• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

vrbo

One other thing to keep in mind is that the owner can cancel on you at the last minute. I had that happen to me last fall. I rented a home where my daughter's wedding was being held. Actually, I rented two for our family. I rented both a year before the wedding and for one home I had to pay the entire amount up front. Two weeks before the wedding the owner of the home I paid for up front refunded my money and sent a message saying that her family decided to use the house that weekend!
We've never used vrbo, but DW's cousin has stopped using them for that reason. She says the owners cancel because they found someone willing to pay more than they contracted to rent for -- and they cancel. That actually happened to them just last week -- the owner canceled 3 DAYS prior to their arrival.

She has also gotten stuck for the vrbo booking fees several times on those cancellations, including the most recent.

We've never used vrbo, but DW's cousin has stopped using them for that reason. She says the owners cancel because they found someone willing to pay more than they contracted to rent for -- and they cancel. That actually happened to them just last week -- the owner canceled 3 DAYS prior to their arrival.

She has also gotten stuck for the vrbo booking fees several times on those cancellations, including the most recent.

I didn't get stuck with any fees. I contacted VRBO because of their "vacation guaranty" where they say they'll help find you another property, but there was really nothing they could do because there weren't any rentals available that were close by. Closest they could get us was about an hour away, and we live an hour away so that wasn't any help. I will say the resort was wonderful. I ended up needing one room for two night and one room for one night. They had a room for the one night and they started reaching out to other resorts/hotels/motels in the town. While they were doing that they had a cancelation so we ended up with both rooms there, plus the other house I rented. If some of our family hadn't decided not to come our fallback was to house some of the family in the resort town and some at our house and just drive back and forth.

We have another VRBO (our third) rental coming up in September and I JUST got an email that the owner cancelled our stay because they are pulling their home off VRBO. Of course we got a full refund and an apology from the management company (who offered another property but it was woefully inadequate for our needs). I found another one that is actually better...bigger...more amenities...closer to the place we need....and cheaper!

If you booked a house on VRBO, when do you get the access code to enter the home? I can't find any info and my sister is down there right now with 2 kids and luggage. Grocery delivery about to arrive and not code. Checkin is 4pm.

If you booked a house on VRBO, when do you get the access code to enter the home? I can't find any info and my sister is down there right now with 2 kids and luggage. Grocery delivery about to arrive and not code. Checkin is 4pm.
Who made the booking? They should have some kind of contact information.

ETA: The one time we did VRBO, we got the access code (last four digits of our phone number) after we made the final payment, about two months before our stay.

It depends. I only rent from owners that use management companies, but usually they will send it to you after final payment, or, if they like to frequently change codes, they tend to use a lockbox, in which case they give you the code for the lockbox and put the door code inside.
Some properties do require that you visit the mgmt office during business hours to sign the damage deposit paperwork and will give you the code then.

We got our information in an email either the night before or the morning if for a 3 pm move in.

I got the code a few weeks before our last stay via email...but it was wrong. I went into our VRBO account and found there was a different code listed in the info there.

Thank you everyone. She got to the house without the access code. In the meantime, I was able to get the INTERNATIONAL contact number from VRBO. They never got the reservation so the house was not clean. They waited in the garage as it was taken care of. I am just happy that they still took care of her.

I’ve come to the conclusion that vrbo is for naive people, suckers, or repeat customers who enjoy being s(p)it upon.

I was naive (or a sucker) and rented through vrbo 5 years ago. After paying I noticed the exact same condo on a local real estate agent’s website for about $500 less than vrbo for the following week. Just like a prior poster mentioned.

And a friend had their vrbo rental canceled by the owner about 4 days before they were due to arrive. They received a rent and Host Fee’s refund, but not for the sky high vrbo Service Fee. Vrbo offered to help find alternative accommodations, but nothing suitable was available. My friends ended up doing a staycation with a few day trips.

As someone else mentioned, the lower rent costs show up in more searches, then you’re socked with ridiculous fees.

Lesson learned.

Here’s an example of ridiculous Host Fees on a vrbo for a beachfront condo unit in Ocean City, MD for the week of September 18-25. Almost 1/3 above the so-called rent.
And the grand total is over 50% more. Gotcha!!!

The header for this listing boasts “Linens Included!” and then charges for them. We bring our own linens to beach rentals.

I’m not paying a fee for having a concierge there. If I use his/her services for more than a question or two I’d tip them.

Damage waiver is fine in lieu of a security deposit.

i think the Administrative Fee, Reservation, and Booking are what the owner has to pay vrbo.

There is already a high vrbo Service Fee.

Most of the Host Fees are the costs of doing business. You don’t make your customers pay for them. Either raise the rent to cover those costs or eliminate them.

Listing such fees makes the owner a greedy butthole.

just for giggles I decided to look on LBI. My parents’ vacation home was in Beach Haven West on the mainland. I like the old Victorians in Beach Haven.

My son, DIL and DIL's parents are in the process of buying a home here - Beach Haven West. :) - any comments/feedback/tips? Thank you!!!!

Going bak to VRBO/AirBnB - never rented from them. Always browsed. Fees do add up. Always afraid place won't like like pictures and always afraid of being scammed :guilty:

As usual, we end up booking a hotel - which we also did for our recent Rehoboth Beach stay.

My son, DIL and DIL's parents are in the process of buying a home here - Beach Haven West. :) - any comments/feedback/tips? Thank you!!!!

Going bak to VRBO/AirBnB - never rented from them. Always browsed. Fees do add up. Always afraid place won't like like pictures and always afraid of being scammed :guilty:

As usual, we end up booking a hotel - which we also did for our recent Rehoboth Beach stay.
We’re just packing up to leave our first ever VRBO accommodation. I didn’t want to stay here in the first place (full disclosure) but our travelling companion insisted, of course based on very skillfully manipulated photography and a carefully crafted but not totally forthcoming description. For many reasons I was shocked when I arrived. I’ll never agree to anything like this again.

We’re just packing up to leave our first ever VRBO accommodation. I didn’t want to stay here in the first place (full disclosure) but our travelling companion insisted, of course based on very skillfully manipulated photography and a carefully crafted but not totally forthcoming description. For many reasons I was shocked when I arrived. I’ll never agree to anything like this again.

Do tell - does not sound good. Even though I know there are plenty of satisfied customers. Not sure if I am willing to fine out anytime soon.

Same with reviews on Yelp, TripAdvisor, etc. There are always negatives and positive. It's up to ourselves to be willing to take a risk.

Now if someone/friend/family had a very good experience with a specific house/condo......that might tempt me.

Always read the entire listing before booking. Read all the terms, the fees, the cancellation policuy. NOt every rental charges the same fees. The house we rebooked for our upcoming stay at the beach (after the original was cancelled by the owner) was $200/night more expensive than our original booking...but the fees were way way less. Enough so, that the final price of the new booking was only $50 more than the original booking!

I have also rented from owners directly at a price much cheaper than what the listing is on VRBO.

Don't forget to check on AirBNB as well.

Here’s an example of ridiculous Host Fees on a vrbo for a beachfront condo unit in Ocean City, MD for the week of September 18-25. Almost 1/3 above the so-called rent.
And the grand total is over 50% more. Gotcha!!!

View attachment 602290

The header for this listing boasts “Linens Included!” and then charges for them. We bring our own linens to beach rentals.

I’m not paying a fee for having a concierge there. If I use his/her services for more than a question or two I’d tip them.

Damage waiver is fine in lieu of a security deposit.

i think the Administrative Fee, Reservation, and Booking are what the owner has to pay vrbo.

There is already a high vrbo Service Fee.

Most of the Host Fees are the costs of doing business. You don’t make your customers pay for them. Either raise the rent to cover those costs or eliminate them.

Listing such fees makes the owner a greedy butthole.
Yes, they pull you in with low per night rates, then tack on fees. However, those fees are disclosed before you book. Anyone who books then complains about the fees has no one to blame but themselves. Ignore the "per night" rate and look at total cost. Then decide if it's worth it. This is like the "low cost" airlines. Their ticket price is low. But, oh, you want to add bags? Here's a fee. You want to select your seat? Here's a fee. You want us to print a boarding pass? Here's a fee. You want a snack, here's a fee. etc, etc.

We've done one VRBO, and for a larger (five at the time) travelling party, the cost and amenities were better than a hotel room. I won't automatically go VRBO over a hotel, but I'll definitely look. And yes, I look at ALL of the fees.

I pretended to be a owner who might be interested in listing my property

Vrbo tells owners they will send professional photographers to their properties to present them in the best manner, i,e. manipulate. And they have a team of creative fiction writers for the descriptions.

From what I understand, vrbo is often a hassle for landlords too. High listing fees for starters, then multiple other charges, sometimes reducing payments based on a renter’s nitpicking complaint, etc.

My beef with vrbo isn’t really the method of pricing practices. (Low rent to hook you then numerous additional fees.) It’s that often the exact same properties can be found elsewhere for lower prices, sometimes much lower.

You’re paying for a fancy website and supposed 24/7 customer service availability.

I'd love to know what you were shocked about. Don't leave us hanging!

I've stayed at many VRBO/AirBNB. I'm very picky and read everything/look at all the pictures before I make a final decision. I've even compared prices for the same rental between companies. I've rented homes in Texas, Missouri, New Mexico, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Tennessee and Arkansas. While some experiences have been better than others, none were bad and all worth at least a four star out of five, many were a five.

I pretended to be a owner who might be interested in listing my property

Vrbo tells owners they will send professional photographers to their properties to present them in the best manner, i,e. manipulate. And they have a team of creative fiction writers for the descriptions.

From what I understand, vrbo is often a hassle for landlords too. High listing fees for starters, then multiple other charges, sometimes reducing payments based on a renter’s nitpicking complaint, etc.

Do you also get worked up over real estate estate listings with their "professional photography" and "creative fiction writers" lol?

Honestly one of the best tools is to read the reviews on VRBO.

You, the consumer, have to do your research.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter