• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Voyage of The Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast-Live on Stage?

Beauty and Beast is like a Broadway show with drop sets in an open bright theater.
Little Mermaid is more a mix of puppets, back screens, theater effects with a couple humans in a dark grotto.

Hard to say since I've seen each a bazillion times and long for the day they are both replaced ... I think it just depends on which appeals to you more.

I personally like the Little Mermaid better. To me, it felt like too much was cut out of Beauty and the Beast and I never enjoy it. But I like the theater and effects they're able to do with the Little Mermaid. Plus, it's air conditioned! So that's the one we choose to do every trip.

We prefer Beauty and the Beast because the singing hasn't been great in the Little Mermaid show the 4-5 times we've seen it. That said, I would choose both of I had the option.

I'd try to see both, as with all the changes at DS now, who knows how long they will be around. They are both treasures of classic WDW to me - actual actors singing, etc, not a ride full of special effects. Actual, talented people make or break each show.

Def. try for both. Note that Mermaid is an indoor attraction, Beast is outdoors.

Thanks everyone! I didn't really know much about them besides one is indoors & one outdoors. I wasn't aware that Little Mermaid was run continuously so that will make it easier to fit in it my plans & most likely be able to do both in the short time I'll be in HS.

Is Beauty and the Beast like the FoW at AK or Fantasmic seating where you can bring drinks or snacks in or is that not allowed?

Voyage of the little mermaid in years past was one of the best produced shows at disney. having 2 girls, we have been to this show more times than I can count. It has not changed, AT ALL, since it opened in the 90's. But even for a 20+ year old show, it is still pretty cool. Even for boys.

BATB stage show is a condensed musical version of Beauty and The Beast. They hit the 4 or 5 major songs from the movie. But the show itself does not have the technical accomplishments that Mermaid has.

Really, both shows stand or fall on the strength of their lead actors. A good Belle and Gaston make BATB a good show. Band ones make it a bad musical. Same for mermaid.

I haven't seen either. Any opinions?

You can easily do both! Mermaid runs all day, and is a shorter show, it's easy to squeeze in.

Otherwise, BatB wins, hands down, it's a full scale theatrical production, obvs it's cut down for times sake, but there's living singing, dancing, everything, and it's one of my favorite shows!! Voyage on the other hand is meh, it's got puppetry, two songs, a few clips of the movie, and it just leaves me wanting more.

We like Mermaid better but that might be because we like the movie better than BATB. But both shows are really good though

my 4 year old daughter and the adults thought the beauty and the beast show was far superior. didn't think all that much of the Little mermaid and it's quite forgettable

I would make it a priority to do both. Who's knows if they will survive the changes in DHS, and given that chance. I would work both in. They are worth the time they take, and both are good representations of their movie.

I wouldn't be able to choose, but if forced, I would pick Little Mermaid to get out of the sun with A/C.

The Little Mermaid is my favorite movie, but I don't think much of the show. I thought Beauty and the Beast was much better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter