

My favorite double stroller (and single) was the Baby Jogger City Mini. DD was definitely still ok in the single until 6-7. We moved up to a Bob after that, and she could still fit in it now if needed (she’s 10), though it would be a tight squeeze. Both were super easy to maneuver.

With the Bob (and the city mini) sometimes DS would sit in the front if he needed a break. We also occasionally would put both in 1 seat, but that would be tough if your son is autistic and doesn’t want to be touched.
He also weighs 60 lbs, he’s tall and lean. He’s over the capacity for the seat for most doubles 😩

Last time I went (early December) there was a family in front of us at DHS arguing with a CM to let them in because they had a wagon and had been dropped off by someone and so had nowhere to store the wagon if they couldn’t bring it in. The CMs were unwilling to make an exception for them but their child didn’t appear to have any medical needs so it maybe different for you. I second the larger stroller idea, they have many kinds and not all are hard to maneuver.
I forgot to add that we typically have a wheelchair tag on our stroller, which it would have to have if they did allow it. It would stay on the entire trip, so they would only have to approve it once.

If you will have another adult with you, I highly recommend 2 single strollers. There are a variety of "special needs" strollers that will fit an older/larger child if he truly is uncomfortable in a regular stroller. My DD was about 7 when we bit the bullet and located a used Maclaren Major Elite stroller which fit her for many years. We really only used it on vacation or special events/festivals, and insurance wouldn't approve it, so getting a gently used one was a great savings.

You can also rent them. Orlando Medical Rentals has several different styles and sizes. Some of the other more "traditional" stroller rental agencies may also offer something.

I agree with others that a wagon is questionable because you won't know if it'll be allowed until you arrive at the park. And even if CMs allow it one day at one park you could be turned away at another. I'd pursue other options instead.
I forgot to add that we typically have a wheelchair tag on our stroller, which it would have to have if they did allow it. It would stay on the entire trip, so they would only have to approve it once.

I hear what you are saying but honestly I wouldn't rely on that. It's not unheard of for people to get a new SAW tag if they do a park rental. So if security says "no, it's against the rules, I don't care what someone allowed yesterday" you are just setting yourself up for frustration. Not saying that would definitely happen, but really there is no way to guarantee your stroller-wagon would be allowed. I recommend making an alternative plan now, there are other options. One thing I've learned dealing with disabilities is that our vacation time is way to precious to waste it arguing over something that could be avoided by accepting an alternate plan from the start.

He also weighs 60 lbs, he’s tall and lean. He’s over the capacity for the seat for most doubles 😩
I’m sorry! DD is finally 50lbs now (she’s REALLY skinny) so I forget about weight limits. I think the Bob should be ok, especially in a single. Maybe you can see if someone has one that you can try out? We bought ours used years ago and it was well worth it (for us).

I hear what you are saying but honestly I wouldn't rely on that. It's not unheard of for people to get a new SAW tag if they do a park rental. So if security says "no, it's against the rules, I don't care what someone allowed yesterday" you are just setting yourself up for frustration. Not saying that would definitely happen, but really there is no way to guarantee your stroller-wagon would be allowed. I recommend making an alternative plan now, there are other options. One thing I've learned dealing with disabilities is that our vacation time is way to precious to waste it arguing over something that could be avoided by accepting an alternate plan from the start.
We’d definitely have an alternate plan, no time to waste!

I really do appreciate what you are saying, but MANY of us have been through this same exact situation for decades, without wagons. We all used strollers and made it work.

There are so many great strollers for this available now that I would have loved to have had when my kids were younger. There are strollers built for larger kids with special needs and many on here have used them. That really is the best option for safety for everyone.

Disney banned wagons because they are dangerous to other guests and to the kids riding in them. They are low and can not be seen in the large crowds. Guests are often tripped by them (personal experience), sometimes falling and possibly falling in to the wagon.

Have some folks been given special permission on arrival, yes. But the reports are that there has to be a strong reason for the few that are handed out. Things like PP noted medical equipment needed, physical disability a stroller can not work for. But most reports I have seen are they are not successful in being able to use them. Also they are not giving the red stroller as a wheelchair tags for them. My guess is that guests were trying to switch them out after day one. The wagons now get a special tag in another color, saw them a few weeks ago.

In the end you could waste lots of time if you arrive at security or gate with a wagon. You might have to take it all the way back. I've seen several being told in parking lot go ahead and return it to your car and not be given the chance to take it inside or ask. It is completely up to the CMs at the parks.

Last edited:
I have to second the suggestion for using 2 single strollers if you have 2 adults with you. On our first trip in 2013, we did this because maneuvering a double stroller through crowds of Disney is just a PIA, and we were there at Christmas. Both strollers had wheelchair tags because all 3 of our children had needs requiring a wheelchair. DH wore one of the girls in a pack carrier if needed, but we allowed one of the two to walk as much as they could handle. DS required 5-point restraints or to be strapped to DH in the carrier at all times as he was a bolter. DD was 8, but tiny, at the time. The City Mini was more than adequate for her. She was probably 50-55lbs, plus we had the stroller loaded down with stuff. It was super easy to maneuver. They have canopies that come completely over and DD and DS loved to make themselves cacoons to escape from the sensory overload. We rented from a local off-property company, who delivered and picked up the strollers at our hotel. It was cheaper to rent both strollers for the week than 2-3 days of park strollers.

I really do appreciate what you are saying, but MANY of us have been through this same exact situation for decades, without wagons. We all used strollers and made it work.

There are so many great strollers for this available now that I would have loved to have had when my kids were younger. There are strollers built for larger kids with special needs and many on here have used them. That really is the best option for safety for everyone.

Disney banned wagons because they are dangerous to other guests and to the kids riding in them. They are low and can not be seen in the large crowds. Guests are often tripped by them (personal experience), sometimes falling and possibly falling in to the wagon.

Have some folks been given special permission on arrival, yes. But the reports are that there has to be a strong reason for the few that are handed out. Things like PP noted medical equipment needed, physical disability a stroller can not work for. But most reports I have seen are they are not successful in being able to use them. Also they are not giving the red stroller as a wheelchair tags for them. My guess is that guests were trying to switch them out after day one. The wagons now get a special tag in another color, saw them a few weeks ago.

In the end you could waste lots of time if you arrive at security or gate with a wagon. You might have to take it all the way back. I've seen several being told in parking lot go ahead and return it to your car and not be given the chance to take it inside or ask. It is completely up to the CMs at the parks.
I've read in 2019 they banned wagons but when I was there at WDW with my daughter and friends a few months ago there was wagons inside the park but the security guard was very kind to let them come through with the wagons as we seen them in the parks but it does say wagons, selfy sticks etc NOT allowed in the parks but it's probably depend on the security guard whether to allow or not to allow it to come through. Worst case scenario employees inside the park might say park it here and collect it when you leave also it's not safe to leave personal belongings in wagon whilst going on rides as they could get stolen so that's another thing to consider.

I’ve since reached out to Disney and got the information I need. We were there in March and several had red tags.

Disney’s response:

Dear Ashley‍,

Thank you for contacting Walt Disney World® Resort regarding our stroller policies at the Walt Disney World® Resort.

We are pleased to learn you are planning to visit Walt Disney World® Resort!

Please know that our approach to supporting Guests with disabilities has not changed, and our commitment to providing a welcoming, inclusive atmosphere as well as accessible experiences for everyone is unwavering. While we cannot make arrangements prior to arrival, we understand each Guest’s needs are different, and our Guest Relations Cast Members will continue to review in-person inquiries on a case-by-case basis. Once you arrive, Guest Relations will be happy to discuss the needs of your family as well as all of the available options that will help you make the most of your time.

We hope your upcoming vacation is filled with magical memories!

Kindest regards,

Earlena
Disability Access Services
Walt Disney World® Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter