Volkswagon Passat...who has one??

jennifer293

<font color=green>SHHHHH , but we live in the stic
Dh's Ford Expedition has finally bit the bullet...with 215,000 miles on it!! We have had it for almost 10 years so I feel we got our money's worth. We are looking at a 2008 fully loaded VW Passat for about $17K and I wanted to know the pros and cons of one. We have never owned a VW, so how expensive are they if something breaks, routine maintenance, etc.??

Thanks,

Jennifer

Things might have changed since then but we owned a VW Jetta in the late 80's. Loved the car but it was expensive when it went in for repairs. Once it hit 70,000 miles it starting going completly downhill.

My DH still says that he had so much fun driving that car. ( I didn't drive back then)

German cars are very expensive to repair. We had an Audi. A part that cost $15 on an American car would cost $600 on a German car.:eek:

it just hit 60K and we had to blow $5000 on both catalytic converters, air pump, and a bunch of other stuff. On the other hand- my 1997 Toyota camry which has 180K on it has cost us a total of $3000 in 11 years!
I hate the Passat! Hubby bought it because it looked cool. Now he has learned his lesson and will be buying a toyota.

I just bought my 5th VW yesterday. I bought a Jetta. I love VW for style and power, but I do agree they can get expensive to fix. My Beetle died at 8 years old radiator crack I could have fixed it and would have if I wasn't having a baby. I have to say though I probably only put a total of 5000 into it in 8 years tires breaks etc...

I think you are going to find people either LOVE VW's or HATE them. That's a great price by the way and they offer a warrenty that covers everything so buy it!

I just bought my 5th VW yesterday. I bought a Jetta. I love VW for style and power, but I do agree they can get expensive to fix. My Beetle died at 8 years old radiator crack I could have fixed it and would have if I wasn't having a baby. I have to say though I probably only put a total of 5000 into it in 8 years tires breaks etc...

I think you are going to find people either LOVE VW's or HATE them. That's a great price by the way and they offer a warrenty that covers everything so buy it!

Thanks...he test drove a Jetta and liked it, but once he got in the Passat he was SOLD...also he is 6ft. 5in and he said that he had more leg room in the Passat.

I had a 2003 New Beetle and it had lots of mechanical problems. It went through 3 batteries while still under warranty. Even under warranty, getting it serviced was very expensive. I traded it in and would not buy another VW.

I suggest you check some online VW forums (not car magazine reviews) before making a decision. I wish I had before I bought my Bug.

I agree with everyone else. I had a Passat from 2000-2007. I loved driving it but more things went wrong with it than I expected. They were good about fixing things under warranty, but when the warranty ended, repairs could get expensive (and even oil changes on the thing were really expensive.)

Mine had a lot of "weird problems" -- like the power door locks were supposed to lock themselves the first time you passed 7 miles per hour. Mine started trying to lock themselves *every* time you passed 7mph and making a loud, angry buzzing noise when they couldn't since they were already locked. Start driving and pass 7mph (lock), slow down for a traffic light (lock-BUZZ!!), speed up from traffic light (lock-BUZZ!), slow down to make a sharp turn (lock-BUZZ!) They were able to fix it, but he car was in the shop for two days. What a pain!

I once complained the service technician about all the "weird problems" that my car had and he said, "Oh, well this is a very complex machine. It has 7 computers." as though that should explain it. I thought the computers were supposed to help the car work *better.*

I loved my Passat...but I won't buy another one.

I agree with everyone else. I had a Passat from 2000-2007. I loved driving it but more things went wrong with it than I expected. They were good about fixing things under warranty, but when the warranty ended, repairs could get expensive (and even oil changes on the thing were really expensive.)

Mine had a lot of "weird problems" -- like the power door locks were supposed to lock themselves the first time you passed 7 miles per hour. Mine started trying to lock themselves *every* time you passed 7mph and making a loud, angry buzzing noise when they couldn't since they were already locked. Start driving and pass 7mph (lock), slow down for a traffic light (lock-BUZZ!!), speed up from traffic light (lock-BUZZ!), slow down to make a sharp turn (lock-BUZZ!) They were able to fix it, but he car was in the shop for two days. What a pain!

I once complained the service technician about all the "weird problems" that my car had and he said, "Oh, well this is a very complex machine. It has 7 computers." as though that should explain it. I thought the computers were supposed to help the car work *better.*

I loved my Passat...but I won't buy another one.

The above post is exactly what I would say about the Passat. I loved mine so much, I even cried the night we traded it in! (I know, how pathetic!) But, I was sick and tired of the thing being in the shop. We owned it less than 5 years and it had one problem after another, all weird things like design_mom said (not her exact problems, but other really weird stuff, like the trunk lid hinge snapped off--no one I have asked has ever heard of that happening to a car, even much older cars!!!) That car was in the shop more than all other cars I have owned combined! I couldn't take it any more! VWs are seriously nice cars; I loved driving the Passat and felt "cool" even though I was in my late 30's. But it was not worth the hassle. I miss the car terribly, but I need to know I can count on my car and I just couldn't count on the Passat.

I don't know if this is still true or not, but don't you have to use super unleaded gas in VW's? I had a Passat years ago and I know they said you should only use super in it. That's pricey right there with gas prices rising again.

We had three Passats - 99, 03, and 06. Loved every one. We also had a couple other VWs during that time. We had an electrical issue with the 99 (obviously, didn't stop us from buying another). The other two were problem-free. Of course, we don't keep cars for more than 2 or 3 years. Parts are relatively expensive. We had to buy a battery for the first time and it costs way more than most car batteries. Their excuse? "Well, you're really paying for an Audi battery." Because a Passat is basically an Audi A4. Wonder if they tell the Audi customers that they are getting a deal on a Volkswagen battery? ;)

I don't know if this is still true or not, but don't you have to use super unleaded gas in VW's? I had a Passat years ago and I know they said you should only use super in it. That's pricey right there with gas prices rising again.

My New Beetle used premium gas. Also, mine was a Turbo S model with a high performance engine and it used gasoline like CRAZY. I kid you not, my other car was a big ol' Suburban (the long kind!) and it got better gas mileage.

My New Beetle used premium gas. Also, mine was a Turbo S model with a high performance engine and it used gasoline like CRAZY. I kid you not, my other car was a big ol' Suburban (the long kind!) and it got better gas mileage.

I never used premium in my Passats, but I did in my GTI.

My DH drives a 06 Passat that we bought new almost 3 years ago. He goes in for routine maintenance and drives 90 miles daily. We've had NO issues with it and LOVE it. He's not usually one to drive cars long, but insists he will run this one into the ground. We've owned a 03 and 04 Jetta before that and have had nothing but great results from our VWs. (The 03 got totaled when DH got hit by an Expedition that ran a stop sign. Traded in the 04 for the Passat when our DS was 6 months old.) Love the VWs so much that we were in the showroom poking around while waiting for his to be ready from being serviced that we walked out of there trading in my Trailblazer for a fully loaded 09 Routan. :woohoo: I couldn't be happier!

OP here...ohhhh I just don't know about this car...I went and looked at it today (it was actually unlocked on a Sunday w/the dealership closed):eek:. I pulled a carfax on it and it has been wrecked in the rear end with moderate damage and that scares me, also I have been reading so many negatives about it that I am freaked out now. It is still under warranty, but I don't know that we can afford to fix it once the warranty runs out.

I did find a 2009 Toyota Camry on the same lot for only 1500 more with 21K less miles on it that I LOVE, but he said it was not comfortable (it was unlocked too)....he is full of it!!!

This will be his car ( I drive a 2003 Yukon XL..that I LOVE!!!), but I will have to drive it some, so I need it to be something I feel safe in with the kids and such!! KWIM???

We have a 2000 Passat with 194,000 miles on it, and plan on driving it for at least another 50,000 miles. It is a good car, and we have not had too many problems with it. However, it is a little more expensive to fix problems when they do occur. As far as gas goes, we used premium for the first 3 or 4 years, then decided to start using regular unleaded, and have not had any problems using it.

We've had 6 VW's and have loved every one of them. We currently have two passats, a 2007 & a 2008. They are nicely finished auto's and a lot of fun to drive!

They do, however, require premium fuel and synthetic oil. That being said, they have been very reliable over all. We would happily reccomend them!

Never owned one, but I knew few guys who all owned Jettas (6 or more of them). One bought/got a used one from one member of the group when it gave out on him. Everyone first went to the dead vehicle for parts first rather than go through the dealership for those parts.

All I drive are VWs. Waiting patiently for my lease to run out on my 2007 4motion Passat so I can grab one of those CCs.
I have had issues with all the VWs I have owned. But warranty has always covered them. I usually trade before warranty runs out. I have heard the bills people get while sitting the waiting room at VW, and have been thankful I have the warranty. I couldnt imagine. The worst has been when the starter went on it 2 days after I got it. I have had a couple of starter issues since then. That would be the only complaint I have with this VW. Other than that, its fun to drive and handles real well.

I use the premium gas in it. But what happens if you dont?

Well I went and drove the Passat for myself this morning..sometimes DH lets his wants get in the way of obvious issues..lol It was very peppy and it is a very nice car (did have a bad cigarette smell..immediate turn off), BUT I got up to about 45mph and then slammed the brakes and it made a HORRIBLE grinding metal to metal sound, and it shook all over (possibly out of alignment). Also the engine had a little bit of a rattle to it.

ANYWHO I said NO, and after a little pouting he agreed..I drove the Jetta and I did not like it at all. I drove a 2007 Toyota Rav 4, and it was OK, drove a 2009 Toyota Camry and it was alright, but looked very cheaply made inside.

The winner is: a fully loaded 2007 black Nissan Altima w/35K miles...I LOVED IT!!!! I made DH drive it and he said he liked it better than the Passat..this was supposed to be his car because I have a Yukon XL, but I am thinking I may give him the Yukon and take the Altima..I like it that much!!! :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter