Volunteer Group for GKTW - Dec 9, 2011 - FINAL UPDATE

I'm so sad I missed this volunteer opportunity for Give Kids the World. It would be great to go over there and give some of my time. I have a few things on their wish list that I have collected to take over. One day I will make it over there. Too bad I missed the chance to with some great people. Hopefully next time!

Hi Bleukarma,

I noticed that there are still 6 openings for the Gingerbread House on Friday morning (that's the shift that the DIS team is signed up for). If you're interested, GKTW might be able to process your paperwork quickly so you can join in. NikkiBell has been coordinating this so I don't want to speak out of turn...but if you would like to do it, maybe you can send her a PM and see if it is possible?

And if not this time, I'm sure there will be other opportunities! GKTW will always be ready to welcome volunteers :)

I'm so sad I missed this volunteer opportunity for Give Kids the World. It would be great to go over there and give some of my time. I have a few things on their wish list that I have collected to take over. One day I will make it over there. Too bad I missed the chance to with some great people. Hopefully next time!

Hi Bleukarma,

I noticed that there are still 6 openings for the Gingerbread House on Friday morning (that's the shift that the DIS team is signed up for). If you're interested, GKTW might be able to process your paperwork quickly so you can join in. NikkiBell has been coordinating this so I don't want to speak out of turn...but if you would like to do it, maybe you can send her a PM and see if it is possible?

And if not this time, I'm sure there will be other opportunities! GKTW will always be ready to welcome volunteers :)

Are you interested? If so, PM me your first and last name. I'll contact GKTW and see if this is still a possibility being that there is room on the schedule there. Please let me know ASAP.

Are you interested? If so, PM me your first and last name. I'll contact GKTW and see if this is still a possibility being that there is room on the schedule there. Please let me know ASAP.

It's too late for me to get the day off work :( If I would've joined the boards earlier then I would've known about it and would be able to schedule time, but this close to Friday, I can't do it. Hopefully I will be able to join you guys in the future. I will keep my eye on this section of the boards.

So I'm scheduled to volunteer at GKTW on Thursday (I'd committed to that way before this group opportunity came up.) I just got a call from GKTW, and the woman who called was kind of appalled that I was planning on taking a taxi from Pop Century to GKTW. She suggested Mears (they couldn't offer anything besides a town car at $47 each way or a taxi at $30 each way) or the bus. The bus sounded OK until I checked and it would take a minimum of 3 buses and almost 2 hours each way! :eek:

I'm wondering if I'm over thinking this, and should just switch to volunteering with you guys on Friday (if you'll have me!) and if there's room in a car with you guys. I was going to call them back (she gave me a direct number, although I didn't catch her name!) and see what they thought after I checked with you guys & saw what you thought.

So, what do you think? Honestly, I'd rather give the $60 to GKTW...

Sayhello

SayHello -- yes, a cab to and from GKTW can be a little pricey. I am picking up some folks from Pop on Friday morning and there is room for one more in my car -- would be happy to have you join!

Alternatively, what time are you scheduled to volunteer on Thursday? I am sure I am headed over there at some point and I could easily swing by Pop Century.

Let me know if I can help!

SayHello -- yes, a cab to and from GKTW can be a little pricey. I am picking up some folks from Pop on Friday morning and there is room for one more in my car -- would be happy to have you join!

Alternatively, what time are you scheduled to volunteer on Thursday? I am sure I am headed over there at some point and I could easily swing by Pop Century.

Thanks so much. I'm scheduled Thursday from noon to 9pm. That's part of the problem, getting done so late. I'd really like to join the group, but I hate to leave GKTW short on Thursday (but I guess they're already short on Friday?)

I'm not sure why I'm so conflicted about this! Since you volunteer there so much, do you have a feel for how they'd feel about me switching?

Thanks,
Sayhello

OK, so I called back to GKTW, and spoke to a different person, and she was totally cool with me switching to join you guys on Friday. So I would very much like to take you up on your offer of a ride for Friday from Pop. I'll PM you my contact info.

Thanks!
Sayhello

Great! Yes, you are very thoughtful to be concerned about switching shifts...but after spending some time there, I see it happens ALL the time.

Giving several days' notice is fine -- the only real problem comes when people call at 7:15am to say they won't make it that day for their 7:30 shift. That becomes problematic. But your Thursday shifts will just go back into the pool and I'm sure someone else will pick them up!

Hey so is there still room for me and my mother? I've been swamped at work this week and now with finalizing everything to leave tomorrow, I haven't been on here to communicate with you! I just saw the other post about a taxi...ouch! :scared1: That's mighty high for a cab fare. But I really want this experience and will do what it takes :lovestruc If we can still work it out, I'll PM you my digits, as we fly out in the morning.

I will have my DIS shirt on and have a few extras... Let me know if you want me to bring 1 for you( they are large and xl). I have a cute large ladies shirt that does not fit me anymore you are welcome to keep if anyone wants it.

I'd love to borrow one (or two)! My mother and I are new to the DIS gang, this being our first event! We'd prob have a LG and XL? Just whatever you have. That would be awesome!! We had signed up before this group got together so we are at the Carousel in the a.m. then Katie's Kitchen in the p.m. but I want to come see the group! :wave2:

Hi DisMullins -- yes, you were the "other folks" I was referring to! Will call you and SayHello today to coordinate!

Looking forward to seeing you and others tomorrow :)

Just wanted to thank NikkiBell for organizing this. What a great time! I highly encourage anyone who is thinking about going to GKTW to volunteer to do it. We had an amazing time! THe tour was very enlightening as well.

Just wanted to thank NikkiBell for organizing this. What a great time! I highly encourage anyone who is thinking about going to GKTW to volunteer to do it. We had an amazing time! THe tour was very enlightening as well.
I totally agree with this! :thumbsup2

Tobi - Can you please post the group photo.. I would love to see it.
Here you go:

P1080591.jpg

This was such a fabulous experience! I highly recommend it to everyone!

Sayhello

I am so glad that everyone had an enriching experience. I second that it is a great thing to do during a trip and would recommend it to all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter