• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Refurb Info

Thanks for the update. Do you know if they are working their way down by floors? i.e. now that the 5th floor is done, are they working on the 4th floor? We arrive at VWL in a few weeks and want to avoid the noise as much as possible. I'm thinking maybe I should request a 5th floor room. Thanks again for sharing this info!

Yes, from top to bottom. They are now working on the 4th floor (starting after checkout on 2/9). The housekeeping manager said they were given 12 days to complete a floor and are working from the 5th floor to the 1st floor.

I don't understand the comment about sleeper beds. Do you mean sleeper sofas, because that sofa looks like a sleeper one to me.

Sorry, I meant sleeper chairs. I thought that at one time the studio units would be getting sleeper chairs.

The sofa's are the same as before, just reupholstered.

No, a fold down under the TV. It looks like there is a chest of drawers by the balcony door so it makes sense that the bed took out the drawers under the TV. Looks like there's a slide out table under the TV.

What didn't make sense at the DVC annual meeting is that they would add the murphy bed to the studios but not the 1 bedrooms.

One thing we noticed while on the VGF tour was a shortage of drawers. Since the pull down (Murphy) bed unit doesn't have drawers and there isn't a chest of drawers (like at VWL) the studios are short (at VGF) with only one drawer under the bed.

I like the look of the studio and would be interested in see what the 2bdr looked like since our family stays in either a one bedroom or two bedroom. I also, like the earth tones and the wood and much classier feel.

I was at the annual meeting and did not hear that an extra bed was a done deal. I have no idea where people got that it was a sure thing by what was said at the meeting. When discussing the rehab, it was mentioned that they were looking into the possibility of adding the 5th sleeper but needed to find something that would fit. And this statement was generic, never stated as to the studio or the 1 bedrooms.

Now after the fact I hear all this stuff about the studio getting the sleeper.

Perhaps you got your wires crossed but they most definitely did say the Studio villas would be getting the 5th sleeper during the refurb. Was toward the end of the meeting when the photos were shown. I double-checked with DVC PR afterward and they confirmed.

As for why the occupancy is still listed as 4, right now the reason is because not all rooms are refurbished. They cannot guarantee a refurbished Studio to any given guest so the occupancy will officially remain at 4+1 until the job is complete.

Good news is estimated completion is the end of March.

Here are additional photos of the VWL refurb rooms:

p765226404-5.jpg

p903443787-5.jpg

p938588010-5.jpg

p779593412-5.jpg

p697770398-5.jpg

p994508832-6.jpg

p1052129679-6.jpg

p756684215-5.jpg

That table looks absolutely cheap. What a downturn in furnishings.

That table looks absolutely cheap. What a downturn in furnishings.

Yes. It looks like a camper that's only objective is to cram as many sleeping options as you can in a small space.

I am literally sick over what they have done to my VWL. It is not the same product that I bought 10 years ago.

Laura

Perhaps you got your wires crossed but they most definitely did say the Studio villas would be getting the 5th sleeper during the refurb. Was toward the end of the meeting when the photos were shown. I double-checked with DVC PR afterward and they confirmed.

As for why the occupancy is still listed as 4, right now the reason is because not all rooms are refurbished. They cannot guarantee a refurbished Studio to any given guest so the occupancy will officially remain at 4+1 until the job is complete.

Good news is estimated completion is the end of March.

What I heard from the woman that operates both SSR and OKW (sorry I have forgotten her name), is that they were looking at the possibility of adding a 5th sleeper, but they had to find something that would fit. I figured there was no way they could refigure things to get 5 in a studio there. Never is my wildest dream (or nightmare) would I have thought they could up with something so awful.

Laura

Laura

Yes. It looks like a camper that's only objective is to cram as many sleeping options as you can in a small space.

I am literally sick over what they have done to my VWL. It is not the same product that I bought 10 years ago.

Laura

I'm sick that my dues were used to change the delightful original look to this cheap garbage AND make it easier to stuff the room. You know people will want to put six people in the room (five plus one under the age of three). Plus the location of the "table" (can't call it a real table) is right in front of the television. Stupid, really stupid.

I kind of agree with you guys. It a mixed up mess of styles, furniture and colors. What a weird remodel. I like the idea of the murphy bed, but mostly for optional sleeping space for the 4th person .........no way would it be comfortable in that room for 5 !

Sad to say, but this remodel make POR riverside look like more of a deluxe than a WL Villa ! (no disrespect to POR , we love it there !)

Guess we can put a big ole X through the VWL DVC resales now .........makes our decision a little easier !

It's so clean and bright now. I want to stay here now. The old villa pics are so depressing and dark. Can't wait to see 1 and 2 bedrooms.

Do dvcers tend to stuff rooms? We are a family of five and always stay in a 1 br at Blt or akl so we have some breathing room. Would also consider two bedrooms elsewhere. We need the kitchen, laundry and live the second bath.

I do see the pull out as a good option for the forth person.

I don't like the table, but I do like the look of the rest of the space. I though vwl was in dire need of a refurb.

Just wanted to weigh in with the opposite opinion.

Showed the pix to my hubby (we have been owners since '06) and my parents who are VWL owners since it first went on the market. We all love this new look! I especially LOVE the new bed under the TV and we have been pleading with them to do something like this!

HOORAY!

We have a son and a daughter, and we go to Disney as much as we can - but they will NOT sleep together! What a horrid frustration it is for us to have to make a pallet so that our 10 year old daughter sleeps on the FLOOR every time we stay in a studio! It has gotten to the point that we must get a 2BR, or get a 1 BR only at BLT, OKW or AKV (and VGF, which are difficult to get right now....) We have gone to Disney 5 different times in the last 12 months, and our daughter had to sleep on the floor when we had a studio at Beach Club this summer, and also for one night at Saratoga, because it was all they had available. I simply cannot stand having our daughter sleep on the floor.

So we are thrilled that VWL will be back in the rotation for our short stays. HOORAY!

I will hold out hope that they will figure out a way to fit a sleeping chair into a 1BR. Still - the studio gives us a new option.

I also like the decor... they have gone from "hoop de doo" decor to a more upscale cowboy-type decor.

LOVE IT!

(that said, I'm sorry to those who do not like it - perhaps you may change your mind seeing it in person)

I like the Murphy bed option for a family of 4 especially when the children are boy and girl - there is a point where bed sharing just doesn't happen. Or even a family of 3 then you don't have to pull out the sofa sleeper for a small child - my daughter would get a kick out of the Murphy bed. The colors seem brighter than they used to. I also think the bed needs a bed scarf for a little extra theme tie in.

I just posted this to the groupie thread. I am almost literally sick.....

Just found this on DVC News. I think I'm about ready to cry - it looks a lot like BWV. Now I like BWV but not at VWL! And an area carpet that I could buy at Home Depot. Did the decorator not understand the theme?! :( WL just received awards in good part because if it's refurb which is very cute. And we get this. Generic blah.

b_0_0_0_10_images_stories_vwl_VWL_Refurb_2014a.JPG

Here's a link to the article:

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts-48755/villas-at-wilderness-lodge-21845/news-4168/2508-wilderness-lodge-refurb-under-way

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter