VP Shunt Replacement and Disney

Livi'sMom

Mouseketeer
So my little girl just had a shunt replacement on 9/15 and we arrive at Disney on 10/1. The surgeon has ok'd it but I have to admit to being a little nervous. We've never had shunt issues at Disney and I'm a little concerned this time.

Our adopted and foster children have had many shunt replacements and revisions over the years. These surgeries are so individual to the child and to the surgery itself it would be hard to advise. I would respect the surgeons advice and, unless you have reason to know there are problems, go ahead with your trip. If a problem arises the Arnold Palmer Childrens' Hospital is in Orlando and can help. You have 2 1/2 weeks from surgery to trip, so that should give you time to observe the child. If you have some experience with her sunt symptoms and/or if she is on some sort of monitor, that should help pretrip and during trip observations.

I agree with the previous poster.
If you have the surgeon's OK, I would say to go for it.

In case she has any problems, make sure you have contact information with you for your doctor. I have heard very good things about Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital, so in case any problems do develop, you would be in good hands.

If your surgeon says its okay then I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm 26 years old and have had 2 dozen VP shunt relplacement/fixes. It usually takes me a day or two to get used to the shunt (I'm usually kind of walking around like a drunk even though I'm not). I use to worry about it but my neurosurgeon explained that its just my new shunt getting used to my body.

I would just keep an eye on her and ask her how she is feeling every now and again. I know some rides at Disney World I can't ride because it gives me the feeling of lots of pressure on my head which winds up making me feel like crud. (Reason I can't and won't ride Mission Space).

If she gets tired or what not go back to the resort and take a break and then tackle the park later on in the day. I would just take her lead. If she wants to do something then do it. If after she does it she doesn't feel that great (I've had it happen before. I get all excited do a ride and then the ride just messes with my head and I have to take a breather.) then maybe find somewhere to sit and just take a few minutes.

She'll let you know how she's doing and sometimes you may even be able to tell if she's getting worn down (my mom always could).

If you have any more questions or thoughts you can PM me. I've lived with a VP shunt since I was 2.

She's had a shunt since birth and I'm usually really comfortable about reading her. I just keep looking at all those stitches on her head and belly and wonder if we're doing the right thing.... but she would be heartbroken if we needed to postpone. We're definitely going and we always do go at her pace in the parks. She has CP too and we know that commando touring isn't an option.

She packed herself yesterday. Toothbrush, underwear, socks, 2 pair of shorts, 1 shirt and 100 silly bands. LOL I asked her where the rest of her clothes were and she figured we could just buy some new ones down there. She's outgrown all of her Disney stuff anyway! :rotfl2:

Hi,

I agree with everyone, go with the surgeron's thoughts. Also keep an eye on her!

My DD has had a shunt since birth. She was born in 1993. She has had revisions and infections. In 2007 she had to have it replaced and became very ill. She was in ICU for 3 months with alot of medical issues!!!! Currently she has a VA shunt. I was very worried about her being shunted to the heart! Now I never think of it! Unless something is a miss with her.

Have a great trip!:wizard:

She's had a shunt since birth and I'm usually really comfortable about reading her. I just keep looking at all those stitches on her head and belly and wonder if we're doing the right thing.... but she would be heartbroken if we needed to postpone. We're definitely going and we always do go at her pace in the parks. She has CP too and we know that commando touring isn't an option.

She packed herself yesterday. Toothbrush, underwear, socks, 2 pair of shorts, 1 shirt and 100 silly bands. LOL I asked her where the rest of her clothes were and she figured we could just buy some new ones down there. She's outgrown all of her Disney stuff anyway! :rotfl2:

What type of stitches did they use? I know in all of the surgeries I've ever had the stitches in my head were dissolvable and only a few had to be removed. The stitches in my stomach were the kind they had to take out.

I also have CP and know all about the not being able to do the commando style of going to the parks. Now, that I have a blood clot in my left leg I'm in a wheelchair (blood clot + CP = sucks) when we go to the parks. I am fine in every day life but I can't walk long distances in theme parks. So in that regard my wheelchair is a lifesaver.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

They used non-dissolvable ones in her belly and on her head. We get those out the day before we leave. I know there are dissolvable ones inside her head.

My husband says I worry too much. LOL

They used non-dissolvable ones in her belly and on her head. We get those out the day before we leave. I know there are dissolvable ones inside her head.

My husband says I worry too much. LOL

No, you don't worry to much. Its just part of being a mom. My mom used to worry to every time I went through that surgery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter