• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Viva Italia-priceless! Part 2

Californialady

Earning My Ears
Tuscany-Today's Theme: Etruscan Roots

Luggage was to be outside hotel room by 7:15. Next time we saw it, it was in our villa. I love that we don't have to hassle with bags during our moves.

We boarded our bus, with Reno as our driver again. We stopped in Orvieto, a medieval town at the top of a hill. We had just a couple of hours here to explore. We would have liked more time, but that could be said of everywhere we went. If you want to see the inside of the church, knees and shoulders must be covered (same in Rome, Florence and Venice). Our family had lunch, then shopped. If you want unique ceramics, this is the place. There were lots of little shops with dozens of beautiful pieces. I am eagerly awaiting the pieces I shipped home.

By 4:00 or so, we were at The Villa Belvedere, our lodging for three nights. I can't begin to describe the beauty here. We were on a hilltop, with olive orchards, grape vineyards, cyprus trees and sunflower fields spread out below us. In the distance you could see the lights of Florence. The Villa was chosen for it's rustic atmosphere as well as its location. In tours past, a complaint was that the time in Florence was too short. By switching villas, we gained an hour or two in Florence. The adventure guides felt it was a big improvement.

We had a huge suite for the five of us with 2 bedrooms and kitchen/living area and 2 baths. And views from the windows. Our building was a ways up the hill, about half our group was here. It was a lovely 5 minute walk along the grapes to get to the main buildings-with a gorgeous view to gaze upon.

Dinner this night was divided. Marco and Cinzia took the 14 and unders for dinner and games and a movie on the grounds. The older kids and adults had a wine tasting lesson in the garden. We then dined in the wine cellar. It was a long, lovely meal.

Next Day Theme-Tuscan Holiday.

Hooray, we got to sleep in until 8:00! Breakfast at the villa, then the bus to Castello Vicchiomaggio. Reno the bus drivier is a magician on those narrow twisty roads. He received applause on a couple of occassions. We thought our villa was beautiful, the castle was even more so.

Pasta Making: very fun, everyone enjoyed it. We then had a tour of the wine making facility while the diningroom was prepared for our lunch. Delicious again!

The afternoon was ours:naps for many, swimming for some, but much needed relaxing for all. After cross country flights and Rome, this was a welcome respite.

Dinner was an authentic Tuscan BBQ, served in the garden. We watched the sunset as we drank wine and enjoyed the meal. The kids were choosing to sit with each other instead of mom and dad and everyone was enjoying the experience.

Next day: Romance and Renaissance:

Reno drove us to Florence. Elena, the local expert met us equipped us with radios again, and we headed straight for the Academy to gaze upon Michealangelo's "David". From there, we had about a 1 hour walking tour of the city, covering the highlights:the outside of the Duomo and Baptistry, the ponte vecchio, some history etc. Some people opted to skip this portion as our visit was so short. Elena took us down narrow alleys that were shaded and less crowded. Our family had lunch, then an hour and half to shop. Now, we could have shopped more as the outdoor markets were fun to browse and bargain. Here is where you buy leather and gold jewelry. It was unanimous that the day was too short-Florence needs more time than half a day. Walking back to the bus, it was 104 degrees. We were all so glad to see Reno! My pedometer registered 3.3 miles today.

Dinner was a buffet outside in the garden. Our last night in Tuscany.

Thank you Californialady once again! Did they change villas for Tuscany cause I thought we are staying at Borgo San Luigi? It sounds like the one you stayed at is lovely. We leave September 26th, can't wait! Do you have pictures????

Ronny-half our paperwork said the Borgo, the other half Villa Belvedere. It was confusing, but I figured Disney knew what it was doing. I'm sure either place will be lovely. I had absolutely no complaints about the villa. I have hundreds of photos, but no posting skills. Maybe my teenager can help my later.

You are very smart to arrive a couple of days early. That cross atlantic flight and nine hour time difference from the west coast is brutal. Your weather should be ideal too. Also, the crowds will be smaller. The joke was that there were more tourists in Rome than Romans (as many Italians go on holiday in JUly and august). I will make my next visit in May or Sept/Oct. I am excited for you.

I see you are from Sunnyvale? Where is that? I will miss our yearly trip to California this year. I love California. We usually do a week at Disneyland and then head to Palm Springs. Can't afford it this year with our Adventure By Disney. .Yes, we will get there three days early and we will fly from Venice to London for three days. I am looking forward to the rest of your trip report!

Thanks again for the lovely report!

Hi Ronny! Not to long now!:goodvibes

Hello to you, Disneytraveler! I am keeping track of how long by your ticker! Am soooooooooooooooo excited!:yay:

Thank you so much for posting your trip report. We've been so busy since we came back from Italy, I haven't had a chance to post our report.

It's great to be able to compare the trips. It's interesting that you changed hotels. We stay at the lovely Borgo San Luigi (as Marco described it). I'm sure you did gain a few more hours in Florence. We found out later that the Borgo is actually in the outskirts of Sienna. A couple of people actually took a cab into Siena one night, but it was expensive.

Not sure, but the hotel you stayed at sounded like where we had our Tuscan BBQ. Several people in our group commented that we should have stayed there. However, we really enjoyed the Borgo so I can't complain.

The food was amazing and the rooms were quaint and quite...other than the Nissan convention that took over the other half of the hotel. Located in the middle of a vineyard with a cypress lined road with lavender plants leading to the hotel was breathtaking. It reminded us of Russell Crowe's home in "Gladiator"...during the happier part of the movie.

Our driver was Mierco. He too must have graduated from the same driving school. Nerves of steel and he drove that Mercedes bus like it was a Smart Car.

Pasta making with Chef Tonya at Castle Vicciomaggio was one of the highlights of the trip. My favorite was the pasta with wild boar, but all three types were out of this world.

Tuscany-Today's Theme: Etruscan Roots

Luggage was to be outside hotel room by 7:15. Next time we saw it, it was in our villa. I love that we don't have to hassle with bags during our moves.

We boarded our bus, with Reno as our driver again. We stopped in Orvieto, a medieval town at the top of a hill. We had just a couple of hours here to explore. We would have liked more time, but that could be said of everywhere we went. If you want to see the inside of the church, knees and shoulders must be covered (same in Rome, Florence and Venice). Our family had lunch, then shopped. If you want unique ceramics, this is the place. There were lots of little shops with dozens of beautiful pieces. I am eagerly awaiting the pieces I shipped home.

By 4:00 or so, we were at The Villa Belvedere, our lodging for three nights. I can't begin to describe the beauty here. We were on a hilltop, with olive orchards, grape vineyards, cyprus trees and sunflower fields spread out below us. In the distance you could see the lights of Florence. The Villa was chosen for it's rustic atmosphere as well as its location. In tours past, a complaint was that the time in Florence was too short. By switching villas, we gained an hour or two in Florence. The adventure guides felt it was a big improvement.

We had a huge suite for the five of us with 2 bedrooms and kitchen/living area and 2 baths. And views from the windows. Our building was a ways up the hill, about half our group was here. It was a lovely 5 minute walk along the grapes to get to the main buildings-with a gorgeous view to gaze upon.

Dinner this night was divided. Marco and Cinzia took the 14 and unders for dinner and games and a movie on the grounds. The older kids and adults had a wine tasting lesson in the garden. We then dined in the wine cellar. It was a long, lovely meal.

Next Day Theme-Tuscan Holiday.

Hooray, we got to sleep in until 8:00! Breakfast at the villa, then the bus to Castello Vicchiomaggio. Reno the bus drivier is a magician on those narrow twisty roads. He received applause on a couple of occassions. We thought our villa was beautiful, the castle was even more so.

Pasta Making: very fun, everyone enjoyed it. We then had a tour of the wine making facility while the diningroom was prepared for our lunch. Delicious again!

The afternoon was ours:naps for many, swimming for some, but much needed relaxing for all. After cross country flights and Rome, this was a welcome respite.

Dinner was an authentic Tuscan BBQ, served in the garden. We watched the sunset as we drank wine and enjoyed the meal. The kids were choosing to sit with each other instead of mom and dad and everyone was enjoying the experience.

Next day: Romance and Renaissance:

Reno drove us to Florence. Elena, the local expert met us equipped us with radios again, and we headed straight for the Academy to gaze upon Michealangelo's "David". From there, we had about a 1 hour walking tour of the city, covering the highlights:the outside of the Duomo and Baptistry, the ponte vecchio, some history etc. Some people opted to skip this portion as our visit was so short. Elena took us down narrow alleys that were shaded and less crowded. Our family had lunch, then an hour and half to shop. Now, we could have shopped more as the outdoor markets were fun to browse and bargain. Here is where you buy leather and gold jewelry. It was unanimous that the day was too short-Florence needs more time than half a day. Walking back to the bus, it was 104 degrees. We were all so glad to see Reno! My pedometer registered 3.3 miles today.

Dinner was a buffet outside in the garden. Our last night in Tuscany.

Hi Californialady,

Thanks for your very informative trip report. I was wondering if you or anyone brought more than 1 piece of luggage per person? I know ABD requests 1 per person, but buying all those souvenirs must start to fill up whatever space is left in your luagge, not to mention all the stuff you already have from the trip...

I think everyone kept to the one bag rule, though I am not positive. Of course we accumulated things during, so when we switched locations, the guides always asked if anyone needed another luggage tag.

If you can stick to the one bag, that would be ideal. The villa does not have elevators and those men had to get everything up and down some steep stairs. They also have to transport them from truck to train to gondola getting to Venice.

Don't worry about packing umbrellas or ponchos, those were waiting for us when we checked in in Rome. Gosh darn, now I have ruined the surprise.

I think everyone kept to the one bag rule, though I am not positive. Of course we accumulated things during, so when we switched locations, the guides always asked if anyone needed another luggage tag.

If you can stick to the one bag, that would be ideal. The villa does not have elevators and those men had to get everything up and down some steep stairs. They also have to transport them from truck to train to gondola getting to Venice.

Don't worry about packing umbrellas or ponchos, those were waiting for us when we checked in in Rome. Gosh darn, now I have ruined the surprise.

Hi CAlady, no you didn't ruin any ABD surprises... we just returned from the Spirit of America tour and we received a number of goodies upon check-in too... and the ABD guides passed out umbrellas & ponchos when we arrived at the National Zoo & there was a threat of rain.

Thanks for the baggage info... we will certainly do our best to limit our luggage to 1 per person, especially since I now know how hard it is to move stuff around for the bellmen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter