• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Virtual Schools??

sbpebbles

DIS Veteran
This maybe a little offtopic and if so moderator please feel free to move this..I know there was a thread awhile ago regarding virtual schools..I need some first hand experience with virtual school especially those with elementary children..my dd is only in the first grade but due to health issues has missed almost a month of classes so far..i seen an ad on tv for virtual schools and read an article about them in a local newspaper and saw some good things..so for those with actual experience please tell me if I could be headed in the right direction or not..I need to make a decision by the 19th since that is when our states open enrollment ends and they will only allow 5000 kids in virtual programs..Also my daughter has a learning disability(mainly speech which i could get help with from an outside source if need be) so legally I don't know if I could even enroll her in it..I just want to hear your thoughts..thanks so much for your time!

Many school districts will allow you to continue theraphy in a school system if you homeschool or are in a virtual school. I know where we live the GA Virtual school is actually considered public school. It's just done at home. If you have an IEP you should be able to continue with therapy. Call your district to ask the questions. Talk to the special needs coordinator to see what the protocal is.

Good luck:grouphug:

I don't know if this is an option, but where I live they have homebound teachers that are employed by the public schools and work with children in their home due to medical issues. It seems like a combination of both public school curriculum w/a teacher assigned, but also like homeschool.

You've probably seen ads for K12. K12 is an online school/curriculum that can be purchased by homeschoolers, but is also the virtual public school for over 30 states. K12 is also used by the state department for their families overseas, as well as many military families and elite athletes. DD11 has been using K12 for a little over a year. It is VERY well put together and extremely thorough.

This is our second year with Connections Academy and love the program. Provide a laptop for older children, not sure if they still are desktop for the younger or laptops. All the books supplies.
Everything is paid for as the same distrabution your child would have gone to the home district.

In our state, we are PIAA and that allows the kids to participate in the home school system sports.

There are live lessons with each subject, the teachlets have a movie, and reviews. Some kids move ahead, some on pace, some are a bit slower. It is good with my dd as she had anxiety/panic and school phobic from bullying. Also, the school only provided 5 hrs of home bound teacher instruction a week. Not good to keep up with the material.

Her live lessons have a classroom type set up and are recorded. The lessons are not too difficult, and not too easy.

There is a regular amount of socialization with at least 30 activities across the state we are in for the kids to attend outings, special classes and school trips. There is one coming up for Philadelphia in April for Picaso and hands on Art lesson.

I was so frustrated with the lack of our local school system to aggressivly address the bullying, especially as she had the anxiety disorder. Very bright, but socially she suffers. She does have one closer friend that visits. When the gf tells dd to log on and join a chat with other friends she gets very anxious.

I have her join several local committies with me, photography club, business group, rec association.

But, if you go to www.connectionsacademy.com you can find the information for your state to read.

Also connection family here in Oregon. A 4th grader, 2nd grade, and a kinder next year. We love connections and have been doing it for 4 yrs. They let the kids go at their pace. 2nd grader is only six and did 1st grade in 4 months. 4th grader just took state testing and got scored at 7th grade level. This is a child that is ADHD and they in kinder the brick and mortor school wanted to hold him back. We love connections and would recommend it to anyone.

plus,if you can't find a virtual school homeschooling is a legal and viable option in every state-

My son is enrolled in the Wisconsin Connections Academy. It's run out of the Appleton school district. He's in his second year and absolutely loves it. I'm happy with the quality of curriculum, the support from teachers, and the opportunities to socialize on field trips. This year so far, we've visited Cave of the Mounds, a pumpkin farm for Halloween, Discovery World Museum, the Jelly Belly Factory, and attended a magic show at the Milwaukee Central Library. They offer at least one field trip a month in different parts of the state, so there's plenty of opportunity to get together with other families no matter where you live. The school provided us with books, curriculum guides, art materials, math manipulatives, science experiment components, a computer, printer, headset and microphone, plus they reimburse us for internet service. The website is www.connectionsacademy.com. You'll find a lot of great info on the overall program and Wisconsin in particular. :thumbsup2

Edited to add: There are some online info sessions this week for WCA if you're interested. I think there's one tonight. You can register for it on the website.

We go through Florida Virtual School but it is K12. I know my sons teachers are local. this is our first semester in it and I am loving it. Though, technically, I am a homeschooler. We only use the virtual school for some lessons.

If your DD wants to learn a foreign language, I love www.livemocha.com It is free to use and has many different languages.

My son is enrolled in the Wisconsin Connections Academy. It's run out of the Appleton school district. He's in his second year and absolutely loves it. I'm happy with the quality of curriculum, the support from teachers, and the opportunities to socialize on field trips. This year so far, we've visited Cave of the Mounds, a pumpkin farm for Halloween, Discovery World Museum, the Jelly Belly Factory, and attended a magic show at the Milwaukee Central Library. They offer at least one field trip a month in different parts of the state, so there's plenty of opportunity to get together with other families no matter where you live. The school provided us with books, curriculum guides, art materials, math manipulatives, science experiment components, a computer, printer, headset and microphone, plus they reimburse us for internet service. The website is www.connectionsacademy.com. You'll find a lot of great info on the overall program and Wisconsin in particular. :thumbsup2

Edited to add: There are some online info sessions this week for WCA if you're interested. I think there's one tonight. You can register for it on the website.

thank you so much for this info..she does have an IEP so I will talk to her school..I like the idea she can work at her own pace..I just have a feeling they will try to talk me out of it due to not being in a traditional setting..but i figure it can't hurt..esp if they provide everything you say they do... thanks again!

thank you so much for this info..she does have an IEP so I will talk to her school..I like the idea she can work at her own pace..I just have a feeling they will try to talk me out of it due to not being in a traditional setting..but i figure it can't hurt..esp if they provide everything you say they do...i wonder what school district ours would be run out of since we're in dodge county, any ideas?? thanks again!

The Appleton School District runs the Wisconsin Connections Academy for the whole state. You don't have to go to Appleton for anything. They handle everything by email, phone and mail. The school even provides prepaid envelopes to send in assignments. You don't send in everything, just select assignments. We get regular phone calls and emails from my son's teacher. He also participates in an online lesson once a week with his teacher and classmates. Your local school will probably not be thrilled you want to transfer your daughter to WCA, but you have to do what you feel is in her best interest and they have to accept your decision. :flower3:

The Appleton School District runs the Wisconsin Connections Academy for the whole state. You don't have to go to Appleton for anything. They handle everything by email, phone and mail. The school even provides prepaid envelopes to send in assignments. You don't send in everything, just select assignments. We get regular phone calls and emails from my son's teacher. He also participates in an online lesson once a week with his teacher and classmates. Your local school will probably not be thrilled you want to transfer your daughter to WCA, but you have to do what you feel is in her best interest and they have to accept your decision. :flower3:

yeah i edited the post after i reread yours lol...what grade is your son in? i think this might be the best option for her so she can take it easy, get healthy but at the same time learn and not miss so much that she is missing right now...like i said I"ll talk to the school but I think I'll be on my own for this..do the teachers work with the IEP with WCA? that would be my biggest concern i guess.thanks again

We use the K12 program through South Carolina Virtual schools. We LOVE it. My 4th grader was absolutely drowning in her brick and mortar school here. These days? She is doing very well and loving being homeschooled. It is literally homeschooling for dummies. If I can do it? ANYONE can.

My son is in 2nd grade. He went to traditional kindergarten, which we loved, but based on previous experience with my 2 older children at the school, we knew we'd encounter some problems that I just didn't want to face again, nor put my son through. He's really thriving and likes the opportunity to do extra courses. Last year he took Music and Spanish. This year he's doing Music again, but switched to French. He seems to like it better. They also have lots of clubs the kids can join, like student newspaper, poetry, chess, and art. I'm sorry I don't know much about the IEP question. I know if you do the online information session, you're given the opportunity to ask questions. I remember in the application process it asked if my son had an IEP and if so, to submit a copy, so they must be able to work with you.

My dd16 did Ohio Virtual academy by K12 for 7th and 8th and my dd10 did it for 1st...we LOVED it...very easy to follow the cirriculum and it is pretty advanced (i.e...dd10 when she was a first grader did history lessons based on topics my older dd did in 5th grade).

The only reason we quit was because we moved to a city in Wi with waaaaayyyyy better public schools than we had in Toledo. But if we ever had a need , we would switch back in a heartbeat!

They provided computers for each child, all materials/books/supplies (except notebooks, computer paper, etc) and we got an allowance for our internet fees (although I don't know what they offer now, its been a couple of years).

You can go to the K12 website and see sample lessons..

My son is in 2nd grade. He went to traditional kindergarten, which we loved, but based on previous experience with my 2 older children at the school, we knew we'd encounter some problems that I just didn't want to face again, nor put my son through. He's really thriving and likes the opportunity to do extra courses. Last year he took Music and Spanish. This year he's doing Music again, but switched to French. He seems to like it better. They also have lots of clubs the kids can join, like student newspaper, poetry, chess, and art. I'm sorry I don't know much about the IEP question. I know if you do the online information session, you're given the opportunity to ask questions. I remember in the application process it asked if my son had an IEP and if so, to submit a copy, so they must be able to work with you.

OMG my daughter would LOVE to take spanish..do they really offer it for 1st graders? she's always asking me how to say things in spanish and i only know the bare basics..do you know how long the information sessions take? I'm considering registering for the one tonight but I have to make an international call at 7, it's something I do every Monday..do you remember how long it took for the application to be approved? I'm starting to think maybe I got into this too late seeing as how we only have 4 more days left..thanks!

ok so i did the online forum and it appears that WCA MIGHT not be a good fit for my dd since she does have the IEP and they can only accept certain IEPs so i might just attend the open house on Thur..boy oh boy am i cutting this close...

We have used the virtual school here in Pa..its called PAVCS (Pennsylvania Virtual Charter School) and we LOVE it. They use the K12 program. They are set up very similar to what the poster from Connections academy put in here so I will not repeat her. She is pretty thorough.
Basically the virtual programs are set up to tell you what to say. It will say for example..tell your child that a verb is an action word...then it will have examples to help guide you and the lessons. While it is homeschooling, the difference is that we do not create the plans. they are set up for us....it really is very easy to follow and you dont have to be a rocket scientist to follow it.
My kids are very different learners..my son is in 4th grade but takes advanced classes...he was extremely bored in the B&M school. My daughter on the other hand had teachers who failed her. She was passed along with no basic math skills and they said she could not read at all yet advanced her in grades each year...they wanted to put her in a special needs class and they even suggested she be put on medication for behavior. I did have her tested at their request....I took her to a Dr who practices at Childrens Hosp of Phila who said she is fine. They school fought me. My daughter still struggles with math but she is reading at a 3rd grade level and is in 2nd grade. When we started last year she could not read at all.
To the schools defense..I had a very dependent special needs daughter. I was not fully aware of the issues at school because they kept telling me she was fine. my focus unfortuantely was about 75 percent on caring for a terminally ill child and relying on my family and friends to pick up with my other kids where I was not able to. When my youngest passed away, after two years of being sick, I decided to try this approach of school to reconnect with my kids and see if the one on one helped in any way.

I have a few friends that started along with me....out of 10 friends, 2 put their kids back in school. One family it was due to the kids being teens and having the attitude I am not listening to you. They have the same attitude to teachers in pubilc school to but its alot less stressful for mom..LOL My other friend put her kids back as she said she did not realize the time involved in homeschooling.

I fine that I enjoy my kids so much more. It is a lot of work with the young kids. My son is more of a self guided learner so I just kinda set him up for lessons and I sit at the table with him and teach his sister, that way I am available for any questions. He usually does have a lot but then I know when he asks for help he is truly learning and paying attention. I am enrolling my other child next year when she is age-ready to start.

On one more FYI...our school also has and IEP. They have their own people so you might just have to have the virtual school do their own independent eval for a new IEP. Just ask....the worst the can say is we cant help you....

ok so i did the online forum and it appears that WCA MIGHT not be a good fit for my dd since she does have the IEP and they can only accept certain IEPs so i might just attend the open house on Thur..boy oh boy am i cutting this close...

Although my dd is gifted she does have an IEP from the home school. I need to contact PA Connections for a new one. I did wonder if other Connection Parents have the new program they are using forgot the name, Upward or something like that. I guess it is a PSSA use to review and improve score?

The open houses area great, informative and cover the program well. BUt, in PA, we were able to accept new program kids into the school year. There is no cut off, or lottery. I think the PA Charter school one of them did have a cutoff and last year was at top enrollment with a lottery system set up.

Virtual school are excellant in adaptive studies. My dd did get board at B & M school. She wanted more and the presented material is a one presentation to the entire class. Whether a slow learner or swift. You are limited.
She needs more time on a lab, then the teacher will move her on and she will submit it when completed.

When dd now wants to be exposed to more material on the subject, along with text book material the link on the page takes her to more material and approved links. Instead of just learning about the Cotton Gin, she can read how Eli Witney actually lost the patent and did make money on the Remington Rifal assembly line were parts are made to fit all guns by machines and not hand made to that one item.

She has labs with the items needed included. I was surprized how the lab reports have title pages, the hypothosis, data and results among some. The bibligrophy with references in the footnoot structure. I did not have that format until college, but that was 38 years ago......

:surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter