VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Thank you everyone for your advice and experience with the Universal hotels. After watching some videos, it seems I could like Cabana Bay if we aren't in the room as much as I'm used to with DVC, and I'd have to have foliage outside the window- the pool views seem to have a lot.

The Royal Pacific looks tempting. Reminds me of the Poly. Decisions, decisions.

I missed that deal, but thankyou for posting! I'm sure to find something, even contemplating extending our stay on Disney property and buying those front of the line passes. It won't help with the HP area, but I'm not an early morning person anyway ;)

You would still get early entry at Cabana Bay (in case you want one early day), just no front of the line pass!

Thank you everyone for your advice and experience with the Universal hotels. After watching some videos, it seems I could like Cabana Bay if we aren't in the room as much as I'm used to with DVC, and I'd have to have foliage outside the window- the pool views seem to have a lot.

The Royal Pacific looks tempting. Reminds me of the Poly. Decisions, decisions.

I missed that deal, but thankyou for posting! I'm sure to find something, even contemplating extending our stay on Disney property and buying those front of the line passes. It won't help with the HP area, but I'm not an early morning person anyway ;)

HP is really quite doable either if you head directly there when the park opens or if you wait until late in the day. I've noticed a definitely drop in waits for our travel times for Forbidden Journey. Of course I've removed my own self from that que in attempt to help out. And perhaps to not feel awful for the rest of the day! :laughing: We just waited until the end of the day for Gringotts and the wait was much less than mid-day.

I apologize if this is all old news to the VWL experts on this thread:

Today, December 2, 2015, I visited the Wilderness Resort and discovered the Bison topiary -- normally in front of the resort -- is still missing. None of the handful of CMs I talked to knew when he would return.

Also, I noticed for the first time that guests were being given wristbands when they entered the gated Silver Creek Pool, which is the main pool at Wilderness Lodge. The CM handing out the wristbands told me that they started the new policy about a month ago, about the time the DVC pool was closed. They are restricting access to Silver Creek Pool to Wilderness guests (both DVC and hotel).

Construction activities seem to be limited to the immediate area around the former DVC pool and the old bike rental hut. Since I was last at VWL on November 19, 2015, a lot of the old concrete from the pool and deck has been hauled away and they are moving dirt around (I know squat about construction, so don't expect me to explain what they are really doing). I didn't see any signs of work along the lake front or at the beach. Also, I didn't see signs of any trees having been cut down.

Today, December 2, 2015, I visited the Wilderness Resort and discovered the Bison topiary -- normally in front of the resort -- is still missing. None of the handful of CMs I talked to knew when he would return.

Also, I noticed for the first time that guests were being given wristbands when they entered the gated Silver Creek Pool, which is the main pool at Wilderness Lodge. The CM handing out the wristbands told me that they started the new policy about a month ago, about the time the DVC pool was closed. They are restricting access to Silver Creek Pool to Wilderness guests (both DVC and hotel).

Construction activities seem to be limited to the immediate area around the former DVC pool and the old bike rental hut. Since I was last at VWL on November 19, 2015, a lot of the old concrete from the pool and deck has been hauled away and they are moving dirt around (I know squat about construction, so don't expect me to explain what they are really doing). I didn't see any signs of work along the lake front or at the beach. Also, I didn't see signs of any trees having been cut down.
Thanks for the update

Not old news at all...thank you for taking the time to post the information. Hopefully they will continue to discourage pool hopping to WL pool which had been an issue in the past. Funny that you need a magic band to get a wrist band now? :)

Not old news at all...thank you for taking the time to post the information. Hopefully they will continue to discourage pool hopping to WL pool which had been an issue in the past. Funny that you need a magic band to get a wrist band now? :)
I think the MagicBand is necessary so the CM pool attendants can confirm a person is a WL or VWL guest. The wristband is then a visual marker that confirms that the guest has already been checked and "approved." I saw a few kids with wristbands run from the pool to Roaring Forks and back to the pool, and the CM didn't have to recheck them because they had the proper wristband.

BTW, when we rode the ferry from MK to WL yesterday, we asked a couple staying at WL if the construction was causing them any inconveniences. They were clueless that there was any construction going on!

wdrl, my DH, didn't mention that we noticed that the first floor room at VWL were all occupied despite the fact that two large earth movers we're working just on the other side of the fence. The noise that was really loud was the backing up warning noise from the vehicle that was moving back and forth, dumping dirt from further down the construction area to the area where the clawed vehicle spread it around. That noise would get to me after awhile.

According to recent reports, Disney is charging you if you don't have packages delivered. . . . . . . . . . . . Simply good business practice, I feel. :rolleyes1

The bigger the company, the more it looks and acts like the government . . . . and shame on you if you did not fully utilize the services offered. Don't you realize that without using the mentioned services, you may be individually responsible for putting someone out of work! Shame on you; shame on your family; shame on your horse, . . . . . . . sorry, Mushu and I just got carried away.

Sleepy - loved the post, tho . . .

Hepe everyone doesn't mind me posting a quick question here. if I am leaving epcot going back to the VWL, does the monorail outside the epcot entrance go to the transporation and ticket center, or direct to MK? I want to take the monorail/boat back after leaving epcot, and wondering if it will involve one or two monorail rides.
thanks

Hepe everyone doesn't mind me posting a quick question here. if I am leaving epcot going back to the VWL, does the monorail outside the epcot entrance go to the transporation and ticket center, or direct to MK? I want to take the monorail/boat back after leaving epcot, and wondering if it will involve one or two monorail rides.
thanks

The Epcot monorail travels between Epcot and the TTC. If you want to get to MK then you need to transfer to either the resort monorail which would stop at Poly and GF before you get to the MK or else on the express monorail that will go directly to the MK. Then you would get the WL boat from there.

The Epcot monorail travels between Epcot and the TTC. If you want to get to MK then you need to transfer to either the resort monorail which would stop at Poly and GF before you get to the MK or else on the express monorail that will go directly to the MK. Then you would get the WL boat from there.

If you like the boats, you can take the Ferry to MK from the TTC, then onto the WL boat. Disney transportation may not always be the fastest, or the most direct, but you generally always have multiple choices when going from here to there. We always consider the transportation system part of the total "adventure of the day" in The World.

It looks like I won't be meeting up with any Groupies this December, I know that I still owe someone a Manhattan, so please allow me to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Or, please let me wish you all a Happy Holidays. :)
I will take pictures of the construction and nicer places and post. Come Sunday this time, we should be just taking off from BWI for MCO. I am kind of dreading our SSR stint, but we'll make the best of it. Now what post from me this time of year would be complete without my dancing men!
:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:

It looks like I won't be meeting up with any Groupies this December, I know that I still owe someone a Manhattan, so please allow me to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Or, please let me wish you all a Happy Holidays. :)
I will take pictures of the construction and nicer places and post. Come Sunday this time, we should be just taking off from BWI for MCO. I am kind of dreading our SSR stint, but we'll make the best of it. Now what post from me this time of year would be complete without my dancing men!
:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:

WD we'll be heading down there tomorrow thru the 10th. Maybe we can get a chance to say hi! I'm planning on getting to the Member Mixer on the 8th and probably spending most time at Epcot and DHS but of course visits to the other 2 parks as well. We'll be at BCV. Your SSR stay will give you all a great chance to shop at Disney Springs! :santa:

WD we'll be heading down there tomorrow thru the 10th. Maybe we can get a chance to say hi! I'm planning on getting to the Member Mixer on the 8th and probably spending most time at Epcot and DHS but of course visits to the other 2 parks as well. We'll be at BCV. Your SSR stay will give you all a great chance to shop at Disney Springs! :santa:
Sounds like a plan. I'll talk with the little lady.

The bigger the company, the more it looks and acts like the government . . . . and shame on you if you did not fully utilize the services offered. Don't you realize that without using the mentioned services, you may be individually responsible for putting someone out of work! Shame on you; shame on your family; shame on your horse, . . . . . . . sorry, Mushu and I just got carried away.

Sleepy - loved the post, tho . . .

I'm hanging my head in shame! How dare I not be considering paying that delivery fee! :sad2: :rolleyes:

WD & Kat - have a great time! :santa: :santa:

Wishing all my groupie friends a great weekend! :goodvibes

One more day to go! Last minute stuff to do. I have to grade final exams and get semester grades in. I have to finalize packing, which should be easy. I have to check into the flight. I have to make coffee and breakfast. Not necessarily in that order.
:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:

As far as the Lodge portion of our vacation, how could I not stay there? I think it's in our blood and you know what I mean. Think about that rustic main lobby with the huge Christmas tree greeting you as you walk in. Think about the fireplace and the totem poles, the enormity of the place. I know you can see it. It's burned into your mind and burned into your heart. I'm getting misty just thinking about it. Those feelings are why we are VWL groupies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter