Visiting Laundryland whilst at Disney...

Hobbes

DIS Veteran
Has anyone used the launderettes on site at Disney? Are they fairly easy to use (Don't want to look a pillock cos I can't work a washer!!) How long roughly does a load of washing take? And tumble drying? (I don't even have a Tumble drier at home so that will be fun...)

I know, its sad, but I'm sick of suitcases bursting at the seams when it would be far easier to chuck a load of t shirts in the washer halfway through the holiday-leaves more room for Ghirardelli chocolate...

Hi
The automatic ones (not the ones in the villas) take about 40 mins. Just throw the load in with the little box of powder you can buy next to the machine. Then stick it in the tumble dryer for about the same time. We usually do this during the kids nap times. Easy as you like, it would have to be as this is a "blue job" on holiday, i.e I have to do it.

Easy as you like, it would have to be as this is a "blue job" on holiday, i.e I have to do it.

DH has graciously said I can go do it whilst he watches the Superbowl on the Sunday night-luckily I know the laundrette at POFQ is near the Hot Tub....

I take the powder washing tablets from home. Crumble one in the bottom of the machine - most of the Disney machines are top loaders. They don't have numeric temperatures like we do they have cold, warm & hot. I use warm for most things and they have come out ok! I also tumble on a medium heat.

You will need quarters (or at least you used too - I haven't used one for a while as we stay in a DVC one bedroom now)

I think its all Debit/Credit Card based now. When it was Quarters it was really easy to use. I am sure it still is.

There is also a Website that tells you when your dryer or washer is finished, you just check the progress of your machine number on the site :)

It's now credit cards (works with prepaid and currency cards as well)

there is a box with a smal screen in the corner of the laundry.

works the same with washers or dryers.

choose a machine, load it, and close it. You can't push the buttons to select a program at that point, they're locked.

go to the control box, and swipe your CC
select washer or dryer, and press the machine number on the screen.

you will have options to choose additional time (or less time) for the dryers and the price will be diplayed.

you'll also be able to add additional machines if you do several batches at the same time, so you only pay in one transaction.

once you validate on the screen, the control panel on the washer/dryer will unlock. Go back to the machine and select your program/temperature.

ETA : there is a comprehensive thread with pictures on the DIS : http://www.disboards.com/threads/new-laundry-machines-coming-to-disney-world-resorts.3396347/

OMG-you are all very thorough. Thanks for the comprehensive answers. Even I can't go wrong now!

I've never used them but love the washer/dryer in the DVC villas especially in the winter. It's so nice not to have to empty a case of dirty washing!

The other side of the Laundry room at POFQ is the pool bar so its quite easy to entertain yourself while doing a wash! Like Elise I take some powder tablets with me, you can get a small box at the pound shop and I just take a few with me. POFQ was the first resort to use the card option rather than coins and it is really simple and so are the dryers, I don't have one at home either. I usually do a wash part way through then I do one the day before we leave as it makes for much easier packing clean clothes rather than dirty clothes. I've also used two washers to one drier if I have a dark and light coloured load, cost for that last year was about £5 whereas at home you couldn't do one wash for that :)

It was credit card only at CSR, the only thing is ( if I remember rightly) is that it is a separate transaction for each one so check the fees on your debit card.

I made a mistake. I washed the clothes. I went back and loaded them in a top dryer. I was able to reach the dryer to load them and start the thing, but when I went to go back...I couldn't really get all the clothes OUT of the top dryer. Another guest helped me out, but if you are not tall, be careful of using the wrong dryer!

I love going home with no dirty laundry to do and so make great use of the onsite facilities. It is disappointing when I arrive at the room with my smelly socks and there are no machines so I now use the link to the Select a Laundry Room web page (http://www.laundryview.com/disneyworld/ ) to check availability before I go. :thumbsup2

Mrs TT

Seriously my husband actually does two or 3 loads a trip!
More if we end up staying at saratoga with our own wash dryer! Take your own powder from the £1 shop as it's perfect and not as harsh as there own detergent.

Two things
One I found my more delicate clothes do not Do well in these industrial machines!
And was not too stoked when hubby ruined a new top and dress! On more then one occasion.

2. we have had our laundry bad knicked on 4 occasions! People seriously think it's ok tonnage the bag that you took your clothes to the laundry in!
First time it was at akl and we didn't realise the twins who was 5 at the time, had popped their new light up toys and plushies along with their brothers to bed in the end zip of the bag! So we left it thinking it would be fine and somebody knicked the case and obviously the items left in it!
Disney were amazing and actually gave us a credit of $150!! To replace the light ups and plushies and a little extra for the boys upset, ( totally unexpected) we just wanted to know invite had been handed in.

The other times we took a old bag that we had brought with us on purpose for this, each time and once just a large tote style and yes they went too, obviously our fault for thinking nobody would want our old bag! But I guess people forget to bring something for their clean clothes and take ours, you would think we had learnt!

I always take my own washing liquid now after a nasty event at MK. I had washed our stuff with the detergent in the laundry room only to discover I was highly allergic to it when in MK. I went red and started feeling mega and I mean mega hot. When I started to itch in line for a ride and felt mega ill, a cast member diagnosed my issue and brought me a new Mickey T shirt. I changed T shirts and in about 15 mins felt entirely better. The fact she could diagnose it so quickly makes me think it wasn't the first time she'd seen it. So...now I take Persil non bio ligui tabs from home.

The laundrettes are now credit/ debit card operated you get a menu on the screen instructions on how to use and there's even a laundry app to check how much longer your load will take. They have vending machines for powders and conditioner and dryer sheets that also stock bleach free and scent free detergent. The ones we've used for the last few years have all been front loaders NOT top loaders they changed many of them over. The dryers be warned don't use the high heat settings or your items can and probably will shrink inside them. Keep checking them but never leave them for long... Some disgusting folks will be tempted to take out a load already in a machine and use it for their own stuff to dry , blooming cheeky sods! I either stay in there and watch to or read a book popping out to the pool occasionally or get the other half to watch it for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter