• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Volunteering questions

Chickp

Mouseketeer
Hi there,

My sister-in-law and I have run several Disney events but are taking a break in 2016, and wondered about volunteering. We are both flexible about dates and know it will be hard work, no problem, but we wondered when it opens for registration, how quickly it fills up, and what our chances would be of getting some kind of a volunteering slot for the Marathon weekend next year. Just thinking about going ahead and making reservations just in case and all that.

Thanks so much.

I'm not sure when it opened up for this year's marathon weekend, but it looks like I signed up on 11/22/14. Marathon was already on waitlist status (and I didn't get called in from the waitlist), but there were many expo spots and 5K spots and I believe Half spots (but I was participating in that). The expo had many spots, since there are so many people working there and so many days of it.

As for hard work, it's mainly just EARLY work. And it can be COLD work. It started at 37 degrees when I checked in at 3am at Epcot for the 5K shift, and then it dropped a couple degrees. Cold cold cold. I was put at the very last water/powerade station, after the runners get their medals, so we had a long period of time to wait *after setting up the tables with the drinks*. Yep, we got to take the bottles of out of their big packing containers and fill them, then heave the boxes of not-yet-used drinks under the tables. Constant refilling once they were 15 minutes into the 5K (and the first finishers came through). VERY VERY fulfilling work. :)

Not sure how it was for other positions. We did get windbreakers, which was a very good thing because it was so cold. Other positions, or combinations of positions, have benefits like that.

http://www.rundisney.com/volunteer/ has basic info. It's being silly and saying that THIS year's marathon weekend signups are open. Obviously that's not true. :) I'd check back in the Fall, or give them a call to ask about when it will open up.

Thank you! I will call them at some point, because it looks like the earliest you can sign up is maybe September. If there are some spots a available for whatever, I will go ahead and make reservations because we're open to whatever shift we get. we are from north georgia so it's been way colder here, but good to know.

FWIW, I just got an email that Expedition Everest volunteering opens March 13th. Hope that gives you a decent timeframe for when the January run's volunteer dates might open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter