Vitamin D - do you take it? How much?

tink_n_pooh

<font color=darkorchid>my TP isn't going anywhere.
My doctor recently asked me if I take vitamin D and I was very excited to inform her that yes I do :thumbsup2 (I'm terrible with multi vitamins). When I told her that I take 5000 IU's every day or every other day she thought I was nuts :scared1: She says that she normally recommends that much every week or every two weeks. Ooops :rolleyes1

Anyway, she tested my vitamin D level and it came back in the normal limits. I didn't ask the number but she did say it was closer to the lower end then the max end. I can only imagine what the number would be if I were not supplementing.

How many other DISers are taking Vitamin D and how much? Did you doc recommend it?

Yes, I'm taking 1000/day of Vit. D. My level was low the last time it was checked. :goodvibes

I take 50,000 IU's weekly and 1,000 IU's daily. Yes, I am vitamin d deficient. Normal is something like between 32 and 100 and my numbers came back at 19!! :scared1: That's way too low. He said with numbers as low as mine, taking the 50,000 IU weekly and 1,000 IU daily (so 57,000 IU weekly) will cause me no harm.

My level was 19 also (just had it checked at the beginning of the month). My doctor said that she wants me at 50.

I take a multi-vitamin daily, as well as this vitamin-D supplement :

http://www.drugstore.com/wellesse-vitamin-d3-liquid/qxp208940?fromsrch=vitamin+d+liquid

She said to start with 1 dose/day and work my way up to 2-3/day.

Last time I took a vitamin-D pill, I broke out in hives, so she recommended the liquid instead. It is not too awful tasting.

I tested on the low end a couple months ago(18) and have been taking 50,000 IU every other week. I was supposed to go back 10 days ago to get rechecked but haven't been able to get there. Hopefully this week I can get rechecked

I have a Vit D deficiency... so I take 50,000 IU once a week, and 4,000 IU every day. That amount keeps me in the "normal" range.

Right now I'm taking 100,000 a week -- 50,000 on Wednesday and Friday. Very Vitamin deficient (would love to have had the 19 mentioned on this thread).

My level was just tested and came back at 13 so I'm on 50,000/week (once a week) for 8 weeks...then he wants me taking 2,000 daily. I'm not sure when I have to go back for more bloodwork to have my level re-checked.

I take 50,000 IU's weekly and 1,000 IU's daily. Yes, I am vitamin d deficient. Normal is something like between 32 and 100 and my numbers came back at 19!! :scared1: That's way too low. He said with numbers as low as mine, taking the 50,000 IU weekly and 1,000 IU daily (so 57,000 IU weekly) will cause me no harm.

I know what you mean. I've been taking 50,000IU for about a year now and my level is finally UP to 23 (from 3 :scared1:)
Thankfully, there seem to be no side effects other than increased energy and less depression. :goodvibes

Just wanted to add my .02 cents...

I too was diagnosed last year with a Vitamin D deficicency. Before I started taking the high dose Vitamin D prescription given to me by my GYN. I asked the pharmacist about it. She stated that doctors need to be more informed about vitamins and their effects in the human body. My pharmacist told me to call my doctor and ask if I could try OTC Vitamin D3 before I tried the high dose Vitamin D2 prescribed. This is a snipet of a website my pharmacist directed me (and my doctor to)..

"Vitamin D2 is known as ergocalciferol. It is not normally found in the body and has no purpose in humans. Ergocalciferol is obtained from radiating yeast and is often the vitamin D that is in supplements. Vitamin D2 can be converted into calcitriol, but vitamin D3 is more than 3 times as effective as vitamin D2 in the body. Consequently, many supplements are trending away from using vitamin D2."

The high dose prescriptions are D2 (you can get D3 over the counter). My GYN is great and went and read up on the difference between D2 and D3 and allowed me to try the D3 first. It worked great and I still take it daily a year later. My levels were back to normal in a few months and my main symptom (hair loss) has greatly improved. My bathtub drain is no longer clogged by my hair. Yes, there is still a little as we all lose hair daily, but I used to clean out a half dollar size clog daily, but no more!!

All I am saying is don't blindly trust your doctor knows everything, it is your body and each of us should investigate before we start a new med or vitamin. May save you money and time.

I take 600 units twice a day (along with my calcium). Had the vita D levels tested last month, and nurse didn't tell me the exact number, but said it was "excellent" and my bone density had increased!:thumbsup2

Was taking about 2000 and my numbers came back a bit low so I bumped up to 4000 per day and haven't been tested since so it will be interesting to see what the results are.

Just wanted to add my .02 cents...

I too was diagnosed last year with a Vitamin D deficicency. Before I started taking the high dose Vitamin D prescription given to me by my GYN. I asked the pharmacist about it. She stated that doctors need to be more informed about vitamins and their effects in the human body. My pharmacist told me to call my doctor and ask if I could try OTC Vitamin D3 before I tried the high dose Vitamin D2 prescribed. This is a snipet of a website my pharmacist directed me (and my doctor to)..

"Vitamin D2 is known as ergocalciferol. It is not normally found in the body and has no purpose in humans. Ergocalciferol is obtained from radiating yeast and is often the vitamin D that is in supplements. Vitamin D2 can be converted into calcitriol, but vitamin D3 is more than 3 times as effective as vitamin D2 in the body. Consequently, many supplements are trending away from using vitamin D2."

The high dose prescriptions are D2 (you can get D3 over the counter). My GYN is great and went and read up on the difference between D2 and D3 and allowed me to try the D3 first. It worked great and I still take it daily a year later. My levels were back to normal in a few months and my main symptom (hair loss) has greatly improved. My bathtub drain is no longer clogged by my hair. Yes, there is still a little as we all lose hair daily, but I used to clean out a half dollar size clog daily, but no more!!

All I am saying is don't blindly trust your doctor knows everything, it is your body and each of us should investigate before we start a new med or vitamin. May save you money and time.

wow! I have a ton of hair loss too. I don't necessarily think my hair looks thinner, but my tub drain is full every time I wash my hair. I'm not sure I knew that it was a symptom of vit D deficiency. it doesn't seem to have improved since i started the Vit D pills though...I really need to get my level rechecked this week. Will have to look into the D3 you suggested.

I am prescribed 50,000 IUI every other day while also taking Rocaltrol 50 mgs 3 times a day:rolleyes1 It's the pits :headache: I have on this for 6 years now. my levels are never higher then 9:scared1: Talk about tingling and being numb:sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter