• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VMK Made A Child Very Unhappy Today!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney Dreams said:
This is absolutely ridiculous.

1. Today's staff event was titled: Christmas in July. Monkey's room was titled Hannukah Joy. She did not dictionary dance or use allowable words in an inappropriate way. Why would this not be allowed? Are we to believe that wanted the word "Joy" to be changed?

The menorah is a symbol of Hannukah much in the same way that the tree is a symbol of Christmas. There are many rooms that have Christmas in their title. I know of at least one that belongs to a friend.

The truly sad part of what Monkey has experienced is that VMK is somehow telling children that Hannukah is not accepted while Christmas (aka - Christmas in July) is. That is truly not a message of any values that I would hope this game would be attempting to spread.

I will be building a Channukah room this afternoon (although my money and time really should be going to my ride rooms :furious: ), but this is an issue that goes way beyond this being a game. It touches on what children are being shown as acceptable ways to filter religious identity in a very subtle, yet lasting and hurtful way. If anyone else has a Hannukah or Christmas room that they would like to link to mine, please let me know. I am thinking of it as a joint sign of acceptance and tolerance towards varying holiday celebrations. Let me know if you are interested.....

- Disney Dreams

Was walt a nazi?

Kids can make "Boo duh" rooms for all I care, let kids find friends that they'd like to find as long as it's in a positive way. This is America, and the freedoms of religion shouldn't be limited to the real world only.

This is a huge claim, because what's VMK going to do? Make a Hindu pin? A Buddha statue for our rooms (that'd be pretty cool!) and a quest to learn the nobel truths of Buddhism to get it? Or how about a cross, that everyone can do inferno under?

It's a weird subject, and in my opinion, we should just enjoy the game for what it is.. an at home Disney experience.

Tampa said:
Kids can make "Boo duh" rooms for all I care, let kids find friends that they'd like to find as long as it's in a positive way. This is America, and the freedoms of religion shouldn't be limited to the real world only.

This is a huge claim, because what's VMK going to do? Make a Hindu pin? A Buddha statue for our rooms (that'd be pretty cool!) and a quest to learn the nobel truths of Buddhism to get it? Or how about a cross, that everyone can do inferno under?

It's a weird subject, and in my opinion, we should just enjoy the game for what it is.. an at home Disney experience.

The last one sounded pretty good.

Foamy666 said:
Was walt a nazi?
Excuse me, but that had absolutely nothing to do with my comments. I honestly think that you are being extremely rude and OT.

LoriR said:
I would like everyone to keep this DIS Guideline in mind when posting: We ask that everyone conduct himself or herself with respect when speaking to other people. It is okay to disagree, as long as the discussion remains respectful of the feelings of others

Thank you!!

I find this thread to have turned highly offensive.

A young child was upset because of the actions of VMK, and understandably so.

This did not give other the right to call each other names.

mailboomer, calling someone a nazi is way beyond rude. I highly suggest that you research just who and what Nazis were. Just because someone does not believe in the God you do, or I do, does not make him or her a Nazi.

Foamy666, if you want your opinions to be treated with respect, I suggest you too, lay off your negative posts as well.

Sorry, mods, but I couldn't keep my mouth shut here. This forum is about Disney and VMK, not name calling.

It's ok to vent here, but there will be no change in vmk unless everyone writes to them and tells them how you feel.

monsterkitty said:
I find this thread to have turned highly offensive.

A young child was upset because of the actions of VMK, and understandably so.

This did not give other the right to call each other names.

mailboomer, calling someone a nazi is way beyond rude. I highly suggest that you research just who and what Nazis were. Just because someone does not believe in the God you do, or I do, does not make him or her a Nazi.

Foamy666, if you want your opinions to be treated with respect, I suggest you too, lay off your negative posts as well.

Sorry, mods, but I couldn't keep my mouth shut here. This forum is about Disney and VMK, not name calling.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... He didn't call anyone a nazi to my knowledge.

MickeysMusic, I am very sorry about what happened to you today. I am also very sorry and sad that this thread has gone so far off topic despite my efforts to keep it that way.

Lori

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter