• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Volunteer John and the Contemporary Journey! Chapter 13 1/13 - FINAL THOUGHTS / COMPLETE

HI! Joining in. I'm enjoying your report.

Thanks, and I appreciate you reading!

That's a nice tip about walking to the Contemporary from MK for the monorail, have to remember that for next time.

It's a pleasant walk for sure!

That's so funny about Joe Biden crashing your vaca. :laughing:

Good thing he isn't running for president. Pretty sure I could convince anyone not to vote for him due to this trip report :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Looking forward to hearing about Ohana. We've never been but it's a must for our upcoming trip.

It's my favorite, looking forward to writing about it!

I guess going from m the GF to POP before leaving is kinda like weening yourself off vacation .... and als an excuse to drown your "sorrows" in a La Cava margarita (my favorite EPCOT snack ;) )

That's a good way to look at it. ;)

My family loves POP, but after staying at the Wilderness Lodge a couple of years ago and then Royal Pacific Resort the past two trips to Orlando, it was hard to even book CBR for our most recent trip (I know, snob :))

I would love to stay at Royal Pacific someday!

I love the feel of hotels vs motels and you can't beat relaxing on your balcony at the end of the day.

Yeah, I am more inclined to go value on a short weekend trip but if it's a trip longer then a week, we really enjoy being in the Deluxe's.

Great report!

Thank you for reading!

I see you've learnt the lesson that your never go deluxe then value, you always go the other way round if doing both in one trip so you're never disappointed :cutie:

Yeah, in a perfect world that's how I would have planned it :) But for me it was one more day at a value or not one at all, since it was a last second add on. I prefer the third option: never leaving the deluxe resort and Disney footing the bill :thumbsup2

So I've been on hiatus for a bit, moving and the holidays, but I'm back and all caught up! Hope you had a great holiday!

"I met Mickey, Mr. John!" the three year old exclaimed.
So cute! Their pure unadulterated joy at Disney is so magical!

It was Joe Biden. AGAIN :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
Of course it was! He was probably following you.

:crazy2:

The drawing classes at Animation Academy was one of my favorite things to do at MGM. I was so sad to hear they went away. I hope that they come back in some capacity at WDW although I am not holding my breath.
I'm sad this is going away too. It's one of my favorite things to do.

I hope Disney finds a place again for the lights in the future.
I'm so bummed I never got a chance to see them in person! I'm hoping they send them over my way! Maybe DCA, they'd be a perfect fit here!

I woke up the next morning with severe Disney depression, because I was checking out of my once-in-a-lifetime room and I was set to check into ....Pop Century. :rotfl: Pop is great but I wasn't excited about visiting today!
Yeah, that's kinda hard to move from GF to Pop. But at least you got to live the dream...if only for a few days!

So I've been on hiatus for a bit, moving and the holidays, but I'm back and all caught up! Hope you had a great holiday!

I definitely know the feeling! I need to get back on track and wrap this report up (I think I have three more chapters to write). Your trip is coming up ... how exciting!

So cute! Their pure unadulterated joy at Disney is so magical!

This is one of the things you miss on solo or adults only trips :)

Of course it was! He was probably following you.

He needed to get out of my way!

:eek::scratchin

I'm sad this is going away too. It's one of my favorite things to do.
ou

Yeah, but you always have it in DCA. For now. Hopefully you didn't move far away from Disneyland/Orange County :thumbsup2

Yeah, that's kinda hard to move from GF to Pop. But at least you got to live the dream...if only for a few days!

One day in Pop at WDW beats going home that's for sure!

Hi everyone! I've neglected this report unfortunately during the holiday and New Year (I also think I'm very behind on others TR's), but now I am back and ready for updates. I have about 3 to 5 more chapters planned to write, which I would LOVE to be done with this week. Life has been hectic lately, and it's probably going to get more hectic over the course of the next few weeks (which is a good thing :)). Anyways, on with the report!

CHAPTER 11: OHANA MEANS FAMILY

I woke up from my "nap" at Pop and it was getting time to request an Uber to head over to Polynesian Village for our Ohana dinner. I walked to the check in area to meet my driver.

OH - I forgot to mention I was in the 90's section in the Pac Man rooms. It was fine for the one night; I don't remember if I considered it a "long walk" or not!

upload_2016-1-11_10-11-41.png

Pop to Poly

This was my first time to visit the "re imagined" Polynesian.

We actually didn't need to wait on a table (we were having an early dinner - 5pmish).

Ohana has a special place in my heart. This was the first table service that I ever ate at back in 2006, which set the bar pretty high for other table services. That trip was also with the same family, although parents weren't there and babies clearly weren't there either. We had another friend meet us from Tampa and were seated at a table with a clear view of Wishes! Also, for my 30th birthday trip, Mom and I were eating here and then we were seated at the exact same table for Wishes! Really, I've tried to make Ohana a part of every trip since the first time; but those are the very special memories. :cloud9:

I'm a red blooded carnivore, so unlimited meats make me very happy. The combination of steak, shrimp, and chicken keeps me happy. Usually the servers are also willing to cut off a piece that is more on the rare side (for steak, not the others) if your preference is more on the red side. The sides are all tasty as well which include chicken wings, noodles, great salad, pork stickers, and something else I'm sure that I'm forgetting.

Oh, and how could I forget this (well, if I had two or more it would be pretty easy to forget this :rotfl2::rotfl:):

:drinking1 :drinking1 LAPU LAPU! Not Nanu Nanu (RIP Robin), lapu lapu! I'm usually not a fruity drink guy (being from Tennessee my concoction of choice is usually Jack Daniels mixed with coke but really anything) but it's a strong pineapple drink with Bacardi 151. Plus, it's literally in a hollowed out Pineapple. :thumbsup2 Is it the most economical alcohol-to-dollar drink? Of course not, but ...

25152461.jpg

So, the three year old boy on the trip was eating with us and he keep eyeing his dad and my Lapu Lapu. He kept asking for a drink, dad obviously said no. He kept asking, dad kept saying no. I chime in with, "You don't want to drink this, it tastes like veggies" thinking that would convince him he didn't want it (I was right). So about ten minutes, someone asks my friend how strong the drink was and he says, "it definitely burns." At this point, the three year old chimes in, "IT BURNS LIKE VEGGIES!!!!"

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Everyone at the table got a kick out of that. Kids are so funny.

The main course was great per usual, and the bread pudding at the end was another treat as always. My apologizes for lack of pictures.

At this point, the "young adults" decide to head to the Magic Kingdom for the evening while the grandparents went back with the little ones.

We walked into the Magic Kingdom without much of a plan (actually one of the adults had his DSLR so he was taking pictures for his travel agency) so we wandered around the hub. The castle lighting show was about to start, so we decided to check it out.

SPOILER ALERT: Elsa lit the tree and all the parents felt the money in their pockets slowly fade away. :goodvibes

After the castle froze on a balmy 80 degree night in central Florida, we decided it was cruise time.

I am not the biggest fan of Jingle Cruise. The couple of times I've ridden it, I feel like the Christmas jokes leave very little room for "ad libbing." I've always enjoyed Jungle Cruise more at night during the day, because I feel like the skippers are more animated (maybe they are going crazy) and they go off script a bit (or at least to jokes you don't hear on the tour each time). Side note: I am so excited to try Skipper Canteen, the new Jungle Cruise restaurant at Magic Kingdom! The reviews have been good, and as soon as I can get an ADR for my next trip (or two :rolleyes1) I'm going to try!

Cliff Notes: Night Jungle Cruise > Day Jungle Cruise > Jingle Cruise

I had a dream, so I walked this way

and apparently we went to Haunted Mansion, because I have no notes of this and I have this picture :rotfl2:

What can be said about Haunted Mansion that hasn't already been said? I love this classic ride, and I try to find something new with every ride. Haunted Mansion Holiday at Disneyland is also pretty incredible (at least to this Nightmare before Christmas fan). :thumbsup2

According to my notes we did Pirates, and they did not come alive and eat us (bonus points for those who know where that reference is from). PotC had been recently refurbished and it looked and ran great.

Time to visit the Briar Patch!

I was in the back, not sure about something, but the lady on the second row was completely sure about her love for this ride. :hyper:

We decided to head back towards the front of the park and watch CtM and Wishes ... because when you can watch Wishes for four nights in a row - you have to do it.

We settled in to a spot, I looked back and saw a shorter lady behind me (I am 6'0 so above average height). I moved to the side, where I could still see fine, and she was so grateful. "I wish more people were as considerate as you." I told her it was my pleasure and we chatted a bit more. It was a nice moment.

insertHeartEyedEmojiHere.jpg or :lovestruc

I was exhausted at this point, but Space Mountain was calling our name. Like it always does.

zzzzzzz....

After that ride, it was closing time so everyone is leaving. I said goodbye to my friends that were catching the Monorail back to GF (sniff sniff :worried:) and I looked at the endless lines for monorails, boats, and buses that come with leaving right at closing of Magic Kingdom (I need to go back to the "last guest out" policy). My choices were stand at the bus stop and wait ... or grab an Uber at the Contemporary.

I'm sure you can guess by now (SPOILER: Thread title) I again walked to the Contemporary, waited on an Uber, and had a nice man drive me back to Pop.

upload_2016-1-11_11-6-9.png

This ride was a little more expensive because of the busy time (and a missed turn which I could dispute but I really liked the driver), but it sure was nice to be able to sit in a non crowded car with my personal driver taking me home. :lovestruc

Arrived at Pop, decided to not set my alarm and see what happens in the morning. It was departure day but I had a few hours in the park to hit highlights.

UP NEXT: DEPARTURE DAY :(

Thanks for reading!

I hope your busy schedule in the next few weeks means the interview that made you change your schedule was a success!

LOVE Ohana! I was amused that the side you missed were the veggies, lol! I need to have a lapu lapu one day. I was wondering if there were a lot of surges using Uber...the only thing I would be worried about with using them. The lady on Splash you mentioned would be me in someone's photo... :) I have never rode Jungle Cruise at night and have only rode Splash once during the day. Would comment some more but typing with two fingers "buddy tapped" is a but of a struggle (heck, I can't type with out this, but now, good grief!)

I hope your busy schedule in the next few weeks means the interview that made you change your schedule was a success!

Unfortunately not, but it's a better opportunity. :)

LOVE Ohana! I was amused that the side you missed were the veggies, lol!

Of course I forgot the veggies! I love them too!

Would comment some more but typing with two fingers "buddy tapped" is a but of a struggle (heck, I can't type with out this, but now, good grief!)

Hope your finger heals well!

Oh, and how could I forget this (well, if I had two or more it would be pretty easy to forget this :rotfl2::rotfl:):

:drinking1 :drinking1 LAPU LAPU! Not Nanu Nanu (RIP Robin), lapu lapu! I'm usually not a fruity drink guy (being from Tennessee my concoction of choice is usually Jack Daniels mixed with coke but really anything) but it's a strong pineapple drink with Bacardi 151. Plus, it's literally in a hollowed out Pineapple. :thumbsup2 Is it the most economical alcohol-to-dollar drink? Of course not, but ...

Alcohol in a pineapple?

anigif_enhanced-1231-1438622891-2.gif

So, the three year old boy on the trip was eating with us and he keep eyeing his dad and my Lapu Lapu. He kept asking for a drink, dad obviously said no. He kept asking, dad kept saying no. I chime in with, "You don't want to drink this, it tastes like veggies" thinking that would convince him he didn't want it (I was right). So about ten minutes, someone asks my friend how strong the drink was and he says, "it definitely burns." At this point, the three year old chimes in, "IT BURNS LIKE VEGGIES!!!!"

Laughing-Meme-Gif-07.gif

Cliff Notes: Night Jungle Cruise > Day Jungle Cruise > Jingle Cruise

GIF-Agree-I-agree-Have-to-agree-GIF.gif

We settled in to a spot, I looked back and saw a shorter lady behind me (I am 6'0 so above average height). I moved to the side, where I could still see fine, and she was so grateful. "I wish more people were as considerate as you." I told her it was my pleasure and we chatted a bit more. It was a nice moment.

Look at you giving someone pixie dust on their vacation!

tumblr_n4d5k2GHpW1twvjqbo1_500.gif

CHAPTER TWELVE: THE LAST DAY

Today was my last day, as well as my friends. I was very tired at this point, so I decided not to set my alarm. I'm was up by 9AM, and I gathered everything to drop of at Baggage Claim to pick up later (I do not check a bag). I had been in constantly contact with my friends, and one of them was feeling very sick. They told me they are going to solider on at Magic Kingdom with the kids, but I knew I probably wouldn't spend a lot of time with them today. I still had a six pack of Coke Zero's I didn't even touch, so I left them in the fridge for the next family/mousekeeping. :)

I left my room for the last time...

Roger was just around the corner from my room!

Once my bags were dropped off, I boarded the bus to MK and got to the park at 11am. don't think I got to the park until at least 11:00 AM.

Getting to MK at 11AM? oh, the humanity!

422299939_6c43481b21.jpg

I walked down main street and first decided to take some pictures around the hub... but what's this?

Apparently filming for the Christmas parade started today. There was some group there named the Descendants? Kids of the bad guys? Clearly not my generation!

bc53f192d0f9fe59296785611a23305915c79d540808916e10dad16405ecbe4e.jpg

I fell in love with the new hub this trip, it reminded me a lot of Tokyo Disneyland. Magic Kingdom definitely needed the extra room.

After this, I visited the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. I made it on the big screen (as I always do). Maybe I was the four eyed monster? I can't remember. I don't think I was the Churro's guy this time. Side Note: I always get put on the screen, but I haven't been "that guy" yet. However, I always mentally prepare myself for it. :)

Buzz was next, and unfortunately my skills were not honed yet this trip so no Galactic Hero - but I'd get another chance later.

At this point, I heard from my friends and they were at Dumbo (mom was riding with the babies, dad was in the bathroom :( ). I met up with them one last time, said goodbye and got hugs, and I could tell my friend was not feeling well. I was not jealous of them flying that afternoon with a sick dad, and two toddlers.

I was beginning to get hungry, so I thought I would at least try a walk up to Be Our Guest for lunch. I checked and the Cast Member told me it would be a two hour wait. LOL, that wasn't happening. So I went to Columbia Harbor House.

Noms? It was good, not great.

After this, visited Philharmagic. LOVE this 3D show - probably my favorite.

Then, Splash.

working on my princess wave

Space

eat your heart out, ladies.

People Mover (my first ride of the trip - surprising).

Buzz

Chillin, bc

Galactic Hero!

aaaand for my last attraction of the trip, Space again.

Dashing.

I started walking down Main Street, but I wasn't quite ready to leave yet. So I stopped in the candy store, and picked up a Sorcerer Mickey candy apple. A Cast Member was kind enough to slice it for me, and I enjoyed the treat on a bench outside of Tony's. It was a nice moment to slow down, enjoy a treat, and people watch. I saw people's faces light up as they turned the corner and saw Cinderella's Castle for the first time, I smelted the buttered popcorn (piped in or real), and I saw sad faces leaving the park which I assumed were people leaving to go home as I was that day. As we all know, these are the little things that we all cherish in the parks and it was a very fitting end of my trip. I spent most of the time riding back to POP counting my blessings.

Once back to POP, I changed clothes (didn't want to stink for the other passengers) and visited the gift shop. I picked my mother up a pair of Anna and Elsa Christmas ornaments that were also bells. I usually get her a snow globe with the year on it, but at some point they became too expensive (I can be a bit stubborn :)); so I decided to buy Christmas ornaments instead. Fun side note: I've also decided to pick up Christmas ornaments for souvenirs for my travels as opposed to anything I may or may not ever use again.

I picked up my bags, and boarded the Tragical Express. Breezed through security (thanks, Global Entry/TSA Pre check), and made my way to the United Club (I had a pass to use the lounge). I ate some light snacks and drank a beer, then boarded my flight to CLT (Charlotte).

Then, it was interesting flight time.

I love kids. They are wonderful. However, I do not love it when kids are loud and parents are ignoring them. I certainly didn't know the situation, but this little boy was very loud the whole flight asking his dad the same two questions: every 15 seconds for the whole two hour flight. :confused3 A lot of people on the flight were groaning very loud, whispering nasty things, but I just did my best to tune it out. Again, I didn't know the situation and I know sometimes parents can't do anything when little ones are being disruptive.

That being said, once I got settled at my CLT gate I made a purchase on Amazon that was long overdue - I bought some noise canceling headphones! Too bad they were cheap and horrible and broke on me in Peru, but Amazon took them back for a full refund. I then splurged over Christmas and bought some Bose headphones and they have been fantastic. Me in flights now :music:

I boarded my quiet flight home to Nashville, had a friend drive me home and that ends my trip. I went to bed dreaming about Peru (which is where I was headed in a little over a weeks time, and my next WDW trip) :cloud9:

UP NEXT: Final thoughts!

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: FINAL THOUGHTS

I decided to take a break from my Making a Murderer binge and wrap up this trip report. There may not be any rhyme or reason here, but here we go.

First, thank you all for reading and taking a genuine interest in my trip report and my writings. I never thought a few people would want to read about my trips, let alone get 100 replies in a thread. And thanks for sticking through with the numerous grammar and spelling errors ... maybe next report I'll proof read a little bit more. :goodvibes

I look back on this trip with lots of wonderful memories. All my trips are special in their own ways, but to be there with close friends and their family (including the toddlers) will be something I cherish forever.

In fact, I had dinner with my friend the other day and him and his three year old had this conversation:

Friend: "I'm going to dinner and a movie with Mr. John and my other friends."
Son: "From Mickey's house?"
Friend: "Yeah, from Mickey's house. Do you want to say hello to him or tell him anything?"
Son: "Tell him .... (he thinks).... Mickey's house."
Friend: "OK bud, I'll send him that message."

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

OK, let's put together some bullet points of random thoughts and cut out the mushy dumbo jumbo:

• This has been posted on the site recently, but I honestly do not think there is a "slow" season anymore. I would classify it more as "not as busy", "busy", "OMG why are you here (xmas through new years)". That being said ...
  • Viewing Wishes was a much more pleasant experience then it has been in my past few trips. I think the hub expansion as well as routing the crowds through the "not so backstage anymore" area has done wonders for the bottleneck.
  • Uber and the Shuttle combined cost me less than $100 IIRC, which would have been cheaper (or near the same upfront cost) as a rental car. And that's not taking into account gas, tolls, parking, and time spent. Sometimes it will make sense to rent a car, but I see those situations being few and far between now (especially as a solo traveler).
  • I didn't get a chance to visit Trader Sam's (which would have been great seeing how I was on the monorail for some of the trip), but maybe next time. :)
  • I will really miss the Osborne Lights.
  • Downtown Disney (Disney Springs) is a mess right now, but it's not as big of a mess as it has been. This is second hand info, I didn't make it on this trip. Hopefully next time. :)
  • I think MGM (Hollywood) Studios (Adventure) is going to be hurting over the next few years ... but the end result will worth the wait.
  • I'm really excited about Animal Kingdom expanding into a full blown "full day" park, even if I am not a fan of Avatar.
  • I love Universal Studios and I don't plan on going to Orlando without stopping by (especially when I still have an annual pass). King Kong opens this summer, so hopefully I'll be back to plan a trip in September for Halloween Horror Nights.
  • I can't wait to dine at the Skipper Canteen.
  • Why haven't I moved to Central Florida?
  • Nothing else needs to be said about my room at the Grand. :) Maybe one day I'll be able to make it back.
  • Remember when I had that job interview which made me shuffle around my trip? It didn't work out, but that's life. :)
So what's next for me? Life is pretty crazy right now with numerous things, but I will have at least one more trip to report on this year (that's tentatively in May). I've enjoyed writing this reports so much, I plan on keep writing about them as long as people are willing to read. It makes me wonder if I should get into blogging as a hobby.

Oh, and if I win the Powerball tonight I'll throw a big party at my place in Golden Oak. :rotfl::dancer::beach:

If I can think of anything I've missed, I'll add more.

Thanks again for reading, and see you real soon!

John

Thanks for sharing John! I enjoyed it. I was so happy to wake up and see that someone from TN had one the powerball lottery...unfortunately it was not me, so I am still hoping that it was someone that loves me one it , LOL, although I know no one in that part of TN. :)

Take a trip at the end of Oct, beginning of Nov...I am scheduled to be down there then.

Thanks for the great trip report John

You're very welcome, thank you for reading!

can't wait to hear all about your next adventures!

Stay tuned :thumbsup2 I will more then likely post a link to my next adventure in my trip report threads since I do not think I will have time to write a pre trip report.

Thanks for sharing John! I enjoyed it. I was so happy to wake up and see that someone from TN had one the powerball lottery...unfortunately it was not me, so I am still hoping that it was someone that loves me one it , LOL, although I know no one in that part of TN. :)

Thank you for reading! I don't know anyone from Mumford either unfortunately :( Maybe I'll win the next one :goodvibes

Take a trip at the end of Oct, beginning of Nov...I am scheduled to be down there then.

I'll see what I can do!

According to my notes we did Pirates, and they did not come alive and eat us (bonus points for those who know where that reference is from).
I would guess either a reference to the new mermaids or the Kingdom Keepers book series.
Great trip report. Thanks so much.

Finally got caught up. Really enjoyed your trip report. It looked like you had a great time.

I think the King Kong expansion at Universal looks amazing. I've got a tentative Disney trip planned for summer 2017 and I'm having a hard time deciding between Disneyland/San Diego and WDW/Universal. I do think ultimately the West Coast will prevail just because I have little desire to go to Orlando in July. Hopefully I'll be able to make it out to Orlando soon though.

During the Powerball madness I was talking with my co-workers about buying a house at Golden Oak and I said something along the lines of "I would be the coolest grandparent ever". Ever since I've been made fun of for thinking about being a grandparent at the ripe old age of 28. :rotfl2:

Hurry and take another trip, so I'll have more to read!

Really enjoyed your trip report

Thank you!

It looked like you had a great time.

I really did. :goodvibes

I think the King Kong expansion at Universal looks amazing. I've got a tentative Disney trip planned for summer 2017 and I'm having a hard time deciding between Disneyland/San Diego and WDW/Universal. I do think ultimately the West Coast will prevail just because I have little desire to go to Orlando in July. Hopefully I'll be able to make it out to Orlando soon though.

You can't go wrong with either. I love Disneyland, and San Diego for the brief amount of time I have been there. I've been meaning to make it back to San Diego, so maybe this year I can get back there for a "beach" trip. I agree with you, I think the July weather will be more enjoyable in SoCal as opposed to Orlando. Have you been to Disneyland? It's my favorite US Disney park, although I do go back and forth with it and Magic Kingdom these days.

EDIT: Just saw your signature and yes you have been to Disneyland. :)

During the Powerball madness I was talking with my co-workers about buying a house at Golden Oak and I said something along the lines of "I would be the coolest grandparent ever". Ever since I've been made fun of for thinking about being a grandparent at the ripe old age of 28. :rotfl2:

:rotfl2:(grant)parent goals! I think about retiring to Orlando in my old age and being a greeter on Main Street, if that makes you feel any better!

Hurry and take another trip, so I'll have more to read!

Stay tuned. :thumbsup2

You can't go wrong with either. I love Disneyland, and San Diego for the brief amount of time I have been there. I've been meaning to make it back to San Diego, so maybe this year I can get back there for a "beach" trip. I agree with you, I think the July weather will be more enjoyable in SoCal as opposed to Orlando. Have you been to Disneyland? It's my favorite US Disney park, although I do go back and forth with it and Magic Kingdom these days.

EDIT: Just saw your signature and yes you have been to Disneyland. :)

Yeah, I've been there but it has been a while. It was pre DCA refurb and I was 15, haha. I'd really like to check it out again. Plus this will be a trip with my parents and I think DL would be more their speed. I loved Disneyland. That trip definitely was the first step to my obsession. In fact the first time I went to Magic Kingdom, I was slightly disappointed because I just didn't think it had the same ambiance as Disneyland.

My husband says he doesn't want to go back to WDW until Ezra is in middle school. :scared: Maybe it will be easier to convince him to go to DL since he has never been. He has a strange bias against California though. I think it's a Texas thing. :rotfl2:Good thing I'm persuasive!

Glad you had a nice meal at 'Ohana! I must say our last visit there the pork was amazing! (some of the other food less stellar, but with "all you care to enjoy" you can focus on the best parts!) The Lapu Lapu definitely isn't cheap, but (at least the ones we had) were fairly strong so didn't seem too crazy price wise (granted I am used to NYC prices where not great mixed drinks can by close to $20 - and that is served in a boring old glass)

Nice when places can hold special memories and you can revisit those memories when you go back. Especially there since, you know, 'Ohana means family
tumblr_n917faTINT1s8hh46o1_250.gif
tumblr_inline_now7peJ8hj1r1b19d_500.gif

oh, and "IT BURNS LIKE VEGGIES!!!" would have also made a great Trip Report title!

What can be said about Haunted Mansion that hasn't already been said? I love this classic ride, and I try to find something new with every ride. Haunted Mansion Holiday at Disneyland is also pretty incredible (at least to this Nightmare before Christmas fan). :thumbsup2

Love how classic the ride is yet it still holds up and all the small changes/enhancements they have made over the years only add to it - rather than destroying the original feel. Also agree that the Holiday overlay is so great!

According to my notes we did Pirates, and they did not come alive and eat us (bonus points for those who know where that reference is from). PotC had been recently refurbished and it looked and ran great.

Glad to hear Pirates looked and ran great. I know some people were disappointed with the "after" given how long it was down for, but sometimes these rides need significant maintenance

Sorry to hear your friend was sick and I too do not envy having to fly with toddlers while sick!

Seems like you got a ton done that morning ... though it appears everyone int he park was on line to eat at BOG so that is probably why there were no lines at the attractions.

I like the concept of the Decendants, but not sure about the execution (though I do like that Kristen Chenoworth plays Maleficent)

Sounds like a nice moment to people watch and take in the scene and the moment before you had to head out

Sorry your flight home was not a quiet one. I do appreciate your view on things and trying not to judge as you don't know the situation and what led to that point .... doesn't make the flight any more pleasant for you. Glad you found a good set of headphones to help with future situations though :)

Thanks so much for writing this report - I had a lot of fun following along and participating! I just appreciate people who do their best to have a positive outlook on life and all situations and that shines through about you.

I agree with a lot of your points. We are working on plans for our July trip and we seriously considered not even going to MGM - though I think with the new Star Wars Launch Bay, etc. we will at least do a short day there. Also excited for AK becoming a full day park - especially for the new River of Light show.

Oh, BTW - from what I can see they aren't going to do ADRs for the new Skipper Canteen. At least they aren't now, but maybe that will change in the future.

Thanks again - and wish you all the best for the future!

In fact the first time I went to Magic Kingdom, I was slightly disappointed because I just didn't think it had the same ambiance as Disneyland.

I agree; Disneyland has that aura of "Walt's park" and you can't quantify the feeling of knowing Walt walked down these roads you are on now. I'm not sure where I read/heard this, but someone said, "Disneyland is a park made by a man for his little girls. Walt Disney World is a park made by a corporation for the masses." I don't think there is a better way to say it! I don't mean this as a dig to Magic Kingdom, but it's so big. It's size has it's pros and cons (I LOVE that it is secluded). Anyways, that's a discussion for another day. :)

Maybe it will be easier to convince him to go to DL since he has never been.

Good thinking :thumbsup2
He has a strange bias against California though. I think it's a Texas thing. :rotfl2:

Ha, in Tennessee we talk about how crazy California is. But that doesn't stop me from visiting the state when I can. It's really an amazing part of our country. Wonderful to visit, wouldn't want to live there. And since I didn't win Powerball, I can't afford to live there!

Good thing I'm persuasive!

If momma aint happy, nobodies happy right?

The Lapu Lapu definitely isn't cheap, but (at least the ones we had) were fairly strong so didn't seem too crazy price wise (granted I am used to NYC prices where not great mixed drinks can by close to $20 - and that is served in a boring old glass)

Yeah, I usually don't even drink at restaurants because I can be frugal but I do make exceptions for special drinks.

oh, and "IT BURNS LIKE VEGGIES!!!" would have also made a great Trip Report title!

I was fortunate with many great trip report name contestants!

Seems like you got a ton done that morning ... though it appears everyone int he park was on line to eat at BOG so that is probably why there were no lines at the attractions.

On my notes I never wrote when I used FP+, so a lot of those I used fast passes. But I did get a lot done that afternoon, I guess I had flipped the switch to commando touring style. :thumbsup2

I like the concept of the Decendants, but not sure about the execution (though I do like that Kristen Chenoworth plays Maleficent)

I agree on the concept but I don't think I'll be watching for the execution any time soon. :rotfl2: Too many shows to watch!

Sounds like a nice moment to people watch and take in the scene and the moment before you had to head out

It really was, I was hoping to have these moments more often this trip but it didn't happen. They tend not to happen unless you plan for them.

Sorry your flight home was not a quiet one. I do appreciate your view on things and trying not to judge as you don't know the situation and what led to that point .... doesn't make the flight any more pleasant for you. Glad you found a good set of headphones to help with future situations though :)

I considered not writing about it, but it was a significant part of my flight home and I wanted to be thorough. I don't have kids now, but I do hope to have them someday. With that, I always try to pay attention to my friends/family with little ones to see how they are behaving, how the parents react, what works, what does not seem to work, and acknowledge when little ones are just overloaded they can't do anything but meltdown. I thought on that flight, "Adults flying economy are usually not comfortable. Flights can also be boring, and frankly horrifying for some. Why do we expect little ones to be any different?" Basically, I understand sometimes there is just not much parents can do, and as you said being snide or judging doesn't make a flight instantly better.

Thanks so much for writing this report - I had a lot of fun following along and participating! I just appreciate people who do their best to have a positive outlook on life and all situations and that shines through about you.

Thanks so much for reading, and I appreciate the kind words. Hopefully I'll be able to write more soon!

I agree with a lot of your points. We are working on plans for our July trip and we seriously considered not even going to MGM - though I think with the new Star Wars Launch Bay, etc. we will at least do a short day there.

Yeah, unfortunately at this point MGM has been downgraded to a "morning/evening for a few hours" park.

Also excited for AK becoming a full day park - especially for the new River of Light show.

It's going to be a new ball game when MGM and Animal Kingdom are both "full day parks" for the first time ever.

Thanks again - and wish you all the best for the future!

BTTF-See-you-in-the-future.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter