Visa Gift Card Dining

team_honda

Earning My Ears
We were looking at picking up $100 Visa gift cards from Walmart tonight, we can use them just a like a credit card/debit card, but on the card it states will not work if the place you are at requires a pin number to deduct money. Do the Dinesy restaurants require a pin number how about other places do they? I really don't want to carry cash nor use the credit card the whole time and this idea seemed good, in a way it is like a travelers check but in the form of a card. Any feedback?

When I went to Disney, I wasn't on the DDP so my father took my money and bought 3 Visa gift cards. He put 400 on each one (in case something happened & I lost one) I used them in every restaurant, counter service, and store at Disney. Usually you can only do credit w/ gift cards, so they'll just swipe it & have you sign for whatever you buying. :thumbsup2

Disney World cash registers are not set up to either accept a PIN or to give cash back on a Debit or Gift card. We treat all card transactions as a Credit Card and ask for a signature. (Note that some food or merchandise purchases below a certain dollar amount will not require a signature, but that is Disney's policy.)

No Disney World cash registers are set up to either require a PIN or to give cash back on a Debit or Gift card. We treat all card transactions as a Credit Card and ask for a signature. (Note that some food or merchandise purchases below a certain dollar amount will not require a signature, but that is Disney's policy.)

Kind of Confused here, maybe I'm reading too much in to it, but So if I use a Visa gift card I'll have to enter a pin number or will it be treated as a credit card? and not request a pin?

I install and service point of sale computer systems, and deal a LOT with credit processing. One thing you need to know if you do decide to use a gift card with a Visa logo on it is you may get an unpleasant surprise if you try to use it in multiple locations throughout the day. Since these gift cards represent REAL money that you have already paid out for the card, and most credit card transactions are not actually deducted at the time you make your purchase,(they just get an authorization) a lot of times the card processor will put a hold of up to $50 or more on your card, even if the transaction is only a few dollars. This is a way of protecting the merchant, and the credit card company, and most people who have these gift cards do not know about this until they try to use it at several locations in the same day. The hold drops off after 2 or 3 days, but since the transactions are not actually settled until the end of the day in most instances, it would theoretically be possible to use the card for more than is on it. That's the reason for the large holds on the card. So if you do get that card, you may use it once or twice, and not be able to use it any more that day. I am not sure if ALL visa gift cards work this way, but have had more than my share of clients calling me telling me that their customers insist there is plenty of money on the card, but it won't go through.

I prefer buying Disney giftcards for use at Disney parks. It has worked very well at Disneyland, and I expect it will work even better (b/c I've heard that most of the outdoor carts can take plastic there) at Disneyworld.

I still don't know what we are going to use for money yet, I better figure it out quick since we leave on Wednesday morning. I really hate using Credit cards but I don't want to carry a bunch of cash on me grrrrrr

Good old fashiooned travels checks are acceptable in the parks.

You oculd do a combo checks and visa card.

herc.

We were looking at picking up $100 Visa gift cards from Walmart tonight, we can use them just a like a credit card/debit card, but on the card it states will not work if the place you are at requires a pin number to deduct money. Do the Dinesy restaurants require a pin number how about other places do they? I really don't want to carry cash nor use the credit card the whole time and this idea seemed good, in a way it is like a travelers check but in the form of a card. Any feedback?

I know some of the others may have already spoken-up, but...

Disney, like many other resorts around the world, accepts all major-branded bank cards (MC, Visa, AmEx, Discover, and a few foreign-branded cards like JCB), whether they be a credit card, debit card, or gift card.

Just remember, if you are offered the choice of "credit or debit" when using a Visa gift card, always use "credit", so that your transaction will be processed on Visa's network.

Also, if you happen to be a AAA member, AAA also offers Visa gift cards (at a discount to members). Same for the American Express GC's you will find at the conceirge desk at a lot of malls in the U.S.

Hercamore, I didn't even think of that! I guess I'm just too worried and excited right now! I think that's maybe what I'll do I just talked to dh about it and he said that's what we will probably do.
Also I love the picture of the beagle it reminds me how cute mine was once upon a time! lol

I think we are going to do some in Traveler's Checks, and maybe one or two Visa gift cards and then only carry about $100 in cash. Thanks everyone for your input!!!

Team Honda (and anyone else interested),

I forgot to mention something very important when using a major-branded gift card (particularly, at restaraunts and gas stations).

Once the card is "swiped" at any sit-down/table service restaraunt, a gratuity of anywhere between 15-20% is automatically "locked" against your card for a period of anywhere between 24-48 hours (even longer on holiday weekends).

This "lock" normally falls off when the restaraunt reconciles their slips (where you write-in the tip amont) with their credit card processor, who in turn, posts the correct purchase to your GC.

For those buying gas, it gets even worse (particualrly, since prices spiked, a couple of years ago). Some pay-at-the-pump places will "lock" up to $75 on your GC (best solution, there is to either pre-pay inside the gas station or buy a gift card branded for that specific gas station/c-store chain).

My recommendation for the travelers who insist on bringing seperate pieces of plastic on the trip - bring-along your Gift Cards and use them for merchandise/fast-food only and pay for those sit-down meals with traveler's checks/cash/Disney dollars.

Just my .02...

Another thing to be careful of is if your card has say $25 left on it and your meal at a table service restaurant is $25 (won't happen at Disney, just an example) the card will be declined. This is because they attempt to hold an extra 15-20% against the card to cover gratuity. So while your meal is $25, they may be trying to authorize the card for $35, which you don't have on the card.

Another thing to be careful of is if your card has say $25 left on it and your meal at a table service restaurant is $25 (won't happen at Disney, just an example) the card will be declined. This is because they attempt to hold an extra 15-20% against the card to cover gratuity. So while your meal is $25, they may be trying to authorize the card for $35, which you don't have on the card.

Will this extra amount they are holding be printed on the cc slip that you sign? If it isn't, then how can they authorize your card for $35 when you've only signed for $25?

Is it better to just pay cash?

Please help me understand...because I really don't...and am certainly not questioning the reasoning.

Why use gift cards? I've read the posts to this point but still don't understand the pros/cons.

Why wouldn't you just use a credit card (like the Disney Visa) and get points for all your purchases?

TIA.

Please help me understand...because I really don't...and am certainly not questioning the reasoning.

Why use gift cards? I've read the posts to this point but still don't understand the pros/cons.

Why wouldn't you just use a credit card (like the Disney Visa) and get points for all your purchases?

TIA.

Agreed. :thumbsup2

Will this extra amount they are holding be printed on the cc slip that you sign? If it isn't, then how can they authorize your card for $35 when you've only signed for $25?

Is it better to just pay cash?

No, it isn't printed on the slip. While they may authorize for the higher amount, they only charge what you sign for. Just like when paying at the pump for gas. They will usually authorize for a set amount of money but then only charge to the card what you actually purchase.

I buy the Visa gift cards for my sons, now 13 and 17 to carry around in case they get hungry, if we've separated. They like to venture on their own to "do rides". They've never had a problem using them, mainly cs. My younger son has to stop and buy a churro whenever he sees a vendor selling them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter