Visiting another hotel for afternoon break? Thoughts? Ideas?

The whole "give yourself an hour" rule of thumb is mostly so that if you have a reservations for a meal or something, you will have plenty of time and not be stressing about cutting it so close. The idea is that when the bus runs every 20 minutes, you might get lucky and arrive at the bus stop just as the bus pulls up and get on it immediately. OR, you might arrive at the bus stop and the door is closing and the bus pulls away, and the next bus doesn't show up for a full 20 minutes....that can make a HUGE difference if you are trying to arrive at MK in time to make a pre-paid reservation at CRT, so the rule of thumb is to assume that you will have to wait that full 20 minutes or a bit more for the bus, but the reality is that most of the time, you won't have to wait that whole time.

And that time also includes getting to your destination - so the 20 minute wait, 20 min ride, plus the 20 minute walk to wherever you are going inside the park. Many many places you can make in less time...(but nothing - and I mean NOTHING is as easy as BLT to the MK - not even Beach Club to Epcot in my opinion!)

And that time also includes getting to your destination - so the 20 minute wait, 20 min ride, plus the 20 minute walk to wherever you are going inside the park. Many many places you can make in less time...(but nothing - and I mean NOTHING is as easy as BLT to the MK - not even Beach Club to Epcot in my opinion!)

We stayed at BLT twice and I def am going to miss that walk for sure. But we really wanted to try a new place especially for the kids!!!

To help to relax id suggest that you take the launches between the resort. So comfy to sit back and ride between the MK and the poly and vice verso. Not the fastest way to travel but very different.

I'm arriving Sept. 17. I've been the last week of August and the last week of September.

Frankly, during that time of year, I would never do RD at a park and not take an afternoon break that included a shower and a costume change. I am just feeling too sweaty and gross by the afternoon.

Even though AKL isn't near the MK, I would still take the trip back to freshen up. I can't imagine going all day in that heat and humidity without a mid-day shower. You could always just take the bus for that part then your car will still be where you parked it for the end of your evening.

Relaxation at MK

Tiki Room, Bear Jamboree, Hall of Presidents, Walt Disney World Railroad (21 minute round trip), Philharmagic, Carousel of Progress, Peoplemover

The pianist at the Grand Floridian takes request so that might be fun for your group. Check out Basin White too. The lobby is just a really nice cool heavenly smelling place to sit and relax.

I'm arriving Sept. 17. I've been the last week of August and the last week of September.

Frankly, during that time of year, I would never do RD at a park and not take an afternoon break that included a shower and a costume change. I am just feeling too sweaty and gross by the afternoon.

Even though AKL isn't near the MK, I would still take the trip back to freshen up. I can't imagine going all day in that heat and humidity without a mid-day shower. You could always just take the bus for that part then your car will still be where you parked it for the end of your evening.

And I agree with a full day but I decided we'd just be done by 3 at the latest. Theres just no point in us breaking our day up if we aren't stay late. I dont want to rush out of there to make sure we have enough break time to just come back for 2-3 hours if that. With an early morning the next day I think we'll be ok just going from RD till were ready to leave :)

My kids are the same ages as yours. Last time we went they were 3 and 6 and we'll be there in a few months at ages 4 and 7.
I am an*huge* fan of getting out of the parks for a little bit mid day. But it doesn't have to be for a long time or some big production. For our family, just getting away from lines and crowds and over stimulation for half an hour keeps everyone happier and saner and prevents me from killing anyone. Letting the kids run free for a few minutes and not having to deal with masses of people lets your brain rest and let's the kids recharge.
It doesn't need to involved napping or showering or any activity. Just literally decompressing for a little bit can make a huge difference when you have little kids.

Some things that have worked for us:
1. Ferry back and forth to the ttc - they usually let us stay on for the return trip
2. Monorail to contemporary and get some ice cream (clearly poly and dole whip would work just as well)
3. Swinging in the hammocks at the poly and playing in the sand (not sure what the status of that is now)
And my favorite:
4. Boat to fort wilderness and playing at the playground and getting a quick snack or drink there.

The beauty of all of these options is that you can totally play it by ear.
Maybe the CP lunch will be enough of a break that you don't need to leave the park. But if you and DH look at each other around 1:30 and think "I'm miserable and the kids clearly are too" - just leave. Take a half an hour break anywhere, and you will all feel so much better.

I would enjoy your nice lunch, do whatever else you would like to do and then go back to the hotel knowing you can truly relax. Our grandson is 6 and he loved the pool and splash area at Kidani. We have stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge several times and love it! I know you and family will have a wonderful stay!

?.. Even for an hour or so. ...
if you are just talking an hour or so, consider carousel of progress and people mover, both in tomorrow land. And/or hall of presidents. Cop and hop both have great AC and tons of people and kids napping.

And I agree with a full day but I decided we'd just be done by 3 at the latest. Theres just no point in us breaking our day up if we aren't stay late. I dont want to rush out of there to make sure we have enough break time to just come back for 2-3 hours if that. With an early morning the next day I think we'll be ok just going from RD till were ready to leave :)[/QU

• 2-3 p.m. "I'm hot and sweaty. Let's go back to our room and literally chill out in the A/C and have a shower
  • 3-5p.m. Showering, chilling, and just getting ready for the evening.
  • 5-6 p.m. Traveling back to the theme park.
  • 6-10 p.m. All refreshed and relaxed and having a great time at the Magic Kingdom.
I am seeing many hours of fantastic Magic Kingdom fun!

Last edited:
We resort hop all the time. On our most recent trip Aug 10-21, we went to the Poly, Grad Floridian, Fort Wilderness, and Art of Animation. We always make time for that as we think it's fun to see the food offerings and the feel for the resort. We also did the DVC tour this year at AKL Kidani Village for the first time and that was cool too. No pressure and it took about an hour.....actually went more than an hour because we asked alot of questions. It didn't put a dent in our trip whatsoever. We watched the animals in their savanna and had a great time.

I guess that makes sense. I think we will just see how we feel. I suppose if we drive to MK that morning which we most likely will that just getting on a bus mid day shouldn't be that big of a deal. Id guess there wont be tons of people coming and going mid day.

You are overthinking this. It's clear that you are taking a break just to satisfy what you believe to be necessary based on other peoples perspective, but you are not considering the feedback when folks are telling you that realistically whar you think is a break is probably not going to work out that way.
If you are looking for a true break, either take the bus or your car back to AKL.
If you are looking for a little respite from the park, head to a resort or Fort Wilderness.
If you want to cool off take a ride on the monorail or take a nap in COP.
If you just want to get off of your feet get on the Steam Train.

I think your DH is right, just do what you want to do in the park, use the attractions that are air conditioned to cool off. Stop and have a cold drink and a snack in a CS restaurant. Then go back to AKL and be done with it.

Thanks all. I think we will play it by ear. My new plan is just do everything we wanna do have our nice lunch and then finish up. If there comes a point we need a break we'll take it and decide what will work best. I think leaving than coming back and staying till 10 would have been fun but thats just not possible with us needing to be at MK before 8 the next day for EMH :) I can't believe our trip is so close!!!

Thanks all. I think we will play it by ear. My new plan is just do everything we wanna do have our nice lunch and then finish up. If there comes a point we need a break we'll take it and decide what will work best. I think leaving than coming back and staying till 10 would have been fun but thats just not possible with us needing to be at MK before 8 the next day for EMH :) I can't believe our trip is so close!!!

This is how we roll when we plan an early morning. I do not think we can do it all, and so we stay until we need to get out. Any breaks we plan are just that, a break from one park when we are done with what we wanted to do, til we have dinner that night, and then we go from there.

Have fun and remember that you will not be able to get everything in, so if the kids want to swim, or you and DH think you want to call it a day and explore something else, do it. You will not remember how you flew from attraction to attraction, loving the race while dragging the kids. You will remember the little things that you did not even see coming. My favorite memories are like snapshots embedded within my mind, of my DGD on DH shoulders "reading" a map, or of her crouching in front of a dresser in Tinks Treasures with a CM, waiting to see if Tink would wake up. All the things she never got to do at home: swimming after dark, peeking out of windows at fireworks, and playing in the sand with Nana and Pa while listening to the ELP. So make your memories and dont focus too much on how much you accomplish.

Everyone says we need breaks. But things at MK sound like they might work as a break as well. We just can't freshed up really.

Who is "everyone"?

If "everyone" is your family on this trip, then you do need a break. But if "everyone" is mostly on-line posters, maybe not. We were never rope-drop people, and while I'm certain that strategy works for many families, it didn't for mine, and we always see and do everything.

Will your kids nap if you go back? When my son was 4, he wouldn't nap while we were in WDW. He didn't nap at home either at that age, but by 7:00 PM Disney Time, he'd be out cold in his stroller. An afternoon break would have taken a big chunk out of his park time.

I get wanting to freshen up. Here's a link to one thread where we discuss doing that:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/what-do-you-pack-for-the-parks.3512126/page-2#post-55793249

Whatever you decide, hope you have a great trip. :)

Who is "everyone"?

If "everyone" is your family on this trip, then you do need a break. But if "everyone" is mostly on-line posters, maybe not. We were never rope-drop people, and while I'm certain that strategy works for many families, it didn't for mine, and we always see and do everything.

Will your kids nap if you go back? When my son was 4, he wouldn't nap while we were in WDW. He didn't nap at home either at that age, but by 7:00 PM Disney Time, he'd be out cold in his stroller. An afternoon break would have taken a big chunk out of his park time.

I get wanting to freshen up. Here's a link to one thread where we discuss doing that:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/what-do-you-pack-for-the-parks.3512126/page-2#post-55793249

Whatever you decide, hope you have a great trip. :)

Yeah everyone I mean people online saying how important it is especially in the heat. My 4 year old doesnt nap either unless its random and he just falls asleep which I am sure he probably will at Disney a few times. But I agree going back for a break will just take to much time when were not planning on having a late night.

I relaxed at the Contemporary for nearly 4 hours in July - a little over an hour was eating dinner at the Wave. I put deodorant in my backpack to freshen up with while I was there. I wet some paper towels to wipe some of the sweat off me as well.

I started by walking over from MK. Then sat down on a comfy lounge chair in the lobby catching up on my email for 30 minutes.
Then I walked all over the resort playing Pokemon Go. Once I did that, I went into Contempo Cafe, got a snack and relaxed for another 30 minutes. Then I walked over to Bay Lake Tower and did the Pokemon Gym there until the DVC Lounge opened up. Once that opened, I went to the DVC lounge to check it out and grab a drink (new DVC member here) until it was time for dinner at the Wave. I had dinner and then walked back to MK for the rest of the evening.

I felt relaxed when I left and ready to take on the craziness that was MK. :)

Ya know, I think this is probably your best answer. Plus, you're staying at AKL! Getting back there mid-late afternoon and enjoying the resort sounds like heaven to me! It's such a beautiful resort and has so much to offer. Then you're all rested for your early morning the next day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter