• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vmk Players Unite Show you support for Katrina Victims and their families

Maleficent2

DIS Veteran
I hope this is not in poor taste but as a show of solidary and support for all those in the US Gulf Coast states who right now are facing such an uncertain future and to those who lost loved ones in this diaster....to show our love, support and concern and to say we are thinkingand praying of/for them in their time of need.....

Could we all wear black today when we play VMK.

:grouphug: to everyone in the Gulf Coast area and their friends and families.

Mal

also just for your info and if you would like to donate:(thanks Dan Murphy for this info)

Here is a list of phone numbers set up solely for cash donations and/or volunteers.

Donate cash to:

American Red Cross
1-800-HELP NOW (435-7669) English,
1-800-257-7575 Spanish;
American Red Cross http://www.RedCross.org ...There's a specific Katrina/Hurricane Relief Fund link on the first page.

Salvation Army http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/ ...There is a specific Katrina/Hurricane Relief Fund link on this site as well

Operation Blessing
1-800-436-6348

America’s Second Harvest
1-800-344-8070

Donate Cash to and/or Volunteer with:

Adventist Community Services
1-800-381-7171

Catholic Charities, USA
703 549-1390

Christian Disaster Response
941-956-5183 or 941-551-9554

Christian Reformed World Relief Committee
1-800-848-5818

Church World Service
1-800-297-1516

Convoy of Hope
417-823-8998

Lutheran Disaster Response
800-638-3522

Mennonite Disaster Service
717-859-2210

Nazarene Disaster Response
888-256-5886

Presbyterian Disaster Assistance
800-872-3283

Salvation Army
1-800-SAL-ARMY (725-2769)

Southern Baptist Convention -- Disaster Relief
1-800-462-8657, ext. 6440

United Methodist Committee on Relief
1-800-554-8583

Also, if your employer does matching contributions, make sure to try and complete the simple paperwork to stretch those dollars.

Also they are probably going to need blood.

ok i will but what happened?

im not really a fan of news unless it's about disney

marypops! said:
ok i will but what happened?

im not really a fan of news unless it's about disney

She's referring to the devestation caused by Hurricane Katrina, which has slammed parts of Louisianna (New Orleans is completely flooded), and Mississippi.

Karen

Will do.

I still have not heard from so many Dis Friends, I just pray that were able to seek shelter out of harms way. I know many have lost their homes and their businesses.

I sent a monetary donation to the Red Cross last night, I suggest that if at all possible, all that are able, make a donation as well.

thanks PB!

Just think if every VMK player only gave $5 that would be $10,000 figured 2000 players...I know that is only a grain of sand in the ocean of what it will cost but every tiny bit helps....

I will be making a donation today.

Mal

What a great idea! My kids (5 and 3) want to donate their disney fund to Katrina victims. I wonder if the Coinstar machine in the grocery store is doing something for the relief. We were able to donate our coins there for the tsunami. :grouphug:

What a great idea. I'll change into black when I log on.
I already made a donation to the Red Cross. I live on the East coast of Fl, and they were so great for us last year. I'm so glad to be able to help this time.

TLinden16 said:
She's referring to the devestation caused by Hurricane Katrina, which has slammed parts of Louisianna (New Orleans is completely flooded), and Mississippi.

Karen
theres a part of new orleans that is 20 feet of rain and that part on normal days is 15 below sea level so it is flooded and it gets realy flooded were i am it is sometimes10 inches when it has only been 30 miutes but 20 feet that is crazy maybe we need to take new orleans off the map i hope not

Just to go a tad further with your information Mal (thanks a lot for posting too btw):

Flood Buckets and Health Kits are a MUST right now. We have been making these every year at church, but they are in DIRE need of them now. The area that these buckets get sent to in LA was not too badly affected so it is safe to go ahead and send off to address listed.

This is the address to put together your own kits. Make sure you read/follow the directions closely.

Flood and Health Kits

Feel free to PM as I have done these kits many times :)

Also, since this is the begining of the school year it might make sense to go ahead and make up a couple school kits as well. Items are really cheap right now, and the children who have been affected will need these supplies on down the road.
Thank you all for your support!
**Edited to add***
You can also contact your local Methodist church because they should be taking collections of these kits in the next week or so. You can do this instead of sending out the kits yourself :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter