Visiting during Gay Days 2014

If you cross out the parks with something special going on, that leaves just one park. For my example above - DHS had Star Wars Weekend, MK had EMH morning and Epcot was park of the day for Gay Days. So by eliminating those three parks - The Animal Kingdom was the best for my trip. And it was a great day to visit Animal Kingdom.

For this year: I am using June 2013 EMH times because I can't find June 2014. But for an example...

Thu, June 5 -
Animal Kingdom Gay Days
Magic Kingdom - EMH morning

Fri, June 6 -
Disney's Hollywood Studios SWW and Gay Days (I would avoid that one!)
Epcot - EMH morning

Sat, June 7 -
Magic Kingdom Gay Days
DHS - SWW
Animal Kingdom - EMH morning

Epcot would be my choice here.

Sun, June 8 -
Epcot Gay Days
DHS SWW
MK - EMH evening

Animal Kingdom Day for Me!

Now if I really wanted to go to SWW - I would probably go on Sunday.
Oh Well, just my system. I like having the extra variable of the Gay Days for planning.

Thanks!

I've not had any problems going during gay days at Disneyland or Disneyworld. I have had issues at Universal Studios Hollywood gay day. They setup tables just outside the gates for check in. The greeters wore very inappropriate attire better suited for a Rocky Horror Picture show gathering. Have not seen anything like that at Disney.

We've been 4 different times during gay days and it had no affect on our plans. Because the schedule is always posted and we wanted to avoid large crowds, we went to different parks. The worst I saw was a gentleman in leather short shorts, but I see a lot worse than that at Walmart! ;)

Our kids' school year would end near the end of May so we visited WDW quite a few times at the end of May and into early June. Most of these visits included Gay Days. We have seen some inappropriate t-shirts (a few downright nasty) and some over-the-top behavior but not a large amount. Even after all these years of Gay Days at WDW there are still some folks that are trying to make a point or draw attention to their sexual orientation.:(

During our last Gay Days visit (maybe 2 years ago) we visited MK on the scheduled day (always 1st Saturday of June) based on the reports that the crowds would actually be low because of people avoiding the park. I don't think this was the best strategy because MK was crowded.

Hi guys!

I realized after booking that we'll be visiting Disney during Gay days this year. That doesn't really bother me, and in fact my first thought was that it might be cool to experience. I have no problem with gay individuals and am not afraid to have a conversation with my daughter about it should she have questions.

Then I started wondering if it was going to be a lot more crowded, so started researching and came across this:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-gay-days.htm

Obviously this is one man's view, but this did bother me a bit if it really is like that. Particularly the parts about the host hotel. I did verify that we are nowhere near the host hotel (our hotel did it last year), so we're good there. But I wanted to get some other people's thoughts who have experienced this. Is magic kingdom really transformed to a non-family-friendly place on that Saturday? Are the other parks similar on their designated days? If we avoid the host hotel, and the park that's designated for that day, will we safely avoid the "south beach" atmosphere the link above referred to?

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here, just trying to make sure I have the information to make this the best possible vacation for my family. Thanks so much!

We were at AK during its designated day last year and at HS during its day, which coincided with Star Wars Weekends. Both days were the best days crowd wise we had at any of the parks. It could have been a coincidence, but compared to large crowds we had at MK and Epcot earlier in the week, it was great My thought was that Gay Days might scare a lot of people off. We enjoyed ourselves and never saw anything inappropriate at all.

As to the OP, I believe that Pete wrote that several years ago. I think Gay Days at Disney have changed since then, quite a bit. I do not think you will have any issues. All families are subject to the same rules of decorum and behavior, gay or straight :)

Actually, I went during Gay Days in 2012, as well. And yes, you see some flamboyance from some people. But to the younger kids, they wouldn't even know if they were gay or not unless you point it out. And to the older kids (like mine, who were 12 and 13 boys at the time), it actually added to the fun!

First of all, their crowds were livelier. They were cool when my sons would ask them about their clothes (One guy had some wings on him. It's because the guy's favorite Disney character was Tinker Bell. His explanation about it was funny!)

In short, they were not trying to forward an agenda. They just liked going to Disney with folks that they had a lot in common with. To us, they were just another group- like the AAU football teams or the Brazilians. They were just out having fun, just like everyone else.

We were there summer 2013. I do remember being in MK on their designated day because my daughter had BBB that afternoon. We might have been in AK on the designated day not sure. Just lots of red shirts. That’s all I remember. I could tell because I knew what the time of year was. My 10 year-old didn’t notice anything and I call her the 55 inch high private eye. Nothing like what is described in that article. It didn’t feel particularly crowded either.

We have been during this time and it was fine!! If you are worried about extra crowds just stay away from the park that is their chosen day, everything else is not a problem at all!!!

The reason for things like Gay Days and pride parades stems back from a time where LGBT people were silenced and invisible. Culturally, the "norm" is being straight. If you go to a restaurant for dinner, you see straight people, mostly. If you talk about your friends dating, most of them are dating straight people. Imagery of straight people is everywhere, from the media to religion, etc. The point of Gay Days is to say "We're here, too." NO need for a Heterosexual Day. Everyone is already quite aware of the fact that straight people exist.

Before this thread gets more heated and closed, I'll say I agree with the above. Celebrating diversity in any form is a very good way to not only create good will in our society, but help break down stereotypes.

I've been during gay days several times, and you'll find that there as many different types of gay personalities as there are straight personalities. I never hurts for people to spend time with those who are not the same as they are.

I posted on this thread back in early January and never had a response.
I was wondering if Gay Days affects the evening parade crowd at MK?
I have read that they generally do not stay til close at the parks, but would really like to know as parade time is already so crowded that if there will be a great amount of additional people, I'd like to plan around it. However, this will be the best time for us to go, so just like to know what to expect.
Thanks.

I posted on this thread back in early January and never had a response. I was wondering if Gay Days affects the evening parade crowd at MK? I have read that they generally do not stay til close at the parks, but would really like to know as parade time is already so crowded that if there will be a great amount of additional people, I'd like to plan around it. However, this will be the best time for us to go, so just like to know what to expect. Thanks.

I'm not sure if "they" will stay for the parade.....

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm not sure if "they" will stay for the parade.....

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I did not mean to be insensitive. "They", anyone who is specifically going to MK to celebrate gay days. Wondering if that specific crowd makes the nighttime parade more crowded, i.e. do we need to find a spot earlier than usual?

The reason for things like Gay Days and pride parades stems back from a time where LGBT people were silenced and invisible. Culturally, the "norm" is being straight. If you go to a restaurant for dinner, you see straight people, mostly. If you talk about your friends dating, most of them are dating straight people. Imagery of straight people is everywhere, from the media to religion, etc. The point of Gay Days is to say "We're here, too." NO need for a Heterosexual Day. Everyone is already quite aware of the fact that straight people exist.

Well said! :thumbsup2

I did not mean to be insensitive. "They", anyone who is specifically going to MK to celebrate gay days. Wondering if that specific crowd makes the nighttime parade more crowded, i.e. do we need to find a spot earlier than usual?

Seems like a perfectly fair question to me! I wish I knew the answer. Maybe your best bet would be to play it by ear. Go, and if it seems extra busy, stake out your spot early.

I understand but think that the issue has passed for the majority of people and these events now do more to hurt the cause than help it.

As far as crowds, this has been a decent time to visit because a majority of school kids are still in school. We have avoided gay day parks and gone to gay day parks and I still don't know the best plan.

I understand but think that the issue has passed for the majority of people and these events now do more to hurt the cause than help it.

We can still be fired in more than half the states for simply being gay, we can't adopt children in certain places, or have our legal marriages recognized in most states. Just last week I was called an "F" word by a young man at MK who didn't think I heard him. There are still laws on the books and ignorant people trying to create more laws to undermine our freedoms and parents teaching their children that it's okay to insult someone because of their sexual orientation, and I don't think they know very many gay people. Sorry, the issue has not passed for the majority of people.

Back on topic - someone asked if the crowds would affect the nighttime parade. Every time I've visited with a large group, we've left before dark. Whether it's the big pool party at the host hotel or the WE party at Epcot or a performer at P House, we usually have something else for which to get ready.

one thing you might have to look out for is explaining some offensive sky writing to your children for some reason there are groups the hire sky writers to write some anti gay things in the sky

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter