VMK "religions" in signatures

There are some very good points being made. You are right that talking about a favorite music group doesn't create the same type of response in people as talking about religion. It is a hot button topic. But you can substitute whatever you want in the example. It's not offesive to me for someone to say, "Allah is god" in a public area of the game. It would be offensive for someone to tell me that I have to stop being an Evangelical Christian in order to play the game.

It's ok to bring Fall Out Boy to the game but check Jesus at the door? To tell a person of faith to keep it to themselves not only defies religion, it defies logic. ;)

Yes, I'm pretty sure this was clarified but goth isn't a religion, just a subculture from that horrific period called the 80's which I'm so glad I missed.. by 14 days.
I like to steal pink paint and painbrushes from the Art Dept. and pretty-fy the poor ones at our school. They don't appreciate it as much :p.

I don't think it will be long until the P.C monster (hah.) makes it socially incorrect to publicly say your religion. And since that's the general god Disney worships, the signatures might go bye-bye as well.

Hmmm.

In the Catholic religion (a sect of Christianity) , it is believed that the better Catholic will not run around screaming to the world of his or her faith. It is believed that the better Catholic will worship in private.

Exactly, the M in VMK stands for Magic, not Missionary. :p

I think that if in RL WDW people can yell "Thanks Be to GOD for this beautiful day at EPCOT" than I should be able to say that I heart the King of Kings.

I know that you cannot be a missionary in VMK, that is just weird. I will say when I go to Town Square, as I do a lot, I will look at the flag and say: Cheese us bless am ic a. ;)

Loves Disney said:
In the Catholic religion (a sect of Christianity) , it is believed that the better Catholic will not run around screaming to the world of his or her faith. It is believed that the better Catholic will worship in private.

I don't think we are talking about any type of public "worship" or "prayer." To an extent I agree with you. You should not put your faith on display so that people will notice what a "religious" person you are. But faith is not a "private" matter to be hidden away in prayer closets. In one way or another it effects everything you do. Even playing a game like VMK.

In the game I have met some people that I consider friends. I have not tried to convert anyone but I have promised to "talk to the big guy upstairs" when a VMK friend was going through a difficult time. I'm not proselytizing anyone but if you hang around me long enough it just comes out. It's real to me and it would be wrong for me to try to hide it.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what this discussion is about?

KrazyPete said:
I don't think we are talking about any type of public "worship" or "prayer." To an extent I agree with you. You should not put your faith on display so that people will notice what a "religious" person you are. But faith is not a "private" matter to be hidden away in prayer closets. In one way or another it effects everything you do. Even playing a game like VMK.

Actually, in the Catholic religion, you are told to pray alone in a closed room with no one else present. You are also told to keep faith private, to an extent. But this is just that religion, all these people must not be Catholics...or least not devout Catholics...that is just my observation.

Loves Disney said:
Actually, in the Catholic religion, you are told to pray alone in a closed room with no one else present. You are also told to keep faith private, to an extent. But this is just that religion, all these people must not be Catholics...or least not devout Catholics...that is just my observation.

I'm familiar with the scripture about praying in private. I'm not a Catholic but I'm pretty sure they have do have corporate worship. However, I cannot speak intelligently on what a Catholic believes so I won't try.

In my limited understanding of the Bible and it's teachings, I cannot compartmentalize my spiritual life from secular one. That's the bottom line for me. I know not everyone reading this thread believes in God and those that do relate to Him in different ways. But, let me just ask this and I will go to bed and look forward to reading your thoughtful responses in the morning. ;)

If there is a God who created the universe. And if that God made Himself accessible to you so that you could have a relationship with Him. And in the context of that relationship you felt depth of His love and power of His grace. How could you keep that inside? Would that even be right?

Again, I'm not trying to convert anyone. I'm trying to explain why, from my point of view, religion is perfectly acceptable in a multiplayer game like VMK.

KrazyPete said:

In the game I have met some people that I consider friends. I have not tried to convert anyone but I have promised to "talk to the big guy upstairs" when a VMK friend was going through a difficult time. I'm not proselytizing anyone but if you hang around me long enough it just comes out. It's real to me and it would be wrong for me to try to hide it.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what this discussion is about?
Loves Disney said:
Actually, I was not raised Catholic. But I was raised that your faith is between you and God. In my views, it is a private matter. It is a relationship between you and God. No one else come into that picture. If there is, then you are following that person's beliefs and not what your heart/conscience (God) is telling you.

That is the way I believe. If you listen and believe what someone is telling you is their truth over what your heart is telling you, then you are following that person and not God. And one person's "truth" may not be another person's. Therein lies the fact that faith is a very personal and private thing.

Some may believe the same way, many do not. And I can respect that.

I don't say that a person should check their faith or beliefs at the VMK "door". If they have faith, it cannot leave them when they are playing an online game. But they can control where and to whom they talk about that faith.

And KrazyPete, saying "Allah is God" may not be offensive to you or me, but it may be to someone who does not believe that. Would it be offensive to you if I said Satan is God? I certainly know it would be to many people. And yet, to those that worship him, he is their god.

Saying you'll "talk to the big guy upstairs" when a person is having problems is fine with me. It's really just people that get up and say "Jesus dead for you and you have to believe that way or else" that annoys me.
And isn't it funny that it annoys me when I'm Christian? It shouldn't should it? According to some anyways. ;)
But, I was raised that I should respect the fact that not everyone believes as I do. In fact, I don't believe the exact same things that my mom did. But I still believe that she is one of God's angels. As I also believe that everyone is God's child. And the way that they may or may not worship should be left up to them. Not us. That is why God gave us free will and a conscience.

But that's my belief. :)

AmberDaze said:
Do you have a pic?
Uh...That is the pic. Do you not see it? :confused3

I am not about to go on and on about what I believe, as that has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the topic at hand and Catholics believe a relationship with God is a one on one thing, not a two on the world thing. In this religious faith, it is believed that in order to have a personal relationship with God, the follower must devote his or her prayers to only God and not with the world. In this faith, to tell everyone your "prayers" is like telling everyone secrets about, say, a marriage relationship. Evidently a wife or a husband wouldn't want his or her partner to tell the world everything about him or her, right? It is asked, in this religion, why must a person yell to the world what he or she may believe? Isn't it fine just knowing that both the follower and God have a strong relationship?

Again, I am only backing up the Catholic religion as that is the one I know best. I cannot say what is believed in other religions (even as I may have an idea, I am not clear on facts). All I am saying is, the people in vmk who walk around preaching are not Catholics. If they were real Catholics they would understand this part of the belief.

All I am doing here is putting down the facts lol of this particular religion. Do with it what you may lol.

EDIT TO ADD: cteddiesgirl, I was writing this before you posted lol, sorry if the first part echoes what you wrote lol... :blush:

AND: I again agree with you! LOL.

Loves Disney said:
My guess is no, they're probably not, though some may be.

One of my best friends is a devout Catholic. In the past 8 yrs I've noticed her talking about stuff more like what I'd expect from an evangelical church. Do I doubt she has swayed from her foundation? No, yet I haven't spent enough time to ask (we haven't lived in same state since graduating 17 yrs ago). My apologies, I don't know enough about Catholic churches these days to know what activities are promoted. We were comfortable with church/faith stuff, because it was a topic we were both passionate about and ironically didn't challenge each other on as we did (at least she did me) on so many other things. In a school like UW Madison (40,000 kids) it's always good to have faith grounded friends.

OT, sort of, I think we should have a Cheese Us Greets Us :grouphug: meeting room a couple times so those who want to develop a faith based friends list can find them. I haven't seen many of you Dis people except DaraSue but I don't know many vmk names so wouldn't know if you don't have Dis in your sig. :confused3

I could not sleep. I'm drawn to this thread like a Zeta Girl to a gathering of Alpha Males. :teeth:

I have to think about this stuff for a while. You all make very good points and I can understand where you are coming from. It helps me get outside of my Evangelical worldview and try to see God from another perspective.

Explain to me how two people can have opposing personal views of God and both of their beliefs can be true. I understand that if I believe Jesus is God then that is what I perceive to be true. If someone else believes that Satan is God then that is what they perceive to be true. We both perceive that our beliefs are true but since our beliefs are contradictory either one of us is right and the other is wrong, or we are both wrong. Right?

^ Lol, mal, I was just about to say something about the raven paradox when I realized how far we'd strayed from the original topic.

KrazyPete said:
I could not sleep. I'm drawn to this thread like a Zeta Girl to a gathering of Alpha Males. :teeth:

I have to think about this stuff for a while. You all make very good points and I can understand where you are coming from. It helps me get outside of my Evangelical worldview and try to see God from another perspective.

Explain to me how two people can have opposing personal views of God and both of their beliefs can be true. I understand that if I believe Jesus is God then that is what I perceive to be true. If someone else believes that Satan is God then that is what they perceive to be true. We both perceive that our beliefs are true but since our beliefs are contradictory either one of us is right and the other is wrong, or we are both wrong. Right?
Well, I believe that most people believe the way that is right for them. This is why faith is such a personal thing. You don't believe everything exactly they same way as your pastor right? Each person takes a part of faith that they feel is right for them. Some Christians believe that drinking any alcohol is against their beliefs. And yet Jesus drank wine. So for me, there is no religious belief to keep me from drinking (moderately). And yet both I and the teetotaler are both Christians. Just remember that there are many forms of Christianity and many differences in the people within on sect.
As for the Jewish, they do not believe that Jesus was the son of God (or God, depending on your view). And yet they still believe in God. It is what works for them. The Satanist believes that Satan is his/her god. That may be what works for them. I don't have to believe that. I don't even have to like it. But I have to respect that that is their belief and not try to shove my own beliefs down their throats. And they have to respect mine.
Isn't also amazing how it's mostly Christians actively trying to convert people and not those of other religions? :teeth:

But everything has to do with a person's personal experiences in life. No two people will have the exact same experiences. It's the same with faith. No two people will have the same experience with faith and so everyone will believe something slightly (or vastly) different.

And, as stated in One of my fave movies "Dogma"
Serendipity: When are you people going to learn? It's not about who's right or wrong. No denomination's nailed it yet, and they never will because they're all too self-righteous to realize that it doesn't matter what you have faith in, just that you have faith. Your hearts are in the right place, but your brains need to wake up.

and as for broadening your belief and faith from the same film:
Rufus: He still digs humanity, but it bothers Him to see the crap that gets carried out in His name - wars, bigotry, but especially the factioning of all the religions. He said humanity took a good idea and, like always, built a belief structure on it.
Bethany: Having beliefs isn't good?
Rufus: I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier. Life should malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant.

:)

Maleficent2 said:
boy has this thread strayed way :offtopic:
Yes it has. Was just thinking that. :)

But my point still remains that saying stuff in your signatures is fine with me. Just don't be preaching to all out on Main Street. I know there are Jewish and possibly Muslim, Wiccan, Agnostic, Hindu, Buddhist, Taoist, Sikh, Baha'i, Shinto, Vodun, and many more. And these people should not be practically forced to "hear" what people think they should believe.

cteddiesgirl said:

Star of Mickey Pin

Cool. So the Star of Mickey Pin and the Pin with a Dreidel are the same. Thanks for the photo. Maybe this year VMK will have a menorah. And how cool would it be if the candles could be "lit"?

Thanks again for the photo,
Disney Dreams

KrazyPete said:
... Explain to me how two people can have opposing personal views of God and both of their beliefs can be true. I understand that if I believe Jesus is God then that is what I perceive to be true. If someone else believes that Satan is God then that is what they perceive to be true. We both perceive that our beliefs are true but since our beliefs are contradictory either one of us is right and the other is wrong, or we are both wrong. Right?

KrazyPete, I think that your very wise question above represents the entire reason that the issue of religion has been heated amongst so many for centuries.

No one knows with 100% certainty who G-d is or how G-d came to be. The fact that the belief by one group or another cannot be proven, allows the differences of beliefs to continue. We have no possible way to know who is right or wrong.

If you and I were to disagree over whether or not an ice cube can be reduced to a liquid state, we could prove this to be true, very easily in fact. No one's beliefs about G-d can be proven, allowing one of the most heated debates of all time to continue.

The key, of course, is to learn to accept that others have differing views and that although they may not match mine, that does not matter. I am comfortable in my beliefs (which I feel no need to go into here) and understand that others may not believe the same as I. To accept that this is ok is truly what we - as a world community - need to learn. Sadly, this has eluded many of our fellow "global citizens" for centuries.

(Note: For anyone who is wondering, in the Jewish religion the word G-d is never written out in its entirety as someday the paper that the word is written on will be destroyed. Or in this case, the word will someday be deleted, whereby destroying or deleting the name of G-d. Just thought I would explain so that no one has to ask.)

Respectfully,
Disney Dreams

Maleficent2 said:
boy has this thread strayed way :offtopic:

Yes Mal, it has. But amazingly it has remained a civil and thought provoking discussion.

Loves Disney said:

This is partially correct in my opinion. The Roman Catholic religion does believe in outreach to the community and thus showing the love of Christ through their actions. As for complete worship in private, I think if this was true, there would not be so many masses offered so many days and times of the week. The fact that so many catholic churches have weekly youth activites, senior events, dinners, etc. shows that they do believe in socializing with others, thus sharing their faith.

This from the Pope...Mission work not only philanthropic, Pope says

Jun. 02 (CWNews.com) - The goal of Catholic missionary work is not merely "philanthropic or social," Pope Benedict XVI (bio - news) writes in his message for the 80th World Mission Sunday.

Missionary work is the task of every Christian community, the Pope says, and the essence of that task is "to communicate God Who is Love." So missionaries must be motivated by love of God, and there work should help people enter into communion with God through his Church.

And here is a link with statements from the Pope about lay work. http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=44500

KrazyPete said:
It's ok to bring Fall Out Boy to the game but check Jesus at the door? To tell a person of faith to keep it to themselves not only defies religion, it defies logic. ;)

Oh, the seeds...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter