Virgin's DD check-in re-opening!

How would this work if you are staying off site and using virgin transfers to get to the airport.

It would be nice to spend our last day in Disney but if we have to get to DTD to check in and then back to the hotel for the transfer I am thinking it may just be easier to follow our original plans of returning the hire car first thing in the morning and stick to strolling around I-Drive forthe day.

Any help / tips would be appreciated.

please tell me all, i mean all we fly onn the 26th oct and return fortnight later. will this give us a full last day. thanks

Mandy, Virgin's Downtown Disney check-in is a useful feature which was stopped after the terrorist attacks of 9/11. It now looks like it is re-opening, which is great news.

The facility (which is in the car park at Downtown Disney, near the AMC movie theater if I remember correctly) opens each day 8.30am to 12.30pm, although it would be wise to check these times. You check-in in much the same way as you would at the airport: you need all your hold luggage, all your hand luggage and all the people you are travelling with. You will check-in your hold luggage, be issued with boarding cards and confirmed seats. The advantage of this is that you do not need to get to the airport until about 60 minutes before your departure time, rather than at least a couple of hours as you would normally. As the flights back to the UKi depart in the early evening you have a more or less full day to enjoy in the parks or somewhere else (although be aware that a heavy day's shopping is not advised as you will have already checked-in your luggage!).

Regards

Rob

hi simon
thank you for that bit of info:D
i will proberbly get a taxi to dtd checkin and then just head back to the resort to catch the transfer:D
eve

It used to be near the AMC movie theatre, but near the end of it's time it was based in the shadow of the big Cirque building so I assume it'll be back there. Buses no longer run to Westside so you'd have to get it to PI and walk from there (but that's only a couple of minutes walk), but lugging suitcases on a Disney bus would be a <i>total</i> nightmare, so I'd jump in a cab - it wouldn't be that expensive for people staying on site.

Checked FVC last week and advised whilst plans are under discussion, not yet decided on a specific reopening date.

They say will give major advertising/awareness once date decided.

Oh hurry, Virgin!!!

OK, here's a little more news. Virgin's DD check-in is open again NOW and has been since Oct 1. BUT, it is not being publicised as such until the new brochure for 2004 comes out in January. That means anyone on a Virgin package from now to Jan will find it as a pleasant surprise. BUT (another one!), there is a £5 surcharge for it until Jan 1 (don't ask me why). Logically, there will have to be a PE and UC check-in at DD, and the assumption is it is back at their old location outside Cirque.

More news when I have it! (And I'll be there next week to check it out ;) )

Fantastic Simon! :bounce: Do you think they will tell us at the outbound check-in desk? Presumably it's in the same place as before and we pay the charge there and then?

Alec :wave:

Simon

Funny how FVC told me to the contrary only last Wedsnesday, hey?

Is that £5 each - I guess so?:confused:

See you around next week!:hyper:

Simon, were on a Virgin Atlantic flight, not booked through Virgin Holidays. Will we be able to use it do you think?

I guess we can check for certain when we are at DTD.

Originally posted by edie w
Simon, were on a Virgin Atlantic flight, not booked through Virgin Holidays. Will we be able to use it do you think?

Yes you can - its a Virgin Atlantic perk - not a Virgin Holidays one :D

(unless they've changed the rules lol !!)

Used it yesterday (Fri), great to see it back. $5 charge (not £5) each. economy & seperate p.e desks. Is it bedtime yet?

can you use the downtown check in even if you havent hired a car,if yes any idea of the cost,and what does it entail

Just back from WDW and used Virgin's DD check-in. Turned up at 10.15 and there were only 3 families checking in, so no wait! Also, no sign of a $5 charge either :confused:

However, it is in exactly the same place as before, right outside Cirque du Soleil at DD West Side. It is open to ANY Virgin Atlantic passengers, as long as you can get there by hire car, bus or taxi. Taxis can be expensive, depending on where you need to travel from, and it might be better just to head back to the airport (where queues should now be shorter, although there will be less choice of seats by then).

Simon, Can you confirm if there was a seperate PE check-in desk please?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter