Visiting Yosemite and ....?

rnorwo1

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking of a trip to Yosemite next summer. This is a very long flight for us, so I would like to combine it with something else while we are out that way. We've already been to CA twice, we visited anaheim, SD, SF, and Napa/Sonoma, so we would like to do something else. I am also on a mission to see all 50 states, and we haven't been to any of the surrounding states. Our kids will be 13, 9, and 6 then. We like typical kid friendly-educational activities, and we love kid-friendly hiking and outdoor activities. My first thought was to fly into Las Vegas and then drive down to Yosemite, with some stops along the way. Then, I thought about Oregon and/or Washington, possibly. We will likely have somewhere between 10-14 days.
Thanks for any advice!

If you fly into Phoenix, you could see the Grand Canyon before Las Vegas. Driving from Yosemite, you could see Lake Shasta and Mt. Lassen before you get to Oregon. Crater Lake in Oregon is beautiful as is the coast and the coastal area is also a beautiful area to visit.

Thanks! I think we want AZ to be a separate trip, as we have tons of must-sees there, but oregon and crater lake sound perfect!

My favorite area of the US is the Eastern Sierra Nevadas, where granite peaks drop down dramatically to a high desert plateau. Yosemite and the national parks are on the Western side. The Eastern side has Mono Lake, Mammoth, Hot Creek, Devils Postpone, the Alabama Hills, Brodie Ghost Town, Hilltop Tub, the Twenty Lakes Basin (one of the best wilderness hikes in the US), Indian Petroglyphs, Bristlecone Pine Forest, Convict Lake, Rainbow Falls, and more.

My favorite area of the US is the Eastern Sierra Nevadas, where granite peaks drop down dramatically to a high desert plateau. Yosemite and the national parks are on the Western side. The Eastern side has Mono Lake, Mammoth, Hot Creek, Devils Postpone, the Alabama Hills, Brodie Ghost Town, Hilltop Tub, the Twenty Lakes Basin (one of the best wilderness hikes in the US), Indian Petroglyphs, Bristlecone Pine Forest, Convict Lake, Rainbow Falls, and more.

Now I want to explore along Hwy 395!

If traveling on 395, be sure to allow time to stop and visit Manzanar. We owe it to our kids . . . it can happen here. And it did.

Yes, you are right, I want our kids to know about these things, thanks for the tip.

I would suggest you do your must-sees in Arizona on this trip. It's closer geographically. Otherwise you'll be spending a valuable day to travel to Oregon/Washington. Save that trip for later and combine it with other Pacific Northwest sights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter