VWL/Eastern Fantasy Cruise/AKV CL all wrapped into a fabulous b-day trip - Complete

Somehow I missed the update with the ruins. If someone hadn't quoted the tree picture I wouldn't have known to go back. 20 minutes was definitely not enough time for such a fascinating place.

I'm glad you saw it :)

I didn't even have enough time to read any of the plaques, I thoroughly enjoy reading plaques.

I'm glad you saw it :)

I didn't even have enough time to read any of the plaques, I thoroughly enjoy reading plaques.

Fran and I are like that too. We don't like to visit museums with other people because they usually like to rush through the exhibits. We read everything, rent the wands to hear everything. What takes most people an hour usually takes us three or four.

Fran and I are like that too. We don't like to visit museums with other people because they usually like to rush through the exhibits. We read everything, rent the wands to hear everything. What takes most people an hour usually takes us three or four.

::yes:: I do exactly the same thing. Although I haven't heard about wands to rent, have I been missing something helpful?

Oh no, what things had you planned? Have you stopped there on other cruises?

I'm a little worried about St Johns Antigua, it's one of my stops on the transatlantic. Anything worthy to do there? I still need to do all my planning for that trip.

We did a private segway tour there that was fun a couple of years ago.. The last couple of times, we just go to the local bar and drink and get internet..

It is not one of my favorite places, and I could skip it anyday!

After exploring the sugar mill we headed back to the docks to await our ferry.

We had about 35 minutes before the ferry was due to arrive and had the options to go do some shopping or just wait for the ferry. Mom wanted to go buy some postcards she had seen earlier at the National Park building so we went and did that. And then still had about 20 minutes so went and browsed some jewelry shops. It’s good we didn’t have anymore time than that because so many things caught my eye.

There was an icecream shop that I was really inclined to stop at, but decided to wait for the icecream on the ship.

We saw the ferry waiting so went and boarded it. They left exactly on time, and I’m hoping they counted how many of us there were because it seemed emptier than when we came over. It was a lovely boat ride back and when we approached the port I was fascinated to see we were three ships deep. I wondered how we would leave.

I was trying to get pictures of our verandah. It’s the highest one on the left.

There we go

After leaving the ferry boat we decided to head right back on the Fantasy. We were both hungry and neither of us felt very inclined to explore St Thomas.

I love this photo

We talked a little about where we wanted to eat, either the Royal Court or Cabanas. We stopped at the Royal Court to see the menu and even though a few items sounded delicious I knew we would both leave hungry because there wasn’t enough to appeal to us. So we headed up to Cabanas where we knew they would have quite a spread.

These yachts were quite impressive. You can’t really tell, but the foremost one has a little boat coming out of the side.

This hallway is really pretty

I missed getting pictures of the entire buffet because I was so hungry. I didn’t even think to go back after eating, sorry guys. The offerings were quite similar to embarkation day but there were a few different items. We ended up sitting outside in the sun, it had turned into a really gorgeous day.

This is mom’s plate

And mine

Mom had this also, it was a mango salad, she said it was quite tasty.

Mom went up to get a salad and a soda for me but came back with dessert and no soda. She had asked the CM what his favorite was and he recommended this. It was supposed to be key lime flavored but it wasn’t anything special.

This beauty was the chef’s creation of the day. I went up and got one of my own it was so good. It was some sort of ooey gooey chocolate cake, it was magnificent. They also had choices of Edy’s icecream, we got vanilla toffee. We were both glad we waited until getting back to the ship for getting icecream, it hit the spot.

After lunch we went down to the room for a few hours. Mom lounged out on the verandah alternating between reading and napping. I put on the Jungle Book for background noise and caught up in the journal. Mom was content to stay out on the verandah so when the Jungle Book was finished and I was all caught up journaling I put on Hotel Transylvania. I was surprised to find some non-Disney movies in the selection. Unless it is somehow connected to Disney that I don’t know about. I got through about half of it and then we headed out to catch Oz the Great and Powerful which was the evenings show.

On the way to the theater we stopped and got some drinks at the soda station, and then bought some popcorn downstairs. It was a pretty good movie but I kept comparing it to the first movie and also to Wicked which I loved. I need to see it again and just focus on the movie itself and leave comparisons out of the equation. We stayed to watch if there were any snippets and ended up being the last people to leave the theater, they closed the doors behind us. We had about 45 minutes until dinner and even though mom hadn’t dressed for Pirate Night yet she still wanted to go to the RFR for a little bit.

It was fantastic, we had the place to ourselves again. It is even more relaxing at night, such a serene place. We sat on the heated tile loungers and watched as we left St Thomas.

We lounged for about 30 minutes and then headed back to the room so mom could dress up.

The Quiet Cove looks really pretty at night all lit up.

Up next: dinner at Enchanted Garden.

We did a private segway tour there that was fun a couple of years ago.. The last couple of times, we just go to the local bar and drink and get internet..

It is not one of my favorite places, and I could skip it anyday!

Uh oh. It's going to be the first port after five days at sea, so I'm sure I'll want to get off the ship for a little bit. Maybe an excursion they have will interest me.

You managed to get a lot packed into your day. Lunch looked delicious and the Rainforest Room looked so peaceful at night. I love the adult pool area all lit up, too.

Corinna

I love your cabin location.

I love the pictures of the different ships together. It does look pretty congested there in port. :lmao:

Lunch looks yummy.

The movie sound funs. I love Wicked, too. How can you NOT compare? Really?

Rainforest room at night - perfect!

You managed to get a lot packed into your day. Lunch looked delicious and the Rainforest Room looked so peaceful at night. I love the adult pool area all lit up, too.

Corinna

And it's not over yet, there's still Pirate Night coming up!

I'm sure now that we've seen most of the shows we'll be spending more evenings in the RFR, it feels like a different world in there at night. Not that I haven't enjoyed the shows, but I can go a little while before repeating them.

I love your cabin location.

I would love to get that cabin again, it was fantastic. I keep checking for the cruise next year just in case the person who has it cancels.

I love the pictures of the different ships together. It does look pretty congested there in port. :lmao:

I never even stopped to consider that there must be some organization when boats dock. The ship in the back must have been leaving before the rest.

Lunch looks yummy.

It was so good. Those steak fries are hands down the best I've ever had popcorn::

The movie sound funs. I love Wicked, too. How can you NOT compare? Really?

I kept saying to myself 'that's not what happened, what's going on here?' :laughing: I thought the Wicked books were just marvelous. I have yet to see the play but would really like to.

Rainforest room at night - perfect!

It was a little slice of heaven :)

Day 4: Pirate Night at the Enchanted Garden

All of our tablemates were present and accounted for this evening. We had a great meal even though there was some tension with our servers, more to come on that shortly.

Mom and I both started off with the pineapple appetizer

Fitz, our head server, was dressed to the nines

For entrees mom and I both had the seafood pasta but no seafood. It seems like we’re getting the same choices each time for Pirate Night. It was delicious as it’s been in the past. Part of me would be fine skipping Pirate Night dinner because of the menu but then again I love seeing everybody dressed up.

I happened to see a new item on the menu under the lighter fare options. It was a rib salad described as having corn, cabbage, carrots, and romaine lettuce with a baked bean dressing. Well true to form I asked Martin if I could modify it a bit and leave off the ribs and dressing. I really don’t like beans so when it was described as having a baked bean dressing I didn’t think there would be a problem if the dressing was left off, but here’s what arrived.

It was not good. I started spooning off the beans and when Karen saw me she said she’d bring me another one without beans. I hate wasting food and had to literally argue with her that I could do it myself. She was not happy. I tried to eat as much as I could but ended up giving up because everyone else had finished eating.

At some point during dinner someone brought up that the Daily Navigator said the fireworks would start at 10:30. That was all good, we had plenty of time to finish dinner and get good spots for the fireworks. Well then we overheard the waiter at the next table over tell his guests that the fireworks started at 10:15. That had our tablemates in a bit of a panic. They were worried they’d miss getting good spots and decided to skip dessert. I had told them about the dessert party that evening so they would get some desserts after the fireworks. After they had left Martin came over and saw that they were gone. Poor Martin, he must have low self esteem or something because he immediately asked if they complained and if he had done something wrong. Mom and I tried to assure him everything was fine but he was beside himself.

Of course we stayed for dessert, we knew there was plenty of time to find good seats and do not like missing dessert even if there were plenty to be had later on.

Mom had a Mickey bar

And I had a fruit crumble covered in icecream which turned out to be very good

We said our goodbyes to Martin and Karen and headed up to find spots for the show. Of course the time on the Navigator was the correct one, the show hadn’t even started when we got up there which was around 10:15.

The show was fun as usual, there’s dancing and pirates and fighting.

Mom left me for a little bit to go see the fireworks from the deck above. I saw the fireworks perfectly well from the windows. After the fireworks they had the dance party which is always lots of fun. This time the CMs mingles with the crowd so I couldn’t see how to do the dance moves, I still tried to follow along.

The DJ was supposed to be a well known guy but I wasn’t very impressed.

I saw Clayton in his fantastic get up so I raced over to grab a photo

We stayed out for a little longer and then headed to the dessert buffet around 11:15, we still had some room to squeeze some goodies in!

I got pictures of everything

These were crepes

and these were toppings for crepes and/or icecream. I didn't get a picture of the icecream because it was covered.

Loved these

We made some nachos and took them down to the room. We think this blanket animal was a turtle. Mom had missed the ending of Bedknobs and Broomsticks when we watched it earlier so we finished that while eating out nachos. They were scrumptious.

Tomorrow: Exploring Puerto Rico with mom as our tour guide.

::yes:: I do exactly the same thing. Although I haven't heard about wands to rent, have I been missing something helpful?

I've had them at a few special exhibits. They are listening devices that are activated when you get near something that has a narrative. I think they are proximity based. Back in the dark ages, they had cassette recorders that you could carry on a shoulder strap and push play when you got to the thing it described. I think the last time we got something, they were little tiny computers, you punched in the code at the exhibit and it played the narrative.

We talked a little about where we wanted to eat, either the Royal Court or Cabanas. We stopped at the Royal Court to see the menu and even though a few items sounded delicious I knew we would both leave hungry because there wasn’t enough to appeal to us. So we headed up to Cabanas where we knew they would have quite a spread.

We did the same thing on our last trip! The buffet is usually a good choice, since it's almost unlimited.

I kept saying to myself 'that's not what happened, what's going on here?' :laughing: I thought the Wicked books were just marvelous. I have yet to see the play but would really like to.

You definitely need to see the musical, it is a hoot!

Nice update, and loved the shots of your verandah!

I've had them at a few special exhibits. They are listening devices that are activated when you get near something that has a narrative. I think they are proximity based. Back in the dark ages, they had cassette recorders that you could carry on a shoulder strap and push play when you got to the thing it described. I think the last time we got something, they were little tiny computers, you punched in the code at the exhibit and it played the narrative.

I'll have to remember this. I've heard about them for outside tours but never inside museums. I can picture the old tape players, not sure if I saw them in a movie or when I was younger though.

We did the same thing on our last trip! The buffet is usually a good choice, since it's almost unlimited.

You really can't beat the choices at the buffet. There was a really delicious sounding bruschetta and some desserts at the Royal Court but I knew we'd still be hungry if we dined there.

You definitely need to see the musical, it is a hoot!

It was here in Baltimore last Fall and I had every intention of buying tickets but then time slipped away from me. It's definitely on my list of things to do.

Nice update, and loved the shots of your verandah!

FYI for anyone who's interested. The sugar mill was built between 1720-1730. It was called the Annaberg Sugar Mill.

You must see Wicked! I saw it at the hippadrome and the Kennedy center.... Ok Pam you have to do this...

The pictures all look wonderful, and you had a lot of fun... Sorry dinner was not your liking, that is always hard.

Dinner looked nice. I think I actually would have loved the salad, but then I love all kinds of beans. However, there is no pirate night on our back to back cruise. We have known for a while that their would be no Pirate Night on the Alaska cruises, but it has now been announced that their would be the Pixar Pals party that they are introducing for the Alaska cruises will already take place on the Repositioning cruise. The buffet looked amazing.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter