Viva Italia-priceless! Part 4 of 4 Final thoughts

Californialady

Earning My Ears
This was our trip of a life time. I have no complaints at all, and only praise for the itinerary, activities, adventure guides, transportation, and accomodations. I would go on another ABD in a heartbeat. When I first made the reservations I felt "Buyer's Remorse" thinking it was way too expensive. Well, it was worth every penny.

To be honest, this was the first tour we have taken, so I have nothing to compare it to. But I found the attention to detail phenomenal. The days were scheduled so that there was no wasted time. For example, during our walking tour of ancient Rome we had lunch in a trattoria between sights. We entered the restaurant and the salads were waiting for us. We never had to search out restrooms, look for maps, wait in line to purchase tickets, wait for local tour guides etc. It all happened efficiently and seemlessly.

Disney gave us an experience unique to each location. Rather than just take us to the sights, we were provided with stories, food, activites, that fit Rome, Tuscany and Venice. It wasn't just Italian food, it was Roman food in Rome, Tuscan food and wine in Tuscany and traveling and shopping like a Venetian in Venice.

We had 17 kids, ranging from 6 to 16 on our trip. I'm sure the younger ones found the walking tours/museums a bit tedious, but that doesn't mean they didn't have a good time. There was free time each day to tailor your vacation. One family took their young daughter to the zoo, we took our kids to the Harry Potter movie, others visited additional museums or shopped. In Tuscany, the young kids had a great time running in the grass and kicking a soccer ball with the owners grandson-it didn't matter that the boy spoke no english. This trip was ideal for our 11, 14, and 15 year olds. They were old enough to appreciate the sights and could connect what they learned on the tour to what they learned in the classroom. The walking can be up to 3-4 miles a day and I think Disney recommends kids be 6 or older. Definitely no toddlers. Pushing a stroller would be a nightmare-cobbled, uneven streets, crowds, stairs, narrow alleys, and cafes/restaurants without room. Venice, my favorite, is plain impossible for strollers and wheelchairs.

I hope I have not bored you with my ramblings. I guess you could say I am still in awe of our trip. I hoped to provide enough info to help with your planning and expectations, but I tried to keep a few secrets. We were pleasantly surprised several times, and I didn't want to spoil that for anyone. I'll be happy to answer questions.

OOPs, I do have one complaint- It was unbelievable how many people, individuals and members of other tours, would rudely ignore the NO PHOTOGRAPHY signs and stand in front of a work of art and flash away. It is a big pet peeve of mine to see people think the rules don't apply to them. When it is explained that flashes destroy artwork, and they do it anyway.....I just wanted to scream or grab their cameras. Here we were in the Sistine Chapel, gazing up, and the Swiss Guard has to keep yelling "NO PHOTOS". It kind of ruined the moment. And it wasn't just here, but at every museum we visited. I just don't get it.

Thank you very much for your report! We are going on the "La Costa Bella" tour the last week of September, and this is our first tour, also. (We've never traveled abroad, either.)

It's my confidence in Disney that convinced me to pay the extra $$ to tour with ABD... I'm so glad to hear you feel that way.... "after" your tour!

Thanks again!

I just finished reading all four parts of your tour. What an amazing experience you and your family had. On of these days I'll take on of the European offerings of ABD, however they'll need to stop offering such interesting offerings in the US first!
I can tell you from experience with other tours that ABD is the best-hands down!

Thank you so much for posting! This is the tour we are thinking of taking, so hearing your report is a great help.

Thanks for posting your detailed trip report. The trip sounds wonderful. I'll have to add that one to the ABD trips I want to take in the future.

This had to be our trip as well! We are a mother and daughter from Texas. What a great trip report, I couldn't have said it better myself. It really was a fantastic trip and such an incredibly nice group of people. We really had the greatest time and we are both thinking about doing another Adventure by Disney next year. The only thing I would add is that I really don't think this is the best choice for younger kids. The kids on our trip were great, but I think they really need to be a little older to appreciate all the art and history. As much as Disney tried, I think the little kids qot quite bored in parts. It is hot in the summer, and there is a lot of walking. That said it was an absolutely fabulous trip. The hotel in Rome was gorgeous and our guides were the best. We LOVED every second.

Wow...wow...wow...what a great trip report. The trip sounds so great and I can't wait to go for myself. Thank you so much for your detailed report. I hope that when I come back I can do the same. It will be my first tour and also my first trip to Europe. I have a feeling that I have started something...hope my husband can afford me :rotfl2:

What a great report. Even though we took the same trip at different times, it was great reading and remembering. I second every single comment in your post.

This was a trip of a lifetime for us too and we had extremely high expectations because of the cost and fact that it was associated with Disney. This was also our first guided tour and despised the thought of them in the past. This trip exceeded all our expectations and we're already planning to go on another ABD adventure next year possibly.

I can't say enough about the guides. By the end of the trip, they felt like we were leaving a part of our extended family. We've heard from both our guides through e-mail since we arrived home. I really don't know how Disney finds these folks. They really bring the magic to life, and there wasn't a ride or amusement park in sight. I would book another tour with our guides in a heartbeat. In fact, since we have their e-mail address, we may try and coordinate with their schedule before we book again.

We took our 18 year old daughter on this trip as a graduation present and our 25th wedding anniversary...at least that's how we tried to justify it. I agree that even though there were kids in our group that ranged from 6 to 18, I believe the kids and adults get more out of it when they are a little older. All the kids were great, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, the parents that had younger kids always went back to the hotel to rest and swim when there was free time. For us, we may not make it back to Italy for a long time, and we wanted to see and do as much as we could while we were there...and we did.

Hey thanks for the great report!!! I have a question, I am also a mom to 3 kids and was wondering if you had to take a 2nd room in any of the cities. I read about your 2 bdrm villa that sounds incredible. I always hesitate about the pricing with 3 kids.

Thanks

Isyt- Unfortunately, the five of us had to have two rooms in each location. We were given adjacent hotel rooms in Rome and Venice. Traveling with 3 children is very expensive. They will not allow more than 4 to a room no matter how young or small the kids are. On the plus side, you then have two bathrooms.

I think this would be a trip of a lifetime for us also and would love to do any of them. I am assuming they priced you guys as a double and triple? When I think of airfare I will be saving for a long time (although I am sure worth it)!!
Thanks again!

californialady,
Thanks for such a great trip report. It is almost a full year before my DH and I take this same trip (June 08):hourglass , but we really enjoyed your report.:coffee: I can hardly wait! Thanks for all the details. I have been searching for quite a while for reviews from some who have done one of the ABD trips and this forum really is great. We have been planning for several years now to make this trip and after much research have reserved our place with Disney for Viva Italia.

Californialady,
Thanks for all the info. Our daughter will be just turning 13 by the time we take this trip (2009). Did your 14 y.o. go with the Jr.Adventurers, or stay with the adults? Also, my husband is worried there will be too much "disney and mickey mouse" infused into this vacation. Any insight into that would be appreciated.

mwebsite:

My 14 year old went with the junior adventurers. Of the three, she had the hardest time fitting in: too mature for the young ones, not ready for wine tasting with the 15-16 year olds. She is also slow to warm up to others. But by Venice, she was socializing with a couple of 13 year olds, and I wished the tour lasted a couple of more days. That being said, she still had a wonderful time. The five of us tended to do family things on our free time. I did mention to ABD in our survey that grouping all kids 14 and under in one group is not ideal. It wasn't bad per se, just not ideal. There was only one night where the kids were together and the parents had their adult only meal. Every other night meals are served family style and the groupings at the tables were very fluid, so sometimes our kids ate with us, sometimes with friends. The activities and tours were done as total groups with the exception of the Coliseum, so there were only two instances where the junior adventurers were not with their parents.

I had to laugh at your husband's concerns. When I first mentioned this to my husband he wanted verification that we wouldn't be on a big red bus with mouse ears painted on it. The "Disney" is very understated. The guides wear polo shirts everyday with an Adventure by Disney logo. In order to keep the group from getting separated, the guide in the front carried a white sign, fairly small, with the ABD logo. We teased him about his arm getting tired. Boy, did we rely on that sign during the city walking tours. You will not see Mickey or his pals anywhere. The backpacks and tote bags have the ABD logo, not mouse ears, and you don't have to carry them if you don't want to. So, you can reassure your husband!

Hope this answers your questions.

californialady,
Thanks so much for the additional info. Guess we'll have to wait and see what our then 13yo wants to do, as am sure her attitude at that age will change by the week/day/hour! Also, I've reassured my husband that we won't all be wearing mouse ears!

Just thought I would add by 2 cents. We went on the Viva trip in July 2007 and had a wonderful time.
In July it was very hot in Rome and cooler as you headed north. Cannot say enough about the guides, itinerary and people we met.

Our family group consisted of 3 generations of family (8 in total). The ages spanned from 14 to 76 and all had the time of their lives. It is a lot of walking but the old ones were able to rest when needed and the guides were great at keeping them going and keeping an eye on them.

My 14 year old was coded as a junior adventurer due to her age but she only did a few activities with them. Mature and very shy. My 16 year old had a blast! He was the oldest of the children and had a great time talking with the entire group. Many in the group were multi generations as well. His social skills are very good and he enjoyed talking to kids, adults and grandparents of all the rest of the group.

I was nervous at first but was confident Disney would take care of us. WOW. It was an unbelievable, a memory filled adventure that the family is still talking about. Disney costs but it is worth it. I am convinced I could not have done a trip like this with the crew we had by myself or with another tour.

Last note, the people in our group on the tour was fabulous. Everybody just clicked and got to know each other, which made the whole experience even better. In fact, two of the other families we met have talked us into another trip next year. We are off to London and Paris next summer and I am sure it will be another vacation of a lifetime thanks to Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter