• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Virus

han1211

Earning My Ears
I have been reading the posts, it seems like the majority of people on cruises do not get sick (i.e. norwalk virus). We will be a group of 2 adults, no kids, so, am I being paranoid to pack my anti-bacterial wipes and hand sanitizer?

Can you ease my mind? Thanks!
Han's Wife (mermaid593)

I've been on three cruises and so far have never gotten sick. I did get a cold from the plane ride home, but that's another story...

That being said, if you would feel more comfortable bringing your anti-bacterial wipes and hand sanitizer, I don't see why you shouldn't. They don't take up much room and if it will put your mind at ease, I say go for it.

The only thing you'd have to worry about getting sick is from eating too much food. A couple of night, they practically had to roll me out of the restaurant I ate too much!!! lol!

Have fun
Katdb

Kids or no kids you can't be too careful this time of year. We took our own antibacterial soap for the room on our cruise last week and washed our hands many times more than we normally would. I took hand sanitizer and ended up never using it, there are enough opportunities to actually wash your hands which is so much safer anyway. Being extra cautious never hurts like not using the handrails on the stairs, opening bathroom doors with paper towels etc. Have a great time :wave:

Antibacterial soap will do nothing to prevent a virus.

If you are worried about a contact transmitted virus, limit the contact. Use a paper towel to open doors, flush public toilets, don't shake hands, etc.

The worse culprits on a cruise is probably elevator buttons, door handles, and hand rails. A second is cash (money really is filthy). On a Disney ship, the pen you hand to the character to sign something...

Use common sense and you'll probably be OK.

As for the kids in clubs...that's another story.

Thanks! I really appreciate it everyone. You all have been a great source of great info.! (mermaid593)

When we were on the Wonder this summer they had anti-bacterial wipes in a bowl outside of Parrot Cay's restaurant. This was just months after the "virus incident" was in the news.

:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :Pinkbounc

Oh....you just reminded me that each time I picked my DS up at the Oceaneer's Club last week, they made us use one of those wipes before we could go inside. DS had to use one as he entered and told me they made them wash their hands with soap at least 3 times in a 2 hour period. I think that's great, washing hands is the best way to prevent things from spreading.

My motto is, "Antibacterial wipes...don't leave home without 'em"!

My DD thinks that I am crazy, but I pack the disinfecting wipes, and the individual alcohol wipes with me. The first thing that I do is clean all the drawer knobs, door knobs, remote control, telephone (this time there was an unusual brown mark on the phone) before I do anything else. The staterooms are cleaned before you board, but not cleaned well enough if the person in the room before you is sick. Case closed with the brown spot that came right off the phone. Last night the remote control dropped behind the pull out bed, and I had to move the bed to retrieve it. Behind the bed was all sorts of popcorn, candy, etc... I like to be sure that everything I will be touching all week is germ free.

Robin

Moocow35~ It must be a CT thing-I do that too LOL!. I pack alcohol wipes in the first aid kit & wipe down the phone, door knobs & remote as I don't want anyone else's left over germs either!

We usually take the stairs so we are not couped up with lots of people in the elevators. Faster too!

~ Linda :boat:

What about a small can on Lysol spray? Could it be packed in carry on or checked luggage?
I took some on vacation at Christmas. Didn't use it at All Star Music, but on the way home to Texas, we stayed at a hotel that I felt needed some extra cleaning, so I sprayed everything. (remote, sink knobs, etc...) Made me feel alot better!

Originally posted by GenieDana
Antibacterial soap will do nothing to prevent a virus.

I disagree, good hand washing is a great prevention for the speading of germs. (Preferably with plain soap)

I too use disinfecting wipes. I put one of the soft packets of Clorox wipes in large ziploc bag and throw in a few smaller bags as well. We use a wipe on the plane to clean the metal part of the seat belt and tray table. You would be grossed out if you saw the stuff I get off of there! I put the wipe in a small bag when I'm done because the smell is kind of strong and I don't want people around me to get ticked off.

We do the same thing on the cruise and in hotel rooms --disinfect everything. We also bring liquid soap and Purell. We've cruised three times and have taken at least four trips to WDW. No one in my family has been sick on a trip yet.

I know it all sounds a little nutty, but it works. When I think of how much money we spend on all these trips, a few minutes of cleaning and washing your hands to protect your family isn't really a big deal.

(Side note: the two bottles of soap for the split bath and Wipes & Purell take up a little room in your bag, but since you use it all up, you have a extra space in your luggage for gifts/etc. on the way home).:D

We carry Purell in our camera bags, beach bags, carry-on bags, & my purse. We never go to WDW without it. I keep Purell on my desk at work. I believe it does kill germs.

Originally posted by dianthus
Moocow35~ It must be a CT thing-I do that too LOL!. I pack alcohol wipes in the first aid kit & wipe down the phone, door knobs & remote as I don't want anyone else's left over germs either!

We usually take the stairs so we are not couped up with lots of people in the elevators. Faster too!

~ Linda :boat:

I don't think it's limited to CT - I think we are all getting a bit more germ conscious. I don't drink from water fountains and won't let the kids do it either!

And I keep my papertowel in my hand til I get the bathroom door open, then I throw it away. Why touch the handle that someone's E.coli is on!!!

Rae

Another good reason to be careful. This morning out on my veranda, enjoying my last cup of coffee on this trip:( and the stateroom right next to me, the kid was coughing so much and making all sorts of vomiting sounds. I was so disgusted that I went inside. (I went back out when I heard them leave) Later today eating at Cookies BBQ, I over heard two men talking who obviously had met at the onboard Doctors this morning. One of the guys children was quarentined to the room. Later, at guest services getting my tip envelopes together, another lady was saying that there was ALOT of people sick and down at the Doctors this morning.

Bring your wipes and alcohol!!! Clean everything in the stateroom! TV remote and phone especially!

Robin

Moocow35,

How awful! Not a fun way to spend veranda time. I may be paranoid, but hopefully, I will be a healthy paranoid person.:scared1:

Originally posted by CheapMom
I disagree, good hand washing is a great prevention for the speading of germs. (Preferably with plain soap)

Do you treat a cold with antibiotics?

Washing away the viral media from you hands (even if you manage to accomplish that), plain soap works just as well as antibacterial soap.

My point was that limiting contact is a more certain prevention, than a reliance on any soaps as a false sense of security from viral infection.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter