• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Construction, Smaller Room, or Fork Over Extra Cash?

DinahInWonderland

Mouseketeer
When my husband and I planned our last few vacations we left just enough banked and borrowed points to spend 7 nights in a 2 BR villa at the Wilderness Lodge this year. This was before all the construction was announced, now we are in a bind. We have booked a 1 BR at BLT at our 11 month window just to make sure we have our dates, but I am worried we will be slightly cramped. It will be my husband and me, our 2 energetic toddlers and my mother-in-law. We are used to the extra space of a 2 BR and I think a 1 BR will feel a bit confining.

So now we are stuck with the options of staying at BLT in the 1 BR, moving to a 2BR at WVL and dealing with the construction (which my husband would really prefer not to do), move to a 2 BR using less points at a resort like SSR or OKW (also really not an option, more of a last resort), or buying a handful of one time use points to stay in a 2BR somewhere else. Any advice? I can't seem to make up my mind....

Have you looked at AKV, they really have a lot of space and the theme is great. I usually can find a room there up to 2-3 months out. The price for AKV is the same or less than VWL.

This is our favorite resort. if my mom was more not on an ECV we would always stay here. The ECV makes using the monorail more convenient.

good luck
Judy

You don't list the timing of your trip, but there are many options of resorts with similar or fewer points than VWL. If you have enough points for a 2BR at VWL then you might consider BWV, BCV, AKV, OKW or SSR. All should be similar or less points than VWL.

I would not want to be in a 1BR with your group, even with the extra sleeping chair that BLT has. I do like AKV but it might not be convenient for afternoon naps. I think I would look at getting the one time use points to get a 2BR at BLT. Maybe cut your trip to 6 nights if it helps the point situation? I'd rather have a good 6 night trip than an iffy 7 night one.

The BLT or Kidani 1BRs would be the only 2 locations I'd even consider that group for since they both have sleeper chairs and 2 full bathrooms, but I think I'd look for a 2BR elsewhere. Where to suggest though depends on when you're going and what's available but as Granny mentioned there are quite a few locations that should be similar or less points as VWL. Also, where do you plan to spend most of your park time? And will you have a car or not? That can make a difference in convenience of certain locations although I'd be placing the larger villa size as the higher priority vs locations.

We are going the first week of Oct, the 1st to the 8th. Food and Wine means the EPCOT resorts will likely be full. We usually stay at Kidani but wanted to be closer to MK so we wouldn't have to deal with diving (parking lot to tram to monorail to park) or buses (pain with two little ones and a double stroller) to MK since that is where we will probably spend most of our time. I know there are 2BR that cost less points but I can't imagine staying at Kidani and not getting a savannah view which would be where the one time use points come in.

We are going the first week of Oct, the 1st to the 8th. Food and Wine means the EPCOT resorts will likely be full. We usually stay at Kidani but wanted to be closer to MK so we wouldn't have to deal with diving (parking lot to tram to monorail to park) or buses (pain with two little ones and a double stroller) to MK since that is where we will probably spend most of our time. I know there are 2BR that cost less points but I can't imagine staying at Kidani and not getting a savannah view which would be where the one time use points come in.

Yes, that time will make it more difficult because some of the resorts will almost certainly be booked. Do you use the kitchen and laundry? With 2 young one's I'd expect so but another option could be PVB - get 2 studios and make the request for connecting. That seems to be a request that comes as close to guaranteed as possible without actually being guaranteed. AFAIK they are supposed to be done with the pool construction there by that time....at least I think so.

To add to why I threw out the PVB suggestion - you'll be on the monorail for MK and also the DVC rooms are close to TTC so you can walk over and get the monorail to Epcot or take the boat to MK. Also, it would give a real second bed for your MIL and you'd have 2 sofa beds and 2 murphy beds as options for the little ones. So a few more sleeping options vs the 1BR but no kitchen/laundry in the room beyond the kitchenettes. I did not check on how the point requirements look though.

Thanks Kat, I will look into that as an option. We do use the laundry and kitchen, but I cant say i would be sorry to have an excuse not to while on vacation :rolleyes1 You also just sparked the idea of a split stay in my head. We might be able to swing a studio or 1 BR somewhere like SS or OKW for the first night since we usually arrive a bit later depending on driving conditions and then move to a 2 BR elae where for the remainder.

Were it me, I'd stay with the original plan of a 2BR at VWL if you can get it. The things that have changed due to construction: no Hidden Springs pool, no bike/boat rental building, no sandy nature path trail, and no beach. The construction generally holds to a schedule that assumes most people are out of their room in parks relatively early and not back to their rooms until late afternoon. Otherwise, it's just a behind-the-fence construction zone. The things that won't be changed due to construction: the lobbies in the main Lodge and VWL building, the paved trail to FW, the music, the flickering lights, the restaurants, the geyser, the main pool (already renovated), and the boats to CR, MK, and FW. Honestly, as a couple of posters here know about me, I am NOT a fan of the changes that appear to be in store for VWL, but even I will admit that the actual construction itself likely won't be an issue other than not having access to the things I mentioned above. Then again, we are generally up early and don't get back to the room until after 5 p.m. If this still won't work for you, then the others have given you good options to explore. Good luck!

BCV has all dates still available. I know they may go fast once it opens to 7 month window, but you could be hopeful. If you really want a great pool I would stay there.

Were it me, I'd stay with the original plan of a 2BR at VWL if you can get it. The things that have changed due to construction: no Hidden Springs pool, no bike/boat rental building, no sandy nature path trail, and no beach. The construction generally holds to a schedule that assumes most people are out of their room in parks relatively early and not back to their rooms until late afternoon. Otherwise, it's just a behind-the-fence construction zone. The things that won't be changed due to construction: the lobbies in the main Lodge and VWL building, the paved trail to FW, the music, the flickering lights, the restaurants, the geyser, the main pool (already renovated), and the boats to CR, MK, and FW. Honestly, as a couple of posters here know about me, I am NOT a fan of the changes that appear to be in store for VWL, but even I will admit that the actual construction itself likely won't be an issue other than not having access to the things I mentioned above. Then again, we are generally up early and don't get back to the room until after 5 p.m. If this still won't work for you, then the others have given you good options to explore. Good luck!

I'm still strongly considering staying at VWL. We are also an up early, out until late family so I'm not worried about noise as much as being stuck looking at a construction zone for a week if we get a lake facing room. :scared: My son would probably love it, my husband and me not so much! We don't use many of the resort amenities so we wouldn't be missing the bike rentals, the beach, or even the quiet pool to be honest.

I agree with sleepy dog - stick with the original plan. We spent a few days at WL mid January. Had a room on the side not facing the lake. Spent some time in parks, some at lodge, some at campground. The only thing we missed was the quiet pool, as it's such a long walk to the main pool. The construction area didn't bother us a bit.

I'm still strongly considering staying at VWL. We are also an up early, out until late family so I'm not worried about noise as much as being stuck looking at a construction zone for a week if we get a lake facing room. :scared: My son would probably love it, my husband and me not so much! We don't use many of the resort amenities so we wouldn't be missing the bike rentals, the beach, or even the quiet pool to be honest.
On a page devoted to DVC-related things on another social media forum, I've seen a couple of pictures and posts from folks staying at VWL. Both said the construction didn't bother them, and one of them actually said (and verified with a pic) the view to the lake was superb and allowed them a great view of EWP at night. When we go in Feb, I know the sight of mass work will sadden me a bit given my love for the once-natural serenity VWL espoused; however, I don't expect the work to be a major issue in and of itself. As ganban suggests and you, as well, if you're busy during the day, I don't think the construction will affect you much. Good luck with your decision! :thumbsup2

Thanks to everyone for your input. I've shown all of your advice to my husband and after unsuccessfully trying to convince him we wouldn't need to cook or clean at PVB :rolleyes1 we've decided to take our chances and stick with the original plan to switch to VWL. From what you've reported and what I've found elsewhere online it seems like the impact will be minimal and the lack of guests may even make the resort more enjoyable than it was before!

We were there 2 weeks ago in a studio. I wasn't bothered by the construction at all. Request a room not facing Bay Lake and you should be fine. The quiet pool would be nice but not a huge deal. I would stick to a 2 br with the in law over the 1 br at BLT and the sleeper chair.

I would also pick the VWL, the convenience is great, the main resort is so compact and convenient. Also, we stayed at the BCV during Food and Wine a few years ago and it was rough. That whole area is really congested so the buses took forever and honestly Food and Wine was a bit tough to enjoy because my little guy was still in a stroller and I was shocked by how many people there were on scooters who had possibly had too much to drink! Even though stormalong bay is awesome, I wouldn't stay in the EPCOT area with small kids during food and wine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter