Vistana experts needed!

We were in the Lakes section at the end of May and loved it. We got a gift certificate for one week's stay at any RCI property from some friends of ours, and after some searching, I picked Vistana. Our unit was on the ground floor. It had a screened porch right off the living area which overlooked a lake. The beds were comfortable and they had lots of extra pillows in the closets. We were able to park in front of our unit the whole week.
And getting to the parks was a breeze. I will definately drive to all the parks except MK even if I do stay onsite again. I signed up for the Diamond Lane check-in and requested a unit in a building with elevators because of knee surgery. We checked in around 9:00 AM on a Sunday. The Diamond Lane check-in was not open yet, but there was only 1 couple in front of us at the main line. And they did not direct us to the gift packet for a timeshare presentation. They did call and leave a message on the phone in the unit, but we just ignored it and so did they!
We will definately stay at Vistana again. I might even try the Vistana Villages next time!

I was sent a confirmation letter stating that are unit # is 1866. I was told that was a top floor Lakes unit by a very nice fellow Diser. Is that definately our unit? I don't want to get too excited yet. I am araid they might pull a switcharoo on us.
Tara

Tara, they could switch it on you. Unfortunately, Vistana reserves the right to do this and you could be switched. There's no way to tell for sure. Are you an exchanger or a renter ?

Tara,
Exchangers "tend" to get the last choices. Not saying this to dampen your hopes, but rather to encourage you to use the Diamond Lane form and request either Lakes or Cascades. The villa number that is on your reservation form could be there simply for technical purposes. We banked through RCI one time and had to do an exchange into Vistana. The room number listed on the form was a Springs unit. When I called Vistana to ask them about this, they explained the number on the reservation form is not necessarily where we'll be placed. When we arrived we were placed in the Fountains.
http://www.starwoodvo.com/resorts/guests.jsp?resortID=5

We just made our reservation thru Interval International and they assigned us room number 1804. We have never done this before since we just bought our timeshare in June. Does anyone know where/which unit this may be in? :crazy:

Slenderella,
That is the Lakes section. But, Vistana does not necessarily place guests according to what is stated on the reservation form---they reserve the right to make changes. Most exchange companies will list a villa number on the reservation form. I'd suggest you fill out the Diamond Lane form about 1-2 weeks prior to arrival to make your requests.

I think with II they are guaranteed to be in either the Lakes or Cascades - but you are an owner and know more. :)

We stayed in Springs and I loved it!!! very nice - the rooms were bigger than what is shown in the link from Mia.

the master was alot bigger!!!

The Fountains I and the Springs are both 1,280 sq ft. While theFountains II is 1,211 sq ft and the Lakes is 1,230 and the Cascades are even slightly smaller than the Lakes. So Spicey is right....on average, the older units are definitely larger.

I think with II they are guaranteed to be in either the Lakes or Cascades - but you are an owner and know more.
Spiceycat, I missed this statement in your last post. I've only traded through RCI with Vistana so not sure if II's policies are different. I hope so for Tara's sake.

I read my Intervale confirmation carefully. At the top it reads
Sheraton Vistana Resort
the address
Tel #
(cascades and Lakes)

That must mean that Spiceycat is right. Intervale members only get cascades and Lakes section. I am very happy! :cool1:
Tara

Intervale members only get cascades and Lakes section. I am very happy!
Boy, that's pretty convenient ! I'm happy for you, but it just ticks me a bit. As an owner, we get discounted rental rates. One year I booked an extra 2 nights to add on to our 7 night week we own. They placed me (and owner) in the older Spas. I had tried to get it changed but they said there was nothing they could do. I requested the Fountains where I own or newer. Felt this was the least they could afford an owner there. Anyway......just seems funny that exchangers get the new sections ;) I have nothing at all against you getting the Cascades or Lakes Tara---I'm happy for you. Just wish Vistana would extend the same courtesy to us owners. Also.....wonder how the Cascades/Lakes owners feel about this ? I find it a tad difficult to believe that every II exchange is made simply based on the fact that a Cascades or Lakes owner has traded out. Sounds like Vistana automatically just gives every II exchange the newer units and this is probably so II can keep up it's reputation I'm thinking ? Maybe too many people complained about the older units ?

I can understand your frustration. It seems to me that Vistana owners should have the upperhand when it comes to villa selection. It must be the bargining power of II. Maybe they did have complaints or maybe that was a predetermined thing? :confused3 The lady from II explained to me that I had to be flexible because these were from banked weeks of other members. They gave me the only slot they had available for the week I asked for. I think that it is good for II members to know that they put their members in the newest sections but your right you should definately get that same treatment as that is your home resort. Looks like you will have to do some investigating as to why your request was not granted.
Tara

I wonder what sections people who booked through spg. or sheraton get? I book through spg. about 8 months ago. :rolleyes:

Looks like you will have to do some investigating as to why your request was not granted.
I did actually follow-up on this Tara. When we got home from that particular vacation I phoned Vistana management and complained. They agreed that I should not have been placed in the Spas and granted me a full refund for those two nights. As nice as that was, I would have preferred to have just paid and been placed in the Fountains. I recall being quite aggrivated with how we were treated that day. A couple years later when we decided we needed to purchase more timeshare time, we went with DVC. As much as we enjoy our stays at Vistana, they lost us as far as purchasing more time there.

MiaSRN62 said:
I find it a tad difficult to believe that every II exchange is made simply based on the fact that a Cascades or Lakes owner has traded out.
Not every section of Vistana is dual-affiliated with both RCI and II. It is done by section, not by the resort as a whole. I believe II also has two different resort numbers for the resort. Possibly one number is for the Lakes and Cascades units and the other is for the rest.

I don't have the best memory in the world, but when we bought into the Fountains in 1996, I believe all sections were RCI only. I also have a vaque recollection of mention being made of each section voting on whether to stay with RCI, quit RCI and join II, or become dual-affiliated. Fountains is dual-affiliated.

Sheila

I've read this thread from top to bottom as we are off to Vistana as a guest in a couple of weeks. We have a guest certificate on an exchange--it says nothing about a location, other than the vacation destination as vistana, address, phone #..and a 2BR unit. This was done through RCI --I did do the express checkin and requested Cascades, Lakes, non-smoking. What are my chances for anything good??? Princess Di princess:

I believe II also has two different resort numbers for the resort. Possibly one number is for the Lakes and Cascades units and the other is for the rest.
This is interesting Shelia and may very well be the case. Sort of like what I said earlier with II wanted to keep up it's reputation, thus affiliating only with the newer units.

You are right about the Fountains being dual affiliated---I own here. Every year or so I get mailings from both RCI and II wanting us to join. We rarely join either because we tend to mostly use our Vistana week and not trade out. But I have heard II trades a little better (nicer resorts). We have several relatives in the area so our vacations always include side trips to visit them. Pretty much all of my remaining family is in FL and our yearly trips to WDW are the only times we get to see them.

Princess Di, there's no way to know. I'd say your chances are about 50/50. But since you traded thru RCI, you are open to being placed in any of the units on the resort. The most you could do was to make your requests known and hope for the best which you did. Good luck and have a great time :banana:
We're heading off to Vistana in a couple weeks as well :flower:

I have been reading some reviews on Vistana on the trip advisor. I read that some of the older sections are very nice. I also heard a lady complain that her Lakes unit was very dated. I thought Lakes was pretty new? How old are the Lakes and cascade sections? I find that many people get easily disapionted while on vacation so it is hard to really believe a lot of these reviews.
Tara

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter