VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Welcome to the groupies brettcw23!!!!

I agree with Sleepy that VWL transportation is pretty good, but not quite as convenient as BWV/BC (walk to two parks) or BLT (walk/monorail to two parks). Still, we have always found the buses and boats to be about the same as most resorts as far as waiting times. I will say that getting to DAK can take a little time especially if the bus stops at Blizzard Beach.

As far as reading the entire thread...I really wouldn't recommend it. The group of 20 or so posters that have been on the thread (this is the 6th or 7th incarnation) for several years tend to spend a fair amount of time on personal asides. We are always happy to answer anyone's questions who posts on the thread, but you'd have to pick through the other stuff to find them. Better to just ask what interests you about WL/VWL and we will do our best to help.

Enjoy!

Corinne, Kati and I haven't done early in a long time. We take our time get to the park later in the morning do quite a few rides and maybe a FP, then do a late lunch at Yak & Yeti, do FP or other rides, shows and head back to the room right at closing or a little before. Works for us!

Brett, I agree with Corinne also, NO dumb questions. As others have said welcome pull up a chair, add a moosie to your signature and ask questions to your hearts content.

Thanks again for being so open with the advice and such. I def appreciate the advice to NOT read every post!

As I mentioned, we are super excited. The running joke among friends and co-workers is that if I'm not at Disney World, I'm planning for Disney World! I have an unquenchable Disney thirst and as Disney savvy as I am, I feel like a complete noob b\c we have never stayed at VWL. Everyone has made me feel better about transportation and I probably need to set my expectations and compare the situation to our stay at the All Star resorts and AKL-Kidani versus the resorts that are walking distance to the Parks.

The one thing that I am debating is when to bus and when to choose other options. Does it make sense to ferry over to CR for monorail access for EPCOT?

We are def Park hoppers and historically wrap up near our resorts. But again, I'm debating our routes. If we finish at EPCOT, are we better off going monorail to CR and boat to VWL?

We are going 10\10 Sat. - 10\17 Sat. We are still working on our plans. I'm not a big fan of the parks on the weekends due to crowds. Saturday is completely up int the air. Our flight gets in from Pittsburgh at around 9:40 am ET. So we'll prob dump our bags off and head to DTD.

We've had a good degree of success with AK on Sundays in the past, so we'll stick to that plan (probably).

The rest of the week will take place based on how our ADRs and MNSSHP tickets go.

Here are some ADRs that we're planning on:
  • Sci-Fi (lunch)
  • Garden Grill (for youngest's Bday celebration)
  • Chef Mickey's (oldest DD's Bday celebration)
  • A steak house...we haven't decided on which one yet. I was considering Yachtsman, but am less inclined since I'm generally a t-shirt and cargo shorts guy at WDW. We're willing to do a fine dining such as Artist Point b\c it's at WL and I can change for dinner and change back.
  • Whispering Canyon - we've heard good things from friends and we showed some youtube videos to the kids and they seemed intrigued.
  • Ohana - Thinking breakfast this time. We did dinner last trip and breakfast the time before.
We haven't decided on other dining options yet but we'll hone in on the specifics around Easter.

Jimmy...like you it has been way too long for us to stay at VWL. I'm thinking of doing some switching for our September trip to get some time in at VWL.

As for resorts for your MIL, VWL makes a lot of sense. The only other one that is small enough to be confident in room location near an elevator would be VGF. BCV is also small and has two sets of elevators as I recall. So that should be okay too though getting to the main resort is a little more of a walk there.

Is an ECV out of the question for her? I'm just thinking that WDW is a rough place for someone who has issues walking far and long.
Thanks for the reply Granny! Didnt take BCV into account so thanks for that as well. The proximity to 2 parks would b a big plus especially if we get a ECV. That may b a consideration.

Brett, I can vouch for DiznyDi and DiznyDad, if u get the chance to meet up, do so. We have had a few meets with them, and I can guarantee you will become fast friends. The groupies would not be the same without them. Though a few states separate us, they are friends for life to the Jimmy Tammy family along with many others here.

As for your plans, looks like you have some great ressies in mind. WCC is fun and heard recently food has got better. It's been awhile for us.

I know being at WDW makes us all want to wild and get into the parks but while at WL and VWL really take time to explore as this resort to me is so fascinating and worth the time to look at all it has to offer. Listen to the faint music, watch the lanterns flicker and listen to the crickets chirp at night. Be on watch for wildlife as deer, rabbits and occasionally an armadillo roam the trees.

Last edited:

The one thing that I am debating is when to bus and when to choose other options. Does it make sense to ferry over to CR for monorail access for EPCOT?

We are def Park hoppers and historically wrap up near our resorts. But again, I'm debating our routes. If we finish at EPCOT, are we better off going monorail to CR and boat to VWL?

Brett...your ADRs look good. And if you are looking for a fine dining experience, then Artist Point is definitely a good choice, IMHO. Take a look at their menu on line to make sure there is something that everyone will like since their menu is not what I'd call extensive.

As for transportation, if you are interested in the quickest route from VWL - EPCOT or the return, you'll find both trips to be quicker just taking the bus. With the monorail you have to switch from the MK monorail to the EPCOT monorail plus the additional wait/transportation of a boat.

If you are not in a hurry, then monorail and boat are definitely two nice ways to travel in WDW.

And as for the boat, you can either take one to CR as you mention to hop the monorail, or you can take the MK boat from Wilderness Lodge and hop on the monorail there too. The only thing about the boat from WL to CR is you have to watch which direction is it coming from. If it is coming from Fort Wilderness, then the next stop is Contemporary. If it is coming from Contemporary, then you'll have to go to FW before getting to the CR which would be a bit of a lengthy trip.

It's nice to have options on how to get around WDW. When we have a car we only use it from transportation from one resort to another since it usually involves an ADR and we don't want to allow for an hour or more in making a connection through a park or DTD.

Enjoy your planning...as Jimmy indicated, WL/VWL is a great place to wander around and enjoy the details of the resort. Things such as animal tracks imprinted into the sidewalks around the resort as if a deer had crossed while the cement was drying (which actually might have happened). :)

And I'll second Jimmy's comments...any chance to meet up with Rich & Di is worth making the time for! ::yes::

And Brett, I will second Grannys comments on transportation(meant to throw in my 2 cents worth before, sorry, old age, forgot)boat to CR and monorail to TTC then transfer to monorail to Epcot cool way to travel, but takes awhile. Bus, even though it picks up at FW too, still faster, but when you are on it, sure seems slow. We love catching boats around Bay Lake, traveling to FW or CR, as FW has great breakfast at Trails End, boat puts you real close, just a few steps away(also, a great trail about a mile in length will put you at TE too, plus horses are right at end, and you can see wildlife, esp. deer along this path, and they dont spook easy). Or CR has a few nice choices in dining, in particular, Contempo Cafe has lots of variety for QS, and The Wave is worth the boat ride over for breakfast IMO, then a short walk to MK, to make a day of it.

Sorry for all the excitement, I just get that way when I am talking WDW and my love for the Lodge:love:

So I'm working on a few ADRs for our April trip and I guess that Be Our Guest Restaurant no longer does the lunch ADRs with the special link? Of course, every lunch is sold out during our trip which is no big deal. I didn't know they discontinued the "test". Oh well. :)

Did you see that BOG is now doing breakfast? Same setup as Lunch where it's a QS and not TS but maybe there's some times for that? It's a tad pricey but then again, what isn't at BOG - or Disney for that matter! The lunch is now reserved just like any reservation which seems so weird for a QS location. :confused:

Hi Groupies, it seems these days I only get here on Saturday mornings to catch up!

Eliza and Kathy- thanks for your AK tips, I think we are definitely going to head over later in the day. Eliza, we always used to visit in August when the boys were still in school, and I know what you mean about Africa hot!! We always said that too! Loved the Skyway throwback, we always rode that and I still miss it everyone time I look up at Rapunzels tower :rolleyes1

Di- we miss you by ONE day! :( Although I dropped the ball and haven't booked airfare so I'm starting to wonder if I will have to take a second mortgage to pay for it!
Happy Belated birthday INKHAHM :bday:

Did you see that BOG is now doing breakfast? Same setup as Lunch where it's a QS and not TS but maybe there's some times for that? It's a tad pricey but then again, what isn't at BOG - or Disney for that matter! The lunch is now reserved just like any reservation which seems so weird for a QS location. :confused:
Kathy...thanks for the information. I didn't know BOG had breakfast but it makes total sense for Disney to milk as much out of that location as they can. I'll look into it. THANKS!! :)

Oh my...... You guys (JT and Granny) and way too kind! But we do enjoy meeting up with folks! :)

Yes Brett, we'll be at VWL in October; 1-16.

In regard to the ECV from the Lodge: On the busses it's not a problem. Please keep in mind that the smaller boats - of which VWL utilizes a lot- do not accommodate the ECV's. We have seen too many disappointed/angry person denied. They will call a larger boat to accommodate, but you will be waiting.......

My class is officially done. Hopefully I can get back and 'in the loop'! I've really missed you guys!

Our daughter will be accompanying me to a digi-weekend in Atlanta in July. Can you believe that the airline wants to route us thru MCO to get to Ohio? Well that simply won't do. So.... I'm working on a day or 2 in WDW. Unfortunately I'm nearly out of points :( Must get creative.....

Good to be back!
Enjoy your week-end!

OK, so I really messed up - all the excitement of being back, I guess - Brett, we'll be there Oct 11-16 :)

Corinne, really sad :(..... I can appreciate the 2nd mortgage. I am literally all out of points.....for 2015.....of which I've not received.....Dec use year.......

Got home Sunday, and told Tammy that night I was so wishing we could turn the van around and head straight back down the road South to WDW:lovestruc
I think listening to 3 or 4 of Lou Mongellos podcast didnt help the situation any. We love those as it helps to keep focused on the prize.

Right now we are in planning phase for a stay in Late Feb. We are going on a Fantasy cruise Mar. 5-12, and want to add about a week to WDW before. Tammys mom is def. cruising but trying to figure whether she wants to go to WDW with us as well. Sechem32 and Wfc4life are going as
well on cruise(its going to be a blast, DCL will never be the same after this:crutches:). So with pts. we have and as yall well know, juggling to make future trips work, I am really hoping we are finally, finally able to stay at VWL after many many years(its been way too long). The logistics are laid out in my mind. Tammys mom has issues walking far and long, so a 2 bedroom VWL makes the most sense as far as navigating the halls(I will request near elevators)and getting to the amenities(RF, WCC, Mercantile, etc.). We may head to a Braves game or 2 and she would be content hanging aroiund the resort til we get back, then head to a park, so this gives her options without walking a long way to the pool, or main Lodge. We also considered OKW, but would have to know HH is the only option, AKL, but the chance of getting near lobby risky, and BLT, but again, getting to amenities may be a chore for her.

So, my question to yall, am I missing anything on any other resorts?
JT, VGF would be an excellent choice, as well. Though it takes a couple of minutes to get to the main building, certainly an ECV would make it easy. The DVC building isn't huge, so it's not far to or from an elevator. AKL can be a haul, but there are multiple elevators and you can park near one if you get Kidani. Naturally, VWL/WL combo would be the best bet.

Finally, I third the direct from Epcot via bus (or to Epcot) as it will be faster. However, if you're not in a hurry, taking the longer method can be fun and allows you to drink in more of the Disney experience. I might add (if I haven't already), the trails from VWL to FW are hugely enjoyable. You can take the paved trail from the bus stop to FW or take the nature trail near the bike rental building and follow along the lake. After a bit, the trail diverges right, and it will hook up to the paved path after a few minutes. Enjoy your trip!

Hi all, WL is the first ever disney resort we've stayed at and DW and I favorite resort, since we became members been looking forward to staying here again. ? is their a 2bd view that's better than the others or are they all pretty much the same? Will be traveling with myself, DW, DS 10, DD 8 and DS 5. Also do all the upper levels room have a balcony? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Welcome to the groupies prune1977!!!!
Glad you love VWL, we here are sort of partial to it too :love:
To answer your questions, we stayed in a 2 bed once there in a corner room near the elevators. It was great, very roomy. It had 3 balconies. View allowed us to see the pool and lake. All 2 beds have a balcony.

Thanks for the welcome, we've stayed at several other resorts as you can see but we every time we walk into WL it's like we're home again and in amazement. Thanks for the help, that's good to know.

If I'm not mistaken, the only room in the villas without a balcony or patio would be the dedicated studio on the second floor closest to the pool. All other units have at least one sliding door and balcony/patio.

I stayed one of those corner units JT is talking about once. I loved all that space but we were on the top floor so the dormers fell over the bedroom porch and it was filled with dead bugs and spiders, and my vertigo kept me from enjoying the open air balcony. LOL. From then on I've been asking for "low floor" ;)

Hi all, WL is the first ever disney resort we've stayed at and DW and I favorite resort, since we became members been looking forward to staying here again. ? is their a 2bd view that's better than the others or are they all pretty much the same? Will be traveling with myself, DW, DS 10, DD 8 and DS 5. Also do all the upper levels room have a balcony? Thanks for your help.
Yep, they're all pretty much the same, but that's a good thing! As the others said, the corner rooms that overlook the courtyard area and the pool have unique views, but as they're are only a few of them, snagging one is a long shot. As suggested by twinklebug, the top floor (5th) has balconies but are dormer-style and enclosed, meaning you have to stand up to see over them. Anything lakeside, floors 2-4, is good and lakeside is also preferable. And, welcome aboard! Always glad to have new folks join in our merry band of Groupies!

:confused3Brett . . . .

Granny did a fine job of transportation options for VWL. But I will always recommend "The Boats".

DiznyDi & I love having a Lake Side Room (ask for an odd numbered room, that always seems to work where a request for Lake Side is often ignored) not for the view (all side are basically tree views) but so we can hear the boat horns in the morning - a call to the day! And of course there is the water parade serenade at 9:30 every night!

But the boats are our favorite! They might not be the fastest or most direct, but they offer a more relaxed way of transportation and seem to add a small respite during the day that no other transportation can offer. They generally are not crowded, and MANY times DiznyDi and I have experienced the boat to VWL from MK as a private yacht; in the middle of the day there are few if any riders! We love them. :hug:

And yes we would take the boat to the MK for the monorail to the transportation center for the monorail to Epcot; just a nice transportation option that we enjoy since we are never really ever in a hurry to get anywhere.

Sometimes as we pass by Timberline Drive we wonder why they don't make a swing into the Lodge coming from Epcot. I know the rail is on the wrong side to make the sweep, but reversing the route certainly could make that possible. Hey, maybe the Groupies could start a movement, a vision, a focus for all; get a petition campaign going - WE NEED MONORAIL ACCESS! . . . . . . . . . or not. (May just bring in the finger printers and make the our lobby crowded. oh, well . . another point in history that could have been, but just didn't) :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter