Visiting FW

vettechick99

<font color=purple>Why do I open these threads?<br
We are coming in next week and staying at Bonnet Creek. I would like to book a dinner at FW (not sure which one yet but leaning toward TE) but would also like to poke around FW. Does anyone have a "touring plan"? I know it's such a big place and I don't want to just wander around with 2 kids in the heat. We'll be driving our own car so give me some ideas as that as a starting point (or TE).

Thanks!!

I don't know if they will let you just "Drive Around" since the only parking is on the individual sites and that is reserved for those guests staying there. There is the Lot out front, but that leaves you "Walking" around the Fort. You can use the "Bus" transportation to get to the TE or other points of interest but it's not really that great for checking out the Campground.

You could try and rent a Golf Cart for your visit too, but it's a lot of money for just a couple hours of touring.

As far as "Highlights" go, there is the obvious things, Settlement, Outpost, Marina, Pools and Meadows Area. Depending on the time of year (and holidays) many campers will also decorate their sites and campers. Some will do it regardless of the season or holidays. So it's really tough to give a good "Touring Plan" based on that.

Now I am sure Ed will be in here soon enough and point out some hidden gems. (He's great at that) that could be of interest including some remnants of the old railroad.

Sadly, some things may be more difficult to access now too as a result of recent incidents, but of course we want you to be safe.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

I don't know if they will let you just "Drive Around" since the only parking is on the individual sites and that is reserved for those guests staying there. There is the Lot out front, but that leaves you "Walking" around the Fort. You can use the "Bus" transportation to get to the TE or other points of interest but it's not really that great for checking out the Campground.

You could try and rent a Golf Cart for your visit too, but it's a lot of money for just a couple hours of touring.

As far as "Highlights" go, there is the obvious things, Settlement, Outpost, Marina, Pools and Meadows Area. Depending on the time of year (and holidays) many campers will also decorate their sites and campers. Some will do it regardless of the season or holidays. So it's really tough to give a good "Touring Plan" based on that.

Now I am sure Ed will be in here soon enough and point out some hidden gems. (He's great at that) that could be of interest including some remnants of the old railroad.

Sadly, some things may be more difficult to access now too as a result of recent incidents, but of course we want you to be safe.

recent incidents? haven't heard. eeek.

i will pull out a map and study it. I guess what I'm wondering is if we are eating at TE are there places to visit within walking distance? I've never been over this way so I'm really out of my element. Thanks for your advice. :)

Oh you mean the gator incident. So sad. :(

You ask about other points of interest Around Pioneer Hall where TE is located you have plenty to check out. There is a Pony ride which if your signature picture is recent might appeal to your daughters. There is also The barn where you can observe up close some of the Percheron houses that work on Main Street USA and other areas of WDW. You will als find a nice display of photos of Walt and some his horses and as well as horses that played major roles in Disney Movies and TV programs. Ft W also is home to a hay ride in the evening as well as a Carriage Ride that leave from Pioneer Hall. Peg 101 has said you can rent a golf cart to tour the campground but if you take the bus ( Internal to Campground ) to Meadows complex you can also rent some bikes and ride through at your leisure. Should you want to spend more time in the Fort you can watch the electric Water Pageant from the beach as well as the fireworks that rise over the Contemporary Resort in the evening hours. One last thing At the Reception Outpost right behind the bus stop is the Trail Ride and during the day the horses to be ridden are in the corral where you can see them

You ask about other points of interest Around Pioneer Hall where TE is located you have plenty to check out. There is a Pony ride which if your signature picture is recent might appeal to your daughters. There is also The barn where you can observe up close some of the Percheron houses that work on Main Street USA and other areas of WDW. You will als find a nice display of photos of Walt and some his horses and as well as horses that played major roles in Disney Movies and TV programs. Ft W also is home to a hay ride in the evening as well as a Carriage Ride that leave from Pioneer Hall. Peg 101 has said you can rent a golf cart to tour the campground but if you take the bus ( Internal to Campground ) to Meadows complex you can also rent some bikes and ride through at your leisure. Should you want to spend more time in the Fort you can watch the electric Water Pageant from the beach as well as the fireworks that rise over the Contemporary Resort in the evening hours. One last thing At the Reception Outpost right behind the bus stop is the Trail Ride and during the day the horses to be ridden are in the corral where you can see them
Great information. Thank you! Yes they are a year older than that picture so they would enjoy seeing the horses and poking around the Fort.

After dinner at Trail's End, you and your husband can sit on the Trail's End porch and relax (maybe with an after dinner drink:) ) while your kids play in the playground that is right there. The stables are around the corner but I think you should probably visit them before dinner as they do close. Take the bus to the Meadows and do the sing along, roast some marshmallows, and then watch the movie. Next week, the movie is at 8:40 and the singalong and campfire start about 45 minutes before. After all that, you can catch the fireworks and electric water parade from the beach. Except for dinner at a restaurant, this sounds just like most of our evenings at the Fort!

We visited the Fort twice on our trip last month. We were planning to attend the Chip & Dale campfire (it was cancelled both nights). The first night when we got to the guard and told him what we were doing he let us right in. The 2nd night this guard was not going to let us in. She kept saying how people "sneak in on the weekends" and take up all of hte parking that is for Fort guests...It was like a Wednesday and the parking was half empty..haha. She ended up letting us in only because "we were able to prove we were WDW onsite guests". So, getting in without a reservation is pretty iffy. I know we were assured on here that the Chip & Dale campfire is open to anyone....I guess only if you can get past the guard post.

Once we were in we just took a bus to the store. We really saw a lot of the campground I thought. I don't see why you couldn't switch to another bus that goes in deeper if that is what you're thinking.

We visited the Fort twice on our trip last month. We were planning to attend the Chip & Dale campfire (it was cancelled both nights). The first night when we got to the guard and told him what we were doing he let us right in. The 2nd night this guard was not going to let us in. She kept saying how people "sneak in on the weekends" and take up all of hte parking that is for Fort guests...It was like a Wednesday and the parking was half empty..haha. She ended up letting us in only because "we were able to prove we were WDW onsite guests". So, getting in without a reservation is pretty iffy. I know we were assured on here that the Chip & Dale campfire is open to anyone....I guess only if you can get past the guard post.

Once we were in we just took a bus to the store. We really saw a lot of the campground I thought. I don't see why you couldn't switch to another bus that goes in deeper if that is what you're thinking.

Oh good to know. I will definitely have a reservation for dinner before I attempt to go. Thanks for your advice!

I've looked at the map and see that the Outpost is near the parking lot. I catch a bus from there and ride through the campground until I get to Pioneer Hall. And it seems like all the other stuff is near there? Which bus line is most interesting?

Both routes will take you to Pioneer hall. One takes you to Meadow Trading Post on straight run from there PH the other takes you to meadows complex and through more of camping loops can't remember exactly which one is which have to break out my old maps

Take either the one that goes from the Settlement up the middle of the campground or the one that goes along the right of the campground (can't ever remember the colors of the routes). The one that goes around the left of the campsite has a long stretch through a wooded service road and there is nothing to see. Basically, there are 2 places in the campground you might want to visit: the Settlement where Trails End is plus the horses, a playground, the marina, and the beach. The other is the Meadows with the movie, singalong, pool, campfire. Depending on the order you want to do your touring, either head all the way to the Settlement and then ride back to the Meadows, or stop at Meadows and the continue the ride down to the Settlement. The Meadows is in the middle of the campground.

You aren't allowed to drive around. You can park in the parking lot, which is in the Outpost area at the entrance of FW. The Settlement area is at the other end. Take the internal bus from the Outpost. There are 3 colour-coded bus routes. IIRC, the purple weaves through the west side of the campground (you'll see the cabins on this side), the yellow skirts around the east side of the campground, and the orange goes straight through the middle. All bus routes go to the Settlement area. You'll find Pioneer Hall (Hoop Dee Doo), Trail's End (restaurant), Trading Post (store), a playground, the beach, and the marina in this area. Josh posted recently about FW with some great photos: http://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/tr...w-at-fort-wilderness-resort-and-some-scenery/

I suggest you take the orange bus, get off at the Meadows and explore that area, and then continue on to the Settlement and explore that area.

The campfire singalong is fun (it's in the Meadows area. You can buy smores fixings there or can bring your own), Chip and Dale are there, and there's a movie too. Have fun! You will love FW!

Last edited:
I was going to post a picture of my campground map, but the post that Marbel mentioned already has one. The whole article looks really good! I wish I had seen it before we went last month.

DEFINITELY go to Tri-Circle-D Ranch! {Q on the map.} It's very close to Trail's End. {N} Even if the girls don't do the pony ride, the horses are amazing to see. So is the "memory room" inspired by Walt's love of horses. AND you can see (& hear) the calliope. It's beautiful!

Resized_20160628_125443.jpeg Resized_20160628_193424.jpeg

I wouldn't rent bikes or a golf cart unless you're accustomed to navigating inside a large campground. I get turned around too easily-the loops start to all look alike! ...plus the rentals seemed fairly expensive to me--you can do the wagon ride for less than a one hour bike rental. AND you get to sit back & just enjoy the view on the wagon ride. We didn't end up doing it (1st come=1st served), but my guess is that it would give you a good overview of FW. I imagine it would make for a much better "tour" than riding the different buses. Or for about $15 more than your family would pay for joining others on the wagon ride, you could do a private carriage ride. (I bet that would still be cheaper than renting a golf cart.) We didn't do that either, but I feel sure your driver would be a wonderful tour guide. (The people working the trail ride were terrific!) You might even be able to set up a reservation for the carriage ride.

Do you do pin trading?

The Campfire Sing-A-Long is great! {I} If you're roasting marshmallows, bring wet wipes. Apparently the smores kits are inadequately equipped. If you're staying late enough to watch the movie, I'd also bring a thick blanket. There are wooden benches & conventional bleachers, but I was jealous of the people who brought blankets & got to stretch out on the ground (concrete & gravel). The fireworks & water parade are great too! Watch those on your blanket at the beach by the Marina/Boat Launch. {L}

The movie schedule & information about other activities in July can be found here: http://www.disboards.com/threads/july-2016-fort-wilderness-movie-and-activities-list.3523116/ Hope you're planning to spend several hours exploring!! There's sooooo much to do!

Hope your trip is going well! When you have time, would love to hear how everything went at FW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter