VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

On a nostalgic note instead of a construction note thought I'd re-share the Disneyland 60th Birthday video done yesterday by the DIS in case some missed it. Brought a happy tear to my eye!

Kathy...thank you so much for posting this. I probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise. And I have to say that it is hard to stay dry-eyed when Richard Sherman is talking about his start with Disney, and that wonderful rendition of "Feed the Birds" by Richard and Ashley (I forgot her last name...she is the lead in Mary Poppins on Broadway).

Just wonderful, really. Thanks again!!

Sleepy- care to elaborate on your dining experience at AP? Was there a new menu?
I'd be glad to do so, Corinne. There is a new executive chef (from CG, I believe) and a new-ish menu. Best of all, there seemed to be more of a focus on quality and standards. The stand-by items are still there (salmon, some type of buffalo, portobello soup which they are now more appropriately calling a bisque, berry cobbler), but they've added a Thai Pho, a halibut, and tweaked the pork loin, filet, and pork loin dishes. According to the manager (who came by our table), the plans are to upgrade the menu the next few months while not tinkering with the favorites too much. Our service was exemplary, the food excellent, and the view as you can see, lovely. Of course, we always ask for a window seat and as we dine early, have nearly always had success. Below are some pictures.

This is a small indication of our view at AP. A storm blew in about 30 minutes after sitting down. There was a large family seated next to us, and one of the kids--perhaps two years old--was having fits. Too tired, I suspect. To be honest, at first we were annoyed as this is our romantic, go-to spot. However, after a few minutes, we realized we had once had kids that age and could see the parents were doing their best to quieten the girl (each parent would leave with her then come back once calmed, e.g.). In fact, we wound up buying the parents a glass of champagne each to let them know we sympathized with their plight.

This is the Pho I mentioned above. Luv loved it, though she said it could use more broth. The mussels were succulent, the calamari tender, and the shrimp perfectly cooked.

Having lived in Alaska for four years, I'm a huge fan of halibut, but it's so easy to overcook. Not this time. My halibut was fork flaky but not dry--just enough moisture to keep its form while the crust made for a nice crunch. Underneath was grilled bok choy, a ginger-carrot risotto, and a lovely miso glaze. The best dish I've had there outside of the old buffalo tenderloin item from years ago.

Of course, no meal is complete without the famous portobello bisque. It seemed a bit less salty this time which we liked since the past few visits it appeared to have been overly salty.

Overall, this was the best AP experience we've had in the past three years or longer. Hopefully, they will keep this quality going forward. :thumbsup2

Thanks Sleepy! I also saw your review on the AP thread! I am really looking forward to our anniversary dinner! Sending champagne to the parents next to you was a very nice gesture--you probably made a very magical memorable moment for them!

Do you ever watch the show What Would You Do on ABC? A few weeks back one of the staged scenarios included a young family with a crying baby, and most people showed empathy to the parents.

Thanks again for your review!:)

Just popping in to say bon voyage to JT & family in case you haven't already left. Have an amazing trip! :dogdance:

No call for me yet for Dec. but I suspect it's still too far out. I hope they don't call while I'm in Europe. :sad1: I told DH he wasn't allowed to make any decisions without my approval! :laughing:

Received my call today about the construction for our trip Nov 30-Dec 6 in the villas on our points. I didn't 'ask' for anything, just stated which amenities i'll miss and which aspects of it don't concern me and just wish they communicated it outside of the 7 month window. She offered free memory maker but I stated I already had that so she asked if I would like a $200 spa credit which I said sure to. More important to me was some fast passes as I have read someone mentioned before. They were for 3 days, 2 FP for each of the 7 of us so it totals 42 of them. Nice in that you don't even book them, you are just free to show up whenever convenient. I didn't try and get more as she was nice and I will appreciate the fast passes. The spa credit isn't great as we will have to go to another deluxe resort to use it.

Nothing very special in the following video, just 10 minutes of listening to the villa's woods and quiet pool. Room was 1535, 1st studio down on the left. We've had this room before and I'm a bit embarrassed to say my daughter found a mismatch pair of her socks she lost under the sofa bed there from 2 years back. :rolleyes1

Adjust your volume accordingly, some of those bugs know how to make a racket! Enjoy!:daisy:

Last edited:
Bonus video, just 5 minutes of staring at the fireplace in the little sitting area over the entrance to the main lodge. My son was over in the study area on the other side of the wall charging up his phone. The lodge offers so much peace in contrast to the hustle and bustle of the parks. All these little areas are something I wish AKV, both Kidani and Jambo had more of.

Nothing very special in the following video, just 10 minutes of listening to the lodge. Room was 1535, 1st studio down on the left. We've had this room before and I'm a bit embarrassed to say my daughter found a mismatch pair or her socks she lost under the sofa bed there from 2 years back. :rolleyes1

Adjust your volume accordingly, some of those bugs know how to make a racket! Enjoy!:daisy:

We had that room the last two visits. We love it. Easy in. Easy out. Close to ice. Close to hidden springs. Beautiful view of the woods. That is where I would sit early morning and drink my coffee. Watch the trees and look for deer. One day a doe came up pretty close. Won't get the lucky again. I think the new sidewalk will be passing by very close to what we see in video. I wonder if they will put a row of privacy bushes. The sliding doors are only ten or twelve feet from the fence on right hand in the picture.

Nothing very special in the following video, just 10 minutes of listening to the villa's woods and quiet pool. Room was 1535, 1st studio down on the left. We've had this room before and I'm a bit embarrassed to say my daughter found a mismatch pair of her socks she lost under the sofa bed there from 2 years back. :rolleyes1

That is too, too funny about the socks. Twinks, we were literally steps away--we were in 1510!!

We've had this room before and I'm a bit embarrassed to say my daughter found a mismatch pair of her socks she lost under the sofa bed there from 2 years back. :rolleyes1

:rotfl: This made me laugh Twinklebug! So we know where they don't clean. But now it just occurred to me....how did they make it thru the refurb?!? Hmmmmmm, a mystery.

Yeah that is gross about the sock!!

I'd be glad to do so, Corinne. There is a new executive chef (from CG, I believe) and a new-ish menu. Best of all, there seemed to be more of a focus on quality and standards. The stand-by items are still there (salmon, some type of buffalo, portobello soup which they are now more appropriately calling a bisque, berry cobbler), but they've added a Thai Pho, a halibut, and tweaked the pork loin, filet, and pork loin dishes. According to the manager (who came by our table), the plans are to upgrade the menu the next few months while not tinkering with the favorites too much. Our service was exemplary, the food excellent, and the view as you can see, lovely. Of course, we always ask for a window seat and as we dine early, have nearly always had success. Below are some pictures.

This is a small indication of our view at AP. A storm blew in about 30 minutes after sitting down. There was a large family seated next to us, and one of the kids--perhaps two years old--was having fits. Too tired, I suspect. To be honest, at first we were annoyed as this is our romantic, go-to spot. However, after a few minutes, we realized we had once had kids that age and could see the parents were doing their best to quieten the girl (each parent would leave with her then come back once calmed, e.g.). In fact, we wound up buying the parents a glass of champagne each to let them know we sympathized with their plight.

This is the Pho I mentioned above. Luv loved it, though she said it could use more broth. The mussels were succulent, the calamari tender, and the shrimp perfectly cooked.

Having lived in Alaska for four years, I'm a huge fan of halibut, but it's so easy to overcook. Not this time. My halibut was fork flaky but not dry--just enough moisture to keep its form while the crust made for a nice crunch. Underneath was grilled bok choy, a ginger-carrot risotto, and a lovely miso glaze. The best dish I've had there outside of the old buffalo tenderloin item from years ago.

Of course, no meal is complete without the famous portobello bisque. It seemed a bit less salty this time which we liked since the past few visits it appeared to have been overly salty.

Overall, this was the best AP experience we've had in the past three years or longer. Hopefully, they will keep this quality going forward. :thumbsup2
Thanks for the review!! And I'm sure those parents appreciated your gesture of understanding!!

Sleepy . . .Great Pics of AP. DiznyDi & I had dropped AP from our "every trip APRs" list as it had become boring, and at the price, it just shouldn't be boring. Once we discovered that the Portobello Soup could be ordering in the Territory Lounge, we haven't been in AP since. But now it asounds like it is back to its old self . . I'm looking forward to trying it again! Thanks!

. . . . . . . . my daughter found a mismatch pair of her socks she lost under the sofa bed there from 2 years back. . . . . . . .

While traveling for work I staying in a nice upscale hotel, and for some reason I looked behind the coach; lo and behold, There staring back at me was a pile of chicken bones left from somebody's KFC dinner. Needless to say, I called the front desk and asked for a different room. And you all probably know how this goes . . . the next room I looked behind the coach (just couldn't not do it) . . dirty clothing was stuffed in behind. Yup, called down again and got a third room; and yes I looked knowing that they would have checked it before switching me again. I obviously never stayed there again when visiting that area. And I have changed my habits since then; don't look to close, as you will always find something that you wouldn't find at home.

We had that room the last two visits. We love it. Easy in. Easy out. Close to ice. Close to hidden springs. Beautiful view of the woods. That is where I would sit early morning and drink my coffee. Watch the trees and look for deer. One day a doe came up pretty close. Won't get the lucky again. I think the new sidewalk will be passing by very close to what we see in video. I wonder if they will put a row of privacy bushes. The sliding doors are only ten or twelve feet from the fence on right hand in the picture.
We saw a deer here too, not this visit though - had a friendly little lizard growing back his tail keep us company every day. In a different unit a bit further down there

That is too, too funny about the socks. Twinks, we were literally steps away--we were in 1510!!
I bet we came very close to crossing paths a number of times just during those first few days. :)

:rotfl: This made me laugh Twinklebug! So we know where they don't clean. But now it just occurred to me....how did they make it thru the refurb?!? Hmmmmmm, a mystery.
I pulled out a list of the rooms we stayed in and when... last year it was 1547, but the summer before it was the 1 bedroom that adjoins to this studio, and they had NOT been renovated at that time. My only thought is perhaps her socks fell in beside the washer and some kids fished them out after the renovations and were tossing them back and forth in the unit set up as a 2br. Or... they got stuck in a portal had came back when the 9 realms aligned. :teleport:

While traveling for work I staying in a nice upscale hotel, and for some reason I looked behind the coach; lo and behold, There staring back at me was a pile of chicken bones left from somebody's KFC dinner. Needless to say, I called the front desk and asked for a different room. And you all probably know how this goes . . . the next room I looked behind the coach (just couldn't not do it) . . dirty clothing was stuffed in behind. Yup, called down again and got a third room; and yes I looked knowing that they would have checked it before switching me again. I obviously never stayed there again when visiting that area. And I have changed my habits since then; don't look to close, as you will always find something that you wouldn't find at home.

Whenever I travel I have to take time to re-clean the room before I know I can settle in just because I know they will miss things. I don't go as far as to vacuum or check behind the couch... usually. Might have to change that now that I've heard your stories and have experienced the portal socks. Typically I just wipe down the surfaces and handles, wash dishes and silverware and check for the obvious. I have found clothing in a drawer and beside the washer (which I started checking for lost soaps) This trip is was just the socks and a kid's drawing in the drawer under the phone. Missing these makes sense as one had to hold the bed at a certain angle while folding it to see in and under.

I'm happy to report that that room is cleaner now than when we moved in :) and my daughter has her mismatched pair back. Hope she realizes fate wanted them to all stay together. :rotfl2:

** My daughter wanted me to add, the socks were clean and folded when we found them.

Last edited:
Well DVC membership has it's privileges!! They were saving it for you and placed it in the room prior to your arrival. What a magical place WDW is.

I believe you are correct; after all, what other company uses a street cleaner in the mornings to clean their hiking path through the woods . . . . I do love the details!

@sleepydog25 love your review of AP! We are staying at the lodge in January and I decided to book AP for our first night there. We've only dined there once before and while I liked it, it didn't stand out to me (although my BF did love that soup!). Your review makes me excited to go back.

It will be interesting to see if the moving of reservations leaks into January. I imagine marathon week, which is when I'm going, would be tough to move anyone ... only time will tell!

I pulled out a list of the rooms we stayed in and when... last year it was 1547, but the summer before it was the 1 bedroom that adjoins to this studio, and they had NOT been renovated at that time. My only thought is perhaps her socks fell in beside the washer and some kids fished them out after the renovations and were tossing them back and forth in the unit set up as a 2br. Or... they got stuck in a portal had came back when the 9 realms aligned. :teleport:

Cool - they move too! Perhaps the refurb crews felt they were a fixture that couldn't be removed. :lmao: It's all so funny! I'm happy your daughters socks are back together again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter