• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Greg
If you go to Savannah, be sure to make a stop by Lady and Sons restaurant, as its some very good down south cooking. The buffet is very good. They serve turnip greens, something that never suited my tastes, but the way they fix em, made me a fan :thumbsup2

twinklebug
Sounds like fun was had and cant wait to see those pics!

Hey Groupies!! Long time, no "see"! :wave:

I took a bit of a hiatus from the Dis, because we were working on our debt and it was depressing to talk about Disney knowing we didn't have a trip planned. (Sorry, I'm a bad friend... and I am selfish :badpc: :laughing: )

But we paid off our 4th debt in our debt snowball TODAY, and we plan on paying off our 5th (out of only 6) in the beginning of September, so we planned a little WDW getaway to celebrate! Knowing I have a trip planned has made going to my 2nd job tolerable, and it has lifted my spirits tremendously. :goodvibes

We are staying at OKW for the first time and will be there from Aug 31 - Sept 7. We had the PAP's, got a great deal on airfare, it was low points and all we need to pay for is food. :banana:

Has anyone gotten a taxi and gone to the grocery store from OKW? I know there are some that are really close to DTD, and I am trying to price it out to see if it would be more beneficial to do a taxi, rent a car for the day or just do a grocery delivery even though I know how inflated their prices are.

Any suggestions on eating for cheap??

Hey Groupies!! Long time, no "see"! :wave:

I took a bit of a hiatus from the Dis, because we were working on our debt and it was depressing to talk about Disney knowing we didn't have a trip planned. (Sorry, I'm a bad friend... and I am selfish :badpc: :laughing: )

But we paid off our 4th debt in our debt snowball TODAY, and we plan on paying off our 5th (out of only 6) in the beginning of September, so we planned a little WDW getaway to celebrate! Knowing I have a trip planned has made going to my 2nd job tolerable, and it has lifted my spirits tremendously. :goodvibes

We are staying at OKW for the first time and will be there from Aug 31 - Sept 7. We had the PAP's, got a great deal on airfare, it was low points and all we need to pay for is food. :banana:

Has anyone gotten a taxi and gone to the grocery store from OKW? I know there are some that are really close to DTD, and I am trying to price it out to see if it would be more beneficial to do a taxi, rent a car for the day or just do a grocery delivery even though I know how inflated their prices are.

Any suggestions on eating for cheap??

Not a bad friend at all but may I make a suggestion.

Don't stay away, come in and play even while trying to get out of debt.

1. EXPERIENCE!!

there is an old saying.... "many hands make the load lighter". Now the majority of folks here have a few "miles" on the ole tires. LOL, I know I could give you some horror stories on the financial missteps me and the old guy have made. for example remind me to tell you the story about the 3000 dollar Breast pump I purchased from, of all places Hammacher Schlemmmer that was supposed to pump breast milk, make me lose baby fat, make the baby sleep and walk the dog. All it did was make me 3000 bucks in debt. :lmao:

2. SUPPORT I think getting out of debt is very much like many other bad habits, smoking, over eating etc. they succeed better with a support group.

3. ENCOURAGEMENT
Hey, we all want our friends to get a trip to the lodge. Use the lodge as a goal. I'm very much like this. it's hard for me some times to save for far off things like "retirement" especially when I was younger. It just always seemed like some intangible, and a long ways away. But I was (and still am) to a degree really good when you give me a goal. tell me in 8 months I can go to XYZ and I'm a saving/budget fool. :lmao:

Now as an answer to your question. hum, I would probably rent a car. Goodings supermarket is probably the closets to wdw being right outside of DTD but their prices are inflated also. If you can get a super cheap rate from the onsite national and don't mind driving a few minutes to the walmart, you can load up the car and return it on site. I rented an economy car a few years back for 2 days and the rate was 45 bucks a night (and that included taxes and all those other stupid fees)

Not a bad friend at all but may I make a suggestion.

Don't stay away, come in and play even while trying to get out of debt.

1. EXPERIENCE!!

there is an old saying.... "many hands make the load lighter". Now the majority of folks here have a few "miles" on the ole tires. LOL, I know I could give you some horror stories on the financial missteps me and the old guy have made. for example remind me to tell you the story about the 3000 dollar Breast pump I purchased from, of all places Hammacher Schlemmmer that was supposed to pump breast milk, make me lose baby fat, make the baby sleep and walk the dog. All it did was make me 3000 bucks in debt. :lmao:

2. SUPPORT I think getting out of debt is very much like many other bad habits, smoking, over eating etc. they succeed better with a support group.

3. ENCOURAGEMENT
Hey, we all want our friends to get a trip to the lodge. Use the lodge as a goal. I'm very much like this. it's hard for me some times to save for far off things like "retirement" especially when I was younger. It just always seemed like some intangible, and a long ways away. But I was (and still am) to a degree really good when you give me a goal. tell me in 8 months I can go to XYZ and I'm a saving/budget fool. :lmao:

Now as an answer to your question. hum, I would probably rent a car. Goodings supermarket is probably the closets to wdw being right outside of DTD but their prices are inflated also. If you can get a super cheap rate from the onsite national and don't mind driving a few minutes to the walmart, you can load up the car and return it on site. I rented an economy car a few years back for 2 days and the rate was 45 bucks a night (and that included taxes and all those other stupid fees)

Thanks Eliza! Good points, and you're right - I definitely could use some encouragement. I just never want to be the "broken record" and only talk about the same thing over and over. :laughing: It has literally been the only thing going on at my house for the past 2 months, so I fet like I had nothing to even contribute. :crazy2:

It's like 'word vomit' from Mean Girls, I could see my friends and family getting annoyed with me only talking about that, but couldn't stop :laughing:

Just to share my little chuckle of the day. Walked into Harbor Freight Tools to look for a new wheel for a yard cart. The store was plain, boxy, filled with tools and things you need to fix anything, smelled faintly of tire rubber and the majority of the customers were indeed male. And blaring - very loudly - over the speaker system? "Let it Go"! :goodvibes

just to share my little chuckle of the day. Walked into harbor freight tools to look for a new wheel for a yard cart. The store was plain, boxy, filled with tools and things you need to fix anything, smelled faintly of tire rubber and the majority of the customers were indeed male. And blaring - very loudly - over the speaker system? "let it go"! :goodvibes

love. This.

Greg
If you go to Savannah, be sure to make a stop by Lady and Sons restaurant, as its some very good down south cooking.

Thanks very much for the tip. When I travel on biz, I usually ask a local working at or near my hotel where they like to eat when they go out. So I'm happy for the inside information.

Here is a few of the lodge from our recent trip. I know you all have seen most of these views, but thought I throw a few up on the thread.

I feel so blessed to be fortunate enough to come here on vacation. When people say "You're going to Disney again?" I just smile and say "Yeah, I am"

Heather
I am so proud of you for sticking to your plan. Doesnt it give you such a great feeling? And sneaking in that WDW trip is perfectly fine, you know what your budget will allow, its a great way to go knowing what you can spend, and knowing when you get home, you arent hurting money wise because of it.

As for groceries, we decided to rent a car to go from Orlando/Sanford airport to AKL and get groceries, and have for use to get to parks, etc. Got our best rate through AAA. Looked into Garden Grocer but no more than we needed didnt make sense. Others can chime in on this, curious to hear their thoughts.

Greg,
A few of those shots are new to me. And I love your answer to others and the reason why:thumbsup2

Just to share my little chuckle of the day. Walked into Harbor Freight Tools to look for a new wheel for a yard cart. The store was plain, boxy, filled with tools and things you need to fix anything, smelled faintly of tire rubber and the majority of the customers were indeed male. And blaring - very loudly - over the speaker system? "Let it Go"! :goodvibes

I bet some of those guys were tapping there toe. I have heard that song a 1000 times, thanks to my daughter and the girls in youth group. Sometimes I catch myself humming along when the chorus comes around!:crazy2:

As for groceries, we decided to rent a car to go from Orlando/Sanford airport to AKL and get groceries, and have for use to get to parks, etc. Got our best rate through AAA. Looked into Garden Grocer but no more than we needed didnt make sense. Others can chime in on this, curious to hear their thoughts.

I would probably rent a car. Goodings supermarket is probably the closets to wdw being right outside of DTD but their prices are inflated also. If you can get a super cheap rate from the onsite national and don't mind driving a few minutes to the walmart, you can load up the car and return it on site. I rented an economy car a few years back for 2 days and the rate was 45 bucks a night (and that included taxes and all those other stupid fees)

I agree with their opinions. If your plan is seven nights, the money you will save eating breakfast and lunch in the room would easily pay for a day or two car rental. Two adults at a QS restaurant for lunch will be at least $25 per day. Depending on your breakfast it could get to $50 per day very quickly. Six days at that pace will be $300 or more. Plus you will probably eat better and it is more convenient having stuff in the room.

We spend time exploring off-site. I am usually looking for golf course options, and it is handy to know where other stuff is (i.e. a post office, UPS store, hospital, bomb shelters and such). There are two options.

South is Celebration. I don't know if there are any bomb shelters there, but there is an excellent Publix grocery which offers a very nice deli, pharmacy, etc. It is on U.S. HWY 192. Take world drive off property and keep going past I-4. Circle around to US 192. There is a strip on the highway there too with lots of restaurant choices for dinner.

North is good also. From VWL I go past Contemporary and take back roads off property. But you will be at OKW, so it is easier to take Buena Vista Drive east and then go North. You will want to use county road 535, or aka Winter Garden Vineland Road. I just say C535. There is another Publix up there too. It is in a small strip mall complex on the west side of the road. Located near Lake Spar when viewing a map.

Either way it is five or ten minute commute and you can save at least $200 or more. We rent a car at the airport and have wheels all week. I use Hertz through my business account. You can find cheaper rates at the airport. We hit the Publix and then check in with groceries in the car. You may want to rent vehicle for a day or so and stock up for the week. We like doing our own shopping and having snacks/drinks in the fridge. Makes it feel like home!

Hello Groupies :wave2:

I've been gone for a long long time....I'm a very bad groupie :(

Still I'm so glad that all of you good groupies are still here :lovestruc
with some new ones as well

This spring has been busy with our youngest DD's wedding followed by
DH needing some surgery and 8 weeks of rehab
nothing life threatening Praise God...Still no excuses for me so sorry :guilty:

I just started to read back a few pages
looks like there are a few Weddings in the works
Congrats Jimmy and Corinne
and Congrats to the groupie having a honeymoon this Oct
in our Happy Place
Don't worry BLT can be Magical too
and as many have said there are some other things
you may enjoy like the lounge.
It can be very romantic to watch the fireworks there.

Many belated Birthday and Anniversary greetings

Stay Well and Take Care Groupies :flower3:

Heather I am so proud of you for sticking to your plan. Doesnt it give you such a great feeling? And sneaking in that WDW trip is perfectly fine, you know what your budget will allow, its a great way to go knowing what you can spend, and knowing when you get home, you arent hurting money wise because of it. As for groceries, we decided to rent a car to go from Orlando/Sanford airport to AKL and get groceries, and have for use to get to parks, etc. Got our best rate through AAA. Looked into Garden Grocer but no more than we needed didnt make sense. Others can chime in on this, curious to hear their thoughts. Greg, A few of those shots are new to me. And I love your answer to others and the reason why:thumbsup2

Thanks Jimmy! It's good to hear you say that. I know you've gone through the program, and it's nice to know that vacationing in the middle isn't looked at as a horrible mistake. Not having a trip to plan, or something to work towards was depressing and I kept wanting to quit my 2nd job. Now having that to look forward to is making me think 'I can do this for 6 more weeks to get a Disney trip out of it, AND pay off my card!' .... :)

I agree with their opinions. If your plan is seven nights, the money you will save eating breakfast and lunch in the room would easily pay for a day or two car rental. Two adults at a QS restaurant for lunch will be at least $25 per day. Depending on your breakfast it could get to $50 per day very quickly. Six days at that pace will be $300 or more. Plus you will probably eat better and it is more convenient having stuff in the room. We spend time exploring off-site. I am usually looking for golf course options, and it is handy to know where other stuff is (i.e. a post office, UPS store, hospital, bomb shelters and such). There are two options. South is Celebration. I don't know if there are any bomb shelters there, but there is an excellent Publix grocery which offers a very nice deli, pharmacy, etc. It is on U.S. HWY 192. Take world drive off property and keep going past I-4. Circle around to US 192. There is a strip on the highway there too with lots of restaurant choices for dinner. North is good also. From VWL I go past Contemporary and take back roads off property. But you will be at OKW, so it is easier to take Buena Vista Drive east and then go North. You will want to use county road 535, or aka Winter Garden Vineland Road. I just say C535. There is another Publix up there too. It is in a small strip mall complex on the west side of the road. Located near Lake Spar when viewing a map. Either way it is five or ten minute commute and you can save at least $200 or more. We rent a car at the airport and have wheels all week. I use Hertz through my business account. You can find cheaper rates at the airport. We hit the Publix and then check in with groceries in the car. You may want to rent vehicle for a day or so and stock up for the week. We like doing our own shopping and having snacks/drinks in the fridge. Makes it feel like home!

Thanks Greg! Our plan was every breakfast and most dinners in the room, and a QS lunch in the parks every day. We packed lunches once before and it didn't go well. We found ourselves choking down our PB&J and then getting something else also because we smelled and saw all the amazing food. Lol.

I think I am going to price car rentals and then take a look at Kelly's PDS service also. I don't think their prices are as inflated as going through GG.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Kathy
Love that story about Harbor Freight, Casey and I listen to WDW inspired music on our phones at work, and all these construction guys coming around get a big kick out of us while Once Upon a Dream, Let It Go or Beauty and the Beast are blaring. Hey, Im in touch with my manly side too:goodvibes

Joy
Glad to see you and we all understand, life kicks in and we are absent from other things, but glad you are still here all the same...once a groupie, always a groupie:thumbsup2

:rotfl2: soooo great!

Happy Sunday Groupies! I haven't been around much, the wedding is Friday! We are all so excited. :goodvibes Hope you are all well!

Best wishes Corinne!:goodvibesWe just got back from our DDs 1st bridal shower. Very nice start to her kitchen needs. Busy times around VWL groupieville:hourglass

Thanks for the well wishes Joy, Sly & Jimmy!. Jimmy is your DD going to have numerous showers?! Lucky girl!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter