Volunteering at the Disney Half Marathon 2014

DLandgirlie

Mouseketeer
Hi Disboard,:wave2:
******So originally I posted this in the Half Marathon Thread, but I wanted it to be easily searchable for those interested in volunteering so I decided to make it into a thread.*******

I volunteered at the Disneyland 1/2 Marathon, my first volunteer experience at the race events. I thought I would share my experience bc when I was looking up info on volunteering at Disneyland there was hardly any, lots on WDW though.
So my shifts: I chose the Wed-PM EXPO Prep and Sat-PM Expo

I'll start with Wed-PM Expo Prep 5pm-9pm
I was so exited the whole day anticipating what the cast members would have us do...:hyper: what exactly does Prep mean??? am I setting up tables, booths, signs etc?:confused: my worst fear... or are we organizing pamplets, packets etc??
I arrived at roughly 4:30pm walking from the Mickey and Friends Parking structure to the Disneyland Hotel. Sign-up is on the lower level (where Registration occurs). We signed in, handed our uniform tshirt and were greeted and then taken up to the Expo area. There were tables with loads of 3 designs of Tshirts (per table) ranging from XS-S-M-XL-XXL-3X, men on one side women on the other. So a total of 12 tables, we were instructed to break into groups of 5 and place 1 of each design of tshirt in a plastic bag along with a shot block and set of pins. Ok easy enough...we chose our tables and the party began...we had a lil under 4 hours to complete over 6,000 bags:eek: We formed an assembly line and got started...was it ever going to end? yes but not until around 8:40 pm gah! But that's not all folks, after tshirt packing we had to assemble shot block and pin bags for people who were only running one race. So I limped out:crutches: around 9ish.
Snacks that shift: candy (snickers/twix and such) chocolate covered raisins, chips (bbq, original lays and doritos) and water...blah the candy ran out before I took a break :mad: so I munched on the chips to keep my energy up popcorn:: because I didnt eat dinner before my shift:worried:.
Shift 2 Sat-PM 11:30pm-5:00pm
This day I was well rested and fully prepared to be working hard since my experience on Wed...:sad2: lol Again we signed up on the lower level of the Expo. I arrived early again and was greeted with a delicious sight popcorn::a mini sandwich buffet! Now, after Wednesday, I was prepared and ate Breakfast BEFORE my shift this time. So I asked, and they said the food will be available during your break. So I said whew, and sat down while earlier shift volunteers loaded their plates with food for their break. About 10 minutes later a lead volunteer announces that the 12pm volunteers need to enjoy lunch NOW as the food will not be available after 2pm :scared1: Poor me, already full from breakfast goes to the buffet table. Can I just say yum! I prepared a roast beef sandwich on Pumpernickel bread with horseradish sauce, lettuce, tomato and swiss cheese. Side of pickles, olives, chips and three cookies (oatmeal, sugar and chocolate chip) and an apple with water :rolleyes1 Look, after Wednesday I was pleasantly surprised by this "light snack" Disney was offering us but do not worry I packed up half my sandwich, chips and cookies and apple for later to eat during my break lol I ended up taking the cookies home,It was delicious though :woohoo:
So after a leisurely lunch I started to wonder would be actually volunteering today? We broke into groups where the first group distributes tshirts at the Expo 2nd floor and the second group does registration. They were full in tshirt distribution and in registration (too many volunteers) so I took over another volunteer who was leaving their shift at registration. Didn't start volunteering until around 1pm ish. Registration was a lot of fun and less physically demanding. My arms were sore from Wed foldin' and packin' tshirts all evening:laundy: :faint: We finished around 4pm checked our books and signed out. Upon signing out we received a Certificate of Completion and a Disneyland ticket!!:dance3::wizard:
Overall, I truly enjoyed volunteering!!!! Met some nice volunteers and runners at the Expo, of course Disney strives to make any experience fun and it was! It was fun working for the Mouse and hopefully I can participate again! Hope everyone's races were magical :cloud9:

Thank you for volunteering! :cheer2: There were so many amazing volunteers that weekend. I appreciated it as I know so many others did as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter