Vow Renewal on the Double Dipping Western Magic 11/14 - TR (Updated 3/14)

Wow. It's been a whirlwind since boarding the Magic (week on board, spent a week at WDW, thanksgiving and then getting ready for xmas). This is the start of my official first TR!

Usually we have our house and outside done up the day after Thanksgiving, but since we would be away, my DH insisted on getting the tree up before we left so that we'd have it up when we return. So on 11/12 we got our tree up.
DSC01506.jpg

Our trip officially started on Friday 11/13. We wanted the kids to go to school half day, before we took off so that they would get marked attending (we were taking them out of school for officially 7 days). Here are the kids bursting with excitement while waiting to board the bus that morning.
DSC01514.jpg

DSC01515.jpg

We left Atlanta at 1pm, down 75 and finally to the Florida Turnpike, darn we forgot to get a sunpass again! We did pick on up at 7:05pm, at the rest stop on the Florida Turnpike, but it was too late to call to activate it. Oh well, we'll have to remember to do that before we return home. We drove past the exit to go to WDW, so we have an hour right?? It's suppose to only be an hour from WDW. But man, that was a long hour ride on the Beachline Expwy. In the dark, you see nothing, there are no lights, no towns. Quite creepy. We went over on bridge, we definitely must be getting closer. And finally we did arrive at the Radisson around 9pm. Checkin was a breeze. They told us our room was all the way round back on the 3rd floor? or 2nd floor? It was the top floor. Unfortunately there were no elevators in that building, but in the one next to it. And after some winding, small outside hallways we found our room. It was a small, updated room. We did not get a suite. We finally got the kids down into bed (which we liked the pillows, blankets and linens - for a motel).
DSC01522.jpg

But you know how it goes, both the kids, DH and I were thinking and feeling "I'm too excited to sleep".

11/14 - Saturday

We're boarding our first Disney Cruise ever today! We all woke up our normal time around 6:30am. We got showered and dressed in the first our matching shirts! The kids were bouncing off the wall, so we walked over to the main building for breakfast. I think we were the second ones there. The breakfast buffet was not bad for a free breakfast (we got 2 adult vouchers with our room, my DD (5) was also free, but we did pay for our son). There was the scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, danishes, cereal, bagels. We had orange juice and coffee. We were surprised that they were also making omlettes to order and waffles too. The staff there were super nice. Someone actually asked how long my DH had been working for DCL? My DH was surprised, but then realized our shirts had "Tom's" DCL name tags. So he explained that we made them.
DSC01528.jpg

We finished breakfast pretty quickly, by 8am. Our shuttle wasn't scheduled until 10:30 am (which were to arrive by 10am back to the front desk). So we went back to the room. Andy put the luggage tags on. We had 3 large suitcases to check in, a small carryon (which held swimsuits, things to keep the kids entertained when we were waiting to board, and my CPAP), and my laptop backpack.
DSC01523.jpg

DSC01525.jpg

Then we had to wait..... All of us, including myself were bouncing off the walls.
DSC01529.jpg

So the kids started on some of the school work we brought along. We had scissors, glue, pencils, crayons, markers and lined paper. We were all set weren't we? (Note we forgot a pencil sharpener. We did get one on board in one of the stationary sets).

It was great meeting you and your family on this cruise. My mom & I also enjoyed the time we spent with you and your daughter during lunch the first day at Castaway Cay.

Just found your TR. sounds like you had a great time...can't wait to hear more! It's been 4 years since our VR on the Wonder and lots have changed! We had a choice of Cadillac Lounge or Deck 7, Deck 7 was our first choice with the lounge as a backup in case of rain. CC was not an option then!

I can relate to bouncing off the walls and being too excited to sleep! I still feel that way today! 65 more days until our next Wonder cruise!

We created a scrap book for all our memories and its a good thing we did because after almost 5 years it's hard to remember everything!

I love the Disney luggage. I bet you can find it quickly at the baggage claim!

Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Happy Holidays to you and your family...

It was great meeting you and your family on this cruise. My mom & I also enjoyed the time we spent with you and your daughter during lunch the first day at Castaway Cay.

Us too! We enjoyed running into the two of you throughout our cruise. I was just looking at pictures from our meet and saw your picture. :)

Just found your TR. sounds like you had a great time...can't wait to hear more! It's been 4 years since our VR on the Wonder and lots have changed! We had a choice of Cadillac Lounge or Deck 7, Deck 7 was our first choice with the lounge as a backup in case of rain. CC was not an option then!

I can relate to bouncing off the walls and being too excited to sleep! I still feel that way today! 65 more days until our next Wonder cruise!

We created a scrap book for all our memories and its a good thing we did because after almost 5 years it's hard to remember everything!

I love the Disney luggage. I bet you can find it quickly at the baggage claim!

Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Happy Holidays to you and your family...

Your VR / pictures was one of the first ones I read! That's why I'm writing this and hoping it helps someone else too!

11/14/09 - cont.

We arrived in the lobby of the Radisson with plenty of time to spare. (Oh I forgot to mention that apparently they told us to park in the way back lot, which we had done anyway. This is important to note, because when we came back on the shuttle, they dropped us off in that lot, so we were real close to our car.) And although our reservation was for 10:30, they put us on a shuttle at like 10am. I was originally all nervous about the bags being in a cart behind the shuttle, but it was quite easy. For those that are wondering... make sure you have your luggage tags on the luggage, bring your luggage to outside the lobby main entrance, they will then start to call out names. The driver will tell you which shuttle to get on. The driver also helps take your luggage and load it into the cart behind the shuttle. The drive to port is like literally 5 minutes? It was quick. When we arrived at port, the driver takes out the luggage and puts it on the curb. The porters there give a little information, basically they will take your bags in and it will be delivered to your cabins, but keep important documents and such with you. Also they are only paid by tips (which I did not know). So then they took our luggage. And we walked in with our carryon and backpack. There is a first check point (outside, as soon as you walk past the loading area) to make sure we are on the cruise (so you need your cruise docs). Then we walked towards the terminal and it was a little confusing, maybe because of the construction, because there were 2 entrances and people inside the terminal were kinda crammed in together while we waited for a security check. Ok so finally we made it in and boy we were earlier than expected. Probably around 10:30. We got in line for new cruisers. Actually there was no line, we walked right up to the desk (we got our boarding number 7 as we got to the queue area). We checked in, they verified our information from our cruise documents, checked our passports, and printed out our 4 KTTW cards (with no pictures). After we checked in we went to another queue to get our pictures taken for id purposes. Note, no pictures are actually on the cards, but in the system. So whenever you reboard the boat later and they scan the card, they verify it against the picture. Okay that was done. Now we waited on another queue for the kids club. We met another disboard family while waiting (I think it was Steven) and his family. We then got our pager. We were able to identify our disboard members by our logo shirts. Kinda cool. :cool1: Phew! Alright I think that's it for the official stuff! We can now go find elderfam and get our beautiful lanyards and enjoy the terminal.

We met elderfam and got out awesome lanyards by the tv's. Then right around there we met disboard members sandiegosusie (san diego susie, not sandi gosusie :) ) and woobie. We started talking to woobie's father in law then and continued to talk to him throughout the cruise since we sat the table next to them. Now it was a waiting game until our boarding number got called. Here are some pictures:

Our first view of the ship from the shuttle
DSC01530.jpg

Usual terminal pictures plus christmas decorations!!
DSC01536.jpg

DSC01549.jpg

DSC01539.jpg

DSC01531.jpg

DSC01540.jpg

DSC01538.jpg

This is the start of a great trip report. We were just a few doors down from your cabin on this trip. We had such a great time. I'm glad your VR was great. Barbara:goodvibes

This is the start of a great trip report. We were just a few doors down from your cabin on this trip. We had such a great time. I'm glad your VR was great. Barbara:goodvibes
You look like you had a great group. You know, for lunch on boarding day at Parrot Cay, we were the couple next to you with the "ring", and we also saw some of your party at POFQ after the cruise at checkin :)
I'm joining and love it so far!

Great start to your TR.:thumbsup2 Can't wait to read more and see more from your VR.:cool1:

Thanks for joining me!

11/14/09 - cont.

I forgot to mention that were suppose to meet our VR onboard coordinator at the terminal (per our email from Brie), but at the terminal we were told that we were going to meet her onboard.

So our story continues:

Our boarding number was finally called and we were ready! As per my previous discussions with my DH, we'd go to Guest services first and get Tea with Wendy and then lunch at Parrot Cay. I was a little nutso, thinking of all the "things" I wanted to do based on reading the Disboards. I needed to make sure we weren't weighted down for our embarkation photos, I wanted to videotape our boarding (and when they called our name), I wanted to take pictures, I wanted to do lunch at Parrot Cay, I wanted to sign up for Tea with Wendy. Geesh I was going nutso. Luckily I did have my Palo reservations done, Spa done, and excursions thought of. Ok here we go!
IMG_0001.jpg

Boy, that was great walking onboard the first time. It was really kinda cool when they announced your name. As soon as we boarded, a Cast Member came up to us (and walked with us), welcomed us onboard, told us about lunch options, asked if we had questions. I really like this, because I had said, I was kinda overwhelmed and she helped calm me down a little. Yeah, the Christmas decorations were up. The lobby did seem smaller in person, than all the pictures and video we've seen of it. My DH and the kids waited on the chairs, while I got in line for my Tea tickets. I waited a little, not too bad. Maybe it's a little obvious, but I hadn't thought of it. Tea is on At Sea days at 3pm. Unfortunately, we had Spa reservations for our first at sea day for 3:30, and our Vow Renewal was 4:30 on our second at sea day. Hmmm, what to do? I booked for the first at sea day and kept the spa reservation for now. Yeh!! That was done, onto lunch! We got to Parrot Cay, we were given sanitizing wipes, which we really appreciated. It was also a constant at EVERY dining venue during the week. Note that if you didn't take it, the CM would kinda called you out and almost insist that you take one. This was great! We are hand sanitizer crazy with bottles on our backpacks, purses, waistbelt, car... Here is a quick pictures of the buffet and the cute chocolate piano on top of the buffet.
DSC01553.jpg

DSC01554.jpg

The food was good. The kids buffet was actually at a separate table at the end of the main buffet line. There was a CM that asked what you wanted and gave it to you. I don't remember everything on it, but there was Mac A Cheese, Chicken and Pasta. Which is what my kids had. We were definitely glad to be onboard, sitting down and having lunch.
DSC01555.jpg

After lunch we were close to 1:30 so we went to wait for our rooms. We met fivepin (judy) and her DH and boys while waiting. They were only a couple doors down from us. Yeah! We get to go to our rooms. When we entered, we found, our baskets from Shirley, an envelope / letter from our onboard Wedding Coordinator, our excursion tickets, our dining tickets and our navigator.
DSC01559.jpg

DSC01572.jpg

DSC01562.jpg

DSC01566.jpg

DSC01565.jpg

To our surprise when we checked the door, 1 of our luggage arrived. Cool! The kids opened their baskets, I unpacked a little, checked out the bathrooms. Now it was time for our Dismeet in the Promenade. There were lots of folks, we met lots of our disboard friends there. Denise (hypermommy) and Linda (lindababe) took the initiative to start. Elderfam also talked.
DSC01577.jpg

Someone made and gave our going away streamers to the kids. I'm sorry, I forgot who did it. But they were awesome! The kids had a blast with them. We then went around to find a place to take a group photo, tried the theater, but we were kicked out so we settled on the foward staircase. Does anyone have a picture to share? Afterwards, we went back to the room to get ready for our Muster Drill. Kids were a little nervous about the whole thing. The rest of our luggage arrived! So I continued to unpack, decorate the door and then onto our drill in Animator's Palate (through the back door, cool!).
DSC01599.jpg

DSC01603.jpg

DSC01605.jpg

Next up Castaway Party!

The ship was pretty, the weather real nice, but it was friendly folks like you that helped make it a great cruise. We are really enjoying your TR/photos, and look forward to more.

PS: Thanks for including a pic of me in your TR. I'm the fool w/ the hat sitting behind Hypermommy.

Really enjoying your trip report so far .... love all the T-shirts you have made ... they are stunning :thumbsup2
Looking forward to reading all about your vow renewal and the rest of your trip.

I was a little nutso, thinking of all the "things" I wanted to do based on reading the Disboards. I needed to make sure we weren't weighted down for our embarkation photos, I wanted to videotape our boarding (and when they called our name), I wanted to take pictures, I wanted to do lunch at Parrot Cay, I wanted to sign up for Tea with Wendy. Geesh I was going nutso.

I remember being the same way! I just wanted everything to go smoothly and be perfect! :rolleyes1

Great job so far!

Alright!! We are on our way! It's time for the Sailaway Party! We went the closest staircase (aft) but it there was totally a ton of people! So we walked from deck 2 to deck 9. Phew! I was out of breathe. But luckily this was the only time we had to do that. We were able to take the elevators the rest of the week when we went up to deck 9. Anyway. We arrived at Goofy's pool. Much to my surprise it was relatively empty. I thought it would be packed. We saw Judy and her family up there too! We had Clayton as our Cruise Director. I was just slightly disappointed, I have heard so much about and seen video and pictures of Brent. But it was cool. We didn't much get to see Clayton during our trip. The "When you wish upon a star" horn blew! We are leaving port. Since it was our first time, the deck party was fun.
DSC01613.jpg

DSC01619.jpg

DSC01608.jpg

After the party, we went up to deck 10 and watched as we came out of port. It was a beautiful afternoon.
DSC01623.jpg

We explored the ship a little bit before we had to get ready for dinner. Now, I'm use to WDW, where if you see a character walking bye, you can only wave hi, they don't stop to take pictures or anything. Well when we saw Goofy coming, we waved, but the CM was like, does anyone have a camera? Cool! Goofy stopped and took pictures with the kids.
DSC01581.jpg

We checked out the Club and Lab. Dakota was excited that they had Cup Stackers (it's weird, he really loves doing that. We have a set at home.
DSC01593.jpg

DSC01590.jpg

Now it was time to get ready for the "famed" dining. We couldn't wait to meet our servers. We have heard so much about the dining and service onboard DCL. We loved our assistant server, Griselle. And frankly our server was unmemorable. We actually don't even remember his name. We arrived in Parrot Cay. Before the cruise a bunch of us from our thread, linked our reservations together so that we could dine together (in the same area). So in and around our section, we saw folks we knew. woobie and her family sat next to us. We also saw around us Hypermommy / KingCharming, sandiegosusie, fivepin. It was alot of fun knowing people around us. When we arrived at the table, we saw this
DSC01626.jpg

Griselle, our assistant server, was totally awesome and friendly. Dakota had chicken nuggets and the first of a weeklong mickey bar for dessert.
DSC01629.jpg

And I had a trio for dessert :)
DSC01631.jpg

We were exhausted after dinner. We did not make it to anything that night. We finished unpacking watched channel 263, which our family loved all week. It was Pixar movies every 2 hours. We love Pixar! Anyway we went to bed. It was Castaway Cay tomorrow yeah!!

Great trip report. I cannot wait to hear all about the vow renewl ceremony. My parents renewed their vows on the Magic in 2008, and it was magical. I love those red shirts. Your family looks great in them. That dessert trio looks yummy. I cannot wait to try it, but I have a long wait. We do not sail until this December. Keep it up, and I look forward to reading more!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter