• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Lovers & Groupies Thread: Meese-ka, Mice-ka MOOSE-kateers

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got a questionaire in the mail today and need some opinions.

The dedication of the 9/11 memorial is going to happen this September on the 10th anniversary. I got a default invite but not sure if I'm going.

Anyhoo, two questions came up that I need your vote on.

1) Should the memorial charge an admission fee or be free? Now I'll admit I've gotten info on it before that I pretty much trashed. :rolleyes: Hey between Sid, Rizzo, two dogs and work, I only have so much brain matter to go around. So I assuming that if no fee is charged cost will either come from donations or the governement. Don't know.

2) Would you (visitor) be willing to pay $15 bucks. This is an adult fee. doesn't say if there will be discounts like the museums in DC. for seniors or kids. I cant imagine they would not have.

Yea or Nay!

Thanks guys.

Hey eliza....was there any explanation behind the reason for the $15 fee ? I guess my heart tells me it should be free because I'd hate for anyone to be denied access based on their economic situation to such an emotional and significant event in our nation's history. However, if that fee is going towards helping families of the victims or something to that extent I might be able to see an exception. I just think the $15/person could impact many people to not be able to bear witness to this touching memorial. Tough one.....

The dedication of the 9/11 memorial is going to happen this September on the 10th anniversary. I got a default invite but not sure if I'm going.

1) Should the memorial charge an admission fee or be free? Now I'll admit I've gotten info on it before that I pretty much trashed. :rolleyes: Hey between Sid, Rizzo, two dogs and work, I only have so much brain matter to go around. So I assuming that if no fee is charged cost will either come from donations or the governement. Don't know.

2) Would you (visitor) be willing to pay $15 bucks. This is an adult fee. doesn't say if there will be discounts like the museums in DC. for seniors or kids. I cant imagine they would not have.

Yea or Nay!

Thanks guys.

Oh my gosh, Eliza, I was taken aback when I read 10 year anniversary. Of course, I know it has been that long, but it just sent chills for some reason. I agree with Maria, I would hate for people to not be able to visit if they simply could not afford it. Would the proceeds go to the families of the victims? Perhaps they could make it optional with a suggested donation?

Eliza - I agree with Maria and Corinne. I'm not in love with the $15 fee but I would be more willing to do it if the money went to the families.

Good morning Groupies!

Eliza, I would be in favor of a nominal admission fee ($15 seems pretty steep) to cover the maintenance costs of the exhibit. It would be nice if they would offer admission one day per week (Wednesdays, for instance) for free to accommodate those who simply can't afford to go. I have been to several museums that have that policy.

Could I ask a general question of the groupies? Have any of you ever stayed in a woods view room with bunk beds in the main lodge? It looks like we'll be staying in one of these for the Moms Panel reunion this fall. (Insert high-pitched, gleeful squeal here). :banana: I haven't stayed in the main lodge since buying into DVC. Do any of you know if these rooms are clustered in a particular area of the lodge? Do these rooms feel more spacious because of the bunk beds or are they generally smaller? Just curious what you might know on the subject.

Thanks!

Good morning Groupies!

Eliza, I would be in favor of a nominal admission fee ($15 seems pretty steep) to cover the maintenance costs of the exhibit. It would be nice if they would offer admission one day per week (Wednesdays, for instance) for free to accommodate those who simply can't afford to go. I have been to several museums that have that policy.

I agree with these comments all the way around. I think a nominal fee to pay for upkeep makes sense so that the government isn't footing the bill (and you know who that means). I like the idea of a free day too. :thumbsup2

Could I ask a general question of the groupies? Have any of you ever stayed in a woods view room with bunk beds in the main lodge? It looks like we'll be staying in one of these for the Moms Panel reunion this fall. (Insert high-pitched, gleeful squeal here). :banana: I haven't stayed in the main lodge since buying into DVC. Do any of you know if these rooms are clustered in a particular area of the lodge? Do these rooms feel more spacious because of the bunk beds or are they generally smaller? Just curious what you might know on the subject.

Thanks!

We stayed our first two visits to WL in exactly those type of rooms. We were on the 5th or 6th floor if memory serves me correctly, and we requested the western side of the Lodge as you could still see MK fireworks over the trees at that time. And there was no VWL on the other side to gaze at longingly. :)

They were great rooms, and our girls LOVED the bunk beds. The top bunk is pretty close to the ceiling (they could touch the ceiling while laying in bed) but they didn't mind at all.

Honestly, those bunk beds were a huge hit and I think helped my girls really bond with WL. Of course, DW & I were captivated just walking into that lobby for the first time. :thumbsup2

I don't know for sure if the rooms are clustered, but I do know there were several in our wing on our floor. So maybe they do group them together.

As far as more spacious, I don't remember that feeling really. I guess they had a smaller footprint than the second bed would have had in a regular room. But because they went almost to the ceiling, they tended to make the room seem smaller to me.

And after staying in DVC resorts, everything seems smaller anyway (we don't stay in studios).

The reunion sounds fun. Enjoy!! :)

Hey gang, thanks for the input. I put down a "initial" no. From my understanding there will actually be 2 exhibits. There is going to be an outdoor waterfall where the actual 2 towers were with the names of the 3000victims. This will be free. The "indoor" building will have information, interactive stuff and the normal museum things. think Holocaust museum. this is what they have to find a way to fund and sustain.

Good morning Groupies!

Thanks!

Hey Jill,
Actually we thought the room was a bit smaller. It may have been because the bunkbeds go "up" they gave an illusion of taking up space or it may be that we stayed in them about 10 months after our first stay at the lodge and it was our first time going back from a 1 bedroom to a regular room. I'm not sure if the are all situated in a particular area, as we only stayed in the main lodge once. We were very comfortable though.

Good morning Groupies!

Thanks!

Jill,

What a fabulous experience being on the Moms Panel must be! I would LOVE to do that!!:goodvibes

We stayed at the WL several times when the boys were young, prior to becoming DVC members. We had the bunk beds twice I believe. They were not a novelty since they had slept in bunks at home at the time. I did not feel the rooms were roomier, and as Eliza mentioned, being high up it did feel like they took up space. It was perfectly fine though. As you know, the rooms are smaller than the other deluxe resorts. Have a blast!!!:yay:

IT HAS BEEN MORE THAN 24 HOURS SINCE SOMEONE POSTED!!!!!:confused3!!!!​

I digress.....

Tomorrow, another big, big, big Groupie day!!!

:yay::yay::yay:Happy Birthday lisah0711:yay::yay::yay:

We hope it is a special day for you!

Where do we want to meet/eat??????​

What's going on here!!! 24 hours and no posts?????

Meanwhile: DITTO!

Happy Birthday lisah0711:yay::yay::yay:

Yea or Nay!

Thanks guys.

I think any family member effected by 9/11 should be free. I wouldn't have a problem paying as a non-family member.

We took a last minute day trip to the NC mts. this past Sat. We drove to Mast Store in Valle Crucis, got some fresh popped kettle corn, old fashioned candy, chow chow and T got a big pot to use for canning. Then back to Boone to eat at Danl Boone Inn. Really good down home food. Then drove over to the Blue Ridge Pkwy. At one point, around 5pm, we saw 69*!! It was so nice! That was near Grandfather Mt. We love the mts., its so majestic, feeling nearer to God, and feeling closer to the Lodge when we cant be there ourselves.

Hope to call Stan tonight to get an update

Eliza

I have mixed feelings about paying to see the memorial. But if the money would truly go to help out the families affected by the tragedy, then would have no problem.

What's going on here!!! 24 hours and no posts?????

Meanwhile: DITTO!

Happy Birthday lisah0711:yay::yay::yay:

LOL. It's the exciting lives we groupies are living!! :lmao:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Lisah0711

Thanks again for the input guys, Whenever I get these surveys I always wonder why they don't expand the pool base? :confused3 It was a national tragedy and I really can't image victims family's going more than a few times.

Anyway I think anyone who lost a loved one is definitely allowed free access. The victims families will have a special service for the dedication next 9/11 which will include a visit prior to the opening.

July must be when VWL groupies hibernate, because the post count is going way down here. We must wake up sometime before December, so we can make our annual trek down to the Lodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter