"Virginia moving to eliminate all accelerated math courses before 11th grade as part of equity-focused plan"

It doesn't hold them back. It doesn't eliminate those classes, except in name only. Instead of yearlong classes in one math subject, they treat it like building blocks where those math ideas are woven together in a way to build successfully on them.

So it would be new for your district. Change has to happen sometime. The truth is THIS kind of learning has been happening all over the country for many years, turning out highly successful students. So Virginia isn't reinventing the wheel, just catching up to what's going on elsewhere.

Also, those students who want extra just take dual enrollment classes for English & math at the local JC. My daughter is doing it with English. All high school students go for free and she earns both high school & college credit.
Just want to say it's not free to do dual enrollment in VA. The community college classes will cost.

I always shudder when I see district admins leaving it up to an individual teacher's ability to "differentiate." Some can do it, some can not. Woe to the child whose teacher falls into the latter group.

Just curious how this is going to work out for college entrance requirements. This may not necessarily conform to many college freshmen entrance requirements. I checked the requirements for several Virgnia public universities,. Some have a specific requirement for 3 years of math, including algebra 1, geometry, and algebra 2. Maybe the subject can be folded into the 9th/10th classes?

https://www.uvawise.edu/admissions/incoming-freshmen/admissions-requirements
  • Three (3) years of Mathematics, including Algebra I and II, and a third course to be chosen from: geometry, advanced algebra & trigonometry, calculus, or a related course.
https://vt.edu/admissions/undergraduate/apply/freshman-requirements.html
  • 3 units of math (includes algebra I, geometry, and algebra II)
I can't find anything specific for UVa or William & Mary. Some universities don't have specific requirements but will judge prospective students based on the classes they took.

Not quite what I remember in my California requirements, which were for 4 years (looks like it's now 3) including anything up to what we called "math analysis" (included trig and pre-calculus). Anyone accelerated would take algebra 1 in the 8th grade. I knew a few people who took a summer class somewhere to skip over one and I knew a few people who took a linear algebra class at a community college or even at a local university in the 12th grade. I just retook calculus (math 1B) my first semester in college. My AP Calculus BC passing score only got me 5.3 semester units but substituted for the math 1A/1B sequence. I needed a total of 16 for my graduation requirements.

Just want to say it's not free to do dual enrollment in VA. The community college classes will cost.

It depends on the district. My dd didn't want to take AP English, so she took dual enrollment English. The school didn't offer Honors English, but did offer dual enrollment on-site. There was a fee, but not tuition.

Also, I believe this is pretty similar to how Math is offered under the IB program.

The article is complete hogwash. Thomas Jefferson High School in Fairfax County is one of the top STEM high schools in the entire country. They are not dumbing down the curriculum at all....

This was my very first thought when I started reading this thread. TJHS isn't changing anything at all!

Isn't this realignment of math classes just the ol' New York state 'sequential math'? And Cali is reporting in on this thread that is how they do it as well? The full phase-in looks to be 7 years away.....

Just curious how this is going to work out for college entrance requirements. This may not necessarily conform to many college freshmen entrance requirements. I checked the requirements for several Virgnia public universities,. Some have a specific requirement for 3 years of math, including algebra 1, geometry, and algebra 2. Maybe the subject can be folded into the 9th/10th classes?

https://www.uvawise.edu/admissions/incoming-freshmen/admissions-requirements
  • Three (3) years of Mathematics, including Algebra I and II, and a third course to be chosen from: geometry, advanced algebra & trigonometry, calculus, or a related course.
https://vt.edu/admissions/undergraduate/apply/freshman-requirements.html
  • 3 units of math (includes algebra I, geometry, and algebra II)
I can't find anything specific for UVa or William & Mary. Some universities don't have specific requirements but will judge prospective students based on the classes they took.

Not quite what I remember in my California requirements, which were for 4 years (looks like it's now 3) including anything up to what we called "math analysis" (included trig and pre-calculus). Anyone accelerated would take algebra 1 in the 8th grade. I knew a few people who took a summer class somewhere to skip over one and I knew a few people who took a linear algebra class at a community college or even at a local university in the 12th grade. I just retook calculus (math 1B) my first semester in college. My AP Calculus BC passing score only got me 5.3 semester units but substituted for the math 1A/1B sequence. I needed a total of 16 for my graduation requirements.

The way it works in our district is that the math classes are all CP (College Prep) designated and they "meet the math requirements for entry into the UC system."

These math courses fold in all the Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, and statistics into a little bit of content every year, building up in difficulty. It starts in 7th grade and they start getting all those concepts introduced at that point.

For the struggling kids, they break down Math 1 into 2 years, then you take Math 2 junior year and Math 3 senior year. This allows kids a chance to catch up in 9th and 10th grade while still being able to catch up to the math requirement for college entry. The more advanced kids can potentially be done with Math 3 by Sophomore year and then can take calculus, statistics, etc as electives.

The year my twins were in 6th grade, the schools decided that students weren’t switching for math (previously 3 levels), my friend is a 6th grade teacher and said it didn’t work (his daughter, my daughter’s best friend, was also in 6th grade). Fortunately he was able to tutor my kids so they could test into algebra for 7th grade (my other kids never needed tutoring because they learned everything they needed in 6th grade math). He said it’s not possible to teach different levels in the same class, even breaking them into groups.
While not quite the same as what y'all are talking about my elementary school had split grades.

There were 2 teachers per grade but there was split grades. For example in 2nd grade (which is when I moved into that school district) I was in a class where the teacher had 2nd and 3rd graders in it and again in 3rd grade I actually had the same teacher but she taught that year in her class 3rd and 4th graders we were all in the same classroom together. For 4th grade I had a different teacher and she only taught 4th grade, same for 5th and 6th grade. Not sure how it worked but that's how it was.

This was my very first thought when I started reading this thread. TJHS isn't changing anything at all!

There is no doubt current and prospective TJ parents will fight this 'tooth and nail' just like they are doing with the school's slackened admissions requirements that were recently established to increase student diversity. Last I heard in February was that a judge had refused to issue an injunction to stop that change but is allowing the TJ parents' lawsuit against the Fairfax School Board to proceed.

If VADOE says VMPI is going to be the way of ensuring racial equity in math classes at public high schools in Virginia, I can't imagine it will give TJ an automatic exemption. If it does, parents and prospective parents at every STEM magnet high school in the state will be demanding exemptions as well.

Isn't this realignment of math classes just the ol' New York state 'sequential math'? And Cali is reporting in on this thread that is how they do it as well? The full phase-in looks to be 7 years away.....

I was going to ask that too. I remember the sequential math series of classes. They discontinued it in 2001. I remember sequential 1= algebra, 2= geometry and 3= trigonometry. There was also some other concepts thrown in there.
I did take seq 3 and pre-calc my junior year so I could take AP my senior year. I was in honors math.

Since I never had algebra 2, I have no idea what’s learned in it. Where I live now, it’s algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2. I’m guessing there’s no trigonometry anymore?

There is no doubt current and prospective TJ parents will fight this 'tooth and nail' just like they are doing with the school's slackened admissions requirements that were recently established to increase student diversity. Last I heard in February was that a judge had refused to issue an injunction to stop that change but is allowing the TJ parents' lawsuit against the Fairfax School Board to proceed.

If VADOE says VMPI is going to be the way of ensuring racial equity in math classes at public high schools in Virginia, I can't imagine it will give TJ an automatic exemption. If it does, parents and prospective parents at every STEM magnet high school in the state will be demanding exemptions as well.

TJ is one of 19 designated Governor's Schools in VA. Perhaps Governor's Schools will be exempt as a group? They already have unique curriculum requirements anyway.

I was going to ask that too. I remember the sequential math series of classes. They discontinued it in 2001. I remember sequential 1= algebra, 2= geometry and 3= trigonometry. There was also some other concepts thrown in there.
I did take seq 3 and pre-calc my junior year so I could take AP my senior year. I was in honors math.

Since I never had algebra 2, I have no idea what’s learned in it. Where I live now, it’s algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2. I’m guessing there’s no trigonometry anymore?

I recall my NYS sequential math as the 'building block' method that @DLgal referenced above. A little bit of each discipline intertwined into every grade level. Great if you live in the state all throughout HS, not so great if you move in or out during HS!

This program appears to allow students to take Calculus by senior year. How many schools provide math past Calculus anyway? If your kid takes Calc in 10th or 11th grade, doesn't that just mean they won't have math class senior year? Who cares WHEN they take Calc, just as long as they get to take it by graduation?

This program appears to allow students to take Calculus by senior year. How many schools provide math past Calculus anyway? If your kid takes Calc in 10th or 11th grade, doesn't that just mean they won't have math class senior year? Who cares WHEN they take Calc, just as long as they get to take it by graduation?
Mine did, years ago, not sure what they do now, but I had Calc AB 11th grade and Calc BC 12th grade. This was invaluable to me as an engineering major in college.

In my kids school district, in a certain track kids can take Calc in 11th, and then AP statistics or dual enroll for Calc 2 in 12th.

Mine did, years ago, not sure what they do now, but I had Calc AB 11th grade and Calc BC 12th grade. This was invaluable to me as an engineering major in college.

In my kids school district, in a certain track kids can take Calc in 11th, and then AP statistics or dual enroll for Calc 2 in 12th.
Interesting. My school district only offered AP Calc I. Worked for my brother, sister, husband, and BIL who are all engineers. They all took Calc II Freshman year of college. Worked for me too. I didn't go into Engineering, but it did save me from having to take a math course as a Freshman. I don't know what AB and BC is.

No AP Stats (we only had AP Calc, AP English, and AP Physics, no others), but it was available as an elective with Alg I as a prerequisite usually taken Sophomore or Junior Year. Seems like with this program, a student would still be allowed to take Calc and Stats.

This is what my DS15 plans to do, I think. He'll be ready for Calc next Jan., but I think it's only offered as a full-year course. So, he'll either do 2 years of Calc, either AP or dual-enrollment, or 1 year, then AP Stats. He wants to a chemical engineer, so he's very strong in math.

It sounds like the curriculum they are moving to is more practical. Data Analysis is a huge thing in the business world and learning how to analyze data is important.
I haven’t used the majority of high school math concepts since college.
My engineering major daughter is using hers a lot in college.

Huh, I wonder why so many people seem to think that Calculus is a prerequisite for Statistics?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter