VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Hello,

I signed a contract for VWL after 5 years of thinking about it. I should have points right around the 7 months mark before our June trip. We have a family trip planned for Dec. 2016. If I reserve a 2 bedroom in January for next December and it is unknown who is going, would you suggest I get a 2 bedroom lock off? Are you able to alter the reservation later and just have the 1 bedroom or the studio? If so, how close to the reservation can you make these changes? We have December u/y. Thanks I am VERY new to this... 24 hours in fact! :)

It's a complete cancel and rebook if you wish to change room sizes and no guarantee that the sections you free up would remain available. The only safe way to be able to downsize from accommodations like a 2 BR is to book a 1 BR and studio separately. It does require more points to have that flexibility though so you have to weigh that vs the likelihood you would only need the smaller villa. And then the 1 BR and studio would most likely not be side by side although you might luck out with a room request of "traveling with xxxx".

Hello,

I signed a contract for VWL after 5 years of thinking about it. I should have points right around the 7 months mark before our June trip. We have a family trip planned for Dec. 2016. If I reserve a 2 bedroom in January for next December and it is unknown who is going, would you suggest I get a 2 bedroom lock off? Are you able to alter the reservation later and just have the 1 bedroom or the studio? If so, how close to the reservation can you make these changes? We have December u/y. Thanks I am VERY new to this... 24 hours in fact! :)

:welcome: WELCOME to the Groupies thread, and WELCOME HOME!!! :welcome:

If you reserve a 2BR lock off, it doesn't necessarily guarantee that you will be able to drop the 1BR or studio portion and get it. Once you decide to change, in Disney's system it basically cancels the reservation. If things worked they way they should, the 1BR and/or studio would immediately be gobbled up by anyone on the waitlist for a reservation. However, there are many reports that this does not typically happen. So you can do as you suggest, then call as soon as you know the firm plans.

Honestly, DVC is not great for those unable to plan at least 7 months in advance. I know when inviting others they just don't understand the need to commit but it is really important. Otherwise, you need to be prepared to either keep a 2BR without the full list of people or else move to another resort if one is available. December is the hardest month to get and waitlists are plentiful especially for VWL.

Add in to that the construction may or may not take some of the villas out of commission if they are close to the construction.

As for how long can you wait to try to change, it is possible that you might be able to work with them in the last few months leading up to your trip. I am just stressing that you shouldn't count on it, since technically no part of your original reservation should be available when you cancel.

It's one of the hard parts about this type of timeshare. People hear that you have a timeshare and they think you have a specific villa available to you and it's not a big deal if they come or not. Good luck to you in getting your guests lined up and comprehending that if they cancel on you it will cost you.

Kathy...just saw your response to the same question and I like your suggestion better! :worship:

Hi everyone! Well, when we got the call we decided to stay at our lodge and was very happy to get 6 days of parkhopper. I even received the confirmation email yesterday and added them to my MDE. I still kind of can't believe how easily they offered it. I can't imagine we will regret the decision to stay. Some people are reporting that GS is telling people they are closing the pool side of the villas. I'm not sure I believe that, but who knows!

Does that mean you received 6 days of free admission? That's an incredible compensation IMHO. Way to go! :thumbsup2

:welcome: WELCOME to the Groupies thread, and WELCOME HOME!!! :welcome:

If you reserve a 2BR lock off, it doesn't necessarily guarantee that you will be able to drop the 1BR or studio portion and get it. Once you decide to change, in Disney's system it basically cancels the reservation. If things worked they way they should, the 1BR and/or studio would immediately be gobbled up by anyone on the waitlist for a reservation. However, there are many reports that this does not typically happen. So you can do as you suggest, then call as soon as you know the firm plans.

Honestly, DVC is not great for those unable to plan at least 7 months in advance. I know when inviting others they just don't understand the need to commit but it is really important. Otherwise, you need to be prepared to either keep a 2BR without the full list of people or else move to another resort if one is available. December is the hardest month to get and waitlists are plentiful especially for VWL.

Add in to that the construction may or may not take some of the villas out of commission if they are close to the construction.

As for how long can you wait to try to change, it is possible that you might be able to work with them in the last few months leading up to your trip. I am just stressing that you shouldn't count on it, since technically no part of your original reservation should be available when you cancel.

It's one of the hard parts about this type of timeshare. People hear that you have a timeshare and they think you have a specific villa available to you and it's not a big deal if they come or not. Good luck to you in getting your guests lined up and comprehending that if they cancel on you it will cost you.

These are all good points. I wonder if getting separate units would be better especially since these particular family member cannot seem to plan one week out let alone months or even almost a year.

These are all good points. I wonder if getting separate units would be better especially since these particular family member cannot seem to plan one week out let alone months or even almost a year.

I think that's an excellent idea. Remember that if you want to cancel, you absolutely need to do it more than 30 days ahead or your points will be restricted and you could potentially lose them. A lot of that depends on your Use Year.

Welcome, pmaurer and our other new potential Groupies! We hope you'll find us to be the friendliest bunch on the DIS (true even if self-proclaimed), and I offer my congrats for your recent purchase. While there is no requirement to own points at VWL (or anywhere for that matter) to be a Groupie, certainly your new contract shows a love of the Lodge which is our only criteria. We hope you and the others will frequent us often to let us get to know you (and vice versa). Even if it's just the occasional drive-by "hi" or the like, that's fine, too. I keep the Trip Calendar on page 1 while jimmytammy (currently in the U.K. on vacation) keeps birthdays and anniversaries. If you're interested, just drop us a line. Granny and KAT have given you great advice, so I won't add anything else; however, if you have questions, please feel free to ask. Meanwhile, pull up a rocker, grab your favorite libation and a spittoon (optional), "set" a spell, and enjoy all the benefits of membership in the Groupies--downright friendly conversation to the point of being a family. :thumbsup2

Also, :cake: Happy Birthday BWV Dreamin !!! party: !!!

Welcome, pmaurer and our other new potential Groupies! We hope you'll find us to be the friendliest bunch on the DIS (true even if self-proclaimed), and I offer my congrats for your recent purchase. While there is no requirement to own points at VWL (or anywhere for that matter) to be a Groupie, certainly your new contract shows a love of the Lodge which is our only criteria. We hope you and the others will frequent us often to let us get to know you (and vice versa). Even if it's just the occasional drive-by "hi" or the like, that's fine, too. I keep the Trip Calendar on page 1 while jimmytammy (currently in the U.K. on vacation) keeps birthdays and anniversaries. If you're interested, just drop us a line. Granny and KAT have given you great advice, so I won't add anything else; however, if you have questions, please feel free to ask. Meanwhile, pull up a rocker, grab your favorite libation and a spittoon (optional), "set" a spell, and enjoy all the benefits of membership in the Groupies--downright friendly conversation to the point of being a family. :thumbsup2

Also, :cake: Happy Birthday BWV Dreamin !!! party: !!!
Thank you for the wonderful welcome! I have been a lurker for years. How do I get a WLV image in my signature?

Thank you for the wonderful welcome! I have been a lurker for years. How do I get a WLV image in my signature?
Others more proficient than me can answer, but I think all I did was copy the image from someone's signature line and then put it on my own. We do have instructions for grabbing a Moosie on Page 1, but to be honest, I don't know if it still works since the DIS upgrade several months back. Maybe you can be a beta test for us. :rolleyes1

Others more proficient than me can answer, but I think all I did was copy the image from someone's signature line and then put it on my own. We do have instructions for grabbing a Moosie on Page 1, but to be honest, I don't know if it still works since the DIS upgrade several months back. Maybe you can be a beta test for us. :rolleyes1

Pretty certain it all still works the same. :thumbsup2

Just pick the picture you wish to have in your signature pmaurer and right click to get the image location......same as getting the groupie signature and just follow the rest of the instructions that are listed for that.

ok - just looked at the instructions and see that sleepy listed the url for the groupie moose so I'll add this - once you right click on the image and copy the image location then follow the instructions of going to your user name on the right hand side of the page and selecting signature. Then click on the little image icon (looks like a 2 mountains in a box) and then paste the image location info into the box that pops up. Save it and preview your signature.

Last edited:
Welcome pmaurer74! Other groupies have given you excellent advice. And Welcome Home!

Wishing BWVDreamin' a very Happy Birthday!

Kathymford, :) Wonderful! So happy for you and your family!

If the image upload gives you any trouble, I've had the most success using links from uploaded pictures on Photobucket.

Hey, I should get a moosie for my signature as well, there is still some blank space there! Lol!

Could somebody please add me to the roll call for December 15-21... We've decided to stay put :).

If the image upload gives you any trouble, I've had the most success using links from uploaded pictures on Photobucket.

Hey, I should get a moosie for my signature as well, there is still some blank space there! Lol!

Could somebody please add me to the roll call for December 15-21... We've decided to stay put :).
You've been added! :thumbsup2

I was able to add the groupie image as my avatar this morning with no problem. I missed him! yay!

Fellow Groupies and others who might be lurking, I need some advice. We are VWL hard core, through and through. I convinced DW and DD to spend two nights in a 1BR at AKL (needed to use points or lose them). Their opinion was "meh. It is nice but is ain't the Lodge." We have not stayed at any other DVC resort.

So now I am inside the 11 month window for our June trip. Rooms are available now at VWL for next June. Shocking, I know. I am of the persuasion that this might the perfect reason (construction) to book at the Poly or GF. Thus, this is my question...... if I wait until November to book for June, what is the likelihood that studio(s) will be available at either location? If I wait until then and strike out, and then there are no rooms at VWL, well I will have a lot of splaining to do. What are your thoughts? Thanks for your input.

greg

So now I am inside the 11 month window for our June trip. Rooms are available now at VWL for next June. Shocking, I know. I am of the persuasion that this might the perfect reason (construction) to book at the Poly or GF. Thus, this is my question...... if I wait until November to book for June, what is the likelihood that studio(s) will be available at either location? If I wait until then and strike out, and then there are no rooms at VWL, well I will have a lot of splaining to do. What are your thoughts? Thanks for your input.

greg

Greg...the play here is to book VWL for the trip right now. Then at the 7 month window see what is available at Poly or GF and switch out (actually cancel and book) at that time. That way you won't be left holding the bag, or backpedaling through an explanation while you look for somewhere to hide! :duck:

For what it's worth, we have stayed at every WDW DVC resort except Poly and enjoyed each one on its own level. If you go with an open mind you may be amazed at the treasures each one has to offer. AKV is a good example of that with the unique dining (two words seldom used together at WDW) and theming.

I think VGF is challenging due to its size but I also think the high point structure there may lead to availability. It's worth a try, and if VWL is the fall back plan, that's not too bad either. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter