VISA # stolen

tennvalgirl

DIS Veteran
Anybody else have their credit card number stole last week? I wonder if I should stop using Redbox :confused3 Ughh...

Edited to add that everything is okay now I just wondered if anyone else had trouble. Thanks

I had mine stolen earlier this year. VISA caught it, and refused the charge.
They wouldn't tell me how they detected it, but my buddies in law enforcement tell me these days, about half the time credit card fraud isn't a case of someone stealing your credit number, but it is a case of them using a random number generator and they happen to find a valid credit card number....yours, and attempt to charge on it.
I was sweating it as this happened 10 days before we were leaving on vacation, and I only have that credit card. But they overnighted me a new card with a new number. But 6 months later I am still finding my old number on accounts (Like Amazon) that I haven't used since the number was changed......so the biggest issue was updating the accounts that have my credit card linked to it.

VISA also caught it very quickly :thumbsup2
You're probably right tvguy I was just wondering if there was a large group of numbers sold to somebody and I too only have the ONE card. Ughh

Had my discover card # stolen once. I found some weird charges from all over California at gas stations... ironically, they were all 76 gas stations... makes me wonder if the one i go to has a card reader... i never went back afterwards...

Had my discover card # stolen once. I found some weird charges from all over California at gas stations... ironically, they were all 76 gas stations... makes me wonder if the one i go to has a card reader... i never went back afterwards...

I wonder this too. My card wasn't stolen just my #. And I had my # memorized!

not my Visa but my Discover card........

14 days ago i got a call from the fraud department.
my card was used in 3 different places in Brooklyn.
(I live in chicago area)

3 charges went through before it was caught.

new card with new account number received 4 days later.

used that card for 3 days and receive another call from the fraud department of my new card being used at an organic store in Los Angles.

Card then deactivated and a new one received by express a few days later.

so far i have been using this card for 3 days now.

i'm waiting for another call from the fraud department.....

Oh no macraven. I will be waiting for another call I guess but maybe your latest card will work for you.

Yes, master card. Thieves stink. I don't use Redbox, I'm not sure where they stole it. I have two cards, one for local and one for online. The local one got stolen. They made a new card and spent about $1,000 before my card company shut it down :(

Yes, master card. Thieves stink. I don't use Redbox, I'm not sure where they stole it. I have two cards, one for local and one for online. The local one got stolen. They made a new card and spent about $1,000 before my card company shut it down :(

It amazes me that someone is smart enough and resourceful enough to make their own Credit Card at home in their basement, or kitchen, or wherever. That does stink :headache:

My Visa debit card Number, actually DH's, was stolen about a week or 2 ago. They used it to charge $145 a couple hours from where I live and then tried to charge another $189 and my bank declined that charge and called us to verify. The bank is investigating and have temporarily refunded us the $145. They seem to think my DH used his card somewhere that someone had put a sensor (possibly at a gas pump) to steal his card # and then make a new card. We stopped using our cards anywhere an employee doesn't swipe the card...like Redbox and gas stations at the pumps.

There are too many people in this country that don't want to take pride in earning their own money. It's ridiculous.

Yea in the past I think we have been stolen twice and then an attempt to steal was stopped.

It was probably a "Hot Topic" at the mall and a "Panera" in the city with the 2 stolen numbers.

They were trying to buy a tractor with the one that was stopped. I mean really.:headache:

Mine has been stolen twice, DH's once, and our work card three times. One of the work cards was used to buy movie tickets in Bahrain.

This is why I don't use a debit card.

Yea in the past I think we have been stolen twice and then an attempt to steal was stopped.

It was probably a "Hot Topic" at the mall and a "Panera" in the city with the 2 stolen numbers.

They were trying to buy a tractor with the one that was stopped. I mean really.:headache:

Who puts a tractor on a credit card?:confused: I had my number stolen a few months ago. THe people tried to buy two big screen TVs online, one at Walmart and one at Circuit City, over $1000 each! Luckily, Chase Bank realized that that was waaaaay out of the norm for me and refused to honor the charge. They shut my account down immediately and issued me a new card and acct # within a couple days.

Who puts a tractor on a credit card?:confused: I had my number stolen a few months ago. THe people tried to buy two big screen TVs online, one at Walmart and one at Circuit City, over $1000 each! Luckily, Chase Bank realized that that was waaaaay out of the norm for me and refused to honor the charge. They shut my account down immediately and issued me a new card and acct # within a couple days.

I know right? Who knows what was actually going down but that is how it came across to the CC company.

Thankfully they called us on that one.

A few years ago one of my bosses had his credit card stolen the old-fashioned way--someone on the building cleaning crew pulled an actual imprinted receipt from his trash can--and the geniuses used it to pay their own home electric bill and to order mail order items delivered to their home address.

Thank heavens that many criminals just aren't too bright, but some of them are very clever.

There are a thousand high-tech and low-tech methods that a card can be compromised. Numbers are stolen in bulk and electronically from credit card issuers, payment processors, etc. and the lists are sold online. Skimming devices are installed over or in place of legitimate card readers on gas pumps, Redbox locations and the like and card numbers or even PINs are obtained that way. Thieves also can intercept new credit cards en route to the owner, take the numbers or clone the cards, activate them and then put them back in the envelope like nothing ever happened. Through phishing scams fraudsters send you an email purporting to be from your credit card company to get you to go to a Web site they have set up where you are asked to enter all of your card and personal info for "security" purposes or something like that, or they can call you and try to do basically the same thing over the phone.

OMG I just got off the phone with my mom and this just happened today! She bought an iPad and took it to Verizon yesterday to have them set it up, walk her through, get a plan, etc. They were walking her through iTunes. This morning she logs onto iTunes and it shows $40 in charges for iTunes stuff that she never ordered. I think it might have happened at the kiosk in the mall where the Verizon guy brought her to purchase some type of plastic cover for it. Very dicey if you ask me.

It's happened to us 3 times in the last 10 years or so. Each time it's caught by Chase, before the charges go through, and they overnight a new card to us. I am not worried about, they catch the fraud, no money is stolen from me, and we move on. This is why I also do not use a debit card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter