VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Thanks, Patrick. I think wistfulness is a good description of my feelings at that point. We can handle change, we just hope that the next buck for Disney doesn't come at the cost of something we love (ie. the ambiance of VWL). And we know that in the scheme of things, this is definitely not that big of a thing. Just something we savor and hope to continue to do so for another 25 years or so. Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, Di, we made it home safe and sound with a wonderful, uneventful flying day. When we got to our house about 7:00 pm, I said to Mrs Granny that it is strange to have lunch at Be Our Guest restaurant and then have dinner back home. After having driven the 16 hour trip to WDW for so many years, it is nice to be flying more often these days. Enjoy your trip to our favorite place! :)

Granny, how'd you like BOG?

Granny, how'd you like BOG?

Eliza...we ended up eating there three times this trip, so I guess we like it pretty well! :)

We had no BOG ADR's at all before we left on our trip. I had looked several times at the dates that my daughters would be with us and it was unavailable every time for those days, breakfast or lunch. Then when we were there for a couple of days, Mrs Granny found a breakfast available the next day and grabbed it. We were able to grab another breakfast a couple days before my daughters arrived so they could enjoy it. And then the day before we left Mrs Granny stumbled across a lunch that we grabbed...literally 90 minutes before our ME bus was scheduled to depart.

Okay, none of that has to do with your question, does it? We like BOG, though it is no bargain. Breakfast seems to be a good option that we tried for the first time this trip. I had Eggs Florentine and the second time an Open-Faced Bacon and Egg Sandwich. I liked each one, and enjoyed my Vegetable Quiche for lunch on the last day.

All breakfast options are the same price ($19.99) and include the drink which makes them more palatable. The lunch menu has more of a range $10 - $16 but drink is $3.00 additional.

I think the food is in the okay to pretty good range, but at that restaurant it is all about the theming. There are three eating areas to choose from (you just go and find an open table wherever you like after placing the order). The main Ballroom, the Rose Room, and the West Wing are all exceptionally well done. The West Wing (themed to where the beast lived) is the smallest...dark and foreboding and the most crowded. We have eaten in all sections and each has its own charm.

If we hadn't gotten ADRs for BOG this trip it wouldn't have bugged us much. But when they became available, we tended to grab them. I think going forward that once per trip would be more than enough. But if you have guests who are into Beauty and the Beast, it is a beautifully themed experience.

We will have nothing formal at all just basicly the in laws saying a few words together that one of their daughters will prompt them. Basicly two people talking and looking at each other and maybe a few iPhone pictures.
Personally, and others might disagree, I believe there are enough private areas where you could do such a simple thing and not worry about any fallout. In fact, if it's as quick and simple as you propose, I'm not even sure Disney would care. When someone asks another to marry him/her and have it fairly well staged in the middle of Magic Kingdom, everyone oohs and ahhs. There's not a lot of difference with your scenario since no officiant or decorations or the like will be going on. Again, that's just me, and I am no authority. Whatever they decide, best wishes to them and you!

What is your first memory of WDW?
In another "life," I flew to Orlando with someone who was attending a conference. There was free time one day, so we headed over to Epcot. Honestly, we weren't too impressed, and I had been stationed in CA a few years earlier so Disneyland was still fresh in my mind, so I didn't want to bother with MK as there was only time for one park. The conference also sponsored a soiree at Universal Studios, a buffet-style dinner in part of the park that was closed off except to this group. That was cool, and the Back to the Future ride was the big thing then (and King Kong). We had most of the park to ourselves (the group). However, my first long-term memory of WDW was completely different.

Years after the conference, when my daughter was a mere toddler, we had visited family in Melbourne while staying at the Holiday Inn that used to sit right on the beach (later trashed by a hurricane). While the room was spacious, it was a bit dingy, sandy, and reeked of carpet deodorizer. Moreover, the a/c barely worked and it was the dead of summer. We spent three fun but rather miserable days there before heading over to see Mickey for the first time in FL. I had done a ton of research, and the only resorts that had full availability during that period were GF or WL, specifically VWL (we didn't know the difference). The Lodge was much cheaper, so we had booked it. We drove over hot, tired, and slightly cranky. . .until we, too, walked into the Lodge lobby. Wow. The a/c was wonderful! The architecture was stunning. The CMs were so friendly, and when we stepped into the VWL portion it was like heaven, a feeling which only intensified when we walked into the gorgeous 1BR suite. Again, it was so clean, so cool, so inviting. We were incredibly happy. The next few days went quickly and seamlessly, and the offer then was for SSR, so we took the tour and bought a couple of weeks after getting home.

Though life has changed this past decade plus (and meeting luv has been the icing on that cake), I never forgot my first crush on the Lodge, so when the time came to purchase points with luv, there was only one choice--our second home. pixiedust:

so need some advice.........so my question is there any private or semi private areas around the hotel or walking paths we could pull out a 15 minute thing????

Can't disagree with Sleepy, really :scratchin; but my first thoughts were to have everyone quickly gather in the Carolwood Pacific Room, do your thing, move on out. We have had hour long "Groupie Meets" there and you never see a CM. Sorry, probably bad advice, but it was what came to mind. :confused3

Can't disagree with Sleepy, really :scratchin; but my first thoughts were to have everyone quickly gather in the Carolwood Pacific Room, do your thing, move on out. We have had hour long "Groupie Meets" there and you never see a CM. Sorry, probably bad advice, but it was what came to mind. :confused3

no that is a great suggestion....the other though we had we have an 8am crystal palace one day when the park opens at 9am....i was thinking if we are like 5 mins we could say our piece on the left side in the new hub grass area.....it depends on how quick they want this to be......personally i would rather have a 3 minute thing in the MK then a 10 minute thing at the room or hotel....time will tell i will report on what happens

Loving all the "first memories" of WDW. Keep them coming!

no that is a great suggestion....the other though we had we have an 8am crystal palace one day when the park opens at 9am....i was thinking if we are like 5 mins we could say our piece on the left side in the new hub grass area.....it depends on how quick they want this to be......personally i would rather have a 3 minute thing in the MK then a 10 minute thing at the room or hotel....time will tell i will report on what happens
I'd be very careful in any park. Disney is known to swoop in fast to disrupt any sort of formalized gathering.

I agree with DDad, The Carolwood Pacific room is a great, quiet place. If the weather is perfect, there is a large porch area off of it that might be nice.
Or, I'd go with renting a pontoon boat. Be aware that Disney may require all occupants to wear life preservers.

Any way you do it, I'm sure there will be a tale to tell and memories made :)

Is the Carolwood Pacific room going to be used for the evening movie with the construction-induced beach closure?

Is the Carolwood Pacific room going to be used for the evening movie with the construction-induced beach closure?
Good point, and I believe that is the plan once (if?) the beach construction starts. However, that would be evening hours even then so I'm thinking it should be okay should someone wish to hang out there for a few minutes.

my first memory has to be when I was about 10 or so years of age. I had been to Magic Kingdom when i was younger than that, but dont really recall it. We lived in Ontario at the time, and my dads workplace must have had a timeshare that they allowed employees to use. At the time, it was called Disney Village, and this is where Saratoga Springs is now. I don't even recall downtown Disney being there at the time, but could be wrong. I remember the villa being a three story place, with a third bedroom and bath on the top floor that I had all to myself. I have a twin I shared a room with at home during that time, so it was so cool to have my own room with a bathroom! The village was great, with several pools and transportation via bus to the parks. I remember driving in each year and seeing the tree-houses and thinking it would be cool to stay in one of those someday. My brother and I used the buses by ourselves (don't know if that would happen these days) to go to the parks. I actually think I was there right around the same year and time that MGM (Hollywood studios) opened. A couple of the little things I remember were the ducks and rabbits we would see right outside our patio, and the staff coming by at night and dropping off those little mint chocolate candies. We did this same trip for several years in a row around the years of 87-89.
Almost thirty years later I carry those great memories with me. I guess now that I am a DVC owner I can finally stay in one of those tree-houses.

I'd not suggest doing that in the park. That's the best way to get on Disneys bad side from what I hear. Someplace around the lodge would probably be doable.

Welcome to the Groupies thread, jmassey1samchi ! And thanks for sharing your early memories of WDW. Stick around if you'd like and join in on our various discussions especially about WL and VWL. Glad you could join us! :)

thanks Granny. I have actually taken the time, and it did take a while, to start reading this thread from page 1. Not every single post, and skipping through some of the off topic stuff, but it has given me a lot of insight and comfort in knowing that I chose the right resort to purchase. We prefer to go to the world in December, and I see that the wilderness lodge may be the nicest decorated and comfortable resort at that time. We are going there for our first time in December, and the first time on our own points, and cant wait! (even with the construction going on I chose to stay)
thanks for the welcome in.

Hi all. As usual I've been stalking this thread - really enjoy the companionship the active members share.

Granny - I was down there while you were but we were at AKL- Jambo for my husband's (Kaare) 60th. Sept. 26 -30th. We had three couples with us and provided the room for all. Disney definitely sprinkled pixie dust on us
I had booked std view studios for the other couples and a 1 bdrm value for us but we were all given savannah view rooms - amazing. Every night of our stay - there was a tree outside our room that the animals congregated at.
You could look out and see a couple of giraffes lying down under that tree and zebras also. We did the Wanyama safari which was absolutely fabulous. I would recommend it to everyone. It may seem a little pricey at first glance but
if you analyze the cost - it's actually very reasonable. ( the accountant in me coming out - it's what I do - it's what helps me pay for what I live for (Disney)).

Also since it took a few tries to get the correct credit card attached to the correct couple Disney put unrestricted fast passes on our wrist bands - 3 each for three days.

My earliest memory of WDW is Kaare and I coming down for a long weekend in 1987 - I had never been - we were young and broke - stayed off property - but I will never forget the sense of awe I felt the first time I set foot in MK seeing that castle. I fell in love and like my marrigae it is a love affair that has not lost is shine.

thanks Granny. I have actually taken the time, and it did take a while, to start reading this thread from page 1. Not every single post, and skipping through some of the off topic stuff, but it has given me a lot of insight and comfort in knowing that I chose the right resort to purchase. We prefer to go to the world in December, and I see that the wilderness lodge may be the nicest decorated and comfortable resort at that time. We are going there for our first time in December, and the first time on our own points, and cant wait! (even with the construction going on I chose to stay)
thanks for the welcome in.
Wow. You must be right for the Groupies to have read this entire thread from the first post! (And circhead, lurking is certainly allowable and a Groupie characteristic, too ;)). Welcome aboard! We do like to claim the title of the friendliest group on the DIS; though I've met only a handful of the Groupie faithful, I can say that truly this bunch is the most supportive, genuine, and helpful group I've run across. To say they have become family isn't a stretch at all. Both of you feel free to chime in and if you wish, drop me a note about your dates visiting the World, and I will add you. JT is the anniversary/birthday guru as you both likely know. As for Christmas at the Lodge, it's unbeatable, and like you, even with construction, I suspect it will still be THE place to be. Now, if only the Osborne Lights weren't going away. . .:rolleyes1

I am at the beginning stages of planning possibly a big family trip for Dec. 2017... do you think construction will still be in full swing? I would be bringing a bunch of non-Disney fans and I would hate to make it worse if there was a bunch of construction.

I am at the beginning stages of planning possibly a big family trip for Dec. 2017... do you think construction will still be in full swing? I would be bringing a bunch of non-Disney fans and I would hate to make it worse if there was a bunch of construction.
Well, now, that's a real quandary you're facing. While the original plan mentions two years' worth of construction, there isn't an actual end date given, and based on their latest similar attempt at Poly (bungalows and main building refurb) plus reportedly a whole new building sitting on the beach, I have sincere doubts that they'll be done in just over two years. That being said, here are the four situations I think you face: 1) they'll mostly be done and construction will be a minimal distraction; 2) construction will be finished and there are no issues; 3) possibly they scale back their plans (no new building, for example), and they're completely done; 4) construction will still be going on and a major nuisance. I'm guessing somewhere between 1 and 4 will be what you face. That being said, Christmas at the Lodge is still unlike any other experience at any other resort, so I do believe whatever distractions are going on will be worth enduring. Even when Poly was in the middle of its construction, you still knew you were at the Poly and not a construction zone. Disney does do a good job of hiding where they work, and any construction noise rarely bothers us since we're up early in the morning. Good luck with your decision!

And, Happy Birthday stopher1!!!!

Happy Saturday Groupies. Fall has arrived here in Massachusetts, it's chilly and has been damp and rainy.

Granny, glad you had a great trip! Thanks for sharing all the great photos. :goodvibes

I thoroughly enjoyed the PBS documentary on Walt. Like Jimmy, I have read several books about him so I wasn't surprised by anything revealed. It almost seems cliche to say he was a man before his time and a true visionary, but it's true. I thought it was funny many clips are also included in One Man's Dream. Although funny isn't really the operative, I always shed a few tears when I see the footage, and did the same several times throughout the documentary. I ❤️ Walt! :)

Wow, lots of activity on the thread!

WELCOME jmassey1samchi and circhead! So nice to have you here!

pmaurer74 - as you are planning, do you expect to spend a lot of time at the Lodge or will you be in the parks? DDad and I go every December to enjoy the Lodge and all the wonderful Christmas decorations of the World. This is absolutely my most favorite time of the year. You have lots of time to plan. I guess I'd wait and see how the construction progresses.

I've enjoyed reading of everyone's first memory. So many wonderful experiences! I was never at WDW as a kid. DDad and I took our kids in 1989 - maybe even passed Granny on the street and never knew it :). As a family we would travel to WDW about every 5 years. We stayed at the Beach Club one visit, the old Disney Institute on one and when our son joined the service we took one last family trip staying at SSR in 2006-at which time we also purchased DVC. As 'new' DVC owners we walked into the Carolwood Pacific Room and knew this was a place to own. We thoroughly enjoy our time when at SSR and in fact will be there in the Spring. But my heart and soul are at the Lodge.

Cold and rainy in Ohio today and probably tomorrow, too. Have a good weekend Groupies!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter