VWL Lovers & Groupies Thread: Meese-ka, Mice-ka MOOSE-kateers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not certain that I qualify as a wilderness lodge/villa groupie but I have just spent the last couple of hours reading through each and every post and I do own at vwl and will be returning home in 9 days and counting!
Fortunately for us it will be our fourth trip back to the lodge and on this occasion we will be joined by my daughters friend and mom who will be there for the very first time, we simply cannot wait for that jaw dropping moment when they enter the lobby for the first time!
I think one of the happiest moments I have ever had was strolling through the grounds of the lodge after a 24 hour journey at 3 in the morning when my then 3 year old son had no intention of sleeping at what as far as he was concerned was breakfast time!

So we count down the days to our "welcome home" to a place that our family truly does love. Thanks for all the excellent posts on here. Greetings from the UK. In half an hour we will be down to 8 days
!
:banana::yay:

Welcome to the group!!!!!

Enjoy your trip, and did we mention we like pictures??????????

I HAVE NO FREAKIN WATER!!!

Then of course I'm in a house full of testosterone who felt the need to tell me that they are sooo glad they can take care of nature anywhere. Like the ability to write your name in the snow is a skill.

:scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

Most of the men I see on a regular basis are very different than most. I forget how some can get and the things they are proud of! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Hang in there! Think of a happy place! Oh yeah! The lodge!

So glad it all came together for you Alison, and now you can get some nice R&R... even in :scared1: Garden Grove. :lmao: I've spent many moons in and around Garden Grove so I can sure say that!

Yeah, here we are and what are we doing? I'm on the DIS and my better half is taking a Nap! What is different? Oh yeah, I don't have cats climbing all over me, the place is not a total mess, and we have good air conditioning. Plus we'll be going to dinner soon.

I've been feeling more and more uneasy at work the past year anyway and so I've been doing all of those normal things trying to be ready - brushing up the resume, networking, checking out opportunities and the like as I'd rather go on my timing than theirs, but you never know now do you. In addition to doing some freelance paid work for the Scouts and my church, I've also been trying to ramp up some side business by becoming a TA specializing in the various domestic Mouse-based destinations... (anything to ensure some income if the existing source goes away). If you are friends with me on Facebook, I would love it if you would "like" my page, even if you never use my services (as if you'd need to being DVC members!), but the more likes the better, and I can create ads on FB when I hit a certain number of likes (I"m not there yet).

:hug: for you on the job front. I hope that you are able to take care of whatever happens on your own terms. I would be happy to "like" your page to help you out. I am not friends with you on FB, but if you send me a PM with a link to your page, or just send me a friend request. My last name is the same as a prominent basketball player for the Chicago Bulls in the 90's... :rolleyes1 Good luck with everything! You're a smart guy! But there are lots of talented people out there in trouble, so I hope you're able to somehow keep the job going. Best of luck!

Oh, Stopher, I'm so sorry to hear about the instability at your worksite. I'll be sending pixie dust your way in the hopes that things stabilize soon. Send me a private message with your facebook info and I'd be happy to "like" your page.

Stopher, I know the feeling you're going through at work. My old job was fairly unsteady for several years before the ax finally fell on me almost 2 years ago. But I've posted here before how happy I am to not be working right now even though I need to start trying harder to find something now that my severance is finally going to be ending in a few months. There are SO many of us out there looking for jobs that it is hard to take unemployment personally. It's the economy and we all know it. Good luck on finding stability, one way or another.

What a friendly place, can't believe that I have never found this thread before. My apologies for some of the typing last night, I was lying in bed trying not to disturb my darling wife so I missed a few keys!
We have so many happy memories of being at the lodge, my daughter took her first unaided swimming strokes in the hidden springs pool which fortunately my wife recorded, unfortunately all you can hear on the recording are her sobs! Like I suspect so many others my daughter initially but quickly followed by my son a few years later was fascinated by the bridge over the stream in the lobby and I'm sure would have rather spent hours just running back and forth rather than heading somewhere else.
To us roaring forks will always be roary forkies which was again a phrase christened by our daughter Bethan on her first visit back in 2002 when she was still just short of her 2nd birthday.
Is there anything better than to sit on the balcony catching a glimpse of the water pagent, a glass of something cold in your hand, with the lodge music playing almost imperceptably in the background, surrounded by the people that matter the most in the world? I somehow doubt it.
To me the lodge but disney world as a whole is one great human battery recharger, I cannot wait to be plugged in for a whole two weeks!
We have shown our friends pictures, bombarded them with videos, talked til the early hours of the morning about what a fantastic place the lodge is but I know that no words or pictures can ever live up to the reality of that first glimpse of the lobby, that first welcome home, that first walk down the walkway with the "crickets" in the background, that first "open sesame" of the doors into the villas ( another legacy of Bethan!) and that first glimpse of the 2 bed villa, home for the next 14 days.

...what a fantastic place the lodge is but I know that no words or pictures can ever live up to the reality of that first glimpse of the lobby, that first welcome home, that first walk down the walkway with the "crickets" in the background, that first "open sesame" of the doors into the villas ( another legacy of Bethan!) and that first glimpse of the 2 bed villa, home for the next 14 days.

True... but let's have some anyway!!

2010-0120-001225.jpg

2010-0119-001215.jpg

2010-0120-001213.jpg

2010-0120-001186.jpg

2010-0119-001284.jpg

2010-0119-001269.jpg

2010-0120-0016.jpg

2010-0120-001239.jpg

Stopher, I hope that things on the work front go well for you. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Welcome home, walkerford. Welcome to the VWL groupies.

I am not certain that I qualify as a wilderness lodge/villa groupie but I have just spent the last couple of hours reading through each and every post and I do own at vwl and will be returning home in 9 days and counting!
Fortunately for us it will be our fourth trip back to the lodge and on this occasion we will be joined by my daughters friend and mom who will be there for the very first time, we simply cannot wait for that jaw dropping moment when they enter the lobby for the first time!
I think one of the happiest moments I have ever had was strolling through the grounds of the lodge after a 24 hour journey at 3 in the morning when my then 3 year old son had no intention of sleeping at what as far as he was concerned was breakfast time!

So we count down the days to our "welcome home" to a place that our family truly does love. Thanks for all the excellent posts on here. Greetings from the UK. In half an hour we will be down to 8 days
!

In the words of Dr. Nigel Channing of The Imagination Institute
Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!!

Eliza
Hoping for water soon for you folks

Stopher
Praying for job situation to go in your favor

walkerford, thanks for posting those memories. I enjoyed reading them.:goodvibes

Stopher...we certainly understand the unsettled work situations and how that can wear on you as it hangs over your head like the Sword of Damocles. You are doing the right things as far as networking, skill polishing, etc. I certainly wish you all the best in your situation.

Eliza...hope the water thing gets resolved quickly. Amazing how even in your frustrated moments you manage to make us all laugh with your turn of phrases. Good luck! :)

Walkerford...a hearty handshake across the pond to you! You obviously share in our feelings that Wilderness Lodge is a special place that brings immediate serenity and balm for the soul.

Is there anything better than to sit on the balcony catching a glimpse of the water pagent, a glass of something cold in your hand, with the lodge music playing almost imperceptably in the background, surrounded by the people that matter the most in the world? I somehow doubt it.

I don't think you'll get any arguments here on that! :) And we certainly enjoy your eloquent descriptions of your family's memories of our beloved Lodge. ::yes::

What a friendly place, can't believe that I have never found this thread before. My apologies for some of the typing last night, I was lying in bed trying not to disturb my darling wife so I missed a few keys!
We have so many happy memories of being at the lodge, my daughter took her first unaided swimming strokes in the hidden springs pool which fortunately my wife recorded, unfortunately all you can hear on the recording are her sobs! Like I suspect so many others my daughter initially but quickly followed by my son a few years later was fascinated by the bridge over the stream in the lobby and I'm sure would have rather spent hours just running back and forth rather than heading somewhere else.
To us roaring forks will always be roary forkies which was again a phrase christened by our daughter Bethan on her first visit back in 2002 when she was still just short of her 2nd birthday.
To me the lodge but disney world as a whole is one great human battery recharger, I cannot wait to be plugged in for a whole two weeks!
We have shown our friends pictures, bombarded them with videos, talked til the early hours of the morning about what a fantastic place the lodge is but I know that no words or pictures can ever live up to the reality of that first glimpse of the lobby, that first welcome home, that first walk down the walkway with the "crickets" in the background, that first "open sesame" of the doors into the villas ( another legacy of Bethan!) and that first glimpse of the 2 bed villa, home for the next 14 days.

I don't speak up here often enough (not enough time to keep up honestly!) but want to say... WELCOME! You are a true groupie! :goodvibes Non-lover's just don't get it. It's not about running through the parks, it's all about that time relaxing with family at the resort and memories made there.

Regarding that precious video with your daughter's first unaided swim and your wife's sobs... how wonderful! I'm sure many many years into the future, the sounds of your wife's voice on that recording will be golden to your daughter.

!

Having just finished reading all your posts on this thread I would say you are a groupie through & through! :goodvibes Welcome to the thread. :welcome:

I AM SOOOO MAD!!! my stupid township is doing road repair in my development and the stupid road crew broke a water main pipe. I HAVE NO FREAKIN WATER!!! Then the stupid foreman looks us (me and my neighbors) in the eyes and says that of course since the pipes are owned by the water company they can't do any repairs until they get on the scene. Of course we call the water department and get that lovely recording to say "please call back during normal business hours". Which will not be until tomorrow. Sent Sid & Rizzo to the store to buy gallons of water. :furious:

Then of course I'm in a house full of testosterone who felt the need to tell me that they are sooo glad they can take care of nature anywhere. Like the ability to write your name in the snow is a skill.

Sorry I know I'm whining but I'm trying to wash my hands using a bottle of poland springs so I can at least take out my contacts.

God, I so need the lodge right now....

First I'd like to say I'm so sorry Eliza & 2nd Ewwwwwww! :laughing: I hope you have your water back by now.

Oh Groupies, I need a bit of pixie or moosie dust & prayers please. Nothing has happened yet... but there are some growing clouds of concern at work. Two months ago the company decided it was time to consolidate some operations and announced the closing of two of our regional locations. Both were small and were a drain on company resources. Two staff members were let go, and two were given the choice of moving to HQ in Irvine, CA or being let go. At that time everyone in the field was reviewed and many of us, despite living and working in "field" were reclassified as "office" staff rather than "field" staff, myself included, despite all of the traveling to meet with customers that I do quite often. "Office" staff must either be in a regional office or in Irvine... and going to Irvine isn't really an option for my family, even with our California roots. The only remaining regional office is mine, and one of our staff members was recently allowed to relocate his family and start working out of his new home in Illinois - because he was classified as "field"... I'm not allowed to since I'm classified as field. If the office is closed, I'm out of a job because of that classification. I've been part of several conversations now as to what might be the future for my office, and it isn't all that pretty. Option 1 of course is to keep it open as is no problem... options 2 and 3 are the not so pretty ones. So with the changes made two months ago, and a few made at the very beginning of the year, we've now had 4 straight years of down-sizing. They've cut through the fluff, and cut out the fat... it's getting closer to paring off the meat - those of us who actually do the heavy lifting. Another one of those "conversations" was today at lunch, and I also learned then that the various VP's will be gathering in Irvine in 2 weeks to further discuss the options. Our office lease runs through next year in August, so it could be that we retain it until that point and then make the cuts, or perhaps they'll just decide to

I've been feeling more and more uneasy at work the past year anyway and so I've been doing all of those normal things trying to be ready - brushing up the resume, networking, checking out opportunities and the like as I'd rather go on my timing than theirs, but you never know now do you. In addition to doing some freelance paid work for the Scouts and my church, I've also been trying to ramp up some side business by becoming a TA specializing in the various domestic Mouse-based destinations... (anything to ensure some income if the existing source goes away). If you are friends with me on Facebook, I would love it if you would "like" my page, even if you never use my services (as if you'd need to being DVC members!), but the more likes the better, and I can create ads on FB when I hit a certain number of likes (I"m not there yet).

Oh dear that doesn't sound good. :sad2: Sending out lots of good thoughts & pixie dust for your job situation. I hope everything works out for the best. :hug: I'd be happy to like your page on FB. Just send me a PM with the link.

Thanks for those beautiful pictures too! Can never get enough of those.

:grouphug: So sorry for you Kathy. Your stories of taking care of her, and the different things you did for her were such a blessing to me, as you were no doubt to her. I am praying for your comfort at this time, as well as for your family. Thanks for sharing your news and know that the Groupies love you from afar. People come in and out of our lives, even now in this virtual age, from across the miles and screens, that just touch you - and you have done that for many of us. Life can definitely give us different struggles and challenges, and so often it seems people just don't listen or care when you share things - but know that you have friends here that do care.

Perfectly said Stopher! My prayers are with you and your family twokats.

I AM SOOOO MAD!!! my stupid township is doing road repair in my development and the stupid road crew broke a water main pipe. I HAVE NO FREAKIN WATER!!!
God, I so need the lodge right now....
Oh Eliza! Hope you got your water back on! I gotta say though, thank you for the laugh! I always admire the way you can put humor into situations like that.
Oh Groupies, I need a bit of pixie or moosie dust & prayers please. Nothing has happened yet... but there are some growing clouds of concern at work.

Sending you lots of moose dust Stopher! I hope everything will work out okay.

Wow if you are not a true groupie than neither are the rest of us! That was beautiful! Welcome to the friendliest thread on the Dis! Glad to have you.

So we have our trip planned for December for me and DH. DD won't be able to go for the first time ever because of college. Boy will it be hard to go without her for the first time!!!! I will really miss the goofy things we say on some of the rides. :sad1: Anyway for the past few years my Dad has been busy taking care of my Mom. With her passing in May he is now able to make some plans. The first thing he is doing is going to the Grand Canyon next month with my two aunts. So jealous. We have been saying for a long time that we would like to get him to WDW and asked him and my aunt who has gone with us before if they could go with but they both said no. Well my aunt tells me the other day that my Dad really does want to go with and that he was going to wait until the last minute and surprise us by telling us he was going!:scared1: Fortunatly my aunt is very Disney smart and knew that wouldn't work and gave us the heads up. So we bought him a plane ticket and told him it was his Christmas gift. Should be so much fun seeing him experience all the magic for the first time! Now this morning my aunt called and said she changed her mind and wants to go too! Woo Hoo! Even though DD can't go we should still have alot of fun. Now if we could only get the Lodge for the whole week. So far we only have gotten 2 nights right in the middle of our stay. The rest of the time it is Saratoga Springs.

Hey now stop it! I have a professional reputation as a hard nosed criminal lawyer to maintain..
Can I just say that I am genuinely touched by the warmth of the replies to my posts, I haven't yet quite worked out how to quote the posts but they are easy to track back, thank you for all of your most generous welcomes.
I adore each and every moment of our holiday but I think many on here agree that the most fun is no longer to be found in the commando approach, you know.. rope drop, fast pass for TSM, run to Tower of Terror, breath!.... Rock and roller coaster, ADT at Brown Derby etc etc etc but instead it is taking a moment to stand back and take it all in and take that photograph in your mind that will always be there... A couple of years back we were in MK my wife was sitting on the rocking chairs with our son in her lap fast asleep, it was late at night well past midnight, I stood with our daughter and told her how nan and grandad back home would just be getting up, as we stood hand in hand we took a photo in our mind of the almost deserted main steet, often now we bring back the memory of that photo and for that moment we are back together hand in hand in main street.
Another time before our Son was born I sat on the balcony at the Villas, Bethan was asleep on the bed and my wife was helping her! A thunderstorm broke out and the rain lashed down and lightning lit up bay lake, the rain was so heavy I could hardly see the pool, again if I close my eyes now I am back on that balcony....I am so lucky that in just over a week I will be...

So we have our trip planned for December for me and DH. DD won't be able to go for the first time ever because of college. Boy will it be hard to go without her for the first time!!!! I will really miss the goofy things we say on some of the rides. :sad1: Anyway for the past few years my Dad has been busy taking care of my Mom. With her passing in May he is now able to make some plans. The first thing he is doing is going to the Grand Canyon next month with my two aunts. So jealous. We have been saying for a long time that we would like to get him to WDW and asked him and my aunt who has gone with us before if they could go with but they both said no. Well my aunt tells me the other day that my Dad really does want to go with and that he was going to wait until the last minute and surprise us by telling us he was going!:scared1: Fortunatly my aunt is very Disney smart and knew that wouldn't work and gave us the heads up. So we bought him a plane ticket and told him it was his Christmas gift. Should be so much fun seeing him experience all the magic for the first time! Now this morning my aunt called and said she changed her mind and wants to go too! Woo Hoo! Even though DD can't go we should still have alot of fun. Now if we could only get the Lodge for the whole week. So far we only have gotten 2 nights right in the middle of our stay. The rest of the time it is Saratoga Springs.

Oh what fun! So glad your Dad will be joining you!:santa:
I hope you get those other days filled in. That would make it perfect!

Hey now stop it! I have a professional reputation as a hard nosed criminal lawyer to maintain..
Can I just say that I am genuinely touched by the warmth of the replies to my posts, I haven't yet quite worked out how to quote the posts but they are easy to track back, thank you for all of your most generous welcomes.
I adore each and every moment of our holiday but I think many on here agree that the most fun is no longer to be found in the commando approach, you know.. rope drop, fast past for TSM, run to Tower of Terror, breath!.... Rock and roller coaster, ADT at Brown Derby etc etc etc but instead it is taking a moment to stand back and take it all in and take that photograph in your mind that will always be there... A couple of years back we were in MK my wife was sitting on the rocking chairs with our son in her lap fast asleep, it was late at night well past midnight, I stood with our daughter and told her how nan and grandad back home would just be getting up, as we stood hand in hand we took a photo in our mind of the almost deserted main steet, often now we bring back the memory of that photo and for that moment we are back together hand in hand in main street.
Another time before our Son was born I sat on the balcony at the Villas, Bethan was asleep on the bed and my wife was helping her! A thunderstorm broke out and the rain lashed down and lightning lit up bay lake, the rain was so heavy I could hardly see the pool, again if I close my eyes now I am back on that balcony....I am so lucky that in just over a week I will be...

I just love the way you write! You do it in such a way that I feel like I am right there with you and your family!

Quotes are on the bottom right of the post you want to quote. The one that says quote will quote just that one post. But this next one took me about 4 years to figure out (yeah, not the brightest bulb on the tree!). The one next to the quote button just says " and when you use it, it will turn red. With that one you can multi-quote on your post. I hope that helps. Enjoy!

Stopher, I am sad to hear about your job situation. I'm not a facebook person, but I hope others here will help.:hug:
If you get your TA going and need any help in the cruising department, text me! You would make a great Disney TA!:thumbsup2

Very sorry to hear about this Stopher - I know how uncomfortable that feeling is, and until you know for sure, it's always nagging at you. Been there back in 2008. Hope that things work out for you and that a resolution comes quickly since the not knowing is a really stressful situation. It sounds like you've got your ducks in a row and are prepared - now if they'd just have the decency to let you know........... Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers!

Leslie

Eliza~I know your post was not meant to be funny but I did chuckle! I have a home with three men too!! Hope all is well there now!!

Stopher~sending pixiedust: and thoughts and prayers your way! Hope everything works out!!! I would also love to be a Disney Specialist TA

Wilderness Dad~thank you for the link...Stan sure was a special man

DLI~I am sorry your daughter will not be able to join you on your trip, I know first hand how hard that is! :sad2: Send photos and texts to her often, and I am sure the next trip with her will be all the sweeter! It is nice your dad wil be joining you though!!:goodvibes

Oh what fun! So glad your Dad will be joining you!:santa:
I hope you get those other days filled in. That would make it perfect!

DLI~I am sorry your daughter will not be able to join you on your trip, I know first hand how hard that is! :sad2: Send photos and texts to her often, and I am sure the next trip with her will be all the sweeter! It is nice your dad wil be joining you though!!:goodvibes

Thanks Muuska and Corinne! Talked to DH earlier and he decided to pay out of pocket for the other days at the Lodge! Woo Hoo!!!!!:banana::banana: So we will be in the Villas for 2 nights in the middle of our stay and in the main lodge the rest of the time. We are still waitlisting though just in case. Not looking good though. Can't wait for my aunt and Dad to see the Lodge all decorated!!!!! Gonna do our best to be the Flag family. Also my Dad is a veteran and I hope we can raise or lower the flag at the MK. Anyone have any advice on that?

Hey Stopher could you add me to the list?!!!!!! We will be "home" Dec. 2nd through the 8th and at Portifino Bay the 9th through the 11th.

Oh and we were showing them some You Tube videos from the Lodge and I got all weepy thinking about Stan. Even though he has been retired anyway it will still be hard walking in there and knowing he will never be back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter