• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Virgin Mobile Broadband To Go ...... anyone ever use it at a Disney Resort?

Yes with Mi-Fi you can use email and apps without roaming fees - but you will need to sign up for a rate plan with Virgin (and of course buy the Mi-Fi unit (you can get them at Wal-Mart and Best Buy in the US). For the Mi-Fi, these are the 2 plans they offer:
VjQwYpir5idRWNPX1LhI.png

And yes you would still need a voice plan - I just keep the one I currently have as we don't usually make any calls in the US from the cell.

Texting isn't part of the "data" package unless you are sending what they call "premium" messages (I think basically picture and video messages). I'm with Telus and I can text anywhere in N. America for free.

I'd prob need the month plan, as we'll be in Florida for a month, shy 2 days.
I'll be in my mom's condo in s. Fla first, and there isn't a phone in the condo, (or internet) as it's empty most of the time. I get down twice a year, so my cell phone is it, and laptop!

I'm with Telus too, and used to get free texting anywhere, but now with a smart phone, it's all changed. You have to get a U.S. texting plan, because iPhone roams with texting, don't understand it, or why it's different, just know it is. Ick. I like to send photos home, guess with the MiFi I could send them in e mails rather then in text message.
I was thinking of getting a pay as you go phone while there, for voice & texting, but having to lug around 2 phones, + MiFi- ugh.

I'm with Telus too, and used to get free texting anywhere, but now with a smart phone, it's all changed. You have to get a U.S. texting plan, because iPhone roams with texting, don't understand it, or why it's different, just know it is.
My hubby has an iPhone and I have an Android - so we both have the Clear Choice Voice and Data plans for smartphones with the option of "Unlimited outgoing and incoming text, picture and video messages" ... under the small print it says "Premium messages are not included. An additional 20¢ charge will apply for each text message or attachment sent outside of Canada and the US." I would definitely check with your local Telus store to see if you have this, or if you could switch to it. :confused3

My hubby has an iPhone and I have an Android - so we both have the Clear Choice Voice and Data plans for smartphones with the option of "Unlimited outgoing and incoming text, picture and video messages" ... under the small print it says "Premium messages are not included. An additional 20¢ charge will apply for each text message or attachment sent outside of Canada and the US." I would definitely check with your local Telus store to see if you have this, or if you could switch to it. :confused3

Clear choice? Huh! Haven't heard of it, but I will check with my Telus guy. Thanks.

O.K. I looked on Telus site and i do have the Clear Choice Voice & Data + text
But I'm fairly certain that I have to get a US roaming pkg for text. That's what they told me when I went to US in Jan. I got the US Voice Pass, and the Text Roaming. And you STILL have to pay 17 cents or something per text in US. I'm going to phone them again before I leave for NY at end of month.

Have you texted in the US with your iPhone? for free?

I just popped on here and was thrilled to find everyone discussing what I was in a dilemma over myself. What is the best way to get a wireless internet signal?

I am not a tech smart person ( but learning slowly) . I want to stream live on ustream from the parks and resorts on a small netbook when I am down. Considering that its a live stream what is my best bet for getting a good enough internet signal?

I do have a smartphone BUT the quality is not there and with movement it gets a bit blurry . Low battery time is another issue. ( droid htc eris)

If anyone has watched Lou Mongellos live live wdw streams shows you may have noticed he uses a laptop to stream from. No idea what he uses for internet. Looks a bit bulky to me but I can get a great hd quality webcam and thought of putting this on a more compact netbook , while using either one of the virgin mobile devices . Hearing how slow it can be what is my best bet ? Any advice ?

Update:

Speeds of 100-200 Kb/s using the MC760 direct into laptop or via the Zoom 4506 wirelessly, in Bay Lake Towers. Similar speeds wirelessly in Hollywood Studios park.

200-300 Kb/s in Jambo House, Animal Kingdom Lodge. These locations seemed to give fairly consistent speeds, not much affected by moving around the location.

Better speeds (usually 300 Kb/s, but even up to 1.1 Mb/s at one point) within Sheraton Vistana Resort, but variable even within the same room .... one advantage of the Zoom 4506 or Virgin MiFi would mean one could leave the MiFi where in the room you got the best signal and use your device wirelessly.
Maybe fewer people were using the local cell tower here?? (also, this was checked on the weekend, where the others were during the week).

NOT VIA VIRGIN: The wired internet (made wireless) in Bay Lake Towers was fine. The wired internet (made wireless) in Animal Kingdom Lodge sometimes gave an error page requiring a code (easily available from Support - dialed by '56' from the in-room phone), and some devices struggled to connect - there seemed no rhyme or reason to explain when they could and couldn't connect.

Sheraton Vistana Resort ; in-room wireless (free), but appaling connectivity (wireless signal present with good strength, but consistently slow / timed out). Unhelpful resort staff ("Its not intended for business use" -> 'how do you know its business use if you can't get to or past the log-in page!'), and the helpdesk they refer you to no better ("move to a different room" or "go to the welcome centre, they have a good signal there"). No wired option available to use my own wi-fi box.
VIA VIRGIN: Speeds slower than the wired but consisiently connected with no drop-outs / errors.

I'm happy to answer any queries I can / to help ; either here (if the OP is happy I'm not hijacking their thread), or by PM. Again, I hope this info is useful.

BazzaS.

I am loving all your advice. I am not advanced enough to understand everything but it does give me a better idea of what I am dealing with . Any advice for my issues ( above) ?

---------

Sorry OP . Hope you dont me adding on. Seemed silly for me to start a seperate post.

O.K. I looked on Telus site and i do have the Clear Choice Voice & Data + text
But I'm fairly certain that I have to get a US roaming pkg for text. That's what they told me when I went to US in Jan. I got the US Voice Pass, and the Text Roaming. And you STILL have to pay 17 cents or something per text in US. I'm going to phone them again before I leave for NY at end of month.

Have you texted in the US with your iPhone? for free?
Yes, my hubby has ... I also sent you a PM with more info :)

I just popped on here and was thrilled to find everyone discussing what I was in a dilemma over myself. What is the best way to get a wireless internet signal?

I am not a tech smart person ( but learning slowly) . I want to stream live on ustream from the parks and resorts on a small netbook when I am down. Considering that its a live stream what is my best bet for getting a good enough internet signal?

I do have a smartphone BUT the quality is not there and with movement it gets a bit blurry . Low battery time is another issue. ( droid htc eris)

If anyone has watched Lou Mongellos live live wdw streams shows you may have noticed he uses a laptop to stream from. No idea what he uses for internet. Looks a bit bulky to me but I can get a great hd quality webcam and thought of putting this on a more compact netbook , while using either one of the virgin mobile devices . Hearing how slow it can be what is my best bet ? Any advice ?

I am loving all your advice. I am not advanced enough to understand everything but it does give me a better idea of what I am dealing with . Any advice for my issues ( above) ?

---------

Sorry OP . Hope you dont me adding on. Seemed silly for me to start a seperate post.

The DOWNLOAD speeds I got (and have quoted) wouldn't support me viewing HD video. The key for you, if you want to SEND live HD video would be UPLOAD speed (which for 3G is usually less bandwidth / 'slower' than the download speed).

So, options would be to not stream it live but in "near real-time" (record it, then upload it as soon as possible), or look to a 4G solution checking that that would supply adequate upload bandwidth.

Sprint's coverage map shows no 4G signal for WDW itself.
Verizon's coverage checker says they have 4G available within zip 23820, but no detailed coverage map.
Tmobile's coverage map shows "4G very good" for WDW, and their "4G" includes HSPA (high speed packet access). If you can get them to commit to if they have adequate speed for what you want, then it will be HSUPA (High Speed _Upload_ packet access) that will be key for any live video streaming at good quality / definition, though you'll need a connection device / devices that will support this.

I regret that as an "Englishman abroad", and new to DISboards I have no idea who Lou Mongellos is, but could you find out what their set-up is?, as that set-up seems to work......

Cinders, I've also sent you a p.m., and can only hope that you will go to the ball! ;)

*p.m. Not sent, as the system won't let me, as I'm a newbie, and don't have 10 posts ...:(. *

Hey guys I am a travel agent and teckkie. I have been loaning the Mifi to my clients who want to purchase their own top off cards (with no liability on the speeds you get) what I found was that in higher level rooms without trees and an area of the room close to the window is the best spot to get good signal.

I personally prefer to get the unlimited plan when I go and I have LOTS of speed when I upload my pics to facebook and shutterfly. Though I have used the $10 plan on shorter trips and never quite topped off the limit. It's not something I would carry around in the park with me like someone mentioned. I've always had strong signal to my iphone then plus Disney is the one time you'd never find my cell phone glued to my hand.

Hey guys I am a travel agent and teckkie. I have been loaning the Mifi to my clients who want to purchase their own top off cards (with no liability on the speeds you get) what I found was that in higher level rooms without trees and an area of the room close to the window is the best spot to get good signal.

I personally prefer to get the unlimited plan when I go and I have LOTS of speed when I upload my pics to facebook and shutterfly. Though I have used the $10 plan on shorter trips and never quite topped off the limit. It's not something I would carry around in the park with me like someone mentioned. I've always had strong signal to my iphone then plus Disney is the one time you'd never find my cell phone glued to my hand.

Good to know. How small is it? And light? hard to tell from pics. The reason I would take it to the parks is for data and using the Lines App, etc with my iPhone. Our Canadian phones are very expensive to use in the U.S. with roaming charges for Data.
I plan on getting the unlimited plan, as we'll be in Florida for a month.

It's about the size of a 1/2 a deck of cards. it's pretty thin and I don't think you'd have a problem with it in a pocket but I would sit on it or get it wet. Maybe like a cargo pocket, but still it's not durable or intended to be moved around much. Though it's a to go device I think they still think you'd be in an office or coffee shop type place to use it because it's not rugged.

And my personal opinion the lines app along with some other ride times apps were so grossly inaccurate during my visits, I just never bothered with them again.

The charge really isn't that long on it if you are using it all the time and you could get slower speeds if you go over the 5G so keep that in mind if you are doing the monthly plan.

We are interested in getting the mifi for our travels. But we just domt know if its going to be worth it. Thanks for the info!

Good to know. We'll be in Florida for a month, so having internet for that lenght of time will more then pay for itself! Both at condo in Ft. Lauderdale and in WDW.
Dissapointing that Lines App wasn't accurate.

We plan to get one, especially since we can use it while driving in the van on the way. Just one more distraction for the kids.

I used it at CR and POR. It was good for looking up and posting on DISboards, checking email. But it was not good for uploading or downloading photos. I was trying to email some home to my mom and they took so long to load I finally gave up.

The DOWNLOAD speeds I got (and have quoted) wouldn't support me viewing HD video. The key for you, if you want to SEND live HD video would be UPLOAD speed (which for 3G is usually less bandwidth / 'slower' than the download speed).

So, options would be to not stream it live but in "near real-time" (record it, then upload it as soon as possible), or look to a 4G solution checking that that would supply adequate upload bandwidth.

Sprint's coverage map shows no 4G signal for WDW itself.
Verizon's coverage checker says they have 4G available within zip 23820, but no detailed coverage map.
Tmobile's coverage map shows "4G very good" for WDW, and their "4G" includes HSPA (high speed packet access). If you can get them to commit to if they have adequate speed for what you want, then it will be HSUPA (High Speed _Upload_ packet access) that will be key for any live video streaming at good quality / definition, though you'll need a connection device / devices that will support this.

I regret that as an "Englishman abroad", and new to DISboards I have no idea who Lou Mongellos is, but could you find out what their set-up is?, as that set-up seems to work......

Cinders, I've also sent you a p.m., and can only hope that you will go to the ball! ;)

*p.m. Not sent, as the system won't let me, as I'm a newbie, and don't have 10 posts ...:(. *

Wow thank you so much for all of that info ! Very helpful ! TMobile sounds the way to go. I will have to go check out their website and see if they have any devices similar to what I was looking at with Virgin ( Mifi or the usb kind I guess) . I will post back what I find out in case anyone else here is interested also.

The next thing I need to do is figure how the video I saw that was streamed live on Iphone came out so darn clear. I would gladly switch out my droid for that kind of video quality. Be nice to have the netbook and then the phone as backup .

Dont know if I mentioned this but I plan to be living near the parks soon and it would be great to have the ability to do weekly streams.

Yes the Disboards wants you to have 10 posts under your belt before PM'ing. When you do have it I gladly welcome any advice you have. You have been very helpful . Thank you so much :)

ADDED:
Okay just went to T-Mobiles site . I see they have mobile broadband data plans. Thats what I need right ? Looks like they have prepaid plans also . I guess I would need this first ?
http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/prepaid.aspx?shape=lcards#T-Mobile-Rocket-4G-USB-Laptop-Stick

Then the prepaid options are 1 Gb for 1 month for $30.00 and 3GB's for 1 month for $50.00 . How much GB's would I need for streaming ? Is 3g's enough ?

Thanks again

Let me know if you find a T Mobile device similar to the MiFi, small, lightweight. I'd look myself except I'm in Canada! The T-Mobile with 4G seems better then the Virgin.

---------

OP here......No problem Cinderella73. Hope this topic will be around for awhile, to help others with internet questions while at Disney. The more the merrier I always say! All questions concerning this topic are good ones and will help fellow Diser's out. popcorn:: :surfweb:

Let me know if you find a T Mobile device similar to the MiFi, small, lightweight. I'd look myself except I'm in Canada! The T-Mobile with 4G seems better then the Virgin.

(URL's start with ww. instead of 3 w's, as I'm too new here to post URL's directly)
TMobile's MiFi:
ww.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/?shape=mblhsp

However, a) it is $150, and b) it is locked to t-mobile.
In the same way I compared the Virgin MiFi and a combination of the Zoom 4506 and Virgin MC760 stick earlier in this thread, one might consider using a Zoom 4506 in combination with a Zoom 4597 USB stick modem for $150. (BTW, I haven't got a Zoom 4597 yet, it's "on the list" for my next trip, and, no, I don't work for Zoom!).
For me, or anyone else who already has a Zoom 4506 or similar unlocked personal wi-fi spot, it is only the extra ($80) cost of the USB stick .... another advantage of using a USB stick with an unlocked personal wi-fi hotspot.

The 4597 would allow access to TMobile's 3G/4G signal, at HSPA (but NOT HSPA+ speeds, but it should still be plenty fast for now) ..... (on the AWS / 1700 band), yet also AT&T's UMTS (2100/850 bands), if you later had no TMobile's signal elsewhere, but there was AT&T signal ... Just get an AT&T prepaid SIM.
ww.zoomtel.com/about/4597_3G_mobile.pdf

Using the Zoom 4597, it wouldn't be able to access Virgin's EVDO signal or Sprint's 4G Wimax signal, but this is the advantage of the Zoom 4506 box : if you move to an area that isn't covered by the original USB modem's provider, you don't have to start from scratch with a whole new MiFi, just the relevant USB stick part (so the Virgin MC760 for Virgin, or e.g Sprint U250 for Sprint).
So, more versatility.

Is Virgin MiFi locked to a provider? It's all a bit confusing to me!!
I'll be bringing my macbook & iPhone to Florida. I'll have no land line for 2 weeks of my trip (will be in Florida a month) So iPhone will be my life line,lol.

My thought is that I could carry the MiFi in my purse when I'm out, and be able to sign up for skype to make & recieve phone calls avioding the dreaded roaming and long distance charges. As well as having wifi for my lap top duting my trip.

Thank you for the WiFi 101 tutorials for us not as tecky people :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter