Visiting during Gay Days 2014

I've never been to Disney during Gay Days, but I am glad it is as described. My wife and I booked a cruise on Princess a few years ago and found out after on board that about 1/2 of the guests were from a group called "Chumlees' Big Gay Cruise". Let me tell you, trying to have breakfast while large groups of men fondled each other in the pools were not my thing. I have not booked a cruise since without googling the date, cruise line, and various search terms to include big gay bear cruise.

The only thing that was a little funny is that I am 6'6", burly, with a military haircut and beard traveling with my wife and a female friend, apparently I fit the profile. I didn't enjoy it at the time, but they thought it was hilarious. Now, in hindsight it was a little funny. I still remember the look of the maintenance man cleaning the pools each morning; he was not a happy camper.

As long as there is no inappropriate PDA ( I don't like it from straight people either) I would be ok. I imagine there is just a bit more pixie dust in the air that time of year.

We have been to Gay Days a few times at Disneyland.
We have 8 kids between us (blended family) and 2 of them are gay so we enjoy going to events that are supportive and fun!
It has always been a very family friendly day with lots of families of 2 dads or 2 moms bringing their kids and having a good time.

This 2006 pic shows the fantastic rainbow Mickey ears I picked up from the Disney outlet.
They were the hit of the day! Everyone wanted a pair and asked where they could buy them.

IMG_0019.JPG

We are going to designated parks on two of the days. I just now realized it. From my perspective, I don't have to hide families with two mommies or two daddies. We have several friends who have two moms at home. We also have many more examples of healthy relationships our kids see which involve same sex couples.

I do need to know about any protests. We are staying on site but will have our own car. I'm assuming Disney is diligent about removing anyone from the property who tries to protest. I can't shield my kids from hate, but I would like for them to enjoy their vacation. It is also heartbreaking to think of other children having their parents attacked or hearing slurs directed at them at Disney :guilty:

The whole tone of that article rubs me the wrong way. For one thing, the terminology is better suited to 1994 than 2014.

It was probably written closer to '94 than '14. That might be an exaggeration, but it's seriously NOT a new article.

Then I started wondering if it was going to be a lot more crowded, so started researching and came across this:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-gay-days.htm

Obviously this is one man's view, but this did bother me a bit if it really is like that.

A big issue I have with the info side of the Dis (which is what wdwinfo is, and the guy that wrote the article is the owner of the Dis) is that they are rarely dated. They semi-update them, as this article is, to make it LOOK like it's new, but that article is NOT. It's years and years old. I bet if you did a search for "gay days article"....wait, let me just do that.

"gay days article disboards".

Hey look, it was a relevant article in early June of 2005.

That means he was writing about GDs had had seen/experienced in 2004 and before. My nearly 10 year old son was a couple weeks old when Pete would have last experienced Gay Days before writing this article. Come on*. It's time for this article to be laid to rest, or at least written anew. If he still feels the same way, fine. But it should be new, from new information. Not an ancient based on decade-old experience.

*irritation NOT sent in the direction of people who find the article, but of the people who run the Dis...

We've been several times during Gay Days and didn't notice a thing.

I took a trip last year that overlapped with gay days, and I had no idea anything special was going on. The more important park to avoid during this time of year, in my opinion, is DHS during Star Wars Weekends, unless you are an active participant of course. Not that the SW fans are obnoxious, the park is just packed to the gills.

This particular weekend at Star Wars Weekend the reported guest is Mark Hamill....his first ever visit to a Disney SWW, so I would avoid that park most especially that weekend as it's going to be an absolute zoo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter