• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Visiting resorts makes me not want to stay there

ArwenMarie

DIS Veteran
Does visiting resorts make you want to stay there or does it have the opposite effect?

For some reason, all of the resorts I have stayed in, I have never visited them before our stay. And I've liked all of them.

But whenever we visit a resort just to see it, or to have dinner, etc...For some reason I come out of there thinking, that was ok but I never want to stay there!

Is there something about staying there that makes you come away with good feelings about it? And then something about visiting that doesn't?

Just wondering how others feel about visiting resorts and the results on their impressions afterwards.

It depends on the resort. I've visited all of the resorts and have little interest in staying at some of them and wish I could stay at others. In some cases, the look at the lobby and grounds have really impressed me and I would happily stay at that resort (AKL is an example). In other cases, the look of the lobby and a glance inside a room, confirmed that the resort isn't really my cup of tea. So, my reaction to a resort depends on the resort.

When I stay value or mod and visit the deluxe resorts I always walk away wondering how I can change my budget next time to stay there. I don't visit other mod or value resorts so I can't relay how I would few seeing those. Luckily I have been "visiting" WL the past several trips and I can finally say I get to stay there. Took me several years but it fit the budget this time.

Does visiting resorts make you want to stay there or does it have the opposite effect?

For some reason, all of the resorts I have stayed in, I have never visited them before our stay. And I've liked all of them.

But whenever we visit a resort just to see it, or to have dinner, etc...For some reason I come out of there thinking, that was ok but I never want to stay there!

Is there something about staying there that makes you come away with good feelings about it? And then something about visiting that doesn't?

Just wondering how others feel about visiting resorts and the results on their impressions afterwards.

Sometimes. I've had exactly that kind of negative reaction after visiting some of the value resorts. They just aren't what I'm looking for in a vacation resort. :confused3 And I've felt that way with a couple of other mod/deluxe resorts. They just didn't appeal to me. Others impressed the heck out of me and I look forward to staying at them on future visits. Each resort is themed so differently that it basically just comes down to personal taste.

We never visit other resorts....we feel its a waste of our vacation and park time...

We get a good enough idea from the vacation DVD, we've done 49 trips and just keep repeating the resorts we like....

We've ruled out all the values, some we never seen, large moderates too...

Some of the deluxe we've stayed at, didn't interest us to return to, so we're down to a precious few....but to us, they are the best and traveling 1050 miles, we want comfort not surprises..,

Sometimes. I've had exactly that kind of negative reaction after visiting some of the value resorts. They just aren't what I'm looking for in a vacation resort. :confused3 And I've felt that way with a couple of other mod/deluxe resorts. They just didn't appeal to me. Others impressed the heck out of me and I look forward to staying at them on future visits. Each resort is themed so differently that it basically just comes down to personal taste.

I totally agree with minnie mum.
More often than not, I've been pleasantly surprised with the resorts I thought I wouldn't enjoy but did enjoy after staying there. The Poly is the last one on our list to try.

Maybe it's because when you haven't seen the resort before you become pleasantly surprised. And when you visit the resort for dinner or just to see the grounds, you have time to think about the things you don't like and why you wouldn't want to stay there.

I personally have never had that problem because I really do like every Disney resort and would like to stay at all of them at least once!

Thanks all, I'm not the only one who has mixed feelings on this.

Example...I've visited the Poly, WL and AKL for dinner. Before I visited them, I wanted to stay at them at least once. Then I visited each of them for dinner, and I left thinking, nice, but I don't want to stay there.

The one we have stayed at the most is the CR. We had stayed offsite before that visit. Just booked it, had hardly any idea of what it was going to look like. Got there, loved it, it's still the one I always want to go back to. Which is funny because it's the one that many people like the least out of the deluxes usually, in terms of theming anyway.

I think I need to stop visiting resorts! :)

I had the opposite issue. I never had any desire to stay at AKL until we had dinner there. I had seen hundreds of pictures, but it was so much more inviting in person. We booked our next stay for AKL after the night we ate at Jiko.:)

We usually stay value or CBR. We visited relatives at AoA for an evening on our last trip, and I now have no desire to stay there. They were in a LM room, and it just didn't appeal to me at all. I'd much rather stay at ASMu if CBR isn't in the budget.

We have visited the WL, AKL, and BC, and I would love to stay at one of those, but it just isn't in the budget right now.

I would like to stay in all of the deluxes, but my kids keep voting for BWI.

I have visited ones that in my had I thought I would like, but after seeing them I didn't. I also have visited ones that I thought I would like and completely fell in love.

Love: AKL, Beach Club (except around Xmas the "gingerbread" smell bout made me sick), Yacht Club, Wilderness Lodge (at Christmas any other time of the year I am eh), Riverside

Hate: Contemporary (like to visit, cool to see the monorail go through, would never stay there)

Eh: Polynesian (lobby is eh to me, grounds are prettyish), Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, French Quarter

We usually stay value or CBR. We visited relatives at AoA for an evening on our last trip, and I now have no desire to stay there. They were in a LM room, and it just didn't appeal to me at all. I'd much rather stay at ASMu if CBR isn't in the budget.

We have visited the WL, AKL, and BC, and I would love to stay at one of those, but it just isn't in the budget right now.

I know what you mean, I visited AoA last trip, and now glad I didn't stay there. But there are deluxes I don't really care for either, like the Grand Floridian theming just doesn't appeal to me, and AKL is too "museum-like" for lack of a better word, lol. And same with the moderates, I tend to like CBR and wouldn't go back to CSR.

Yes. I have visited a few that I know I would NOT want to actually stay at.

Poly, GF, CBR, AKL all fit that category. Poly, especially. I just don't understand the appeal. At. All.

We visitied AoA on our last trip while staying at BLT and AKLV...would LOVE to try staying at AoA! The Cars section blew my mind.

I enjoy visiting the resorts, having lunch or dinner and getting to know the resort.
But I seem to always go for the middle ground, and that's a moderate. When my grandkids were young the AllStars was the best. Going alone many times the moderates were for me. The only deluxe I stayed was AKL when it first opened and I thought it was beautiful, after a 4 day stay at POR.

Overall, since price is important, a moderate is for me. Most favorite is POFQ, have stayed at all but CS.

I am open to stay at other resorts and would like to do that in the future. I try to plan each trip different from the last for my husband. (Mostly restaurants and activities)
I have gotten that feeling though when visiting other resorts, but more so thinking about is it worth the large cost difference.
We stay value and usually stay during FD.
Value approx $2000 or the so called moderate but deluxe in price cabins approx $4000 for same trip.
I can't justify the cost difference.

Would love to stay WL at Xmas and would love to stay at the campsite cabins again. Our favorite trip was there at Xmas but had another paying adult to help with the cost.
Got a super great deal on two days CLUB level at the AKL that was a fun exciting experience.

Don't really have a desire to stay at a moderate. Stayed one night at CBR and was upgraded to Old Key West on another trip.

So either values for me or an awesome deal renting points at a deluxe. Although during FD that doesn't make sense.

One resort I had no desire to stay after visiting during ADR's was GF but in August I spent time there waiting for my family to complete their boat rental. I actually enjoyed my hanging out time and saw a different side of that resort and now could see our family staying there. So for me that made believe I can't always know by just visiting during a meal.

I really wanted to stay at the Poly, especially after having dinner at 'Ohana. This last time, we walked around the resort to check out the rest of it, and I have to say that I am not as keen on staying there as I thought I would be. What got me was the pool. We like to spend a lot of time swimming at the resort, and the Volcano pool looks to be extremely undersized for the number of people staying at the Poly. The rest of the resort is beautiful, but the pool looked like people were elbow to elbow in it.

In 2012 we stayed at the AoA in a Cars Suite just after the resort opened, and while we were there visited several resorts for meals, etc. We really loved the look and feel of the Beach Club. We stayed there this year and had a fantastic time.

I'll be staying at the AKL next week for a convention, and I've never seen the resort in person before. I'll be able to come back and let you know how it was to just stay sight unseen.

It really depends on feeling I get from resort.

We visited AKL and decided we reslly wanted to stay there and we loved it.

We visited Polynesian way back and then stayed there...loved it.

I visited BC and wanted to stay there. I did and did not love it.

We visited WL and GF and will never stay there. This is result of rude cast members at WL and snooty cast members and the vibe we felt at GF.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter