Visit Universal before or after WDW?

dizplanner

DIS Veteran
I'm planning a trip in early December - 7 nights at WDW (currently have a 1 bedroom villa at VWL Dec 6-13, but I can shift it right now - will try for AKL at 7 months) and 2 nights at Universal (probably Royal Pacific). We've done split trips before, but last time was in 2009, so before Harry Potter opened.
I'm thinking it would be better to do WDW first and Universal after, but I thought I would get your opinions.

It will be myself and my husband and possibly my 23 year old daughter.

I just purchased two 6 day MYW WDW tickets from Undercover Tourist because of the price increase - I figure I should purchase two Universal tickets, but I'm not sure if I should get 2 day park to park or 3 day park to park. Previously I won't have bothered with the park to park, but sounds like you need it to ride the Hogworts Express train. With the new Harry Potter rides opening in Universal Studios, I was wondering if we need to take advantage of the early admission on two days - once per park. I'm thinking if we do it after, we might want 3 day tickets - come over on Saturday afternoon and catch any evening shows, do early admission on Sunday in IOA, do early admission on Monday in US and then leave about 2 pm to catch the flight home.
If we stay at Universal first, we would fly in, do early admission at IOA one day, do early admission at US the next and that evening move to WDW. Then I only need 2 day tickets. We live in Colorado so the two hour time difference means we would be getting to the hotel 4-5 pm on our arrival date.

With FOTL I'm not worried about crowds, but are there Christmas activities that are only on the weekends? I thought I read about concerts that are only on Saturday and Sunday last year. Were they worth making sure we are there on a weekend night? Does the Macy parade run every night or only on weekends? And the Christmas activities don't start until the first Saturday in December?

So what do you suggest - Universal before or after WDW?

We have done split stays both ways; universal before and after. I would definitely go to Disney if you get there on Sunday or another weekday. Crowds should be really light on weekdays that time of year. Crowds are always bigger on the weekend regardless of the time of year. Onsite at Universal with on Friday and Saturday will be nice and make FOTL worth while.
The last time we did Disney second it was sort of painful after getting spoiled with FOTL at Universal. But I think the crowds were higher for us then they will be for you in early December.

Side note- the current Universal ticket special is "3rd Day Free" for US and Canada residents when you buy 2 day tix.

DVC at WDW.

RPR at Universal.

FP+ vs Unlimited Express Pass.

The eternal dilemma of which to choose. The question of what is more important to you.

Although it won't be as painful as if you were going from a 1 bedroom at OKW, if you go from the villa to Royal Pacific, you will really feel how small a hotel room is.

But if you go from the fabulous and wonderful Unlimited Express Pass to the "I wonder if it's still 'in testing' by then, rather limited" FP+, you'll be missing the EP to the point of nearing pain.

What's more important? What's less important? Only you can decide.

(and yes we did once go from a 2 bedroom with 8 people then studio with just the 3 of us at OKW, to a standard room at RPR, and the 3 of us felt like we were tripping over each other and constantly in each other's way at RPR, LOL)

Universal after Disney...Once you do Universal( and stay onsite) and the express passes it will ruin you for WDW and FP+.I would plan on 3 days.It will give you time to do over favorites , or if it is busy ( and the Harry Potter stuff will be) it gives you more time to see it.Park to Park will be neccessary for the Hogwarts Express

universal after disney...once you do universal( and stay onsite) and the express passes it will ruin you for wdw and fp+.i would plan on 3 days.it will give you time to do over favorites , or if it is busy ( and the harry potter stuff will be) it gives you more time to see it.park to park will be neccessary for the hogwarts express

+1000

Universal after Disney...Once you do Universal( and stay onsite) and the express passes it will ruin you for WDW and FP+.I would plan on 3 days.It will give you time to do over favorites , or if it is busy ( and the Harry Potter stuff will be) it gives you more time to see it.Park to Park will be neccessary for the Hogwarts Express

:thumbsup2 Totally agree with this!! We went to Uni after WDW and couldn't believe how amazing it was. We loved it and wished we would have spent more time there.

I agree with the others. Universal after Disney works best when staying onsite and its a great relaxing way to end a long vacation :thumbsup2

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun:)

I'm planning a trip in early December - 7 nights at WDW (currently have a 1 bedroom villa at VWL Dec 6-13, but I can shift it right now - will try for AKL at 7 months) and 2 nights at Universal (probably Royal Pacific). We've done split trips before, but last time was in 2009, so before Harry Potter opened.
I'm thinking it would be better to do WDW first and Universal after, but I thought I would get your opinions.

It will be myself and my husband and possibly my 23 year old daughter.

I just purchased two 6 day MYW WDW tickets from Undercover Tourist because of the price increase - I figure I should purchase two Universal tickets, but I'm not sure if I should get 2 day park to park or 3 day park to park. Previously I won't have bothered with the park to park, but sounds like you need it to ride the Hogworts Express train. With the new Harry Potter rides opening in Universal Studios, I was wondering if we need to take advantage of the early admission on two days - once per park. I'm thinking if we do it after, we might want 3 day tickets - come over on Saturday afternoon and catch any evening shows, do early admission on Sunday in IOA, do early admission on Monday in US and then leave about 2 pm to catch the flight home.
If we stay at Universal first, we would fly in, do early admission at IOA one day, do early admission at US the next and that evening move to WDW. Then I only need 2 day tickets. We live in Colorado so the two hour time difference means we would be getting to the hotel 4-5 pm on our arrival date.

With FOTL I'm not worried about crowds, but are there Christmas activities that are only on the weekends? I thought I read about concerts that are only on Saturday and Sunday last year. Were they worth making sure we are there on a weekend night? Does the Macy parade run every night or only on weekends? And the Christmas activities don't start until the first Saturday in December?

So what do you suggest - Universal before or after WDW?

Are u sure u want to give up VWL @ Xmas?;)it's so well-themed for that time of year.

typically, you could add on a day to the tickets when there before they expire

For late arrival as you describe, despite the conventional wisdom as to 'doing' U first because of FOTL, I would select whatever park has the latest hours, including expected EMH @ WDW. check the 'historical' park hours, since early December may have earlier closings that you expect.

If flying, you might want to do Disney last, only so you can do all the airport stuff at the resort (provided you're staying onsite). Being able to go straight to security is a huge benefit to us.

I agree with the others. Universal after Disney works best when staying onsite and its a great relaxing way to end a long vacation :thumbsup2

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun:)

This. If you weren't staying onsite (easy travel to the parks) and weren't going to have EP, the answer might be different.

you will need park-to-park tickets to take the Hogwarts Train. But I wouldn't buy them now -- the 3rd day free offer is only good until May and hopefully there will be another offer after that (or maybe a price increase, but who knows?)

No wrong choice, IMO!
We enjoy both parks, but the Express Pass is SOOOO nice.
We just did a 17 day trip over the holidays, with Universal first, then WDW. Disney's FP+ mess left us with a bit of a bad taste...but we still had a great trip.

The Macy's Parade usually runs every evening, but renegade bad weather can shorten, and occasionally cancel it. Also, another thing to consider is that the park hours may be reduced somewhat..(i.e. close at 6/7 instead of 8-11 range you'll see later in the month.)

Our last three visits:
Arrive MCO using FLTours to UO.
Two nights at Royal Pacific Resort enjoying the Early Entry and Front of the Line benefits at UO. (It's almost unfair, you feel guilty at first, but you get over it!).

Then we transfer to WDW using FL Tours (and their market stop) and four or five nights at BC with Park Hopper passes. ME to airport at end of stay.

Honestly, it is a bit of a let-down going from UO to WDW. Next time we may try WDW->UO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter