VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

:confused3Brett . . . .

Granny did a fine job of transportation options for VWL. But I will always recommend "The Boats".

DiznyDi & I love having a Lake Side Room (ask for an odd numbered room, that always seems to work where a request for Lake Side is often ignored) not for the view (all side are basically tree views) but so we can hear the boat horns in the morning - a call to the day! And of course there is the water parade serenade at 9:30 every night!

But the boats are our favorite! They might not be the fastest or most direct, but they offer a more relaxed way of transportation and seem to add a small respite during the day that no other transportation can offer. They generally are not crowded, and MANY times DiznyDi and I have experienced the boat to VWL from MK as a private yacht; in the middle of the day there are few if any riders! We love them. :hug:

And yes we would take the boat to the MK for the monorail to the transportation center for the monorail to Epcot; just a nice transportation option that we enjoy since we are never really ever in a hurry to get anywhere.

Sometimes as we pass by Timberline Drive we wonder why they don't make a swing into the Lodge coming from Epcot. I know the rail is on the wrong side to make the sweep, but reversing the route certainly could make that possible. Hey, maybe the Groupies could start a movement, a vision, a focus for all; get a petition campaign going - WE NEED MONORAIL ACCESS! . . . . . . . . . or not. (May just bring in the finger printers and make the our lobby crowded. oh, well . . another point in history that could have been, but just didn't) :confused3

Yep. I feel pretty good about my transportation knowledge from VWL. We generally choose the quickest option but we do take time to ride the boats b\c my kiddos do enjoy them (as do the DW and I on occasion.)

Since becoming DVC members back in 2011, we have changed our approach. We used to try and cram in as much as possible and beat ourselves into submission. We now take our time. We still do a lot of rope drop but our schedule is FAR LESS hectic. Last year our oldest DD wasn't feeling so hot around mid morning at DHS. We headed back to BLT and enjoyed just chilling at the resort. We def enjoy the niche opportunities that are presented at the resorts. Some times we hang out at Community Hall, watch the movies outside, enjoy some marshmallows over the fire, etc.

I do love the monorail. I truthfully never looked at how long the trips on the monorail took us, but I find them and the boats to be far less stressful. Being a 40 year old dad, I almost always find myself relinquishing my seat to a lady or elderly gentleman. Packing the buses like sardines can take a mental and physical toll! :crazy2:

Let me know when you get that monorail\VWL petition started. :-)

Yep. I feel pretty good about my transportation knowledge from VWL. We generally choose the quickest option but we do take time to ride the boats b\c my kiddos do enjoy them (as do the DW and I on occasion.)

Let me know when you get that monorail\VWL petition started. :-)

First and foremost Brett, :welcome:

Welcome to the group. I apologize for being late to the howdy, whew, they actually want me to do something at work these days. LOL

Now who are you evil people who want to bring the monorail to the lodge??? :faint:

I am so resistant to change with the lodge. I love the boat ride so I'm going to have to do a jedi mind trick on anyone who wants to change it. :laughing: You know the scene where luke goes to rescue Han solo from Jabba the hut and he hypnotizes the guy at the front door.

repeat after me,, You like the lodge just like it is
you never want a monorail stop there....

I'm standing by Eliza. No monorail at WL!!! Now, what WL could use is a steam train that can loop down to EPCOT and back through the outer rim of the campground, then back to WL. :D
Along these lines, I've felt AK lodge is sorely missing options, and a themed Safari vehicle (an upgraded bus in an AK wrap that also plays select loops from the jungle cruise waiting queue) would be appropriate for bringing guests to/from AK at that resort.

While we're on transportation:Here's a little bit of trivia I learned from a boat skipper: The boat crews on Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon are paid at a much higher rate than those operating on the waterways of the EPCOT resorts. Reason being is classification. At WL, our boats are considered "transportation" whereas the the EPCOT resort area where the boats are classified as "attractions" and allows Disney to pay much lower rates. Just food for thought for those who are planning on retiring to Disney and becoming a boat Skipper ;)

Last edited:
I'm going to jump the gun here a little bit and shout out an early
:cake: Happy Birthday Horselover! :cake:

May the snow be melting away and dreams of WL fill the day :)

I'm standing by Eliza. No monorail at WL!!! Now, what WL could use is a steam train that can loop down to EPCOT and back through the outer rim of the campground, then back to WL. :D . . . . . . . . .

Yeah, I'm in with that . .a STEAM TRAIN that loops from VWL to Epcot. Oh, I love it! OK, let's get that petition going . . Maybe Brett can lead the way since he is young (smile Brett; comments like that will come far and few between in the coming years). :wave:

I am "all aboard"
for a train to Epcot from WL:-)

And I second DiznyDads nomination for Brett to "get this thing rolling" All those in favor, say aye

Brett, we too were going like mad, even as owners. We bought in 2001, and our 1st trip as owners was a mess. Dec., cold, rainy and us going like mad into the parks made for a less than stellar trip. We were questioning our purchase. Then magic happened. Our next DVC trip, Tammys mom went with us, we got that 2 bedroom on the corner of VWL, we slowed down, and it hit, we realized we could slow down, soak it in, really enjoy our vacation. And we have done so since, with at least 30 trips since that time.

And I agree that we don't need a monorail whooshing in and out of our peaceful home of WL. I wouldn't mind some sort of pedestrian bridge over (or under?) the canal connecting Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon that would let us walk to CR and MK, but no idea what that would look like since the boats have to make their way through. We don't mind walking, but then again we always enjoy the boat rides to both locations.

I, too, vote for no monorail. I love my boat to MK. It's my favorite park anyway. After all, I am a princess:

I too vote for no monorail. If we need a monorail just enjoy the peaceful boat ride from WL to BLT then hop on it. But lets not disturb the peacefulness of VWL.

:bday: Happy Birthday Horselover!!! :bday:
I agree (just too lazy to do my own graphics :rolleyes1). Hope it was/is a great one!!!

Monorail vote: no. Of course, luv would tell you I'm quite resistant to change when it comes to the World, in general, and the Lodge, in particular.

<<<I agree with Sleepy that VWL transportation is pretty good,>>>>
Brett, for me, the absolute splendor of this resort makes up for the lack of "proximity" to the parks as some other resorts have. I myself own at BLT (and can REALLY say I LOVE the ability to walk 10 min from the MK to my room......and the convenience of TOWL for fireworks).....and I also own AKV which is pretty far from most parks. I wish I owned at VWL but if I add on, I would probably choose a resort that gets me the most years at this point? But who knows. If we find a nice enough contract for VWL I could see us going that direction. We love the boat ride from the WL to the MK. Just gorgeous at sunrise and sunset.

Happy birthday Julie!!! Couldn't resist to post this pic of Julie, Christopher and I taken in late January of this year when we all were lucky enough to meet up in Epcot. I snazz'd the pic up in honor of your birthday Julie!!! Happy day to ya!

Good afternoon, everyone! We're among the non-DVC lovers of the VWL and the Lodge. My wife and I visited the WL in December of 2002, a few months before the birth of our DS. We had a room at the end of one of the wings - a situation that my DW still reminds me of, since she had to make the looooong walk from the elevators while pregnant...

We've been fortunate to visit WDW often, usually annually, as we've had kids and they've grown older. We decided to skip last year, and all of us are ready to get back! We chose to stay off-site a couple of times at WBC - a nice property, and very affordable, but nothing like staying on-site. For our last visit in December 2013, I talked the family into renting a RV and staying at Fort Wilderness. The kids and I really enjoyed it - my wife, not so much...:mad:

The FW stay was our way of trying to get closer to the WL experience, both literally and figuratively. However, it just wasn't the same. During that trip, we all promised that the next time we visit WDW, we have to stay at the Wilderness Lodge again!

We're tentatively planning to visit in October, during the kids' Fall Break. We have one in 6th grade, another in 3rd, so missing school time isn't a good option for us. The timing isn't bad - early enough in October to benefit from warmer temperatures, but not so close to Halloween that crowds are too big. We've visited often in October, which we enjoy, but not quite as much as the Christmas Holiday season. We're planning to rent DVC points, but our first choice, a VWL Studio, isn't available. We're pondering other options now - a 1 BR Villa, which is very expensive for our budget, or perhaps another DVC studio or off-site. I know we need to make our accommodations plans soon. We also are spending a lot of time with my mother, who is battling a severe medical condition right now that may delay our trip.

Regardless, there is something warm and soothing about thinking of VWL, our memories there, and the possibilities of returning soon. I'll spend a lot of time on this thread over the next several days as I spend time with Mom, and will get a lot of comfort here. Thanks for letting me join the group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter