VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Welcome back Di! Glad yall had a great trip:-) We too like Kidani, though we have only stayed once. My only holdback, the long halls, but hey, its a great resort no matter.

Seeing that clear shot of the lake, isnt it odd we always requested lake view, wanted too, had too, see the lake. Now that we got a clear view, we want it back the old way. Dont get me wrong, I am there with you, wish they had left it alone...but we are a odd bunch arent we, humans, wanting one thing, but not really:tilt:

This thread is getting harder & harder to keep up with! :faint:
Maybe you should drop by more often. . . :duck:

We're with you and JT about moving south. I've noticed that the less young I get, the more I hate cold and snow. Our part of the country (southwest VA) has four distinct seasons, but it's that nasty winter one that has me longing for warmer temps. Sometimes, we get fairly mild winters, but more often we get a month of decent winter weather then have a couple of crappy months. This winter is a great example. Fine until a couple of weeks after Christmas, then bitter cold, followed by a whomping of a snow storm, followed by enough warmth to melt the snow but bring in soaking rains (ergo, flooding), followed by more bitter cold, then another snow storm which brought in freezing rain followed the next day by three more inches of snow. Kids will be going to school in July at this rate.

We've also had the discussion of moving full-time once we retire, to renting during the winter south of here, to buying but not using it all year for awhile. It's an on-going discussion.

All this talk about moving to FL. Actually, I plan to do just that in a few years if things work out or maybe sooner. Moon Express will be looking for GNC Engineers to work at the Cape and I'm on the list to be talked to about a position.

All this talk about moving to FL. Actually, I plan to do just that in a few years if things work out or maybe sooner. Moon Express will be looking for GNC Engineers to work at the Cape and I'm on the list to be talked to about a position.

That just sounds sooo cool WD!

Sleepy, We are tossing around same ideas...rent, buy a small house or condo(like condo idea, no maint.=more time at WDW :D)in FL. and still have a small place in NC for the warmer mos. in FL. I had a great aunt who lived in FL. in winter mos then moved back to town here in NC through summer, got the best of both worlds
WD, Very cool!

Sleepy and JT: DDad and I are discussing the same. We've met with a realtor and have an area in mind. My old bones just do not like these cold winters anymore! That's still several years down the road though.....

We had a little light snowfall yesterday. There's still 6-8" on the ground. Our roads are clear and easily managed. Mom and I were out for a Dr's appointment yesterday and expect to do a little grocery shopping today. Our temps are to soar into the 50's over the week-end.... then all this snow turns into slush and mud....I hate mud.

Very cool, indeed WD!

Moving to Florida!?! :scared1: Remember dear, Florida has lots of LARGE bugs, extreme heat in summer, LARGE snakes . . . . . and Bobcats!

Moving to Florida!?! :scared1: Remember dear, Florida has lots of LARGE bugs, extreme heat in summer, LARGE snakes . . . . . and Bobcats!
You forgot sinkholes. Lots and lots of sinkholes. Even Disney isn't immune to the limestone melting away underfoot with help from acid rain and droughts.

The bobcats don't bother me. They'd much rather keep to themselves than anything. If you see one in a populated area it's because they're having trouble finding food in the woods, or the woods have been turned into a people-habitat. The big bugs and snakes on the otherhand... uh. Yeah.

You forgot sinkholes. Lots and lots of sinkholes. Even Disney isn't immune to the limestone melting away underfoot with help from acid rain and droughts.

The bobcats don't bother me. They'd much rather keep to themselves than anything. If you see one in a populated area it's because they're having trouble finding food in the woods, or the woods have been turned into a people-habitat. The big bugs and snakes on the otherhand... uh. Yeah.

Right there with you Twinklebug! I'd probably have a problem with the gaters too. Bobcats. Eh. We have coyotes & fisher cats here. No big deal. They keep to themselves.

Checking in more often Sleepy! :P:D

1 more sleep! :jumping1: And almost perfect timing - if I had left yesterday I would have been flying to similar weather in FL as we were having in Reno. But this morning we woke up to 6 inches of snow and more coming! Get me out of here!!!! Most of my family seems to assume I'll drag DH down to FL to live. :rotfl: Actually, we've talked about a warmer location too and that likely will happen but it's a tiny bit more likely to be the dry heat of southern Nevada or Ariz. I had a great aunt, uncle and cousin that snowbirded in Winter Park from Wisconsin for years and years. That's why I got to start visiting WDW in 1973 and haven't stopped!

Has anyone seen this? I had gotten info here several months ago about the tree clearing going on around Epcot. Well, here's how it's shaping up!

HM1.png

I have to say, that's cool attention to detail to make a Mickey Head out of your solar farm!

And here's an aerial of VWL. Sad to say it doesn't make me smile like the solar panels.

WL3.png

The pictures are on Orlando Theme Park News.

Does it look like the roof is being replaced close to the main lodge? I don't remember seeing any information about roof replacement so maybe my eyes are deceiving me.

1 more sleep! :jumping1: And almost perfect timing - if I had left yesterday I would have been flying to similar weather in FL as we were having in Reno. But this morning we woke up to 6 inches of snow and more coming! Get me out of here!!!! Most of my family seems to assume I'll drag DH down to FL to live. :rotfl: Actually, we've talked about a warmer location too and that likely will happen but it's a tiny bit more likely to be the dry heat of southern Nevada or Ariz. I had a great aunt, uncle and cousin that snowbirded in Winter Park from Wisconsin for years and years. That's why I got to start visiting WDW in 1973 and haven't stopped!

Has anyone seen this? I had gotten info here several months ago about the tree clearing going on around Epcot. Well, here's how it's shaping up!

HM1.png

I have to say, that's cool attention to detail to make a Mickey Head out of your solar farm!

And here's an aerial of VWL. Sad to say it doesn't make me smile like the solar panels.

WL3.png

The pictures are on Orlando Theme Park News.

Love photo #1. Hate photo #2. Thanks for posting Kathy.

Does it look like the roof is being replaced close to the main lodge? I don't remember seeing any information about roof replacement so maybe my eyes are deceiving me.

It does look like that is what is going on. Good catch! I'm guessing it might just be an issue with that section since nothing was otherwise announced.

Well, we are here now after stopping overnight in our usual place in Brunswick, GA. First thing, we hit the race expo at Wide World of Sports. . .and it was a zoo! Poorly managed entry to get the t-shirt which comes as part of the fee for entering. Race packet pick-up was fine, but instead of having t-shirts there, you had to go to the main expo building (Jostens bldg) which had a line that extended from near the entrance, wound around the main quad area, down stairs, around planters, down an alley, back up the stairs on the other side, down the length of the Jostens bldg, and then finally into the expo itself. Crazy! We cheated a little and got in quickly. More on that later. pirate:

Our room? 5523, a 1BR. Wow. Simply wow. Yes, it has the bland refurb treatment like the other rooms at VWL, but the vaulted ceilings (both living space and BR) are very nice. If you'll note the last two digits, we got one of the coveted corner rooms that WOULD have overlooked the courtyard and Hidden Springs pool. We've been hoping to get one of these rooms for years. So, we have two balconies and a great view of the lake. Yes, we have the dormer-style balconies, so we can't see the lake sitting down; however, it's not a major issue for us. Yes, construction is very, VERY evident, and if I can figure out how to get photos from my phone to this thread, I will do so at some point. Meanwhile, I will report that the whole Hidden Springs pool and beach area are completely in the digging phase. There is scaffolding covering the entire length of the south wing of the main Lodge on what used to be pool-facing rooms. The side facing VWL, however, has none except at the very end near what used to be the beach. As you walk from the bus stop toward the Villas section, there is a brown construction wall that seals off the sidewalk between the main Lodge and the Villas, and there is a gate that straddles said sidewalk. That wall and gate encompass where DVC Mickey used to be, so perhaps he will come back once construction is complete. The buffalo topiaries are, likewise, still missing. The Smell-itizer, or whatever it's called, is on steroids as the wonderful Lodge-y smell was more noticeable than we've seen, er, smelled before. CMs, thus far, have been extremely friendly. Construction noise is faint (then again we are on the fifth floor) and at this time--4:45--all the equipment is now gone and stopped.

I am still verklempt about all the construction, and I'm missing the beach already. However, the Lodge is still gorgeous; the boat horns and boats are still omnipresent; and the feeling of being home still exists. I don't know what all the changes incorporate, and I won't like them all, I'm sure. Still, it's good to be "home" even with all its warts. Will check back later.

Kathy...thank you for the aerial photos of the construction. Those pictures really provide the full scope of the project. I'll look forward to seeing more of them as things progress.

Sleepy...glad to hear that you were able to get one of those corner rooms with the oversized living room. Lots of room to spread out and a real dining table (where my computer was set up the last time we stayed in one of those..which was last year!

We'll be looking for more updates as we go, and of course more photos. You'd think by now the DISBoards would have an app to allow photos to upload directly into thread posts! :)

So I went out to Orlando Theme Park News...kind of a cool site.

Here's a broader picture that I snipped off that site showing the entire scope of the construction:

VWL 2 Progress 2-18-16.JPG

HM1.png

Love it.
If I didn't know better, I'd say Disney is setting up yet another signal to any alien life forms that may/may not exist that this planet is owned and operated by The Disney Corporation.

Wow, lots happening today! Thanks Kathy and Granny for the aerial view of our dear Lodge. Really makes me sad. 1-more sleep :yay::yay::yay: Yea! I hope you have nicer weather than we did last week. I did enjoy the clear, blue sky even if was a little on the cooler side.

Great score sleepy of your wonderful room! Daughter and I had that room last Feb for our mothers/daughters trip with my dear friend and her daughter. Love the space!

Love your comment Twink. And we're right there supporting it .

Well, we are here now after stopping overnight in our usual place in Brunswick, GA. First thing, we hit the race expo at Wide World of Sports. . .and it was a zoo! Poorly managed entry to get the t-shirt which comes as part of the fee for entering. Race packet pick-up was fine, but instead of having t-shirts there, you had to go to the main expo building (Jostens bldg) which had a line that extended from near the entrance, wound around the main quad area, down stairs, around planters, down an alley, back up the stairs on the other side, down the length of the Jostens bldg, and then finally into the expo itself. Crazy! We cheated a little and got in quickly. More on that later. pirate:

Our room? 5523, a 1BR. Wow. Simply wow. Yes, it has the bland refurb treatment like the other rooms at VWL, but the vaulted ceilings (both living space and BR) are very nice. If you'll note the last two digits, we got one of the coveted corner rooms that WOULD have overlooked the courtyard and Hidden Springs pool. We've been hoping to get one of these rooms for years. So, we have two balconies and a great view of the lake. Yes, we have the dormer-style balconies, so we can't see the lake sitting down; however, it's not a major issue for us. Yes, construction is very, VERY evident, and if I can figure out how to get photos from my phone to this thread, I will do so at some point. Meanwhile, I will report that the whole Hidden Springs pool and beach area are completely in the digging phase. There is scaffolding covering the entire length of the south wing of the main Lodge on what used to be pool-facing rooms. The side facing VWL, however, has none except at the very end near what used to be the beach. As you walk from the bus stop toward the Villas section, there is a brown construction wall that seals off the sidewalk between the main Lodge and the Villas, and there is a gate that straddles said sidewalk. That wall and gate encompass where DVC Mickey used to be, so perhaps he will come back once construction is complete. The buffalo topiaries are, likewise, still missing. The Smell-itizer, or whatever it's called, is on steroids as the wonderful Lodge-y smell was more noticeable than we've seen, er, smelled before. CMs, thus far, have been extremely friendly. Construction noise is faint (then again we are on the fifth floor) and at this time--4:45--all the equipment is now gone and stopped.

I am still verklempt about all the construction, and I'm missing the beach already. However, the Lodge is still gorgeous; the boat horns and boats are still omnipresent; and the feeling of being home still exists. I don't know what all the changes incorporate, and I won't like them all, I'm sure. Still, it's good to be "home" even with all its warts. Will check back later.

Shhhhhh!!!!! That's my favorite room of all time! I never tell anyone the number because then when I request it it won't be available!

Thanks for the construction updates. Enjoy your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter