Viva Italia Free Afternoons

mapsd

Mouseketeer
For the Viva Italia veterans:

What did you do on your free afternoons in Rome,Florence,Venice?
Were you too "toured out" to take other guided excursions? Find things more laid back to do?
Is there something in these cities that's a "can't miss" & isn't on the ABD tour?

Are the kids ready for a siesta?

Gee, I've been hoping there would be some great ideas on here since we are on the 10/13/11 Adventure. I'll just keep watching and waiting.:surfweb:

While I cannot comment on either Venice or Rome for the reason that we had no free time there, I can offer some insight on Florence. There shopping there is beyond amazing!! There is the awesome open air market, plus all the fabulous shops! Leather and gold are the "specialty" items there (I really, really regret not buying a black gold necklace). Also my favorite gelato of the trip was in Florence. I think we had 3 hours on our own and I didn't think it was enough:goodvibes.

You will have an absolute blast with your free time no matter how you decide to spend it!

Our free time in Rome was spent walking around. The first day we just walked around and found the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps (which were also part of our tour the next day). In the evenings, we walked around and ate at little cafes and saw the Trevi Fountain at night. On the one afternoon, we found a Steelers bar in Rome and had a couple of drinks there and then walked back to our hotel. You can also take an open air bus tour through Rome (and I believe you are still provided a free pass for this by ABD).

In Tuscany, instead of relaxing at the resort, there were 21 of us that did a trip on our own to Pisa. It was quite the adventure. I am thrilled that I got to see The Leaning Tower of Pisa, but I have to be quite honest, I don't know if I would do that again if I had the choice. The guides can help you with the arrangements, but that is it...the rest is on your own. In Florence, if you like to shop, this is the place. Leather is of the highest quality and you will pay less for a high quality leather coat in Florence than you will pay for a cheap leather coat in the US.

In Venice, there wasn't enough time to actually do a trip to Murano (unless you are staying extra days). We just walked around Venice and enjoyed it uniqueness and beauty. I wish I had extra days in Venice as I just loved it. Walking around in Venice, getting lost, eating in one of the many many restaurants while people watching. The guides will give you plenty of ideas of things to do on your own.

It's a fabulous trip and you definitely get to see lots and lots of things via the tours, but just walking around and people watching is half the fun for us.

Our free time in Rome was spent walking around. The first day we just walked around and found the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps (which were also part of our tour the next day). In the evenings, we walked around and ate at little cafes and saw the Trevi Fountain at night. On the one afternoon, we found a Steelers bar in Rome and had a couple of drinks there and then walked back to our hotel. You can also take an open air bus tour through Rome (and I believe you are still provided a free pass for this by ABD).

In Tuscany, instead of relaxing at the resort, there were 21 of us that did a trip on our own to Pisa. It was quite the adventure. I am thrilled that I got to see The Leaning Tower of Pisa, but I have to be quite honest, I don't know if I would do that again if I had the choice. The guides can help you with the arrangements, but that is it...the rest is on your own. In Florence, if you like to shop, this is the place. Leather is of the highest quality and you will pay less for a high quality leather coat in Florence than you will pay for a cheap leather coat in the US.

In Venice, there wasn't enough time to actually do a trip to Murano (unless you are staying extra days). We just walked around Venice and enjoyed it uniqueness and beauty. I wish I had extra days in Venice as I just loved it. Walking around in Venice, getting lost, eating in one of the many many restaurants while people watching. The guides will give you plenty of ideas of things to do on your own.

It's a fabulous trip and you definitely get to see lots and lots of things via the tours, but just walking around and people watching is half the fun for us.

Wow!! A Steelers :cheer2: bar! Do you have any idea where it was or how we might find it? We are BIG Steelers fans, and would love to have a drink :drinking1and our photo taken there for our son who lives in Mt. Lebanon (south hills).

Wow!! A Steelers :cheer2: bar! Do you have any idea where it was or how we might find it? We are BIG Steelers fans, and would love to have a drink :drinking1and our photo taken there for our son who lives in Mt. Lebanon (south hills).
Makes me think of John Grisham's Playing for Pizza. I seem to recall there being an Italian Steelers fan mentioned.
(reading it also made me incredibly hungry for Italian cuisine)

The bar is called La Boticella. It's very near Piazza Novana (which was part of our Day 2 Walking tour). Actually when you are at Piazza Novana, there is an Gelato place in the center (it's on the corner of the square and another road). If you walk down that road approx 200 or so yards, it'll be on your left. While everyone else rode the bus back in the afternoon, we found La Boticella and then walked back after having a couple of beers. It was a bit of a hike, but for me to say I was at a Steelers bar in Rome was well worth it. It was probably about a mile back to our hotel. The owner is great and I got a great t-shirt while there (it's actually the one the owner is wearing in one of the pictures on my website). You can see pictures of the bar if you go to my website and scroll down to almost the bottom of the page on the attached link. At least you'll know what you are looking for. BTW, it was pretty easy to get back.

http://web.me.com/sedlacko/Sedlacko/Day_2_-_Walking_Tour.html

The bar is called La Boticella. It's very near Piazza Novana (which was part of our Day 2 Walking tour). Actually when you are at Piazza Novana, there is an Gelato place in the center (it's on the corner of the square and another road). If you walk down that road approx 200 or so yards, it'll be on your left. While everyone else rode the bus back in the afternoon, we found La Boticella and then walked back after having a couple of beers. It was a bit of a hike, but for me to say I was at a Steelers bar in Rome was well worth it. It was probably about a mile back to our hotel. The owner is great and I got a great t-shirt while there (it's actually the one the owner is wearing in one of the pictures on my website). You can see pictures of the bar if you go to my website and scroll down to almost the bottom of the page on the attached link. At least you'll know what you are looking for. BTW, it was pretty easy to get back.

http://web.me.com/sedlacko/Sedlacko/Day_2_-_Walking_Tour.html

Thanks for the info. I got so :banana: excited looking at your photos. We can hardly stand the anticipation, but can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Sooo...close to turning the page on the calendar and seeing that big circle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter