VMK Pal question

Vary

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know where and how pictures taken through VMK Pal are stored? I'm looking for a faster way to get at them than just saving them all through the photo album interface.

Check this location, I am not sure, but it would be my guess.

C:\Program Files\VMK Pal\?

I would guess somewhere in there it would be stored, I am not sure, because I don't use pal.

Does anyone know where and how pictures taken through VMK Pal are stored? I'm looking for a faster way to get at them than just saving them all through the photo album interface.

C:\Documents and Settings\Kurt\Application Data\VMK Pal\Pictures

In the above example "Kurt" is my user name.

I've spent no more than 5 minutes on this, so my uninformed answer is that they're not stored anywhere as images. I took a picture and then did a search of all files created on my hard drive today, but none of them were something from VMKPal. My only lead was in the C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch folder, where you'll see something like: VMKPAL.EXE-07594CDA. The creation of that file corresponded with when I took the picture. My theory breaks down when I delete the file and I can still access the picutres on VMKPal, and, when I take new pictures a new file is not created in the Prefetch folder.

They are stored as .png files, which are images. You can view them in any photo application, or in your browser. Please see my above post for the location of the files.

They are stored as .png files, which are images. You can view them in any photo application, or in your browser. Please see my above post for the location of the files.

Yeah, saw your post and I learned that searching for all files won't cover things in that folder. Thanks.

Yeah, saw your post and I learned that searching for all files won't cover things in that folder. Thanks.

Well, searching for all files will actually help you in the future. After you click on All Files and Folders, click on the "More Advanced options" link. Then you can select the checkbox "Search system folders" and "Search hidden files and folders".

Problem solved. :)

You can thank Microsoft for trying to make things "easy" for you.

Thanks, I was trying the same things as Celebration, searching for recently modified files. Didn't think to dig around in the options to make sure I wasn't skipping anything.

Well, searching for all files will actually help you in the future.

And just when I thought I knew all the good tricks! (Somebody recently taught me to use that process to see which songs people are listening to when you share your iTunes on the company network; you can see recently accessed .mp3s.) It's become a pasttime of mine.

Thanks for the insight there!

OK, wait....

I don't have to go through each and every picture in my VMK Pal to save it on my computer? They are already there?

I am so very computer illiterate. How can I find and access these on my computer?

Sorry, Cowboy, if you've already answered this, but I need the dummy language :)

OK, wait....

I don't have to go through each and every picture in my VMK Pal to save it on my computer? They are already there?

I am so very computer illiterate. How can I find and access these on my computer?

Sorry, Cowboy, if you've already answered this, but I need the dummy language :)

You could probably just select them all then move them to "My Pictures".

OK, wait....

Yes, that Save to Computer button in VMK Pal is just plain odd since they are actually already saved somewhere.

Here is how to find these files (I'm assuming you have Windows XP):
1) Double Click on your "My Computer" icon on your desktop.
2) Double Click on your "C:\" drive.
3) From the "Tools" menu at the top of the window, select "Folder Options."
4) Click on the "View" tab.
5) You will see an option that says "Show hidden files and folders". Go ahead and select that.
6) While your here, lets make your pc show even more things. Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types."
7) Click on the "OK" button.

... Now we will find the files.

8) Double click on your "Documents and Settings" folder.
9) Double click on your username folder. Mine says "Kurt". Unless you are Kurt, you will have something different to click on. ;)
10) Double click on the "Application Data" folder.
11) Double click on the "VMK Pal" folder.
12) Double click on the "Pictures" folder.

And Bam! There are all your pictures.

That's as dumbed down as it gets Pinky. Let me know if you get stuck. ;)

OK, wait....

you're not alone in needing the dummy language.

Yes, that Save to Computer button in VMK Pal is just plain odd since they are actually already saved somewhere.

5) You will see an option that says "Show hidden files and folders". Go ahead and select that.
6) While your here, lets make your pc show even more things. Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types."

9) Double click on your username folder. Mine says "Kurt". Unless you are Kurt, you will have something different to click on. ;)

Oh my gosh, SILVER HUGS, Cowboy! They are all there! :) Of course, I'll probably forget how to find them again :)

Actually, I already had the "show hidden files" checked, so didn't need to change any settings...

So guess I just need to remember to go to my C drive... click on Documents & Settings... and from there, I'll be able to remember the rest.. :teeth:

Thank you again! Wow, that's a relief to not have to individually save each picture. I have lots :dance3:

ok so is it different if I have Vista?

It's very similar for Vista, but here's some modified directions (mostly borrowed from BlueHairedMonkey):

Here is how to find these files (on Vista):
1) Double Click on your "My Computer" icon on your desktop, or on the start menu, click "Computer."
3) Click Organize, then "Folder and Search Options.
5) Under Hidden Files and Folders, select "Show hidden files and folders"

8) Click "Users"
9) Double click on your username folder. Mine says "TikiIslander". Unless you are TikiIslander, you will have something different to click on.
10) Double click on the "AppData" folder.
11) Double click on the "Roaming" folder.
12) Double click on the "VMK Pal" folder.

And KA-POW! There are all your pictures.

It's very similar for Vista, but here's some modified directions (mostly borrowed from BlueHairedMonkey):

Here is how to find these files (on Vista):
1) Double Click on your "My Computer" icon on your desktop, or on the start menu, click "Computer."
3) Click Organize, then "Folder and Search Options.
5) Under Hidden Files and Folders, select "Show hidden files and folders"

8) Click "Users"
9) Double click on your username folder. Mine says "TikiIslander". Unless you are TikiIslander, you will have something different to click on.
10) Double click on the "AppData" folder.
11) Double click on the "Roaming" folder.
12) Double click on the "VMK Pal" folder.

And KA-POW! There are all your pictures.

Woot! thanks, now I don't have to spend all my time saving those pictures that are already there. :rotfl:

OK, wait....

OMG that's the exact same thing I wondered when I read this thread. :scared1:

I'm not so good when it comes to computer files and extracting data from them
and stuff like that.. :scared:

So I guess that save to computer button in VMK Pal is just there so they
don't have to explain to get to the file? I dunno..

EDIT: Okay nevermind I'm completely lost at those instructions. Where the heck is my organize
button? Where is my C drive? Where does it say anything? Lol.

EDIT2: Okay I found my C:/ Drive, now where is the organize button? All I see is a list of files..

Do you know how to do this for Vista?

Sorry just found post above

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter